I❤️JV

Can this NBA season be saved?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29152271/adam-silver-preps-nba-players-challenges-ahead

WOJ

Sources: On call with players today, Adam Silver told NBPA membership: 1) "It would be safer to be in a single location, or two locations, to start." 2) That the NBA doesn't have to make a decision on re-starting in season in May, nor does it have to decide right away in June.

Sources: Silver told players that he still hoped that the playoffs would include a 7-game series in every round. He told players that those series could move faster without the need for travel, staying in a single site. Orlando and Vegas still tops.

With fans in buildings constituting 40 percent of league revenue, the NBA is working on creative ways on TV to deliver the games to audiences, Silver told players. Silver started to prepare players for possibility of no fans in arenas next year without a vaccine, sources said.

Michele Roberts asked Silver on the call about financial impact moving foward for the league and players, and Silver flatly said that the collective bargaining agreement "wasn't built for an extended pandemic." Silver called it all: "The greatest challenge" of our lifetime.

Silver told players that he believes each of his 30 owners wants to play again this season -- despite suggestion made to him on call of short-term financial advantages for some teams not to resume season. He called his owners, "Competitors."

Sources: Silver explained to players why the league wouldn't allow teams to use private team jets to bring players worried about commericial travel back to market for voluntary workouts. He cited trying to manage the competitive advantage among teams as one of his reasons.

Asked on NBPA call about how long a training camp could be should this season resume, Silver suggested "three weeks" as the minimum length that's been discussed within the league, sources said.

Broader Adam Silver message on call to players: This is going to be hard -- and hard for a long time. We need to work together. Hard choices are coming. No one will agree on everything. There are some difficult days of collective bargaining coming with grim financial realities.

Sources: Silver told players that he still hoped that the playoffs would include a 7-game series in every round. He told players that those series could move faster without the need for travel, staying in a single site. Orlando and Vegas still tops.

Shams: What to know about NBA call with players on Friday about what’s next

https://theathletic.com/1803630/2020/05/08/shams-what-to-know-about-nba-call-with-players-on-friday-about-whats-next/

The NBPA held a call with NBA players on Friday that included an update from the league office and commissioner Adam Silver. Here’s what you should know following the call, which The Athletic has learned via multiple sources:

• If the 2019-20 season resumes, no fans are expected. And that could be the case as long as there is no vaccine.
  • 40 percent of the league’s revenue comes from fans.
  • A decision on the season can go into June.
  • If/when NBA is able to return, Adam Silver told players it is safer in one or two locations — such as Walt Disney World in Orlando and Las Vegas — than it would be flying around to cities and facilities.
  • The NBA is sifting through “a lot of bad options,” meaning whatever route the resumption could take place is less than ideal.
  • The NBA is projecting a one-year timetable on a coronavirus vaccine. Silver emphasized that the league collectively will have to deal with the coronavirus issue for the foreseeable future — and that “no decision will be risk-free.”
  • Silver admitted the NBA “couldn’t start now even if we wanted to.”
  • NBA teams will be told again that it is voluntary for players to work out and pressure should not be applied. NBPA President Chris Paul and Vice President Kyrie Irving told Silver that some players have been feeling pressure from teams to return to facilities and that should not be the case, to which Silver agreed and stated any other concerns should be made to the league and NBPA.
  • Silver admitted there would be a significant impact for the league financially if there is no season and then no fans attending games in 2020-21.
  • According to Silver, the league would look into other interactive ways to get fans engaged.
  • When asked about a potential second wave of the virus in the fall, Silver said that is why a delayed start to 2020-21 makes sense. Silver referenced a Christmas Day start. Sources said a Dec. 25 start to the 2020-21 season is gaining momentum.
  • The ever-elusive question across pro sports is this: What happens if a player tests positive again? Silver responded that he hopes the NBA will be able to administer daily testing at that point, have no stoppage of play, and isolate the player(s) in quarantine. Silver cited a potential two-day break, as well. Silver stated any decision would need to be worked out with the NBPA and he has spoken to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred about a protocol.
  • A 3-to-6 week ramp-up period is expected should the NBA be able to resume the season — and the NBA prefers to have a full four-round, seven-game per series postseason.

