Ole Dirty Klondike

What to do with SloMo?

Here's a story from The Athletic: There’s a place for Kyle Anderson in the NBA — that place might not be Memphis

Just wondering people's thoughts on SloMO...I like SloMo and feel he does a lot of little things that help, but once they traded for Winslow, he's pretty much expendable. Hate to see him get traded but that's the smart move even if there's is a trade kicker. I would rather bring Jae Crowder back on a 2 or 3 year deal than have SloMo going forward. I think Jae is a better fit whether on or off of the bench.

What say you? What should we do with SloMo and why. 

Yeah, I like Kyle... he seems like a great guy and a great teammate, and in principle I appreciate the type of player he his and all of the little things he does on the court to make a positive impact.  That being said though, I have to concur with the article that he is no longer a good fit for this team and the direction in which it is headed.  He essentially acts as a giant wrench in the gears of the offense every time he is on the court with Ja and Jaren.  If he could actually be relied upon to make an open jumpshot then there might be a chance of it working, but we all know that the chances of Kyle knocking down a J are relatively low... and that's assuming he's even able to get one off in the first place.  

Package him with the Suns 2nd rounder to move up in the draft if there is a player we really like.

If we trade Slo Mo then we need shooting or rim protection in return.  

Maybe we can send him back to the Spurs.  The Warriors might be able to use him as an Iggy replacement.  Slo Mo might best be used as a small back backup point center.  

I think Kyle is fine, but he's not really a 3, and we have better options at the 4. I doubt we'd get that much back for him. As long as jaren plays must of his time at the 4 (so at least through next year) I just don't see him getting a lot of minutes. He's certainly a good presence, and definitely has his uses. He just doesn't fit what we're trying to do schematically (he isn't athletic and can't shoot). There are a few teams in the east that could really use him. 

I'm still fine with keeping him because he's on a good contract and he can fill in nicely when someone goes down to injury. 

Solid lockeroom guy unless a deal comes along that makes sense keep him for depth purposes. His best position is now PF which makes him our 3rd option. 

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

Trade that man

for who and what in return 

12 hours ago, QMemphis said:

Solid lockeroom guy unless a deal comes along that makes sense keep him for depth purposes. His best position is now PF which makes him our 3rd option. 

good asset coming off the bench

21 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Package him with the Suns 2nd rounder to move up in the draft if there is a player we really like.

If we trade Slo Mo then we need shooting or rim protection in return.  

Maybe we can send him back to the Spurs.  The Warriors might be able to use him as an Iggy replacement.  Slo Mo might best be used as a small back backup point center.  

perfect backup for bensimmons

3rd stringer.  9-10 million dollar expiring contract in 2021-22.  Perfect for a trade. 

I'd say if a home run offer comes along you trade him or right at the deadline. I wouldn't do it in the "offseason" because we still have some big unknowns.

Winslow's health being # 1. Can he make it through a season? 

Is Josh coming back? That is another factor that I think will play into any Kyle decision.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

3rd stringer.  9-10 million dollar expiring contract in 2021-22.  Perfect for a trade. 

100% this 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:28 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Here's a story from The Athletic: There’s a place for Kyle Anderson in the NBA — that place might not be Memphis

Just wondering people's thoughts on SloMO...I like SloMo and feel he does a lot of little things that help, but once they traded for Winslow, he's pretty much expendable. Hate to see him get traded but that's the smart move even if there's is a trade kicker. I would rather bring Jae Crowder back on a 2 or 3 year deal than have SloMo going forward. I think Jae is a better fit whether on or off of the bench.

What say you? What should we do with SloMo and why. 

lmao..actually kyle fits perfectly with the new core...he can share the floor with ja,dillion,3js or clarke with out a problem because of his high iq,versatility and playmaking skills...may even be part of the new core

ja,dillion,slowmo.clarke,3js...may just end up being our deadliest lineup

in terms of long term fit...JV is the one i would let go or trade...being that we have a future allstar maybe HOF in Jaren that can play center

14 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

100% this 

Yes i think it's the right tine to trade him if someone interest. Definitly a nice guy and was okay when we were an average team. But as we will be very good soon, it may be hard for him to have a place. 

15 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Is Josh coming back? That is another factor that I think will play into any Kyle decision.

Right. 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:28 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I would rather bring Jae Crowder back on a 2 or 3 year deal

I like this idea.

I may or may not have mentioned this fifty- eleven times ... need some crazy.

Our toughest guys are gone.

Earlier this season Jae was Mr- Bring it if you want to.  Mr. Square Up and let’s see.

Before him we had Noah ( yes to Noah) . Noah wasn’t even a fight type player - he was excellent at getting under people’s skin. And he was playing like every game was the playoffs.

Zbo before that. Zbo is built different- no games were being played - at all. His name rang - period.

I’m not saying we need to bring the Pistons bad boys BUT we need at least one Mr. Square Up type. 
( and one “I think this guy IS nuts...type)

I saw JV bring it a couple of times.

