If you are neutral what is fair?

A) Grizz gets automatic 8th spot in the playoffs.

B) Single-elimination play-in tournament for the Western Conference between  five teams. Reward the Grizzlies with a bye to the final, where they’d face the winner of a Portland-New Orleans-Sacramento-San Antonio bracket.

3 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

B) Single-elimination play-in tournament for the Western Conference between  five teams. Reward the Grizzlies with a bye to the final, where they’d face the winner of a Portland-New Orleans-Sacramento-San Antonio bracket.

A is fair.

The other option is totally random.  Because most of those teams really ain't that good.  The league wants MOR ZION so that is the only reason these things are even a rumor.  

This would be "fair" IF they want to expand the playoff race.  Give the top 6 teams in each conference a bye.  Then have seeds 7-10 have 3 game mini-series to determine the 7 and 8 seeds.  After that I would make the "first" round a 5 game series.  

Grizzlies have EARNED it's 8th seed.  Ja Morant has EARNED the Rookie of the Year Award.  

Give Boston our pick (17th pick at the moment) and bring on the Lakers.

... the East ain't much of a race outside of a couple teams a bit out of the 8 hole (but I haven't really looked because I don't really care).  

"They" just want the Pels/Zion.  Whatever.  The Pels were roughly a .500 team WITH Zion.  His defensive stats are putrid even if his on/off looks great.  Hard to figure that guy out.  Looked more in shape at Duke.  His vertical looked much more impressive before the UNC shoe game blowout.  He's also a charisma vacuum.  

OR maybe THEY want to keep us OUT of the playoffs so Ja/Grizz won't potentially embarrass King James in the first round.  

Oh well, other than a series against the Lakers (I wouldn't bet the farm against us), bring on the draft!  I actually like the Celtics' chances at 17 (our pick).  Oh well.  I predict that if the Warriors wind up with Wiseman at one then us (40), Warriors (Wiseman, more picks), and the Celtics (multiple first and second rounders) then those 3 teams will wind up with 4 of the top 10 players out of this draft.  

Put a number on regular season games left to play and play it out. If we go straight to playoffs, grizzlies are in. We're not 1/2 game ahead, we're 3.5 games ahead with like 17 games left to play. Completely ridiculous to change the rules and throw us into some BS tournament

On 5/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, Grizzfan7979 said:

Put a number on regular season games left to play and play it out. If we go straight to playoffs, grizzlies are in. We're not 1/2 game ahead, we're 3.5 games ahead with like 17 games left to play. Completely ridiculous to change the rules and throw us into some BS tournament

Agreed

On 5/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, I❤️JV said:

I would imagine that the 2nd option is fairer but life isn't fair so I take option A. 

When MLB had their midseason strike the league didn't reward the Reds who won the most games that season with a playoff spot because they didn't qualify in the first half or the second half. Sometimes sports aren't fair. 

I feel the N.B.A will go straight to the play -off once this virus is over .it will take to long to play out the rest of the reg season . after missing over 2 months 

If you don't go straight into the playoffs, I think they should make everyone get to the same amount of games played (like 70-72 games played per team). Like we've played 65 games, we would play 7 more games to get to 72 games played (i guess just play the next 7 opens opponents from the original schedule). Portland would need to only play 6 games, new Orleans would need to play 8 games.

That's the only fair way to do it I think. Those are the warm up games for the playoffs as well, and will help figure out draft odds as well.  That would take about 2 weeks give or take, then right into the playoffs. They would take about 2 months, probably quicker than normal since there is no travel needed. If you started by the middle of June, you could be done by the end of September. They can then decide if they want to just take a month off and go to the next year or wait until Christmas day. 

A is fair. I think if the NBA comes back we should just start with the playoffs 

"A"  is the fair answer.  You don't doctor up the outcome when the season stops.  The season has stopped.  How many teams clinched before they stopped?  Why don't they have to keep going?  Why do we get singled out?  There is only one reason.  They want Zion.  What are you gonna do the next time a popular star gets injured in an 82 game season?  You want to make extra rules to give his team a shot?  Why don't we just have a fan vote to see which teams make it just like they do for All-Star Game starters?  I'll tell you why, because it would totally defeat any purpose in competing and the league would be just like WWE.  If they start trying to manipulate to get their desired results, I'm through after more than 50 years of NBA basketball.

As an outsider, I don't think "freezing" the standings (or even playing any number of additional games short of the full 82-game slate) is the fair option, since it disadvantages franchises that had their tough part of the schedule earlier in the season or withstood more injuries earlier in the season.

What would create the most excitement and be "fairest" in my opinion would be taking the current seedings, having the current 7th seed play the 10th seed and the 8th seed play the 9th seed in a best-of-3 series. Winners make the playoffs, with whoever has the highest win percentage of the two teams winning those series getting the 7th seed and the other team getting the 8th seed (in an ideal world, you'd have another game between the winners to determine the higher seed, but acknowledge that would just add time to an already compressed schedule).

However, as a Grizz fan, I'm all for freezing standings as they are right now!

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

As an outsider, I don't think "freezing" the standings (or even playing any number of additional games short of the full 82-game slate) is the fair option, since it disadvantages franchises that had their tough part of the schedule earlier in the season or withstood more injuries earlier in the season.

