Sign in to follow this  
ALT GRIND

Big Bored 1.0 #WHOfluEdition

This is my Big Bored 1.0 aka the WHOflu Edition.  Not sure where this big bored came from either, or if someone started or who is Patient Zero.  Maybe this truly the Mother of All Bio-Weapon Big Boards. WHO knows???

First off, the top of the board looks good.  Maybe really good.  Nice group of different archetypes.  Could be one of the deeper drafts in NBA history.  

I only have one round.  I did a few internal two round big boards but the 2nd round picks will be made according to fit/timeline.  I think a bunch of second round picks get traded too.

Big Bored 1.0

1. James Wiseman: He could end up being the guy we all thought Greg Oden would be.  

2. Deni Avdija: flashes of Larry Bird

3. Precious Achiuwa: 2 way upside. Could end up being a monster on both ends.

4. Tyrese Halliburton:  all-around do-everything point guard with decent height/length.

5. Matt Mitchell: Baby Barkley upside.

6. Makur Maker: X factor big can handle, pass, and shoot the 3.

7. Markus Howard: he can really, really shoot. Top notch binge scorer.

8. Antwann Jones: my deep sleeper pick.  Can do some of everything — with flair and a mean streak. 

9. Obi Toppin: explosive dunker/binge scorer. Looks a bit stiff. Defense is a question mark.  Could end up being the Trae Young of power forwards/bigs.

10. Aaron Nessmith: he can shoot.  He can really really shoot. ... did I mention he can SHOOT?

11. Amar Sylla: raw, mystery big.  Bouncy and can dunk but raw.  Quick jumper who might always be limited on offense although you think you roll the dice on his potential.  Shades of Dennis Rodman meets Pascal Siakam.

12. Borisa Simanic: tall, high level shooter who can also dunk.  Mysterious but his (few) highlights are promising.

13. Scottie Lewis: TA defense with Harold Miner hops. Probably worth a late lottery pick (at worst) even if nothing else pans out.  

14. Onyeka Okongwu: a rich man’s Bo Outlaw.

15. Cole Anthony: probably his floor.  His ceiling isn’t as high as we thought and he is high usage. YMCA Derrick Rose.

16. Anthony Edwards: rich man’s Dajuan Wagner.  The OJ Mayo of this draft.

17. Tre Jones: Maurice Cheeks 2.0

18. Naji Marshall: tough wing player.  Built like PJ Tucker (on ‘roids) but can score.

19. Saddiq Bey: potential to be a 3 and D Adrian Dantley

20. LaMelo Ball: MCW with baggage. Still has Wroten-tential....

21. Payton Pritchard: solid Tier 2 quarterback.  Best all-around floor general in the draft???

22. Mason Jones: all he does is score and hit 3’s on heavy volume.  One of the few potential 10X shooters in the draft aka a guy you want taking ten 3 point shots per night.  

23. Mac McClung: probably a good 3rd guard.  Robert Pack meets White Chocolate. 

24. Isaiah Joe: poor man’s Reggie Miller. Might be a bit low.  But this is a deep draft.

25. Vernon Carey, Jr.: he does work.  An old school big — in the extreme.  Could look like Moses Malone some nights — and on other nights he’s a guy who can even get on the court.

26. Nick Richards: one of the better rim protecting/rim running utility centers in the draft.  

27. Jaden McDaniels: Monstar Kevin Durant. Has upside though. 

28. Jay Huff: solid upside for a big man.  Broke man’s Bill Walton.

29. Tres Tinkle: slow but tough. Coach’s kid.  Probably a system guy.  Not a pure shooter but can make shots.  Can somewhat fill a stat sheet.  He would have been a good bench guy on the 1986 Boston Celtics.

30. Shareef O’Neal: headed to LSU, but he has good size, a quasi-modern game for a 4 and he has great genes.  

1 minute ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Where's Isaiah Maurice?

The Memphis guy?  5th round.  Haha.

Isaiah Stewart (Washington Huskies) was a tough cut. He can ball though! Not a jump shooter really and not mega explosive but he can play.  Probably as good as any big man in this draft not named James Wiseman. Although I think that the 4 spot is even less valuable than the 5 now.  

