GameOn

NBA SUSPENDS SEASON UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

11 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Pistons big man Christian Wood has tested positive for the virus.... they played the Jazz on March 7th.  Yikes

Yeah there is a rumor that a young fan Gobert signed an autograph for has it. 

44 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I could see them going to a no fans regular season in April. There is a vaccine being produced. 

your right , there is a vaccine being produced, but when, 

16 minutes ago, lions said:

A year, year and a half away, at best.

https://www.quora.com/How-long-until-we-have-a-coronavirus-vaccine/answer/Robert-Devor-4 (needs registration but can be accessed with a Google or Facebook account)

The problem (at this point) is not manufacturing the vaccine. The virus' DNA has been sequenced and the virus itself has been grown in animal tissues in the lab. That's great news because it allows for the production of candidate vaccines, but the longer part of the process is their testing, first in animals, then in humans. This process is critical and cannot be shortened because you don't want to mass produce and distribute a vaccine that turns out to lose effect a couple months after the shot, or even worse, have more serious side effects than the disease it's trying to cure.

Just now, lions said:

Some reports I read said the vaccine is at least a year away. First the vaccine has to be created then a lot of testing has to be done before they can roll it out to the public. Even then, there's no guarantee that the vaccine will be 100% effective. I know several people that got a flu shot (for regular flu) and they still got a flu.

1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

https://www.quora.com/How-long-until-we-have-a-coronavirus-vaccine/answer/Robert-Devor-4

The problem (at this point) is not manufacturing the vaccine. The virus' DNA has been sequenced and the virus itself has been grown in animal tissues in the lab. That's great news because it allows for the production of candidadate vaccines, but the longer part of the process is their testing, first in animals, then in humans. This process is critical and cannot be shortened because you don't want to mass produce and distribute a vaccine that turns out to lose effect a couple months after the shot, or even worse, have more serious side effects than the disease it's trying to cure.

Every time I read one of your posts, it is incredible how much we are on the same page! I can remember lots of times during games that I was going to post a comment, but didn't because you had already posted my exact thoughts. Cheers bro.

13 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

I need hoops..

You have become infected with SBWS (Sudden Basketball Withdrawal Syndrome). Dwash was patient zero when he said "why does 2 nights with no basketball seem like 2 months". Stock up on toilet paper and self-quarantine until basketball resumes. 😁

Just now, GameOn said:

Some reports I read said the vaccine is at least a year away. First the vaccine has to be created then a lot of testing has to be done before they can roll it out to the public. Even then, there's no guarantee that the vaccine will be 100% effective. I know several people that got a flu shot (for regular flu) and they still got a flu.

The flu vaccine is especially complicated because it has to be produced every year before anybody knows what strain is going to be the most prevalent. So the health authorities make an educated guess about what strains will be prioritized and you get a shot for those. Then:

- There may be a completely new strain nobody could have predicted (e.g. Spanish flu or H1N1) and everyone is screwed.

- The initial guess is wrong and some strain spreads that's not covered by the vaccine, and then those who don't already have immunity against it are screwed (usually children and young adults)

- The guess is correct and you get the vaccine but your body doesn't acquire immunity / doesn't mount a strong immune response, and then you are screwed.

Still, much better than no vaccine at all.

In the Coronavirus case, since all we need it protection against one particular strain (or rather strains, there are two of them) the expectation is that one vaccine should be able to be enough for life, but as you say, there's never 100% effectiveness. That's why herd immunity is so important. If enough people are vaccinated, even those who cannot be vaccinated or have immune issues will be protected as the virus won't be able to spread.

6 minutes ago, GameOn said:

Every time I read one of your posts, it is incredible how much we are on the same page! I can remember lots of times during games that I was going to post a comment, but didn't because you had already posted my exact thoughts. Cheers bro.

They must never find we're both posting from the same basement... oops, did I type that out loud?

22 minutes ago, GameOn said:

You have become infected with SBWS (Sudden Basketball Withdrawal Syndrome). Dwash was patient zero when he said "why does 2 nights with no basketball seem like 2 months". Stock up on toilet paper and self-quarantine until basketball resumes. 😁

+1 lol. 

10 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

The flu vaccine is especially complicated because it has to be produced every year before anybody knows what strain is going to be the most prevalent. So the health authorities make an educated guess about what strains will be prioritized and you get a shot for those. Then:

- There may be a completely new strain nobody could have predicted (e.g. Spanish flu or H1N1) and everyone is screwed.

