ALT GRIND

The NEW official 2020 Draft Thread

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, dy_dy_dynomite said:

At 40 there usually isn’t a finished product 

Solid 4 years guys who didn't have the measurables/star potential to come out early but still found ways to produce at a high level can be had in the 2nd round. Guys like Dillon Brooks.

I don't know about Yurtseven at 40, I don't see a huge need for a center prospect with Porter already on the roster, but maybe they aren't high on him or think he can play PF. No one knows. Still think SF is pretty thin if we don't bring back Josh. We don't have a third PG either. 

11 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

What should I know about him?

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Yurtseven isn’t your old school low post 7-footer. He’s more like a very low cost version of JJJ. I suspect he would spend most of his time in the G-league.

Wouldn't go that far. He shot 21% on .5 three point attempts per game. Not exactly lighting it up from deep. I don't know if he just takes a lot of midrange shots, but pretty much all of his shots are from 2 point range. He's certainly not athletic like Jaren, he's not a bad athlete, but he's not particularly quick. He does have good form from deep and the midrange, but yeah not been a prolific shooter.

I'm not against him in general, but I don't think we should take him at 40.

51 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Wouldn't go that far. He shot 21% on .5 three point attempts per game. Not exactly lighting it up from deep. I don't know if he just takes a lot of midrange shots, but pretty much all of his shots are from 2 point range. He's certainly not athletic like Jaren, he's not a bad athlete, but he's not particularly quick. He does have good form from deep and the midrange, but yeah not been a prolific shooter.

I'm not against him in general, but I don't think we should take him at 40.

I mean more in the sense of being a finesse big, not a banger. Definitely nowhere close to JJJ in terms of talent of physical ability. I suspect he might go undrafted unless he impresses some team in a workout. As of now I don't think he's NBA ready.

I wouldn't mind picking him as a draft-and-stash and see if he develops in Europe, but given that he moved to the US to play college ball I'm not sure he'll be interested in that. I don't like him very much as a pick for next season. Then again, I have trouble getting excited by anyone available at 40 in a weak draft.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, KyleB said:

Solid 4 years guys who didn't have the measurables/star potential to come out early but still found ways to produce at a high level can be had in the 2nd round. Guys like Dillon Brooks.

Dillon Brooks, Jalen Brunson, Malcolm Brogdon etc etc

4 year guys, highly productive, who are all americans but don't blow you away with measureables.

9 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I mean more in the sense of being a finesse big, not a banger. Definitely nowhere close to JJJ in terms of talent of physical ability. I suspect he might go undrafted unless he impresses some team in a workout. As of now I don't think he's NBA ready.

I wouldn't mind picking him as a draft-and-stash and see if he develops in Europe, but given that he moved to the US to play college ball I'm not sure he'll be interested in that. I don't like him very much as a pick for next season. Then again, I have trouble getting excited by anyone available at 40 in a weak draft.

He would be perfect as an UDFA, but we can get a guy like Isaiah Joe, Tre Jones if he fails, Cassius Stanley at 40. Target higher upside guys. I think our FO is pretty good, so I think they'll do well even with pick #40.

2 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

He would be perfect as an UDFA, but we can get a guy like Isaiah Joe, Tre Jones if he fails, Cassius Stanley at 40. Target higher upside guys. I think our FO is pretty good, so I think they'll do well even with pick #40.

Yeah, plus nobody is going to bat an eye if a 2nd round pick doesn't pan out. That's the default outcome. Getting someone serviceable like DB is already a big success. 

Who I would target: Cassius Winston: His strengths are that he's smart and can shoot and a great PG, makes good decisions, makes teammates better. Negatives are he's not a super athlete. It's always the same with these guys. Sure the athletes are better in the NBA but guys who know how to play and are super productive don't become morons upon entering the NBA.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, Grizzfan7979 said:

You do much better in the 2nd round taking finished products over projects.

Agreed 

Interesting article about RJ Hampton apparently working extensively with Mike MIller in Memphis to improve his shot.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/insight-into-rj-hampton-s-interview-with-the-knicks-and-what-he-s-done-with-mike-miller-to-improve-his-shot

We'd have to trade up even if we were wanting RJ at all, but interesting given the Mike Miller / Memphis potential connection.  In theory an RJ Hampton with a good shot is a very good player.

4 hours ago, grizzknob said:

Interesting article about RJ Hampton apparently working extensively with Mike MIller in Memphis to improve his shot.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/insight-into-rj-hampton-s-interview-with-the-knicks-and-what-he-s-done-with-mike-miller-to-improve-his-shot

We'd have to trade up even if we were wanting RJ at all, but interesting given the Mike Miller / Memphis potential connection.  In theory an RJ Hampton with a good shot is a very good player.

Morant/Hampton would be a blur.  If they improve their shots it would be a cool combo.  I think RJ Hampton goes 10-20.  Even higher if he shoots well in virtual workouts.  

RJ Hampton could be a year or two away but I don’t think we are making major plans for 2021-2022 (other than internal improvement).