ALT GRIND

The NEW official 2020 Draft Thread

With the Melo news, it does make sense that he left the draft combine and didn't interview. I think he might have received a promise from the Wolves. 

If that's the case, I'm doing evening we can to get that second pick from the Warriors to get Edwards. I know a lot of you guys aren't as high on him as I am, but I think he'll be a star. A Ja/Edwards backcourt is incredibly athletic and skilled. 

Edit: I don't think that the Warriors will take him, I think they'll take Deni or Wiseman. We can try to trade with the Hornets. JV, Grayson, a couple firsts for number 3 and a bad contract (Zeller?) JV is significantly better than Zeller, Grayson has far better size than either Graham or Rozier to allow one of then to come off the bench (Rozier). It also preserves their cap space to sign someone else or absorb others in trade. 

For us, Zeller is playable, and I really think Edwards will be the next Oladipo or better. We might suck for a year, but we'll have a lot of cap space in 2021 and a lottery pick.

13 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

With the Melo news, it does make sense that he left the draft combine and didn't interview. I think he might have received a promise from the Wolves. 

If that's the case, I'm doing evening we can to get that second pick from the Warriors to get Edwards. I know a lot of you guys aren't as high on him as I am, but I think he'll be a star. A Ja/Edwards backcourt is incredibly athletic and skilled. 

Edit: I don't think that the Warriors will take him, I think they'll take Deni or Wiseman. We can try to trade with the Hornets. JV, Grayson, a couple firsts for number 3 and a bad contract (Zeller?) JV is significantly better than Zeller, Grayson has far better size than either Graham or Rozier to allow one of then to come off the bench (Rozier). It also preserves their cap space to sign someone else or absorb others in trade. 

For us, Zeller is playable, and I really think Edwards will be the next Oladipo or better. We might suck for a year, but we'll have a lot of cap space in 2021 and a lottery pick.

Edward's reminds me of Reddiah but shorter

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Edward's reminds me of Reddiah but shorter

Physically they're pretty similar. His offensive game is much more advanced than Reddish, but Reddish seems to be the better defender. Edwards could be an excellent, or at least pretty good, defender if he puts his mind to it. 

8 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Physically they're pretty similar. His offensive game is much more advanced than Reddish, but Reddish seems to be the better defender. Edwards could be an excellent, or at least pretty good, defender if he puts his mind to it. 

Edwards and Ja are close, at least is what he said in a interview. Seems that a lot of good players recognize his talent. On the other hand Wiseman and Jaren are friends too, I like both of those guys, but I would go Wiseman and Deni over Edwards. But they are my top 3, at least for the Grizzlies.

29 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

If we were able to get him hopefully his shooting percentage gets better

17 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

If we were able to get him hopefully his shooting percentage gets better

I think it will. He won't have to be the only guy on this team. Ja and Jaren are still here. He forced a lot of bad shots last year, which he won't have to do here. He'll need to be a better catch and shoot guy though, as that'll help his numbers increase. He has a pretty good looking shot with a high release, so I'm confident it will be at least respectable in time. 

38 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

Edwards and Ja are close, at least is what he said in a interview. Seems that a lot of good players recognize his talent. On the other hand Wiseman and Jaren are friends too, I like both of those guys, but I would go Wiseman and Deni over Edwards. But they are my top 3, at least for the Grizzlies.

To be Deni is very similar to Justise, though Deni has better size but a little less athletic. They do very similar things on the court though. That's why I'd pass. Wiseman has the game of Brandon but the size of Jaren (even bigger actually). To me though, Jaren will be our center and Brandon will be our PF longterm. I don't see a huge need for Wiseman, particularly given how much weaker our wing position is in relation to our frontcourt. He'll be good, but I just think we're in a pretty good shape there already. 

59 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

To be Deni is very similar to Justise, though Deni has better size but a little less athletic. They do very similar things on the court though. That's why I'd pass. Wiseman has the game of Brandon but the size of Jaren (even bigger actually). To me though, Jaren will be our center and Brandon will be our PF longterm. I don't see a huge need for Wiseman, particularly given how much weaker our wing position is in relation to our frontcourt. He'll be good, but I just think we're in a pretty good shape there already. 

A Jaren/Wiseman frontcourt on their prime is something teams wont be able to match. Put 4 or 5 shooters around them and Ja, and we are for real.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, Ja_Rules said:

A Jaren/Wiseman frontcourt on their prime is something teams wont be able to match. Put 4 or 5 shooters around them and Ja, and we are for real.

Can’t argue with that!

With the league getting big again, having a unicorn twin towers combo would make us unstoppable!

Draft is November 18th. So only 45 more days and we don't have to hear anymore about the Grizz somehow trading up to draft Wiseman, whom they have absolutely no interest in drafting. 

1 hour ago, The J Crew said:

Draft is November 18th. So only 45 more days and we don't have to hear anymore about the Grizz somehow trading up to draft Wiseman, whom they have absolutely no interest in drafting. 

Plenty of time for a couple hundred big draft boards though.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, Ja_Rules said:

Actually think Precious Achiuwa would be a better fit next to Jaren..  He's a high motor player who rebounds and plays defense...  Don't view Clarke as a Nba starter...  He's skinnier than some small forwards let alone power forwards...

12 hours ago, Grizzhype said:

Actually think Precious Achiuwa would be a better fit next to Jaren..  He's a high motor player who rebounds and plays defense...  Don't view Clarke as a Nba starter...  He's skinnier than some small forwards let alone power forwards...

Achiuwa is a heck of a player.  I think I have him in my top 3 now.  Great build, great athlete.  Yeah, that would be a good combo too -- especially if Jaren is a long-term 5.

Bonus points if we could get Clarke/Achiuwa/Jaren ALL IN at the same time.  