I also left out Nico Mannion and Josh Green (back to Arizona???) and Cassius Stanley (Dhantay Jones 2.0???).  Also a couple of import guards (Killian Hayes/RJ Hampton). It’s a DEEP draft.  

“The Big Boreds will continue until morale improves.”  

But seriously, I will post my next Big Bored on April 1st (need to do more research).  

Version 3.0 on/around Cinco de Mayo or once the season resumes.  

Version 4.0 will have TWO rounds and will be posted after the NBA’s official “Wash Your Balls” draft lottery selection show.

Version 5.0 will be posted right before the actual draft.  It will still have two rounds, maybe even broken down into tiers. And, if anyone wants I might also post a one round 7 Footer Territorial Draft.

As always, thanks for playing!  

I wonder how they’re going to do the draft this year 

1 hour ago, Allen said:

I wonder how they’re going to do the draft this year 

Good question.  I guess tune can push it back into August. But college basketball will start soon after.  Hope they don’t merge the 2020 and 2021 drafts. That would be bad for us!

16 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Good question.  I guess tune can push it back into August. But college basketball will start soon after.  Hope they don’t merge the 2020 and 2021 drafts. That would be bad for us!

They can't really do it until they figure out what's going on with the 2019-2020 regular season. Even if they go the way of a play-in tournament for the last playoff seeds, they'd then have to wait for the results of such tournament as whoever doesn't make it in then gets put into the draft lottery.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, ALT GRIND said:

The Memphis guy?  5th round.  Haha.

You had 2 Tigers in the top 3 so I figured why not? 😂😂😂

41 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

You had 2 Tigers in the top 3 so I figured why not? 😂😂😂

Theoretically, bigs who can shoot should have a place in pro basketball.  Never say never.

Malcolm Dandridge and Lester Q (and some others) look like fringe NBA prospects at some point.  

It's funny... on paper the Tigers team had Wiseman, Antwann Jones, and Achiuwa at some point.  Two of those guys combined for 3 total games with Achiuwa being the only one with a substantive season.  I used to say that I would run Antwann/Wiseman pick and rolls all day.  Wiseman and Achiuwa have as much upside as anyone in the draft (although both are a bit "raw").  Antwann Jones looks like he was BUILT for the modern NBA.  Doubt he declares though, not even sure where he is (guess at Creighton working out with the guys).  I would actually rather have him at 40ish than Tyrese Haliburton or LaMelo Ball in the top 5.  I will probably still have Antwann Jones in my mock draft/big board (probably no lower than 10-14) but then move him off the boards once he officially stays in school (or doesn't enter the draft).  If he DID declare for the draft then I think 3-8 is a plausible range for him (but, mostly due to UPSIDE but you could say that about a LOT of guys... players like Scottie Lewis or Achiuwa or even a guy like Anthony Edwards who didn't actually shoot all that well or win all that much as a Georgia Bulldog).  

Wiseman/Deni/Antwann would actually be a solid top order of most drafts.

It's also a deep draft.

Alt, you should set up a YouTube channel to discuss all your ideas. You are obviously an expert on this stuff. You would get tons of subs and probably earn some serious coin.

2 hours ago, GameOn said:

Alt, you should set up a YouTube channel to discuss all your ideas. You are obviously an expert on this stuff. You would get tons of subs and probably earn some serious coin.

I like writing better.  Maybe a pod cast would be good.  

The 2020 draft will depend a lot on crowdsourcing scouting, research and everything else.

If we did a Grizzlies board draft round table I would be up for that.  Bounce ideas off other people.

Oh, by the way, Mason Jones has entered the draft.  He’s a sleeper fave for a lot of people and I have him at 22.  I pretty much will look into anyone who could turn into a high-volume shooter.  As always, I need to do more research.

Scottie Lewis is going back to school.  I had him 5 in my latest internal big board.  Quite a few Real GM mock draft types liked him. That takes some depth (primary/secondary) away from this draft but makes next year’s draft deeper.  I guess we get our pick back.  