Among those on the call, the clear takeaway was that the NBA still is not anywhere close to having the necessary answers to resume play — and that a major financial impact looms. Silver admitted teams are “very concerned” and are being “crushed” financially. The NBA shut down on March 11 when Utah Jazz All-Star Rudy Gobert tested positive, but Silver and the players discussed the positive public sentiment and awareness that has occurred in the coming months as a result of the league shutting down.

“We’re going to have to find a way to work through this,” Silver told players. “This could turn out to be the single greatest challenge of all of our lives.

“Until there is a vaccine or some magical cocktail that prevents people from dying from this virus, we are going to be dealing with it, collectively.”

Across pro sports, commissioners and executives are balancing the risk factors that go into this pandemic. This is a historic moment for everyone and these decisions will be made with safety as a priority, as Silver reiterated. The NBA and its players union will work hand-in-hand through all of this.

The ultimate question left on the call for all parties was: How much risk are they all willing to take?

Silver trying to keep false hope alive is really getting annoying. It’s obvious to anyone with any shred of common sense that the 19/20 season is over. Trying to come up with some over-complicated, frankly silly “solution” to play it out is just stupid. Would winning a championship in some mini playoff tournament played in Vegas or wherever after teams haven’t played for 3 months really mean anything in the long run anyways? No.

Silver needs to get out of fantasy land and just accept that this season is over. Start coming up with a plan on how to handle 2020-21. 

Throw Phoenix into the mix (with LasVegas and Orlando):

Arizona governor says pro sports can resume without fans May 16

9:13 PM ET
  • Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has opened the door for professional sports to return to the state.

Ducey said Tuesday that professional sports, including MLB, the NBA, the NHL and the NFL, can resume without fans on Saturday. The state is starting to reopen during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with Ducey saying on social media that Arizona is "trending in the right direction."

Ducey said he has had discussions with "leaders of some of these leagues," but he did not say which ones or elaborate on what activities might take place in Arizona. Last month, he said he had spoken with Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred and was open to hosting games.

Other sports such as basketball and hockey have considered playing the remainder of their regular seasons in hubs, with several teams playing in one location.

"It would be, at this point in time, according to the CDC guidelines, without fans," Ducey said at a news conference. Citing his public health director, he said, "We could do that safely in the state of Arizona beginning May 16."

On 5/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, GTG said:

Would winning a championship in some mini playoff tournament played in Vegas or wherever after teams haven’t played for 3 months really mean anything in the long run anyways?

Remember the lock-out season?

The asterisk * doesn’t matter to me .

7 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Remember the lock-out season?

The asterisk * doesn’t matter to me .

Exactly.

Shams: What to know about Adam Silver’s call with Board of Governors

https://theathletic.com/1811544/2020/05/13/shams-what-to-know-about-adam-silvers-call-with-board-of-governors-tuesday/?source=twittered

How much risk is worth playing for the NBA and its players?

Commissioner Adam Silver repeated the phrase from his call with all NBA players on Friday to the Board of Governors on Tuesday, and that message will ring throughout the league over the next several weeks. Here is what you should know following Tuesday’s call with the Board of Governors, which The Athletic has learned via multiple sources:

• Silver told the owners that he is aiming for a decision in 2-to-4 weeks about whether to resume the season or cancel, sources said. For the first time since the coronavirus hiatus started on March 11, Silver and the NBA have set a specific timetable and a target.
  • For owners and executives, the belief is that a decision on whether or not to play out the season can’t be delayed into July. Silver and the NBA want to make the most educated decision, and this timetable allows the league to push off a decision into mid-June, which would make it roughly three months from the league’s suspension.
  • Beyond the league office, the majority of the NBA’s owners, executives and star players have been hopeful about resuming the season. The players union reiterated in a memo to player agents on Tuesday that the players and league both want to finish the 2019-20 season if it is safe.
  • Ultimately, everyone involved has understood the significant financial ramifications if the season is not able to finish. Silver told players on a call Friday and reiterated on Tuesday to the owners: Perhaps public perception will have changed, but the situation we are dealing with may be the same, if not worse, in the fall or winter.
  • How would a potential return look? One or two locations — such as Disney World in Orlando or Las Vegas — and this playing grounds environment that Silver described Tuesday: Players/personnel able to move around, but undergo testing upon re-entry. This would mean that people involved in the isolated city environment would be re-examined before any return to the remainder of the pack. It would not be a strict “medical bubble,” Silver said to the players and again on Tuesday.
  • The NBA and National Basketball Players Association formed a working group that will have an ongoing dialogue about return-to-play strategies, and it will include NBPA president and Thunder All-Star Chris Paul, Mavericks center Dwight Powell, Raptors All-Star Kyle Lowry, Celtics star Jayson Tatum and Rockets All-Star Russell Westbrook.

