I❤️JV

Jaren Jackson Jr.'s path to stardom depends on eliminating unnecessary fouls, staying on court for Grizzlies

Even though he's almost had 2 years in the league, Jaren is still kind of getting rookie calls.  As he gains respect, strength, and experience ... things will calm down.  He can be as good as anyone in the league when he puts it all together.

He needs to rebound better as well. Just hitting three point shots isn’t going to make him all-pro. I believe he has the talent to be All-NBA but he has to improve as a rebounder and defender. 

His offensive moves are way too rushed and predictable. Hopefully this just improves over time but he doesn't seem to have much of a knack for creating. 

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

He needs to rebound better as well. Just hitting three point shots isn’t going to make him all-pro. I believe he has the talent to be All-NBA but he has to improve as a rebounder and defender. 

I see no reason why he won’t 

9 minutes ago, Dwash said:

His offensive moves are way too rushed and predictable. Hopefully this just improves over time but he doesn't seem to have much of a knack for creating. 

He ability to create is amazing for a 6’11 250 pound man

Again this is a 6’11 250 pound man handling the ball taking his man off the dribble all the way to the rack. He has consistently shown the ability to do this 

9 minutes ago, Allen said:

He ability to create is amazing for a 6’11 250 pound man

He puts the ball down right to left through his legs and drives left 80-90% of the time. He is like automatically programmed to do this move and he does it at the same rhythm/pace most of the time. It's skilled for his size but "amazing" for any shot creator is knowing how to set your opponent up and getting them out of their position to get around them, shoot over them or draw a foul. Not just doing the same move over and over cause it looks good for a big guy. 

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He puts the ball down right to left and drives left 80-90% of the time. It's skilled for his size but "amazing" for any shot creator is knowing how to set your opponent up and getting them out of their position to get around them, shoot over them or draw a foul. Not just doing the same move over and over cause it looks good for a big guy. 

Why are you expecting him to be as good at it as a guard though? How many 6’11 250 pound power forwards can do the things Jaren can do? 

At his size and with his skill set Jaren has a chance to be unguardable. Bigs aren’t going to be able to stay in front of him and guards are too small 

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

Why are you expecting him to be as good at it as a guard though? How many 6’11 250 pound power forwards can do the things Jaren can do? 

At his size and with his skill set Jaren has a chance to be unguardable. Bigs aren’t going to be able to stay in front of him and guards are too small 

Cause shot creating is not a useful talent, at ANY position, if a defender can just time you and sit on the same move. Yes bigs will be able to stay in front of him if they can always guess what he is gone do. He isnt *that* quick.  They do it now. This is why he has reverted to jacking so many threes to produce. 

Also, his funky form allows bigs to be able to backup and still contest his shot. 

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Cause shot creating is not a useful talent, at ANY position, if a defender can just time you and sit on the same move. Yes bigs will be able to stay in front of him if they can always guess what he is gone do. He isnt *that* quick.  They do it now. This is why he has reverted to jacking so many threes to produce. 

He jacks 3s because that is what the coaching staff wants him to do. We will see though. I don’t think teams are going to be able to do anything with him after a while 

He’s also still young and developing. I’m sure he will add more moves and improve his form with time.  Sometimes its like some of you forget that he’s only 20 

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

He’s also still young and developing. I’m sure he will add more moves and improve his form.   Sometimes its like some of you forget that he’s only 20. 

He still lacks a rhythm, pace and on the fly creativity imo that most guys that become scorers have even at 20. Maybe he gets it who knows.  Most young scorers mainly need to get stronger or shoot better but the scoring knack is usually more advanced than his. 

And I don't like hearing this coaching staff wants him shooting threes mess.  If he could take his man consistently and they knew if you think they would prefer watching Dillon Brooks shoot awful fade aways? 

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

He still lacks a rhythm, pace and on the fly creativity imo that most guys that become scorers have even at 20. Maybe he gets it who knows.  Most young scorers mainly need to get stronger or shoot better but the scoring knack is usually more advanced than his. 

And I don't like hearing this coaching staff wants him shooting threes mess.  If he could take his man consistently and they knew if you think they would prefer watching Dillon Brooks shoot awful fade aways? 

you think anyone wants brooks shooting fadeaways ? thats all on him

12 minutes ago, Crizzle said:

you think anyone wants brooks shooting fadeaways ? thats all on him

yes....Dillon wants it very much.

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

I think that the BEST option for Jaren is for him to primarily be a "high usage" 3 point shooter on offense (8 or more 3 point attempts per game) and an all-around defensive force/pest on defense.  With secondary rebounding and post-up scoring.  He should NOT chase blocked shots.  That gets big guys in foul trouble REALLY quick.  Maybe he posts up a bit more when Jonas is out of the game.  Jaren seems to be really good attacking mismatches.  Otherwise, he should stick to the basics.  I also want to see a heavy dose of Ja/Jaren high pick-and-pops which gives you Jaren clean looks at straightaway 3 point bombs AND gives Ja a ton of downhill momentum (also creating space for corner shooters and dive men on the baseline).  