Matt Haarms is gonna transfer — I had him at 56. A player to keep an eye on if you are a Memphis area basketball guy.  Would be a good addition for the Tigers.  Would be a solid back center for the Grizzlies too (2021 draft).

Tyrese Maxey is gonna be in the draft.  I have him at 32 but I can see the potential.  Maybe more of a combo guard than a true 1 or 2 but even if he is only gonna be a high class 6th man then that is probably worth a mid/late first round pick.  

My latest internal board doesn’t have Antwann Jones or Matt Mitchell (two guys I really liked even as lotto type talents) since I don’t think either player will declare for the draft.  Same with Shareef O’Neal (a guy I had as having draftable potential).  

I am gonna do more research and might do an updated (two round) big board later this week.  If anyone knows how to do a podcast I wouldn’t mind getting in one.  I think a Grizzlies Draft Roundtable podcast would be really cool.

Update: looks like they might move the draft back.  I would assume that Boston has our pick.  Even if they comeback and play some regular season games it won’t be many and I think we have a 3.5 game lead over our nearest rival.  

I am still liking Wiseman at 1.  Maybe not in the Luka/Zion/Ja tier but I think he can be in that Trae Young Tier (1.5?).  Might be the only non tier 2/tier 3 guy in the draft though but there are a lot of projects who have solid upside.

Still don’t like Anthony Edwards all that much. Can anyone sell me on him being a top 3 pick?

Scottie Lewis is going back to school.  Two of my other lotto deep sleepers probably aren’t gonna be in the draft either (Antwann Jones and Matt Mitchell).  Might just make the 2021 draft even deeper.

2021: Jalen Green might have Ja/Zion/Luka upside.  Evan Mobley could be a beast. Gut feel: Cade Cunningham is more of a Wiseman/Trae Tier 1.5 guy. 

Since the Grizz only have the Suns’ second rounder I might make a list of guys the Grizz could trade up for — and are worth trading up for.

I need to do more research on Devin Vassell. Lots of people like him.  I will also look into Patrick Williams and Kira Lewis Jr. 

21 hours ago, russian grizzly said:

My big three:

Nnaji

Elleby

Lewis

Kira Lewis? He’s supposed to be good.  I’ve seen some people who have him really high.  Need to watch his highlights.  ... Scottie Lewis is going back to school — and I had him fairly high.

I will have to watch CJ Elleby. He’s one of the few guys I haven’t looked into. This draft looks deep.

Zeke Nnaji would be an interesting option. Outside of Wiseman/Okongwu (I have both really high), I don’t see a bunch of second tier bigs that I like (the imports are interesting but risky and most are raw).  Zeke looks skinny but he is athletic and long (I think). Good on defense.  More mobile and better on defense than Vernon Carey Jr. and a bit better all around than Nick Richards. Although both bigs could be interesting backups for us.  Zeke might be an Onyeka Okongwu value play.  He might be a guy who moves up so maybe we have to trade up for him.  

I would prefer a wing player but I wouldn’t mind taking a big man either.  Shooting and rim protection seem to be our biggest “needs”.  

I kinda have a “big four” at the top of my board.  My next 5–10 guys shift a bit then I have 20 or 30 guys that I am having a hard time ranking/slotting.  It might come down to “team need” at that point.  We should bring in some wings, some bigs, even some point guards if we have a decent idea of how they can help us.  I don’t think it’s out of the question where we look at maybe pairing Ja with another small(ish) point guard if the guy is BPA.  Either have him as Ja’s long term backup or as Ja’s sidekick in small ball lineups.  

I might post another big board this weekend or something. I have a good feel for my top 10 or 15 but I need to do more research on the late first/second round types.  I am also having a hard time figuring out Killian Hayes, RJ Hampton and Theo Maledon.  My gut tells me they aren’t top 5 locks — maybe mid/late first types.  Maledon had some hype earlier but it quieted down.  Maybe he’s a guy you draft then leave him overseas for another year.  All 3 might basically be rotation level combo guards.