Members of the Board of Governors maintained that the primary responsibility remains safety and protecting those involved in the game environment.

“The biggest issue is the number of tests, and we can’t take tests from those who need it,” one source with knowledge of Tuesday’s meeting told The Athletic.

Can the NBA cobble together the necessary number of tests — and if so, will the risk be worth playing? Both sides want to play and want to crown a 2020 NBA champion.

leaked NBA return timetable .

1. training camp (official) 20/6-10/7

2 5 reg season games 15/7-23/7

3 1st round 25/7-7/8

4 2nd round 8/8-21/8

5 CF     22/8-5/9

6 NBA finals 7/9-20/9

I am guessing we play Portland Sacramento Spurs and Pelicans Twice....need at least 1 win.

1 bubble or 2 bubbles?...1 bubble is cheaper...but....if i was Silver...i would make 2 bubbles.

1 in Orlando (east playoffs) 1 in Vegas (west)...if one bubble breaks we would still have another and can relocate....plus we should not put all the eggs in one...hmm bubble.

5 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

3 1st round 25/7-7/8

4 2nd round 8/8-21/8

5 CF     22/8-5/9

6 NBA finals 7/9-20/9

I am guessing we play Portland Sacramento Spurs and Pelicans Twice....need at least 1 win.

1 bubble or 2 bubbles?...1 bubble is cheaper...but....if i was Silver...i would make 2 bubbles.

1 in Orlando (east playoffs) 1 in Vegas (west)...if one bubble breaks we would still have another and can relocate....plus we should not put all the eggs in one...hmm bubble.

How would the reg season games work, exactly? For example, San Antonio has only played 63 games this season, whereas Portland has played 66 games this season.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

How would the reg season games work, exactly? For example, San Antonio has only played 63 games this season, whereas Portland has played 66 games this season.

Everyone will get to 70 or maybe 72 games....so Spurs will play 7 or 9 and Portland 4 or 6....who plays who i have no idea...

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

Everyone will get to 70 or maybe 72 games....so Spurs will play 7 or 9 and Portland 4 or 6....who plays who i have no idea...

Yeah, if they come back to have 4 or 5 games it is gonna be totally random.  Ok, they want to see Zion in the playoffs but the big dude needs to lose some weight and work on defense and rebounding.  He is AWESOME inside 5 feet and in transition but he has some MASSIVE holes in his game.  AND, he could easily get hurt if he comes back and is not in shape.  The last thing the NBA needs is for Zion to blow out a knee or even tweak an ankle or foot (although I think his UPSIDE is over-rated).

Pels have basically been a .500 team WITH Zion and I don't really see that changing if they play a few more games.  Zion is GREAT at a few things but limited in vast facets of the game.

I think that Lakers/Grizzlies would be a more fun and more competitive series than Lakers/Pelicans anyway.

I think us and the Mavs are gonna be two of the wild card teams.  Two teams with solid depth and good coaching led by two alpha young studs.  

Fortunately if there is only 5 games, we're still more or less a lock to make the playoffs. We'd have to lose every game and 1 person would need to win every game. 

16 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

The bad news is that before the end of training camp there will be 194 NBA free agents (contracts expire in June). Before that happens, every team will want to make sure that they have their draft picks. 

So until the draft and free agency are addressed by the league and the players association, I just can't imagine how any season continuation talk can be true.

4 hours ago, Father Pat said:

The bad news is that before the end of training camp there will be 194 NBA free agents (contracts expire in June). Before that happens, every team will want to make sure that they have their draft picks. 

So until the draft and free agency are addressed by the league and the players association, I just can't imagine how any season continuation talk can be true.

I'm fairly sure they are just pretending the last two months didn't happen for contracts. I'm sure they could be a minor squabble there, but I really doubt that will make much of a difference. Yes those contracts are technically over, but there is probably some language in there denoting the contract will be over at the end of a given season. Just a guess, but very possible. 