I’m definitely not advocating hockey’s stick droppers - but someone to let you know it’s nothing to get you touched up. 

15 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

lmao..actually kyle fits perfectly with the new core...he can share the floor with ja,dillion,3js or clarke with out a problem because of his high iq,versatility and playmaking skills...may even be part of the new core

ja,dillion,slowmo.clarke,3js...may just end up being our deadliest lineup

in terms of long term fit...JV is the one i would let go or trade...being that we have a future allstar maybe HOF in Jaren that can play center

No, he can't, because the defense just ignores him and it takes away Ja's driving lanes and lets help defense close out open 3s because there's a guy they don't have to worry about out there. At least with JV they can't help off him near the rim or he'll just get a dunk.

Our death lineup is Ja, Dillon, ??? (winslow? Free agent?), Clarke, JJJ

5 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Right. 

I like this idea.

I may or may not have mentioned this fifty- eleven times ... need some crazy.

Our toughest guys are gone.

Earlier this season Jae was Mr- Bring it if you want to.  Mr. Square Up and let’s see.

Before him we had Noah ( yes to Noah) . Noah wasn’t even a fight type player - he was excellent at getting under people’s skin. And he was playing like every game was the playoffs.

Zbo before that. Zbo is built different- no games were being played - at all. His name rang - period.

I’m not saying we need to bring the Pistons bad boys BUT we need at least one Mr. Square Up type. 
( and one “I think this guy IS nuts...type)

I saw JV bring it a couple of times.

I’m definitely not advocating hockey’s stick droppers - but someone to let you know it’s nothing to get you touched up. 

If we don't think WInslow is healthy after all of this time off, then that was a horrible trade. I suspect he's fine and should be able to go especially if we don't start back up until next season. 

I agree with you on the tough guy stuff. JV did step in and move Knicks like he was clearing the kitchen shelf so I don't think anybody want any problems with him, but he ain't crazy like that and he can't be alone. We are too nice right now which makes it easy to push us around, kind of like when Kobe elbowed Mike Miller in the head or whatever after his concussion issues. We need a Metta World Peace type on this team, a TA throwback, a Tuff Juice. Jae is closer than anyone on our current team but we need someone else as well.  

21 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

I'd say if a home run offer comes along you trade him or right at the deadline. I wouldn't do it in the "offseason" because we still have some big unknowns.

i'll say it again, if we are worried about WInslow's health, that trade is a fail. 

As far as Josh Jackson, not sure if his presence would affect retaining SloMo. Jackson is more suited as a 2/3 whereas these days, Anderson is better suited as a 4, not even as a 3. Who knows with the financial situation of the NBA, Jackson may not have a choice but to take a small deal. We only had a very small sample size on him though in a Grizz uni. 

Until we get minutes from Winslow and see how that's going to work, or not, I'd rather hang onto him until rotations look right, unless of course some sweet deal comes along.

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

i'll say it again, if we are worried about WInslow's health, that trade is a fail. 

As far as Josh Jackson, not sure if his presence would affect retaining SloMo. Jackson is more suited as a 2/3 whereas these days, Anderson is better suited as a 4, not even as a 3. Who knows with the financial situation of the NBA, Jackson may not have a choice but to take a small deal. We only had a very small sample size on him though in a Grizz uni. 

I didnt think we were keeping Josh Jackson or we couldnt resign him for some reason. What is the snag with his next contract? 

15 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I didnt think we were keeping Josh Jackson or we couldnt resign him for some reason. What is the snag with his next contract? 

Just depends on how much he is willing to accept. The salary cap will drop next season and he may be looking for more than he made this past season on his rookie contract. We didn't extend the qualifying offer to him so he's a FA. He played relatively well after we called him up from the G League. Did he play well enough to earn a nice contract? I have no idea. We may be able to bring him back on a smaller contract but it depends on what other offers he has.

1 hour ago, grizzgolf said:

We can bring him back, but we can't offer him more than the option we declined (which i believe was 8.9 million). He's certainly not going to get that on the open market now, so I think we are probably the favorites to sign him at this point. Probably a two year deal with a player option on the second year. 

14 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It wouldn't be the first time unfortunately. Obviously my hope is that Justise has great success here, but there is always a chance it could go the other way. Justise is best as a 3/4 same as Kyle (IMO). So trading Kyle before determining if the Justise trade is a success or fail just doesn't seem prudent. 

I agree with your opinion on Josh Jackson 100%. He is a much smaller factor in all of this to me. Some people on these boards loved that kid when he played for us though. 

20 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

5 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

It wouldn't be the first time unfortunately.

Ouch.

I really really REALLY hope that the team has done proper due diligence PRIOR to making that deal... 

I’m also thinking that Josh’s best / only decent option may be us.

I have seen guys get a good dose of get it together and come out swinging.

others double down and confirm that they are not worth the trouble.

I just don’t know that josh has shown enough for another team to take him. 
And I also believe our guys were able to contribute to an environment that will allow him to succeed.