bhoyal

What are you watching in place of sports?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Ha ha ha.....this is funny.  Just letting you know, I'm going to plaigerize you and use that expression when talking with friends and family.

Sure. Go for it.  I feel bad about my UnFriend from Hawaii.  He posted the most killer sunset pictures.  His Hawaii pics didn’t even look real.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Apathy is the fuel for taking away your freedoms.  So i guess you would be cool with all our agencies having ability to record and tap your Phone without a warrant.  Police randomly stopping and confiscating your property.  This isnt stuff you want to take lightly.

You don't get it. Private technology and big data companies are already doing that. Are you as paranoid and upset with private technology companies as you are with the government? I'm not apathetic. I'm realistic. All of this stuff that people are so afraid of the government doing is already being done by private technology companies and they are making money off of you, off of your location, off of your private data. I'm more upset with that than i am the government. And what makes you think they aren't giving that data to the government? THEY ARE. There is no privacy anymore. If you have SIri or Google Assistant or Google Home or Amazon Alexa, it's listening to everything you say and do. Everything that you do on your computer is tracked, everything with your smartphone is tracked. These web browsers (Google, Microsoft) share your data and search results with Facebook, Amazon, etc There is no privacy and these technology and big data companies know more about you than you know about yourself.

As far as police go, lol. i'm a Black man in America. That's been happening to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was disappointed in the The Scheme. I thought it would have more meat but just remember, I was the first on the board to tell people about Tiger King!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

You don't get it. Private technology and big data companies are already doing that. Are you as paranoid and upset with private technology companies as you are with the government? I'm not apathetic. I'm realistic. All of this stuff that people are so afraid of the government doing is already being done by private technology companies and they are making money off of you, off of your location, off of your private data. I'm more upset with that than i am the government. And what makes you think they aren't giving that data to the government? THEY ARE. There is no privacy anymore. If you have SIri or Google Assistant or Google Home or Amazon Alexa, it's listening to everything you say and do. Everything that you do on your computer is tracked, everything with your smartphone is tracked. These web browsers (Google, Microsoft) share your data and search results with Facebook, Amazon, etc There is no privacy and these technology and big data companies know more about you than you know about yourself.

As far as police go, lol. i'm a Black man in America. That's been happening to us. 

No i do get it and i am extremely frustrated that they already do it.  However, there are still thin laws in place that prevent them from utilizing that information against you criminally (for now) without the proper warrants.    Those restrictions are being stripped away.   Are you aware that if you are accused of being a terrorist in US you can be detained without trial indefinitely!?!?!   That clear violation of Constitution was part of the Patriot Act.   Obama used that law to lock up countless so called Whistleblowers.  Once again clear violation of our rights.   As a Black Man i would think you would be the last person that is okay with this.    Your ancestors were consistently victimized by the Governing Authorities abuse of laws.   Nixon created the "War on Drugs" to incarcerate Blacks (in his own words).   Using similar tactics that are being deployed today during this "crisis".   

I am telling ya'll this ain't simply about some virus.  Please pay attention to the civil liberties and Constitutional rights being taking away.  All in the name of "Protecting Us".  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

This headline is a bit sensational for what this actually means. The data being shared is essentially anonymized statistics that can be used to monitor mass movements of people and produce maps like these:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-social-distancing.html

Hint: The New York Times is not the government and already had that information because they paid for it (through a DI company who bought the raw data from Google). 

Google has illegally captured all data on all of us.   What do ya'll think they are doing with that or why do you think they need it?   Gov't have been contracting  private companies for years to circumvent the human rights laws.    Of course they are going to make it seem harmless.   Don't fall for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

No i do get it and i am extremely frustrated that they already do it.  However, there are still thin laws in place that prevent them from utilizing that information against you criminally (for now) without the proper warrants.    Those restrictions are being stripped away.   Are you aware that if you are accused of being a terrorist in US you can be detained without trial indefinitely!?!?!   That clear violation of Constitution was part of the Patriot Act.   Obama used that law to lock up countless so called Whistleblowers.  Once again clear violation of our rights.   As a Black Man i would think you would be the last person that is okay with this.    Your ancestors were consistently victimized by the Governing Authorities abuse of laws.   Nixon created the "War on Drugs" to incarcerate Blacks (in his own words).   Using similar tactics that are being deployed today during this "crisis".   