I wouldn't be AS worried about foul trouble with Jaren.  I would even let him get 3 fouls before taking him out.  Then he basically sits out until halftime.  Teams have 13 active players per night.  Get some extra big men.  That's why we have Brandon Clarke on the roster -- so Jaren doesn't have to play 40 minutes a night.

An under-rated swing factor for Jaren (and other young bigs) is passing.  Quicker decision making, passing out of double teams/traps, and just plain moving the ball is BIG for bigs (so much switching and swarming) so if he figures that out then his floor spacing will be even more important and impact-full.  Jaren can then attack mismatches more readily -- and we can be more aggressive overall on offense.  

Right now we have 4 bigs who can play extensive minutes night in and night out: Jaren, Jonas, Clarke, and Dieng.  We should optimize their minutes and our big men rotations.  

Im still of the mindset that jackson is still getting used to his body seeing as he grew in between his freshman and softmore season. Who knows maybe he is still growing?!?!  I expect a lot more control of his movement in his future especially with his ball handling which is already good for a 7 footer

15 hours ago, Crizzle said:

Im still of the mindset that jackson is still getting used to his body seeing as he grew in between his freshman and softmore season. Who knows maybe he is still growing?!?!  I expect a lot more control of his movement in his future especially with his ball handling which is already good for a 7 footer

With us in the playoffs (or in POOL PLAY -- man that sounds dumb!), Jaren really has a chance to step up and prove himself and his potential.  It might show us glimpses of all star potential -- OR, if he is more of a high-level role player.  

I think we will find out fairly soon if Jaren has a sky-high trajectory or a more pedestrian trajectory.

offense
If he’s not playing pick and pop / roll with Ja - it most likely means he’s at the three point line to launch when defenses collapse to save the rim run.

I still say he will get the fouls under control. 

defense

i cannot understand the low rebound business.

is it the system/ game has changed / or (whatever sticks goes here )?

gonna speak on MacBo here . More than half of 50’s rebounds (z- bounds ) were put backs of his own shots. just looking at stats one might be misled.

I’m saying :

jab jab jab some more 

shot ( missed) 

2 ( maybe 3) offensive rebounds

a made shot  

add a foul (3points possible)  

Feed 50 worked - different style now.

We all know that Rodman knew what he needed to be in order to get his shine.

rebounding is not a glorious pursuit but bringing in 8 or better would be extremely helpful.

Not comparing 13 to the worm but you can see what I’m trying to say... maybe there will be times that 13 is gonna have to leave the point scoring to the other guys and get comfortable banging in the paint for rebounds.

5 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

offense
If he’s not playing pick and pop / roll with Ja - it most likely means he’s at the three point line to launch when defenses collapse to save the rim run.

I still say he will get the fouls under control. 

defense

i cannot understand the low rebound business.

is it the system/ game has changed / or (whatever sticks goes here )?

gonna speak on MacBo here . More than half of 50’s rebounds (z- bounds ) were put backs of his own shots. just looking at stats one might be misled.

I’m saying :

jab jab jab some more 

shot ( missed) 

2 ( maybe 3) offensive rebounds

a made shot  

add a foul (3points possible)  

Feed 50 worked - different style now.

We all know that Rodman knew what he needed to be in order to get his shine.

rebounding is not a glorious pursuit but bringing in 8 or better would be extremely helpful.

Not comparing 13 to the worm but you can see what I’m trying to say... maybe there will be times that 13 is gonna have to leave the point scoring to the other guys and get comfortable banging in the paint for rebounds.

That's literally untrue. There isn't a single season in his entire career where he averaged more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds (which would have to be the case to make what you're saying true). I know it *felt* like he got a ton of Z-Bounds, but that's not borne out by the stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randoza01.html

Jaren is 20 but acts like he is 13 or 15 his body is not a finish product either but that's not the issue mental maturity in and out of the court is the issue.

32 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Jaren is 20 but acts like he is 13 or 15 his body is not a finish product either but that's not the issue mental maturity in and out of the court is the issue.

How so? He seems like a pro

Jaren is Jaren.  Off the court, don't care but on the court he seems to be be in a better mood when he is hitting shots.  In a WORSE mood when he is in foul trouble and/or NOT hitting shots.  It's also possible that when he isn't shooting well or scoring well that he PRESSES on defense and gets called for fouls.  So it tailspins from there.

I don't even think that Jaren should worry about foul trouble (that's why you have more than two bigs on the roster).  I wouldn't sit him out in the first half until he gets 3 fouls.  

12 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

That's literally untrue. There isn't a single season in his entire career where he averaged more offensive rebounds than defensive rebounds (which would have to be the case to make what you're saying true). I know it *felt* like he got a ton of Z-Bounds, but that's not borne out by the stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/randoza01.html

I’m honestly surprised with this one ... eye test vs stats 

0 - 1 

I have seen Jaren go out and bang for boards, the only issue he has is if he has to have the desire to grab them instead of them falling to him. He doesn't seem to have the dog mentality to fight for them, I hope that changes as he matures