Would you rather?   

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you rather?

    • Lose to fakers in 4 games
    • Miss the playoffs but get number 1 pick this year.


Recommended Posts

This is probably the best year to give up that pick. There are no clear cut favorites in this draft. Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, Anthony all have serious questions. If there has been any year when I wouldn't want a lottery pick, let alone the first pick, it's this year. Convey the pick to BOS to fulfill the obligation and keep it moving for next year. I would rather see us add talented young veterans a la Winslow and Jones than add another lottery pick (unless it's a LeBron James guaranteed superstar type)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No brainer. As much as i’d like this new core to reach the playoffs in its first season, #1 pick beats been swept any day. Even in a weak draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the pick pretty easily. Now if you were to say just a top 5 then it becomes a tougher decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

This is probably the best year to give up that pick. There are no clear cut favorites in this draft. Edwards, Wiseman, Ball, Anthony all have serious questions. If there has been any year when I wouldn't want a lottery pick, let alone the first pick, it's this year. Convey the pick to BOS to fulfill the obligation and keep it moving for next year. I would rather see us add talented young veterans a la Winslow and Jones than add another lottery pick (unless it's a LeBron James guaranteed superstar type)

I can see Boston getting a top 5 guy out of this draft with our pick.  I can also see is getting a top 5 player with the 40th pick (from Phoenix).  I can’t imagine Wiseman not being at least a very solid number one pick.  I would be shocked if he is not at least close to being a top 5 pick in this draft.

His upside/ceiling comps (to me) are just really really good.

 But... bring on the Lakers.  Especially in a short series.  If a “worst case scenario” is true then round 1 could be best of 3. I think that could actually be a coin flip.  

On the other hand... is it too early for me to do a 2021 Big Board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get the pick

 

But if the NBA does come back in July........How awesome will that be watching the Grizz in July.

 

 

I think we lose the series 4-1. I think we steal a win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you rather watch at least two playoff games against the LA Brons in the Forum or have a 0.5% chance of getting the #1 pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Would you rather watch at least two playoff games against the LA Brons in the Forum or have a 0.5% chance of getting the #1 pick?

Bring on the Lakers!

"Good" odds for the top pick basically went out the window once Ja Morant showed up.  

I would want the first pick only because I am super high on James Wiseman.  He could learn from JV how to be tough and score inside plus he would be an AWESOME complement to Jaren inside as our twin tower lineup of the future.  

I actually think Boston does a better job at 17 (our conveyed pick) than do most teams in the lottery.  One board out there has the C's taking Aleksej Pokusevski and that kid is super skinny and super raw but has a ton of upside.  ... I still like our odds at 40.  The draft looks a bit "flatter" just outside the lottery into the middle of the second round or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have the #1 pick than lose in the first round. Then you have a top 4-5 players set and can focus on building around the edges and building continuity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 5:38 PM, fanboyslim said:

Would you rather watch at least two playoff games against the LA Brons in the Forum or have a 0.5% chance of getting the #1 pick?

That’s the realistic question to ask. Bring the Lakers and send Boston the pick with a postcard signed “Love, Chris Wallace”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, misae said:

That’s the realistic question to ask. Bring the Lakers and send Boston the pick with a postcard signed “Love, Chris Wallace”.

Boston can win this draft at 17 and they also have some other (even MORE mediocre) draft picks.

Although I think we will have a good chance at drafting a good player at 40.

This draft might be "deeper" than the 2021 draft even if it isn't projected to be as good at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who in this draft is worth missing the playoffs and the confidence building experience our guys would get?  I don't see anyone worth that.  Bring on the LeBrons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Who in this draft is worth missing the playoffs and the confidence building experience our guys would get?  I don't see anyone worth that.  Bring on the LeBrons.

+1.

Exactly. I think some people want to delay things so much in the hopes that they will find lightning in a bottle that they will ignore an obvious pragmatic solution staring them right in the face, Personally, I want to fulfill obligations/debts and move on. This has been lingering and if ever there was a time to give BOS a crap pick, it's now. I'm not excited about the #1 pick in this draft. At one time, I wanted to see Wiseman and JJJ together but I question his mentality. I've said before Ball is the only guy I would select and that's stretching it imo. 

The last time I had a discussion like this was around 2016, where I was all in favor of tanking, missing the playoffs and giving up our pick. Unfortunately, we made the playoffs, kept our draft pick and ended up selecting...........Wade friggen Baldwin. Yeah, that worked out well. Now, granted, we did finish the season 1-10 in our last 11 games, but we could have gone 0-13 imo(or shut down after the All Star Break).It's best to just get those obligations out of the way as soon as possible with the least amount of impact so you can plan ahead. Just my opinion and the route that I would take. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

. I've said before Ball is the only guy I would select and that's stretching it imo. 

I’m with you on Ball ... sure he has a lot of maturing to do ... he definitely has skill and his age fits right in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

+1.

Exactly. I think some people want to delay things so much in the hopes that they will find lightning in a bottle that they will ignore an obvious pragmatic solution staring them right in the face, Personally, I want to fulfill obligations/debts and move on. This has been lingering and if ever there was a time to give BOS a crap pick, it's now. I'm not excited about the #1 pick in this draft. At one time, I wanted to see Wiseman and JJJ together but I question his mentality. I've said before Ball is the only guy I would select and that's stretching it imo. 