I think Achuiwa is one of the guys who can be one of the elite players out of this draft.  I think Ja could really get him going... I think he needs to be set up well, at least right away.  

I think my top 3 from my internal lotto big board the other day was (in order) Wiseman, Achiuwa, and Deni Avdija with Vassell, Haliburton, Pokusevski and LaMelo from 4-10 or something with Obi Toppin also being one of the higher ranked players.  

With the 40 I say go after Woodard from MS state. This front office seems to like multifaceted players and his defense, rebounding and potential as a 3 and D player is undeniable. He's also 6 foot 7 with a 7 foot 1 wing span and shredded like cheese 

8 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

With the 40 I say go after Woodard from MS state. This front office seems to like multifaceted players and his defense, rebounding and potential as a 3 and D player is undeniable. He's also 6 foot 7 with a 7 foot 1 wing span and shredded like cheese 

Yeah I really like him. Good athlete, potentially a good shooter. Not ultra skilled or anything, but could be what Mikal Bridges has become. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

Yeah I really like him. Good athlete, potentially a good shooter. Not ultra skilled or anything, but could be what Mikal Bridges has become. 

Agreed,  his versatility on defense makes him immediately impactful 

Actually the best guy at 40 would be 19 year old Lithuanian Rokas Jokubaitis....Rokas who?....google him...well ....he's probably opting out of this years draft ....lottery pick next year...tho

13 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

Actually the best guy at 40 would be 19 year old Lithuanian Rokas Jokubaitis....Rokas who?....google him...well ....he's probably opting out of this years draft ....lottery pick next year...tho

I personally think it would be better for him to complete this season in Europe and enter the next draft. If his progression goes as expected I think he'll end up in the lottery.

As an aside, I'm not sure how realistic it is to draft European players (other than to stash them overseas) when the 2020-21 season is already ongoing in Europe. Even those players with NBA out clauses won't be able to exercise them until the season is over. 

I hope whoever we get at 40 can help us at some point like DB. 

In the second round I’d target Leandro Bolmaro & Nico Mannion. 

Bolmaro is a boom or bust play. Got that Euro flair to his game. He’s an ok shooter but if he turns into a good shooter he has a chance to be a high level starter on a playoff team. 

Nico, 100% Hail Mary on him being the next great white hope. Ja is box office, but could you imagine the national views on a team with Ja, Jaren and (if he turned into a star) Nico Mannion. We’d be the favorite team of all the flyover states lol. 

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

In the second round I’d target Leandro Bolmaro & Nico Mannion. 

Bolmaro is a boom or bust play. Got that Euro flair to his game. He’s an ok shooter but if he turns into a good shooter he has a chance to be a high level starter on a playoff team. 

Nico, 100% Hail Mary on him being the next great white hope. Ja is box office, but could you imagine the national views on a team with Ja, Jaren and (if he turned into a star) Nico Mannion. We’d be the favorite team of all the flyover states lol. 

Bear in mind that Bolmaro is under contract until 2023. If he gets drafted in the 2nd round he won't be able to pay his buyout clause unless he gets an offer significantly above the minimum, and even in that case probably not before 2022 (buyout amounts tend to decrease over time but I don't know the details of his contract). I'm not sure that would fit the FO's plans.

I still think conveying the pick this year was the overall preferable option to the alternative, but lately I'm kinda bummed that we gave away that pick at all.  Stupid Jeff Green deal, hate it so much .  If we had the #14 pick, it would be much easier to trade up just a few spots to be in position for a Halliburton or a Vassell, both of whom I think could be really good fits with our core.  Halliburton is more if you think he can survive at the 2 and share the court with Ja, but his efficiency and shooting and nice secondary ball handling with some pesky D could fit well imo.  Vassell is more of a pure 3 and D wing, but someone who rates to be a really nice version of that, and I think a high level young 3 and D wing is a great fit next to Ja, considering his strengths and overall game.

Both seem to be good character guys as far as I can tell with some good to really good advanced stats, so exactly the type of prospect this FO has been gravitating towards.  But it's going to be much harder to trade up into that range with no pick before #40 than it would have been if we had #14.  As it stands, chances are good that we don't make a move into the mid to late lottery.  But, if we do, I personally would bet it would be for one of those 2.

6 hours ago, grizzknob said:

I still think conveying the pick this year was the overall preferable option to the alternative, but lately I'm kinda bummed that we gave away that pick at all.  Stupid Jeff Green deal, hate it so much .  If we had the #14 pick, it would be much easier to trade up just a few spots to be in position for a Halliburton or a Vassell, both of whom I think could be really good fits with our core.  Halliburton is more if you think he can survive at the 2 and share the court with Ja, but his efficiency and shooting and nice secondary ball handling with some pesky D could fit well imo.  Vassell is more of a pure 3 and D wing, but someone who rates to be a really nice version of that, and I think a high level young 3 and D wing is a great fit next to Ja, considering his strengths and overall game.

Both seem to be good character guys as far as I can tell with some good to really good advanced stats, so exactly the type of prospect this FO has been gravitating towards.  But it's going to be much harder to trade up into that range with no pick before #40 than it would have been if we had #14.  As it stands, chances are good that we don't make a move into the mid to late lottery.  But, if we do, I personally would bet it would be for one of those 2.

Converying was right like you said. I just hate losing picks

On 10/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, fanboyslim said:

Bear in mind that Bolmaro is under contract until 2023. If he gets drafted in the 2nd round he won't be able to pay his buyout clause unless he gets an offer significantly above the minimum, and even in that case probably not before 2022 (buyout amounts tend to decrease over time but I don't know the details of his contract). I'm not sure that would fit the FO's plans.

He has an NBA out clause in his contract, not a buyout if I’m not mistaken.