ALT GRIND

The NEW official 2020 Draft Thread

44 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Of course every player on the roster should be evaluated but think about it....if the Grizz were to put a player who has 2 years of experience and was the#4 pick in the 2018 draft who just averaged 17 ppg and shot 40% from 3, don't you think other teams would scratch their heads, assume the worst and lowball us on offers? I mean, If I were a GM, I would. Why else would you trade a seemingly good kid who is productive for a couple of not so major injuries? There has to be something else wrong right?  It doesn't make much sense and I HIGHLY doubt any GM worth his salt would give anything of value because all types of red flags would be flying up. People would be looking for a steal.

Also, I wasn't the biggest fan of JJJ on draft night but he has pretty much performed up to his draft slot. I mean, clearly Luka is #1, Trae is putting up numbers so you can say he's #2 but I suspect  his act will wear thin after a couple of more years of losing, and then Shai Gilgeous Alexander and more than likely JJJ. Could Michael Porter Jr surpass him if he stays healthy, sure but he has to stay healthy but JJJ is still the 4th or 5th best player in a deep draft class. 

Possibly true and in that case you don't make a deal. If they don't get any decent offers for what they want them simply say thanks but no thanks and move on.

However, if the Grizzlies front office feels someone else would make the team stronger should they not pursue a deal simply because they think that would make the other side not bargain in good faith? How would any deal get done if GM's took that attitude?

The bottom line is the Grizzlies don't have to deal Jaren or anyone else. However if there is a player they feel would suit the team and make them stronger they shouldn't not discuss a trade simply because they are scared they won't make a good deal. 

And for the record I wanted Michael Porter in the draft. I was willing to wait on his recovering from his injury. 

42 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Of course every player on the roster should be evaluated but think about it....if the Grizz were to put a player who has 2 years of experience and was the#4 pick in the 2018 draft who just averaged 17 ppg and shot 40% from 3, don't you think other teams would scratch their heads, assume the worst and lowball us on offers? I mean, If I were a GM, I would. Why else would you trade a seemingly good kid who is productive for a couple of not so major injuries? There has to be something else wrong right?  It doesn't make much sense and I HIGHLY doubt any GM worth his salt would give anything of value because all types of red flags would be flying up. People would be looking for a steal.

Also, I wasn't the biggest fan of JJJ on draft night but he has pretty much performed up to his draft slot. I mean, clearly Luka is #1, Trae is putting up numbers so you can say he's #2 but I suspect  his act will wear thin after a couple of more years of losing, and then Shai Gilgeous Alexander and more than likely JJJ. Could Michael Porter Jr surpass him if he stays healthy, sure but he has to stay healthy but JJJ is still the 4th or 5th best player in a deep draft class. 

Ayton will be good also; but I really like Jaren I think he will be the best big in that draft. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Possibly true and in that case you don't make a deal. If they don't get any decent offers for what they want them simply say thanks but no thanks and move on.

However, if the Grizzlies front office feels someone else would make the team stronger should they not pursue a deal simply because they think that would make the other side not bargain in good faith? How would any deal get done if GM's took that attitude?

The bottom line is the Grizzlies don't have to deal Jaren or anyone else. However if there is a player they feel would suit the team and make them stronger they shouldn't not discuss a trade simply because they are scared they won't make a good deal. 

Of course if they can get a better player who fits the system better they should go after that player, but who is that player? Why is that player being traded? Once again, I think JJJ has a lot of flaws and I question whether he will be a solid #2 option but just dumping him after 2 years makes no sense to me. You would have to get a real upgrade and how many teams are going to give up an All-Star for a second year player still on his rookie contract?

When is the last time the Grizz even broke even in a trade? Look at our most recent trade by the wunderkinds in the front office now who should never be questioned. We got ripped. We gave away 2 contributors to make MIA even deeper while all we got was a few games from Dieng and Dion Waiters lousy contract on our books. Team s look to win trades. Do you think Danny Ainge sits around thinking about how fair he can be in trades? No, if someone accepts, do it. Win ata ll costs. 

8 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Of course if they can get a better player who fits the system better they should go after that player, but who is that player? Why is that player being traded? Once again, I think JJJ has a lot of flaws and I question whether he will be a solid #2 option but just dumping him after 2 years makes no sense to me. You would have to get a real upgrade and how many teams are going to give up an All-Star for a second year player still on his rookie contract?