The last time I had a discussion like this was around 2016, where I was all in favor of tanking, missing the playoffs and giving up our pick. Unfortunately, we made the playoffs, kept our draft pick and ended up selecting...........Wade friggen Baldwin. Yeah, that worked out well. Now, granted, we did finish the season 1-10 in our last 11 games, but we could have gone 0-13 imo(or shut down after the All Star Break).It's best to just get those obligations out of the way as soon as possible with the least amount of impact so you can plan ahead. Just my opinion and the route that I would take. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other

We whiffed on a few picks right after we put our "core" together and not just Thabeet.  Didn't know about passing on Nikola Jokic, but we also passed on Draymond Green or Will Barton for Tony Wroten which was a draft where our window was still open.  Those drafts weren't actually that good, so if a good player is available you kinda have to go 1/3.  Hitting on one of those guys (anybody but Thabeet, drafting Dray or Barton, drafting Jokic) raises your ceiling as a "contender" and also EXTENDS your core's prime/peak.  

We have a good foundation now, but we still have to keep building.  We don't have to draft EVERY good player (sleeper) that's still available but we can't go "0-3".  Thabeet/Wroten/Jordan Adams/Wade Baldwin weren't even great fits and they didn't have tons of upside (even at the time) relative to maybe some of the other prospects.

Teams like us and Dallas New Orleans and Atlanta have good-to-great foundations but they still have to keep building and drafting well.  The next few drafts will determine which of these young teams have sky-high upside as legit title contenders or who will be closer to long-term also-rans.

Maybe if we draft guys with a solid combo of Upside/Fit and not worry AS MUCH about the downside/floor we could hit on some sleeper picks and really help our core going forward.  We could also trade down a bit in some of the drafts and trade for picks so we get more chances to "swing for the fences".  

I think Wiseman is a really good prospect for what he is (archetype) but the depth of this draft is probably outside the top 5 and maybe even outside the top 10.

I think we need to draft at least one more REALLY GOOD player by the time the "double draft" rolls around.  Another solid rotation piece would help too.  One of each might the MINIMUM we need to have a chance at meeting/exceeding our long-term ceiling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, fanboyslim said:

Would you rather watch at least two playoff games against the LA Brons in the Forum or have a 0.5% chance of getting the #1 pick?

I want to see the Grizzlies shock the world and upset the Fakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this team needs to have a winning  additude making the play off with this new young Grizzlies team  would be huge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I want to see the Grizzlies shock the world and upset the Fakers. 

it's not nice to wish COVID-19 on LeBron in game 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Who in this draft is worth missing the playoffs and the confidence building experience our guys would get?  I don't see anyone worth that.  Bring on the LeBrons.

Nobody knows that 100%, but even the 2000’s had three All Stars. If you get #1 you have more options than anybody to select a very solid player, and you always need solid players.

Of couse we are talking fairy tales here. We’re not getting #1 and we should always play to win, but a #1 beats a sweep in first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misae said:

Nobody knows that 100%, but even the 2000’s had three All Stars. If you get #1 you have more options than anybody to select a very solid player, and you always need solid players.

Of couse we are talking fairy tales here. We’re not getting #1 and we should always play to win, but a #1 beats a sweep in first round.

Our draft math said that we would have had to had been one of the WORST two teams in the league to assure us keeping our pick (top 6 protected pick).  So, that's no fun.  Then I guess we started playing well and then we made the playoff push.  

It would have been one thing if we had tanked the entire year for James Wiseman (at a minimum: dunks/blocks/rebounds/tickets) it would have been ANOTHER if we had wound up in the 4-6 range (most probable outcome) with no "obvious" sure-fire draft talents.  

We get to play the Lakers (at some point I guess) AND we will control our own draft destiny from here on out: two really, really awesome outcomes.  I also think we have a good shot at drafting a really good player at 40.  Hopefully we draft for UPSIDE instead of FLOOR (with "fit/culture/need" being the tiebreaker between potential draft prospects).  Based on track records, I think the Wariors and Celtics win the draft and I think we have a good shot at getting a good sleeper pick at 40.  

I have been saying "bring on the Lakers!" for awhile now, so ... bring on the Lakers!

 

P.S. The playoffs will also show us what we need to add to the core so we can move up in the NBA's pecking order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misae said:

Nobody knows that 100%, but even the 2000’s had three All Stars. If you get #1 you have more options than anybody to select a very solid player, and you always need solid players.

Of couse we are talking fairy tales here. We’re not getting #1 and we should always play to win, but a #1 beats a sweep in first round.

Unless your #1 is the second coming of Hasheem Thabeet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lions said:

this team needs to have a winning  additude making the play off with this new young Grizzlies team  would be huge 

Would be awesome after the past couple of seasons we had 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Unless your #1 is the second coming of Hasheem Thabeet.

May Anthony Bennet be with you.

At this point I see this FO unable to fail. We’re not worthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now