I am telling ya'll this ain't simply about some virus.  Please pay attention to the civil liberties and Constitutional rights being taking away.  All in the name of "Protecting Us".  

 

 

 

Yes, I am aware of the the Patriot Act. Here's what i am trying to make you aware of. There are numerous people including myself who feel that the Constitution was never written for people like my ancestors and we weren't included and there is ample evidence to            support this. So some may say, we didn't have Constitutional Rights in the first place and that's why so many figures of authority (politicians, judges, law enforcement) have treated us a certain way over the years. They have justified it in their own heads so they treat us a certain way. So trying to tell a group of people who feel that way, that if they don't do such and such, they may lose something that they never felt that they had in the first place, probably ain't going to work. Do you understand? It's like going to some country and finding a group of people who are beaten and isolated from society and saying "hey guys if you don't take actions, A, B and C, you MAY be beaten and isolated from society" They will probably scratch their heads and say, "we're already being beaten and isolated from society". Laying out consequences of what may happen to people who are already living those consequences, probably isn't going to change their behavior or get them more interested in the topic that you are discussing.

As far as the War on Drugs, i am very well aware of the W.o.D. and the impact on the Black community in the U.S. as this has been something I have been railing against and telling people about since I was a teenager in the 1990s. Let's just say I am very well versed on that subject and leave it at that. To me, it's just further evidence that the rights of certain people do not exist or at the very least, the government will find ways to subvert those rights. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying as far as rights can be taken away, what i am saying is, there are disaffected populations who feel their rights have already been taken away or those rights never existed in the first place because people of authority routinely violate those rights. It's hard to tell people who are already living the consequences that "hey, if this happens, this may be the consequences" They are living it already. As far as the surveillance and technology, private companies are already tracking and surveilling people. They have convinced us as consumers to buy products for convenience which are nothing more than bugs to listen in on us. We traded our privacy for convenience through technology a long time ago. I will say though, that they may try to do things to a larger population which would affect more people.

With that beings aid, good conversation, but let's get back to bball or what people are watching, i'm not trying to get into socio-political conversations on this board (although i have but I prefer to keep it light) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Yes, I am aware of the the Patriot Act. Here's what i am trying to make you aware of. There are numerous people including myself who feel that the Constitution was never written for people like my ancestors and we weren't included and there is ample evidence to            support this. So some may say, we didn't have Constitutional Rights in the first place and that's why so many figures of authority (politicians, judges, law enforcement) have treated us a certain way over the years. They have justified it in their own heads so they treat us a certain way. So trying to tell a group of people who feel that way, that if they don't do such and such, they may lose something that they never felt that they had in the first place, probably ain't going to work. Do you understand? It's like going to some country and finding a group of people who are beaten and isolated from society and saying "hey guys if you don't take actions, A, B and C, you MAY be beaten and isolated from society" They will probably scratch their heads and say, "we're already being beaten and isolated from society". Laying out consequences of what may happen to people who are already living those consequences, probably isn't going to change their behavior or get them more interested in the topic that you are discussing.

As far as the War on Drugs, i am very well aware of the W.o.D. and the impact on the Black community in the U.S. as this has been something I have been railing against and telling people about since I was a teenager in the 1990s. Let's just say I am very well versed on that subject and leave it at that. To me, it's just further evidence that the rights of certain people do not exist or at the very least, the government will find ways to subvert those rights. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying as far as rights can be taken away, what i am saying is, there are disaffected populations who feel their rights have already been taken away or those rights never existed in the first place because people of authority routinely violate those rights. It's hard to tell people who are already living the consequences that "hey, if this happens, this may be the consequences" They are living it already. As far as the surveillance and technology, private companies are already tracking and surveilling people. They have convinced us as consumers to buy products for convenience which are nothing more than bugs to listen in on us. We traded our privacy for convenience through technology a long time ago. I will say though, that they may try to do things to a larger population which would affect more people.

With that beings aid, good conversation, but let's get back to bball or what people are watching, i'm not trying to get into socio-political conversations on this board (although i have but I prefer to keep it light) 

Yea i figured you understood where i was coming from.   I was a young adult in the 90s and that was the last time we were somewhat free.  