When is the last time the Grizz even broke even in a trade? Look at our most recent trade by the wunderkinds in the front office now who should never be questioned. We got ripped. We gave away 2 contributors to make MIA even deeper while all we got was a few games from Dieng and Dion Waiters lousy contract on our books. Team s look to win trades. Do you think Danny Ainge sits around thinking about how fair he can be in trades? No, if someone accepts, do it. Win ata ll costs. 

I put a trade idea on the Trade Forum suggesting Zach Levine and the #4 pick for Justise Winslow and Jaren Jackson. 

As for trades I loved the Andre Iquodala and a first round pick for Julian Washburn. I think Zach Randolph for Quentin Richardson was pretty sharp. I think Winslow for AI, Crowder and Hill was smart at the time but the team didn't foresee a pandemic shutting down the season the day before Winslow was supposed to make his return. They didn't anticipate his hip injury. It's pretty early to be denouncing the FO for that deal. 

I agree to win at all costs in trades which is why you float ideas like JJJ and Winslow for Levine and the #4 pick. Chicago likely would counter with those players but no pick and I'd hope the FO says no. The important thing is the FO keeps making calls and keeps trying to make deals. The idea that you sit behind your desk to scared to make a call because the other side may not make a decent offer is silly. The team isn't shopping Jaren. They can be specific about trying to make a deal however.  

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I put a trade idea on the Trade Forum suggesting Zach Levine and the #4 pick for Justise Winslow and Jaren Jackson. 

I've put my thoughts on Zach Levine on this board before and quite honestly, I think including JJJ in a deal for him would be too much. But that's just me. I would rather add than swap out production at one position for another and then have a deficiency at another position. I think he puts up nice stats and highlights but doesn't do much to help you win. 

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I've put my thoughts on Zach Levine on this board before and quite honestly, I think including JJJ in a deal for him would be too much. But that's just me. I would rather add than swap out production at one position for another and then have a deficiency at another position. I think he puts up nice stats and highlights but doesn't do much to help you win. 

You wouldn't even make a call because you'd be scared that the opposing GM would lowball and offer to you. 😄

I suggested Levine and the #4 pick not just Levine. I agree with you that Levine alone is not enough. I said that already in fact. It doesn't belie the truth that the FO needs to be looking always for a deal that they can win to make the team better. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

You wouldn't even make a call because you'd be scared that the opposing GM would lowball and offer to you. 😄

I suggested Levine and the #4 pick not just Levine. I agree with you that Levine alone is not enough. I said that already in fact. It doesn't belie the truth that the FO needs to be looking always for a deal that they can win to make the team better. 

I'll be honest, I am multitasking (supposedly working) and I totally overlooked that the #4 was included.

I have no idea why CHI would do a deal like that because in NBA circles Lavine is looked at as better than both JJJ and Winslow, Winslow is injury prone but then CHI will add in a top 4 lottery pick? You really think they would offer that for JJJ? Seems like we should be the ones offering a 1st round pick to sweeten our side, not them. 

23 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I'll be honest, I am multitasking (supposedly working) and I totally overlooked that the #4 was included.

I have no idea why CHI would do a deal like that because in NBA circles Lavine is looked at as better than both JJJ and Winslow, Winslow is injury prone but then CHI will add in a top 4 lottery pick? You really think they would offer that for JJJ? Seems like we should be the ones offering a 1st round pick to sweeten our side, not them. 

No harm in asking. Trying to get a win for the Grizzlies. Earlier you said Levine wasn’t good enough. Now he’s too good. With that mindset it is difficult to see a trade being done. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

No harm in asking. Trying to get a win for the Grizzlies. Earlier you said Levine wasn’t good enough. Now he’s too good. With that mindset it is difficult to see a trade being done. 

When did I say he wasn't good enough? I said that I question whether he is a winner or if he just puts up stats on bad teams. I said that he puts up nice stats and highlights but really doesn't win.  

Also, when did I say he's too good? I said in the NBA circles  he is looked at as a better player than JJJ or Winslow, that's not saying he's too good. That's saying he's looked at as a better player than either JJJ or Winslow. 

In what alternate universe would a team give up a guy who is avg 25 ppg and 5 rpg ALONG WITH  a top 4 lottery pick for 2 guys who haven't proven anything? Of course you can ask, you'll get laughed out of Chicagoland but go ahead and ask. 

I gotta interject, it is Zach LaVine, not Levine. Zach and #4 would be more enticing if there was someone to be super excited about at number 4. Like Deni seems decent, but I don't think he's the second coming of Luka, probably something closer to Otto Porter at his ceiling. Edwards and Wiseman (particularly Edwards for me) would be nice, but they both will most likely be gone by #4. Onyeka Okongwu doesn't offer anything that Brandon doesn't already offer. Maybe if we traded them Dillon  and got back Wendell Carter I'd be happy enough, but I don't know. 

