Ole Dirty Klondike

Will Coronavirus Affect the 2020-21 Salary Cap?

With the season being suspended until further notice. How does this impact overall revenues? Will this lower the salary cap for next season?

Have to imagine it does, unless they’re able to still play the remaining games out later (though the way this is going, it doesn’t seem they will/should).

I suspect that was a major motivation for cancelling the games instead of playing without fans. They want to resume play at a later date in order to save revenue earning potential. 

Just now, Dwash said:

I suspect that was a major motivation for cancelling the games instead of playing without fans. They want to resume play at a later date in order to save revenue earning potential. 

Rudy Gobert tested positive and they are quarantining players. I think that is what suspended the season

5 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Rudy Gobert tested positive and they are quarantining players. I think that is what suspended the season

I agree but I think they were going to go down this route eventually.  Gobert just sped it up. 

It makes sense to suspend.  Wait 3 weeks, adjust the schedule and play most the games.

Smaller or no refunds given.

Side note: Get JJJ BC and Justise healthy.

9 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It makes sense to suspend.  Wait 3 weeks, adjust the schedule and play most the games.

Smaller or no refunds given.

Side note: Get JJJ BC and Justise healthy.

I agree, NBA make a wise decision if i compare with my own country. They start to allow meeting not over 5000 people, then reduce to 1000 people then start  only now  to cancel event...what a bunch of stupid people!!!

Just now, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I agree, NBA make a wise decision if i compare with my own country. They start to allow meeting not over 5000 people, then reduce to 1000 people then start  only now  to cancel event...what a bunch of stupid people!!!

They're just ensuring that it spreads slowly.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I agree but I think they were going to go down this route eventually.  Gobert just sped it up. 

Maybe but a lot of talking heads (including Woj) are saying the plan was to play with no fans and teh Gobert thing led to thems uspending the season. 

This is going to be very interesting. They have played roughly 80% of the season. the NBA Salary Cap was projected to increase but not as much as previously thought. Now you have an unknown threat that has suspended the season. If they stop now, what does that mean for the salary cap? What does it mean if they don't play any playoff games and miss out on that revenue? Will it be a steep drop in the salary cap? How would that affect the Grizz (and other teams)? Would they hold steady on the projections to try to "normalize" things or will they make a drastic drop in the salary cap to account for the loss in revenue?

I just don't see the NBA being able to reschedule all this games (a month worth)

Especially with all different arenas around the U.S

32 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

I just don't see the NBA being able to reschedule all this games (a month worth)

Especially with all different arenas around the U.S

If they re-schedule all the regular season games, then the playoffs would have to be re-scheduled as well. It would be a logistics nightmare. I think that the best we can hope for is the playoffs, based on the current standings.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

They're just ensuring that it spreads slowly.:ph34r:

This is actually not a joke. At this point the virus is out and nothing can stop it from spreading. The goal now is to keep the rate of infection low enough that the medical services don’t get swamped by new cases. This is what really makes the death rates go up as people with severe cases that would otherwise survive die because all the ICU beds are already taken.

The problem is even with perfect information there is no perfect response: be too lenient and risk an out of control outbreak; be too strict and risk a recession and a possible secondary outbreak once the restrictions are lifted. Add to that the lack of information due to insufficient testing and you can imagine how hard it is to take decisions.

And to top it all, if the preemptive measures are successful and the epidemic fizzles out with few total deaths, policymakers will be blasted for overreacting.

In any case the worst course of action is doing nothing at all. It sucks that the NBA and so many other things are being disrupted but it’s a very minor price to pay in the greater scheme of things.

6 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

This is going to be very interesting. They have played roughly 80% of the season. the NBA Salary Cap was projected to increase but not as much as previously thought. Now you have an unknown threat that has suspended the season If they stop now, what does that mean for teh salary cap? What does it mean if they don't play any playoff games and miss out on that revenue? Will it be a steep drop in teh salary cap? How would that affect the Grizz (and other teams)? Would they hold steady on the projections to try to "normalize" things or will they make a drastic drop in the salary cap to account for the loss in revenue?

Hard to estimate as we don’t know when or if the season will be resumed, and what impact, if any, this will have on TV revenue. A 20% drop in BRI is not out of the question.

However given the very exceptional situation I would expect some kind of negotiation among the league, owners and players in order to reduce the impact. I don’t think the league intends to cause a financial mess for years to come.

12 hours ago, GameOn said:

If they re-schedule all the regular season games, then the playoffs would have to be re-scheduled as well. It would be a logistics nightmare. I think that the best we can hope for is the playoffs, based on the current standings.

In another thread I posted this (basically): restart the season June 1st.  Go straight to the playoffs. Top 6 teams in each conference get byes.  Teams 7-10 play five game series for the 7th and 8th spots.  All other rounds until the finals are 5 games.

I would be ok either way. We had a great year.  More highlights this season than our average DECADE.

Feel bad for Bucks’ fans.  Any other small market teams with a legit shot and a small window.  

When stuff gets back, our team is awesome with a wide open window.

The league had China issues to start the year, then sagging ratings now THIS.  I bet sports leagues have gone under from less adverse situations.  Shades of the last days of WCW?

The league probably needs LeBron/Giannis Finals now.  Game 7 on the 4th of July wouldn’t be the worst thing.

The league probably needs another Bird/Magic/Jordan trio.  Maybe Luka/Zion/Ja are those guys.  They also need to build up/market/brand/hype up the individual teams, especially small markets.

Moving teams will kill the league.  Cash in and expand.  Legit biggest offseason in league history coming up (at some point).  

12 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Hard to estimate as we don’t know when or if the season will be resumed, and what impact, if any, this will have on TV revenue. A 20% drop in BRI is not out of the question.

However given the very exceptional situation I would expect some kind of negotiation among the league, owners and players in order to reduce the impact. I don’t think the league intends to cause a financial mess for years to come.

Now that I think about it, it would be.more than a 20% impact. They have played 80% of the season but we haven't factored in the revenue from playoff games which I would assume have a higher attendance rate. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and what impact it will

Yes, it'll effect it drastically. There are some "key games" left in the regular season and obviously the playoffs. We also have to factor in what occurred over in China back in the fall and how that is dropping the salary cap as well.

Yep. Big time losses if they don’t come back.  But if they DO then the playoff ratings could be EPIC.  

Grizz would be fun. Luka would be in the playoffs too.  A potential Lakers/Bucks or a Lakers/Celtics or Lakers/Sixers would help salvage a season that was careening towards abject disaster.  

Sleeper pick:  Memphis’ Vancouver Grizzlies alternate unis versus the Heat’s Miami Vice jerseys. And that might be what we all need.

54 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yep. Big time losses if they don’t come back.  But if they DO then the playoff ratings could be EPIC.  

Grizz would be fun. Luka would be in the playoffs too.  A potential Lakers/Bucks or a Lakers/Celtics or Lakers/Sixers would help salvage a season that was careening towards abject disaster.  

Sleeper pick:  Memphis’ Vancouver Grizzlies alternate unis versus the Heat’s Miami Vice jerseys. And that might be what we all need.

They need to wear the Vancouver unis all playoffs. Those things are beautiful. 

4 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

They need to wear the Vancouver unis all playoffs. Those things are beautiful. 

I love our beale st blues as well and am just happy that has been our weapon of choice the past 2 years. We have been blessed with some great colorways

2020 Playoffs Or Bust.

China/Ratings/CoronaVirus. No playoffs too??? Not sure we could withstand the FOURTH Horseman of the NBAPOCALYPSE.