I don't see why they can't just draft while the season is going on. MLB does it every year. I'm not sure how that changes anything honestly, since NBA doesn't do draft order by playoff finish like the NFL does. 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:12 AM, I❤️JV said:

3 1st round 25/7-7/8

4 2nd round 8/8-21/8

5 CF     22/8-5/9

6 NBA finals 7/9-20/9

Leaked? 

8 hours ago, Father Pat said:

everything will be extended...free agency ...contracts ....exceptions...draft etc. 

Season formats for consideration:

Advance directly to playoffs: (16 teams, four rounds, best-of-seven series) with postseason teams based on standings as of March 12

A “Playoffs Plus” option: Expanding the number of teams with the opportunity to play, either through holding a play-in tournament to determine the final seed(s) in playoffs, to be played by “bubble teams” or replacing the first round of the playoffs with a group stage.

If “Playoffs Plus” — how many teams should return to play: 18, 20, 22 or 24?

Resume regular season with all 30 teams: All teams plays same number of games.

Resume regular season with all 30 teams, plus play-in: All teams play same number of games, followed by play-in tournament for the final seed(s) and traditional playoffs.

“Playoffs Plus” play-in format options: Play-in tournament featuring bubble teams for 8th seed; play-in tournament for 7th and 8th seed; or group stage that replaces first round of playoffs and all participating in groups (each team plays two games against each group opponent and top two teams from each group advances to traditional second round).

Scrimmage games prior to any restart:

— 2, 3, 4, or 5

Total regular season games:

— 72 or 76

Playoff format:

— Traditional (East/West) or reseed all teams

Latest possible date for finish:

— Labor Day, Sept. 15, Oct. 1, Oct. 15 or Nov. 1

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I'm fairly sure they are just pretending the last two months didn't happen for contracts. I'm sure they could be a minor squabble there, but I really doubt that will make much of a difference. Yes those contracts are technically over, but there is probably some language in there denoting the contract will be over at the end of a given season. Just a guess, but very possible. 

I don't see why they can't just draft while the season is going on. MLB does it every year. I'm not sure how that changes anything honestly, since NBA doesn't do draft order by playoff finish like the NFL does. 

Any change in contracts (length) will need to be voted on by the owners and ratified by the players union as there is the collective bargaining agreement in place. They can't just wing it. Many free agents, if not on playoff teams, have nothing to gain by voting for lengthening their contracts. Lengthening this seasons contracts would then effect the length of next season contracts (shorten them). A change in the CBA will not be easy. Also, the owners will cry foul because of lost revenue and the players will do the same, dragging out negotiations. 

You can't have the NBA draft while the season is going because draft positions have not been established as they are based on final standings.

5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Any change in contracts (length) will need to be voted on by the owners and ratified by the players union as there is the collective bargaining agreement in place. They can't just wing it. Many free agents, if not on playoff teams, have nothing to gain by voting for lengthening their contracts. Lengthening this seasons contracts would then effect the length of next season contracts (shorten them). A change in the CBA will not be easy. Also, the owners will cry foul because of lost revenue and the players will do the same, dragging out negotiations. 

You can't have the NBA draft while the season is going because draft positions have not been established as they are based on final standings.

players will have to agree to everything and they will....because the alternative is to declare force majeure and close the season ...with players losing much more money...players and owners are both invested in as little as possible revenue loss...relationship is good between the league and the players...in Silver will trust ...

Yo as a Grizz fan I want to see us make the playoffs of course.....but we haven't had any nba in 2+ months. Gimme 76 games, heck gimme a full 82 game season if they can make it happen. Even if it lowers our chances of making it in, the more basketball the better. I'd actually watch a Knicks game at this point.

‎Btw players won't be free agents on July 1st. They only become free agents come the end of a full nba financial term, which will still go on if the season picks back up.

20 hours ago, Father Pat said:

The draft would only occur if the playoffs had started. At that point it doesn't matter, since the playoffs don't determine anything for draft position. If they plan on having some sort of regular season, then no, they'd have to move it. 

Also you're acting like they won't vote to change the contracts, as if they haven't already voted on a reduction in pay during the lock down. I'm sure they can figure something out.