I still probably pass. 

19 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

When did I say he wasn't good enough? I said that I question whether he is a winner or if he just puts up stats on bad teams. I said that he puts up nice stats and highlights but really doesn't win.  

Also, when did I say he's too good? I said in the NBA circles  he is looked at as a better player than JJJ or Winslow, that's not saying he's too good. That's saying he's looked at as a better player than either JJJ or Winslow. 

In what alternate universe would a team give up a guy who is avg 25 ppg and 5 rpg ALONG WITH  a top 4 lottery pick for 2 guys who haven't proven anything? Of course you can ask, you'll get laughed out of Chicagoland but go ahead and ask. 

You don't believe a team wouldn't be willing to get rid of a player who's add a serious knee injury and who is, in your words, not a winner and who just puts up stats on a bad team for a 20 year Unicorn who still has room to develop and a second starter talent? 

You can't have it both ways. Either Levine is a stat stuffer who only gets numbers on a bad team or he is better than JJJ and Winslow. Unless of course you believe JJJ and Winslow are worse than a stat stuffer who only gets numbers on bad teams. If that is the case why shouldn't the Grizzlies be shopping them both? 

Finally, how exactly does someone win a trade, like your example of Danny Ainge does in Boston, if they aren't trying to acquire players who are worth more than what you are offering? 

Why are the Bulls shopping Lavine instead of trying to max him out and build around him if he is so good? 

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Why are the Bulls shopping Lavine instead of trying to max him out and build around him if he is so good? 

Any shopping  is just rumours and he has expressed an issue with the coaching,  granted that's been rectified recently. 

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Because he doesn't like it there, but that possibly had to do more with the coach than the organization. Who knows at the end of the day. They aren't "shopping" him, I'd assume they are just doing due diligence. Clearly they aren't super attached to him though. 

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

Because he doesn't like it there, but that possibly had to do more with the coach than the organization. Who knows at the end of the day. They aren't "shopping" him, I'd assume they are just doing due diligence. Clearly they aren't super attached to him though. 

That's my point. If they thought he was so great, they would clear it up and put a max extension on the table. The only way he gets out is if he asks out. 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Who said they are shopping him? I didn’t. I simply suggested he and the 4th pick in this draft for Jackson and Winslow is at least worth discussing. 

This is a discussion board after all. 

I personally think it would be a mistake to include JJJ in a trade for Lavine.  JJJ has more upside and is a better fit with Ja imo..  Heck I wouldn't want to part with Clarke for him even.  I'm only really potentially interested if he comes pretty cheap as far as future assets goes.

I wouldn't know what to do with the 4th pick if we had it this year either, it's definitely less valuable than most top 5 picks in most other drafts, imo.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Who said they are shopping him? I didn’t. I simply suggested he and the 4th pick in this draft for Jackson and Winslow is at least worth discussing. 

He is rumored to be available. 

42 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He is rumored to be available. 

Possibly but I didn’t say it. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

There’s a trade forum

4 hours ago, Allen said:

There’s a trade forum

Oh I posted the trade idea there. I posted the article about a Grizzlies player here.

Jaren is the type of player that you have to wait until he hits his ceiling before you even think about trading him.  Your setting yourself up to look stupid 

22 hours ago, grizzknob said:

I personally think it would be a mistake to include JJJ in a trade for Lavine.  JJJ has more upside and is a better fit with Ja imo..  Heck I wouldn't want to part with Clarke for him even.  I'm only really potentially interested if he comes pretty cheap as far as future assets goes.

I wouldn't know what to do with the 4th pick if we had it this year either, it's definitely less valuable than most top 5 picks in most other drafts, imo.

Not sure Jaren is a great fit with Ja.  

If we wanted to optimize both of our young studs we should try to get BOTH Wiseman (ideal fit with Ja) and Deni (secondary playmaker who can get Jaren going and help him out on the boards).  I guess we would have to move Clarke and Jonas plus Dillon/Other players/boatload of picks — but I think it would be worth it.  Ironically we could end up getting two of the top players in the draft (I think they are the BEST two) AND maybe even one of the best shooters in the draft if we can keep our 40th pick (or buy a second rounder if we have to throw in 40 in a draft night mega deal).  

I'd say Jaren is a perfect fit for Ja, worst case Jaren is premier 3 point shooter that provides spacing for Ja (and helps cover defensive lapses). Best case, he spaces the floor, and becomes more of a threat in the pick and roll, because right now he's better as a pick and pop guy.