Sign in to follow this  
ALT GRIND

The NEW official 2020 Draft Thread

This is the NEW official 2020 draft thread... I guess the old one self-quarantined.  

At the top of the draft James Wiseman looks as good as anybody (as far as center prospects have gone -- historically speaking).  NBA Draft Room likes him.  Sticking with my prediction from June 2018 I still think he is a poor man's version of Mitchell Robinson.  ... I think Wiseman will be better/more well rounded on offense.  Different build and athleticism but both Wiseman and Mitch Rob are well-built with good athleticism.  Mitch Rob probably being the better leaper and pick/roll guy with Wiseman having more upside as a trailer, or maybe a big man with grab-go potential.  Probably not in the Kareem/Wilt/Hakeem level of pantheon centers but I can see him showing some flashes of Nate Thurmond, Bill Walton, David Robinson, and Greg Oden.  

Deni Avdija looks promising.  Upside.  Maybe his FLOOR is Dario Saric which might not be a bad floor for a guy in the 3-5 range although maybe you don't get AS MUCH value at 2.

Tyrese Haliburton is a good player.  He might be the better Money Ball pick (at least in terms of value) over LaMelo Ball.

Amar Sylla looks interesting.  He isn't supposed to go high, but he has been on the radar awhile and could really move up.  Between him and Onyeka Okongwu they might be the top two second tier centers/bigs in this draft.

I like Markus Howard.  I usually have him around 7 or 8 in my internal big boards.  The kid can shoot and score.

Precious Achiuwa is an interesting player.  In the WRONG system he could be a relative disappointment.  In the RIGHT SYSTEM he could be a break out star.  He could probably end up going anywhere in the top five to somewhere in the mid/late first round.  

My DEEP SLEEPER picks include Matt Mitchell from SDSU and Antwann Jones.  Antwann Jones is going to transfer to Creighton so I don't think he comes out, but who knows.  At this point I have him around 8 usually just after Markus Howard.  Matt Mitchell is a guy I had at 1 at some point, now I have him closer to 5.  

Obi Toppin looks like the Boom/Bust "NAME" guy in this draft.  If he is the top "mocked player" on the board I would consider trading DOWN if he didn't impress me in the draft workouts.  

Other than that, I am relatively higher on Scottie Lewis and Isaiah Joe.  I am relatively LOWER on LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards.  

I have Mason Jones at 26 which is another deep sleeper for me.  He's a guy who can just put points on the board. 

As far as my second round goes, I think these guys can be underrated rotation/utility players on the next level: Jay Huff, Jericho Sims, Shareef O'Neal, Kahlil Whitney, Scotty Pippen, Jr., Malcolm Dandridge, N'faly Dante, Jarron Cumberland, Mac McClung, and John Fulkerson.

I am going to keep taunting the NBA with the coming arrival of my Mother Of All Big Boards Virus until they give us ANOTHER team. 

Who do you guys want?  The Lakers? The Heat? The Bucks?

#MemphisHeat

#MemphoBucks

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Nesmith has decided to hire an agent.  He's all in.  No more college ball.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Aaron-Nesmith-NBA-Draft-Vanderbilt-145380550/

He’s good.  I need to do more research on him.  He might be a guy worth trading up for.  I’ve got him at 16 on my big board.  

Onyeka Okongwu declared for the draft too although maybe the draft gets pushed back too.  

This Lockdown is gonna make a tough draft even tougher.

23 hours ago, bhoyal said:

His highlights looked awesome!  Nessmith has a fantastic shot.  He also had a couple of good finishes with some dunks in there.  

Looks like an ideal fit for a team who needs a 2 guard/shooting.  

Seems to have less hype but better shooting ability than Anthony Edwards.  

I doubt we could move up to get either (unless we trade Clarke too) with Isaiah Joe maybe also being tough to get.  I am gonna look into Mason Jones more.  Binge scorer who can rack up the 3 point shots.  He’s probably a guy we could draft in that early 40’s range.  Markus Howard is tiny but he might be worth looking into.  Especially if we could go with an ultra-small backcourt with him and Ja.