- The initial guess is wrong and some strain spreads that's not covered by the vaccine, and then those who don't already have immunity against it are screwed (usually children and young adults)

- The guess is correct and you get the vaccine but your body doesn't acquire immunity / doesn't mount a strong immune response, and then you are screwed.

Still, much better than no vaccine at all.

In the Coronavirus case, since all we need it protection against one particular strain (or rather strains, there are two of them) the expectation is that one vaccine should be able to be enough for life, but as you say, there's never 100% effectiveness. That's why herd immunity is so important. If enough people are vaccinated, even those who cannot be vaccinated or have immune issues will be protected as the virus won't be able to spread.

You either work in the medical field or you have read a lot about health matters. I am aware of the cat and mouse games played every year between viruses and vaccines. Ultimately, I believe that people have to take personal responsibility and learn how to improve and maintain their personal immune systems. It IS doable. I started down that path 9 years ago and I have not had a cold nor a flu in the last 9 years. Somehow the human race managed to survive and evolve for thousands of years before vaccines existed, and viruses have been around forever. 

At this point in time, I'm more concerned with becoming infected with SBWS. 🏀

37 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

They must never find we're both posting from the same basement... oops, did I type that out loud?

Full Disclosure:  I am typing this from the office in my home. I have never been in fanboyslim's basement. However, our thoughts are eerily similar.

In semi-rural USA, Trump country, evangelical country, FOX news country the virus has been considered a hoax and a funny joke. I've been in some clinics. I know this. I hope that things are changing.
Stay safe, my friends.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

https://www.quora.com/How-long-until-we-have-a-coronavirus-vaccine/answer/Robert-Devor-4 (needs registration but can be accessed with a Google or Facebook account)

The problem (at this point) is not manufacturing the vaccine. The virus' DNA has been sequenced and the virus itself has been grown in animal tissues in the lab. That's great news because it allows for the production of candidate vaccines, but the longer part of the process is their testing, first in animals, then in humans. This process is critical and cannot be shortened because you don't want to mass produce and distribute a vaccine that turns out to lose effect a couple months after the shot, or even worse, have more serious side effects than the disease it's trying to cure.

I have heard those reports about a year and a half.  A doctor in my family has told me that they have daily meetings about this and she is being told soon. A potential vaccine was made a couple of months after the chinese outbreaks and they have contenders in the works. 

Have the Grizzlies been tested? 

16 hours ago, tangogriz said:

In semi-rural USA, Trump country, evangelical country, FOX news country the virus has been considered a hoax and a funny joke. I've been in some clinics. I know this. I hope that things are changing.
Stay safe, my friends.

Must be easy to go through life just writing off any inconvenient fact as nothing more than a 'liberal hoax' or 'fake news.'  Unfortunately for those folks, this crisis may force them to rethink that flawed and dangerous philosophy.  

I miss basketball so much 

Just now, grizzgolf said:

I miss basketball and all sports march madness

Just now, grizzgolf said:

Me too!!!!

We had an awesome year. I was looking forward to it ever since we drafted Ja.  The future looks good.  

If the season starts back I guess we are in the playoffs.  For the Win Total predictions maybe we should count playoff games.  IF the first 3 rounds are five game series and the Finals is seven games so if we win the title then I win the Win Total Prediction pony.  

Haven’t seen anything about any Grizzlies player catching the CoronaVirus.  I bet it will be on ESPN though.  

Ya'll lookin for a little time filler normally used on bball? Two words;

Death Stranding

I don't waste my time on video games, average 2 or 3 a year excluding 2k, so when I pick one I make sure it's the right one. This one's it. Started it in november. 50ish hours. Finished it tonight. What a trip. 

1 hour ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Finally i got the SBWS as well....

We all have it. Possible cure:  re-watching games played so far. Starting with the recent beat down of the Lakers on February 29. I can think of 31 other games that were also pretty good.

Obi Toppin entered the draft.  At what point would a delayed/canceled season/NBA as an entity push back the draft into next season’s college play (#NCAAvirus)?  

What are the odds that there won’t BE a 2020 draft?

Welp. My club in Denver is shut down for at least a month. Hurting my industry pretty badly. Our landlord for our building waived our rent for the month. Good people still exist. We’ll be able to withstand this for a bit but I’m worried a tad

CDC made a recommendation not to have gatherings of people in groups of 50+ for the next 8 weeks. I can't imagine the NBA will do anything but follow their recommendation. I doubt seriously we'll see any more regular season basketball this year.