   I was just wondering if our international brothers and sisters on here were seeing the same things i am.    I don't like the panic and chaos the Media is inducing across this country and can see how it is being used to manipulate the masses.     This is the best place for me to get honest opinions from folks i respect on how its affecting them outside of what is being shown on TV.    To be honest - US media routinely doesn't show the rest of the world in the best light.   It wasn't till i was able to travel internationally that i was really able to see how overall good and peaceful other countries are.    But they are shutting down entire countries based off of single-digit deaths???    That doesn't smell right to me. Especially considering there have been bigger more deadlier outbreaks of TB 2 yrs ago that didn't have anywhere near this response.    Then all these CEO's stepping down and selling off stocks a couple of months prior to the outbreak.   My SpiderSense been tingling like crazy this entire time. 

The irony is that sitting back watching all this series and movies.   This is the exact plot in majority of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't like the panic and chaos the Media is inducing across this country and can see how it is being used to manipulate the masses.     

Amen brother!  

ESPN reported that former football player Tom Dempsey (us older folks remember him) died after contracting the corona virus.

Of course it's not until the last part of the article that they mention he has had dementia since 2012 and he was in a nursing home.

Corona virus pushed him over the edge, as any fever may have done.  But the way it's reported aids the narrative of panic and fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Amen brother!  

ESPN reported that former football player Tom Dempsey (us older folks remember him) died after contracting the corona virus.

Of course it's not until the last part of the article that they mention he has had dementia since 2012 and he was in a nursing home.

Corona virus pushed him over the edge, as any fever may have done.  But the way it's reported aids the narrative of panic and fear.

Yep they did the same thing with the Death of a University of Memphis professor here.   His daughter came out on Instagram and said they are lying he didn't die from Coronavirus and had been battling other serious health issues.   Mysteriously her post was deleted a few hours later but luckily people had screencapped it.   Rabbit hole goes deep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I randomly had a weird dream that I was watching a deep fake boxing match between Ali and Tyson. Was a very vivid dream too. It was weird. In the dream I wasn’t watching it on tv but I was watching it live  in the crowd probably in the 60’s or 70’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was disappointed in the latest Dark Side of the Ring. It was about New Jack. Dude need to be in jail #1 but #2, it seemed liked the wrestlers than participated didn't break kayfabe, like it was one big work or something. Up until this point, all of the other ones came across as authentic trying to tell the real story whereas with New Jack's, you had Sandman talking about how New Jack is from South Central L.A. (he's from South Carolina). just other stuff as well. Came across as a joke and he did some stuff to people in teh ring that had nothing to do with the script. Total disappointment. Hope then next one is better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I was disappointed in the latest Dark Side of the Ring. It was about New Jack. Dude need to be in jail #1 but #2, it seemed liked the wrestlers than participated didn't break kayfabe, like it was one big work or something. Up until this point, all of the other ones came across as authentic trying to tell the real story whereas with New Jack's, you had Sandman talking about how New Jack is from South Central L.A. (he's from South Carolina). just other stuff as well. Came across as a joke and he did some stuff to people in teh ring that had nothing to do with the script. Total disappointment. Hope then next one is better. 

Dark side of the ring is the Netflix one about former wrestlers you recommended right?

I gotta get on that one. I wrapped up Tiger per yours and another’s suggestion last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Dark side of the ring is the Netflix one about former wrestlers you recommended right?

I gotta get on that one. I wrapped up Tiger per yours and another’s suggestion last week. 

It's on Vice TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are binge watching Survivor starting at Season 1. Seemed appropriate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chipc3 said:

We are binge watching Survivor starting at Season 1. Seemed appropriate

Hey Chip what’s up!  
 

I watched Wrestlemania — both nights.  Good stuff!!! I am a huge basketball fan but I was more of a wrestling fan than an NBA fan as a kid.

I finished reading Anti-Education by Nietzsche the other night.  Luckily I have a ton of unread books....

I am not much for TV shows.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Hey Chip what’s up!  
 

I watched Wrestlemania — both nights.  Good stuff!!! I am a huge basketball fan but I was more of a wrestling fan than an NBA fan as a kid.

I finished reading Anti-Education by Nietzsche the other night.  Luckily I have a ton of unread books....

I am not much for TV shows.

