grizzgolf

How Come The Eariler Memphis Grizzlies Teams Get No Love?

Just curious why none of the earlier teams in Memphis history that made the playoffs never get a lot of love? I still remeber being in high school when we took on the spurs.  Miller, Williams, Swift, Pau to name a few people might know. Some good teams back then. 

Lol gotta be joking they never won a playoff game. Three straight sweeps will make you pretty unforgettable to a fan base. 

40 minutes ago, QMemphis said:

Lol gotta be joking they never won a playoff game. Three straight sweeps will make you pretty unforgettable to a fan base. 

That group was tough as nails. It really was disheartening to them that they had just crushing losses early in each series. It would have been different if any of these games went our way. We may not have won the series, but it would've been much more competitive. We would have had our 'towel moment' years earlier than 2011. In 2004 Mike Miller missed a wide open game winning shot in game #3 vs the Spurs at The Pyramid. The next season in game #2 at Phoenix, we pretty much lead wire to wire, except the last few minutes when the Suns did all the scoring. Pau pretty much carried us here. Finally the year after that in game #3 vs Dallas at the FEF we scrapped out a 3 point lead in the last seconds. The Mavs missed a free throw we batted around like a hot potato and never could get it. Of course the ball got slapped out to Dirk Nowitzki who buried a 30 footer to force overtime where we rolled over. 0-12 in three seasons. This team deserved better.

3 hours ago, UofMark said:

That group was tough as nails. It really was disheartening to them that they had just crushing losses early in each series. It would have been different if any of these games went our way. We may not have won the series, but it would've been much more competitive. We would have had our 'towel moment' years earlier than 2011. In 2004 Mike Miller missed a wide open game winning shot in game #3 vs the Spurs at The Pyramid. The next season in game #2 at Phoenix, we pretty much lead wire to wire, except the last few minutes when the Suns did all the scoring. Pau pretty much carried us here. Finally the year after that in game #3 vs Dallas at the FEF we scrapped out a 3 point lead in the last seconds. The Mavs missed a free throw we batted around like a hot potato and never could get it. Of course the ball got slapped out to Dirk Nowitzki who buried a 30 footer to force overtime where we rolled over. 0-12 in three seasons. This team deserved better.

Crushing losses indeed.

Those teams still got (and get) love, it's just fading away due primarily to the Core 4 run and plain ol' time passing.

Hopefully we'll get a season next year, which I believe is when we celebrate the 20 year Memphis anniversary. That should provide opportunities to stroll down memory lane and revisit those days.

4 hours ago, QMemphis said:

Naw Those early playoffs teams were fun to watch and the reason I fell in love with the Grizz. And to be fair the core 4 technically didn’t win **** either 

They've gotten a lot of love on this board in the past but we have made it to the WCF since then and now have back to back lottery picks who look very promising, I think people focus on the most recent history with this team. There's a lot of down times with this team. Grit N Grind forged an identity throughout the league and now we have two promising stars, if not superstars. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

There's a lot of down times with this team. Grit N Grind forged an identity throughout the league and now we have two promising stars, if not superstars. 

Yeah.  No superstars with our earlier playoff runs.  Pau Gasol is a future HOFer but basically underrated his whole career then finally got hyped up on the Lakers.  That Grit 'n Grind team had better top end talent and a more identifiable brand.  

The Pau teams also had a bunch of moving pieces.  Pau and Lorenzen were there the whole time but we had different guards (Mike Miller/J Will/Bibby/Bonzi).  I guess Shane Battier was there for that run too (and then came back later).  

23 hours ago, Allen said:

Naw Those early playoffs teams were fun to watch and the reason I fell in love with the Grizz. And to be fair the core 4 technically didn’t win **** either 

this

all of this

23 hours ago, Allen said:

I wish our core FIVE of Conley/TA/Rudy/Z Bo/Marc had run out the string.  I wonder what would have happened....

On 5/5/2020 at 1:41 PM, Allen said:

Fun sure Hubie won coach of the year and Fratelo was decent. We drafted terribly had a great bench and a passive star. Only thing that makes me think about that time is being one pick short of Lebron which would have changed everything.