GameOn

NBA SUSPENDS SEASON UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

On 4/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, Father Pat said:

With deaths from the virus projected until mid July in this country, I just don't see any way to realistically salvage this season. It just isn't happening. I believe that the best we can hope for is next season starting on time, or near time. Heck, there is a chance of the virus hitting with a "2nd wave". When large gatherings are finally allowed again, there is a good chance that at least initially there will be a requirement of everyone wearing masks. The CDC telling the public to wear masks will be the first step, which will be happening in the next few weeks.

I  think as a possible way to salvage the season is to consider doing something to the Big 3 tournament for the NBA tournament.  

Isolate the teams at one spot, or two spots (EC & WC) or even 4 spots, but there is a little travel as possible.  

Play games in front of no audiences (or only families and staff and whomever is in quarantine too).  Everyone involved in the tournament is in quarantine from 14 days before going to tournament,  then at the tournament nobody comes in, but people may leave. Games are best of whatever, but played like Vegas League, every day or every other day. 

Clearly, not as exciting as playing in front of crowds, but a whole lot better than no NBA or worse, continues outbreak of this virus.

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I  think as a possible way to salvage the season is to consider doing something to the Big 3 tournament for the NBA tournament.  

Isolate the teams at one spot, or two spots (EC & WC) or even 4 spots, but there is a little travel as possible.  

Play games in front of no audiences (or only families and staff and whomever is in quarantine too).  Everyone involved in the tournament is in quarantine from 14 days before going to tournament,  then at the tournament nobody comes in, but people may leave. Games are best of whatever, but played like Vegas League, every day or every other day. 

Clearly, not as exciting as playing in front of crowds, but a whole lot better than no NBA or worse, continues outbreak of this virus.

The thing is , these are players, in a union, and under contract. I'd guess that around 1/3rd to 1/4th of all players will have an end date for their contracts of June 30th at the very latest. The League and the players union are not known for quick contractual agreements. 

I think that by the time large gatherings, even what you suggest (not so large), are allowed to take place, it will be close to the end date of those many contracts. The time needed to iron things out between the League and players union, not to mention do the players actually WANT to play on, I just don't see it happening. Players would be thinking risk vs reward, and potential free agents will be the first to balk.