 

 

Not surprised someone so into draft boards would be reading the philosophies of someone who believed in a super-man. Be warned that Hitler read Nietzsche a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Not surprised someone so into draft boards would be reading the philosophies of someone who believed in a super-man. Be warned that Hitler read Nietzsche a lot.

yeah I knew that.  I like the book though since it attacked The Prussian/Statist use of education (worker bees/usefulness) vs. Classic Education which is basically antithetical towards a statists’ view towards education.  Classical Education might not be for all — it would then cease to be Classical Education.  Classical Education revolves heavily around philosophy and languages (liberal arts stuff).  Nietzsche valued this even though others thought it was deemed “useless” by the emerging Prussian super state.  In fact, he and his friends took pride in being as “useless” as possible.

As the world’s leading philosopher of Non-Essentialism I thought the book was a good read.  I have some sports books to get through, some science fiction, but Sartre Saturday will be here by the end of the week.  
 

I am also rereading AntiFragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb which is one of my favorite books.  
 

Also gonna read some books about Memphis wrestling history.  
 

By the end of our current, exhausting existential crisis, Memphis may indeed be a pro wrestling town again.  
 

While plowing through your own personal Non-Essentialist reading list may I recommend listening to Vangelis? More specifically, the Blade Runner sound track. MOST specifically the Love Theme.  
 

 

ALT GRIND

The Golden Age of the ABA is TRULY upon us!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

yeah I knew that.  I like the book though since it attacked The Prussian/Statist use of education (worker bees/usefulness) vs. Classic Education which is basically antithetical towards a statists’ view towards education.  Classical Education might not be for all — it would then cease to be Classical Education.  Classical Education revolves heavily around philosophy and languages (liberal arts stuff).  Nietzsche valued this even though others thought it was deemed “useless” by the emerging Prussian super state.  In fact, he and his friends took pride in being as “useless” as possible.

As the world’s leading philosopher of Non-Essentialism I thought the book was a good read.  I have some sports books to get through, some science fiction, but Sartre Saturday will be here by the end of the week.  
 

I am also rereading AntiFragile by Nassim Nicholas Taleb which is one of my favorite books.  
 

Also gonna read some books about Memphis wrestling history.  
 

By the end of our current, exhausting existential crisis, Memphis may indeed be a pro wrestling town again.  
 

While plowing through your own personal Non-Essentialist reading list may I recommend listening to Vangelis? More specifically, the Blade Runner sound track. MOST specifically the Love Theme.  
 

 

ALT GRIND

The Golden Age of the ABA is TRULY upon us!

 

 

There’s No Exit this weekend! 
 

Sorry. I just had to pull that pun out of my back pocket. I doubt many people will even understand the reference but I assume you will.
 

Another timely read right now would be Black Swan by Taleb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

We are binge watching Survivor starting at Season 1. Seemed appropriate

Wow! Only 40 more seasons or so to go!

I remember that first season just absolutely hooking me in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

There’s No Exit this weekend! 
 

Sorry. I just had to pull that pun out of my back pocket. I doubt many people will even understand the reference but I assume you will.
 

Another timely read right now would be Black Swan by Taleb. 

I have Black Swan. Haven’t read it yet.  I might — if our current crisis lasts as long as it might.  A newer book of Taleb’s is good too — I think it is called Barbell Theory or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I watched Don’t f... with cats on Netflix, it was really good. It sounds like something really stupid then turns into something big and deeper, it’s like 3 or 4 episodes an hour each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to allow us to re- watch the season? 

I would love to be able to watch each game in the right order ( cause context matters in big wins as well as close losses) .

it would give us time to nitpick little tendencies as well as applaud milestones...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Not surprised someone so into draft boards would be reading the philosophies of someone who believed in a super-man. Be warned that Hitler read Nietzsche a lot.

The guy in "Fish Called Wanda" (Otto?) like Nietzsche too but that's a different story.

After seeing this quote recently...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”  ― Issac Asimov

I will have to read more Asimov.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Is there a way to allow us to re- watch the season? 

I would love to be able to watch each game in the right order ( cause context matters in big wins as well as close losses) .

it would give us time to nitpick little tendencies as well as applaud milestones...

Well you may be late but I think they are replaying key games with Grizz Rewind. i'm not sure of any place to watch in order

ETkj7ALXYAEMTfd?format=png&name=900x900

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.