Sign in to follow this  
oldmanGrizz

Satellite TV question

I live about 40 miles from Memphis and get Grizzlies games through the regional sports package on DirecTV. I would like to change to Dish, but I'm not sure if I can get the games through them. They tell me i can, but if I switch and there is a problem, I probably can't go back to DirecTV. I don't have access to high speed internet to stream games by other means. Does anyone within the same radius to Memphis as me get games by Dish on their sports package? Thanks for any info I can get.

Just a couple of questions.

Why do you want to switch from DirecTV to Dish? Is it pricing? Certain channels not available,service, just want something different, etc. if it's only pricing, DTV generally has a retention team that will give you a good deal to keep you as a customer. 

Why do you feel Dish wouldn't carry the games? Are you worried they would be blacked out?I would assume as long as they have teh correct FoxSports channel, the grizz would be on it. 

Also, why couldn't you go back to DirecTV? I was with them for about 10 years and left twice and came back within a year. They don't care, they just want the subscription and always gave me a deal. I was on constant deals with them before i decided to go YouTube TV for good. I guess if you have to sign a contract with Dish, it may delay it but is NBA LP not an option? (obviously, that would be an additional expense and games may be blacked out i guess)

I want to switch mostly for pricing. I'm retiring so I'm looking to save pennies. I can get Dish with all the channels I want for almost $75 less a month for 2 years. There would be no switching back for at least 2 years without penalty. Customer service is an issue also. AT&T used to be pretty good. Recently it's been terrible. Dish can't be any worse. I'm not really interested in League Pass. I get enough games from other channels. My biggest concern is the blackout issue. I've had DirecTV for almost 20 years. At least once a season, and sometimes twice, I get blacked out for some reason. It usually takes several days and numerous phone calls before I can get it resolved. I'm just tired of DirecTV for other reasons too. Seems they are always added different fees to my bill for no reason. Lots of times I can get them removed, but they just don't seem to care whether I stay with them or not. Sometimes it's just best to move on from certain situations.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I understand. Part of the reason I left DirecTV was the additional charges they would slap on, especially for equipment.

It's a shame you don't have access to high speed internet. I thought there were some satellite companies that offered high speed internet, maybe HughesNet or something like that. Having a high speed internet connection gives you way more choices. I tried Sling TV for a little bit which is the first time I left DTV but SlingTV had just started and it was choppy and inconsistent. This second time I have been with YouTubeTV for over a year now, access to all local channels and great sports channels(ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, FoxSports affiliate, FS1,FS2, SEC Network, CBSSports, NBCSports, etc) for $50 a month. You may want to check with HughesNet to see if they offer high speed internet in your area.

Also, check with your neighbors on Dish. I would think they would carry games.

Last Fall Dish TV and the regional sports networks went into a carriage dispute that (I believe) is still ongoing today. It does include the stations that carry the Grizzlies. I, like you, have been a D'TV customer since the late 90's but I'm also weary of ever increasing rates and fees. My bills are high and I have none of the pay movie stations such as HBO. In addition to the Grizzlies, D'TV gives me all the St Louis Cardinals games that are a must, plus, when I'm in the mood, an occasional Nashville Predators NHL game. I know D'TV is constantly losing subscribers and the ones that remain have to make up for it. My kids and their families stream, but when I'm over at their houses, the picture sticks, pixilates, and jumps between hi-def and standard-def. I don't think I could handle that. I, like you, have recently retired. I have to have dependable access to the Grizzlies, Cardinals and occasionally (if I'm intoxicated) the Atlanta Braves. I know I'll eventually get to that tipping point and leave Directv. I'm just not there yet. I've included a link to a story about the Sinclair/Dish dispute. It's from February but I'm not sure it's changed, especially with the only sports on tv being cornhole, ax throwing and rock skipping.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2020/02/21/dish-remains-open-to-making-deal-with-sinclair-to.html

Dish hosed me at my home in Tx. No Super Bowl, due to dispute. I rent a room in a house in Memphis while I’m working, had Direct and was perfect for my sports. Well, the lady who owns the house shut it off, so I’m now on Roku, any suggestions on what I can do now? Hulu live? What from internet, Roku, prime, etc?

12 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Dish hosed me at my home in Tx. No Super Bowl, due to dispute. I rent a room in a house in Memphis while I’m working, had Direct and was perfect for my sports. Well, the lady who owns the house shut it off, so I’m now on Roku, any suggestions on what I can do now? Hulu live? What from internet, Roku, prime, etc?

i have Roku and use YouTube TV. it has all of the sports channels. It's $50/month. Here's a comparison of the most popular streaming services channel by channel:

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-vs-hulu-vs-sling-tv-vs-vs-philo-vs-fubotv-vs-at-t-tv-now-live-channels-compared/

I don't know if this helps, but Dish allows you to pay for League Pass in payments over the course of the season (total is/was $200).

I have had YoutubeTV in the past and now use Hulu.  The key is to use Roku, not a netbook which I started out doing.

Using a netbook as the "cable box" caused choppy results on fast sports like basketball and hockey.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, Father Pat said:

I don't know if this helps, but Dish allows you to pay for League Pass in payments over the course of the season (total is/was $200).

Thanks, but as long as I can get the Grizzlies plus TNT, TBS, and ESPN NBA games, I'm good with that.

Is XFINITY an option where you live, both for Internet and Cable?

If you aren't able to do Internet streaming, I'm guessing Dish, DirecTV, or XFINITY are your only option.

I take it also that you get blacked out going through League Pass through a mobile phone network?

On 5/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Is XFINITY an option where you live, both for Internet and Cable?

If you aren't able to do Internet streaming, I'm guessing Dish, DirecTV, or XFINITY are your only option.

I take it also that you get blacked out going through League Pass through a mobile phone network?

I can get DirecTV, Dish, and very low speed (not fast enough for streaming)  ATT wifi service. I do not wish to have League Pass. 

On 5/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, oldmanGrizz said:

I can get DirecTV, Dish, and very low speed (not fast enough for streaming)  ATT wifi service. I do not wish to have League Pass. 

Given those limited options, I would choose DirectTV because I don't trust that Dish has re-gained the Fox RSNs.  The Dish account exec  may have told you they carry Fox Sports Southeast, but I don't see it on their channel lineup.  I know Sling (Dish's streaming service) didn't carry it (dropped Fox SE in October), and even when I look at the Grizzlies page, they list U-Verse, Directv, Spectrum and Infiniti, but no Dish. 

If you can't get Spectrum or Infiniti, I think your only play is to call Directv and work your best deal.

Since you get AT&T, I suppose it is possible to call them and see about U-Verse.

****I want to add a big BUT here (not a big BUTT), if Dish did get the Fox RSNs back, I would think that the next dispute will be between Directv and Fox RSNs, and I would feel comfortable going with Dish.

I liked Dish when I went with them, and I preferred them over Directv because I would rather do the RedZone channel during NFL for $11/month vs. the whole Sunday Ticket.  They were also cheaper.