What would create the most excitement and be "fairest" in my opinion would be taking the current seedings, having the current 7th seed play the 10th seed and the 8th seed play the 9th seed in a best-of-3 series. Winners make the playoffs, with whoever has the highest win percentage of the two teams winning those series getting the 7th seed and the other team getting the 8th seed (in an ideal world, you'd have another game between the winners to determine the higher seed, but acknowledge that would just add time to an already compressed schedule).

However, as a Grizz fan, I'm all for freezing standings as they are right now!

I guess there are multiple angles to look at this from, but I don't agree that your scenario is fair to the Grizzlies (the 8th seed) and Mavericks (the 7th seed) to potentially be screwed out of the playoff spot that they worked their tails off to be in position for with fifteen games remaining, simply because they had a couple off games.  

I don't like the 7-10 thing because there is zero reason to do that for the eastern conference. Their playoffs are already set more or less. And you can't just do it in the west, because that's completely unfair to us and Dallas. 

They seemingly plan to bring all the teams back, so i don't see a scenario where a play in tournament will happen. That's what the regular season is for anyway. Maybe they can finish the regular season, but that will take almost a full month to complete, which is why I think a condensed season makes sense. 

I understand just freezing the standings if they just want to deal with less people there. That would effectively cut the number of people that need to be housed and tested in half. 

They really want that many people? I still think it would be safer to have just playoff teams

At the end of the day, 16 teams have 30 or more wins- 8 of them happen to be in the Eastern Conference and 8 happen to be in the Western Conference. That settles it for me. Just go straight to the playoffs. The Grizz are 3.5 games up on the 9th seed and the Magic are 5.5 games up on the 9th seed. There is clear separation in each conference (I wish the Grizz would not have lost 2 out of their last 3 cause this wouldn't even be an issue if the cushion was 5 or more games)

Only 4 teams had clinched a playoff berth at the time. You could take the top 16 records regardless of conference and it will still be the same teams. People wanting a tourney are either sour their team isn't in or trying to force Zion in imo.

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

People wanting a tourney are either sour their team isn't in or trying to force Zion in imo.

Agreed...

and here we go ...

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/5/18/21263042/new-orleans-pelicans-return-nba-practice-playoffs-grizzlies-griffin-zion-williamson-kenrich-saints

I don't like the idea of going straight to the playoffs. I'll take whatever the NBA gives us, but I would prefer a 5-7 game finish to the regular season before starting the playoffs, all things considered.

I think they're going to try and take the risk of playing the regular season out in a bubble. Atleast the games that still mean something to the playoff standings. The biggest hurdle will be access to fast testing. There's tons of different rapid tests being developed, a lot in research-only trials, so hopefully some get approved soon.

Disneyworld would be the place, it's big enough to fit the entire league+family. There'd be no travel so they could play the season out even faster and since teams would be free to leave after being eliminated, it would probably be something like 3 months max in the bubble. With their family around and maybe some things to do in the park I think teams would be willing to go for it.

It also makes more sense to try and finish a season that's already 75% done over trying to get a full season for next year when there won't be fans either way.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:22 AM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Yeah you guys are right.

Griffin seemingly hinted at either a modified schedule or i guess possibly a play in tournament. 

It personally makes the most sense to go straight to the playoffs, it would be no different to the lockout shortened year. Having to coordinate 14 less teams is the real benefit there. Obviously those teams vying for the playoffs will feel it is unfair. Obviously now is a decent time to test what next season could possibly look like as well with all the teams coming back. 

19 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Everytime I see this topic, I keep thinking you are asking, What is Love?

Classic. I remember dancing to that at my jr high dances. 

7 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Yeah you guys are right.

Griffin seemingly hinted at either a modified schedule or i guess possibly a play in tournament. 

It personally makes the most sense to go straight to the playoffs, it would be no different to the lockout shortened year. Having to coordinate 14 less teams is the real benefit there. Obviously those teams vying for the playoffs will feel it is unfair. Obviously now is a decent time to test what next season could possibly look like as well with all the teams coming back. 

Exactly.  The season is what it is.  Too bad for the Pelicans that Zion wasn't there for them due to injury.  It happens frequently in the league.  They don't need any play-in tournaments.  That's just fixing things because they don't like how things turned out.  If the entire season cannot be finished by EVERY team in the league, then the fair thing is go with current results.

Zion has been hurt, JJJ has been hurt ....that's part of the sport. For me there is only 2 options :

- We finish the regular season and get into PO. The most fair solution but impossible to do with this situation.

- We go into the PO and we face Fakers in 1st round.

20 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Having to coordinate 14 less teams is the real benefit there.

I did not even think about this one.

Another yes straight to the playoffs.

What is fair?...it's a wrong question i guess...the right question?....what is the main objective in finishing the season?....Honest answer is.... to make as much money as possible...well technically to lose as little as possible....so if we agree on that lets speculate on the NBA return.

1 When? my guess play starts between mid July and 1st of August.

2. Where? Orlando...there is suggestion of using 2 sites....but using only one is cheaper.

3.What format?....All 30 teams returns and play 5-7 games...so that every team will have 70-72 games....why?

to fulfill local TV deals....and get playoff teams warm up games....what's in it for non playoffs teams? ...well you're getting paid ...so you need to play...we need some carrot for them and i can't really think of one...is some sort of play in turney possible?...well...everything is possible but IMO highly unlikely....

4. How sure we are playing LeBron in R1?...my guess about 97%

5. Do i wish LeBron injury or COVID-19...so we are in R2?...hmm...well....no comment.