GameOn

NBA SUSPENDS SEASON UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

And three Sixers and a Nugget

Players too?!? All I saw was "members of the organizations" so it could be the waterboy for all we know. Not that it matters much, it's clearly spread through multiple teams. This season is looking done.

6 hours ago, cdp said:

Players too?!? All I saw was "members of the organizations" so it could be the waterboy for all we know. Not that it matters much, it's clearly spread through multiple teams. This season is looking done.

that"s what i'm thinking also, the season is over 

On 3/19/2020 at 5:41 AM, Myers said:

Here in Italy the spread of the disease is not homogeneous. The North is much more affected than the South (right now) because, I think, there are many more factories and companies which, big big big mistake, have not been closed in time.
Other factors are not yet known. Here (i'm, in the middle of the hell) it is very hard, the dead have quadrupled, clearly the elderly with bad health and the medical workers (real heroes) are most affected than the younger (average age of the death is 79yo, mostly men with others diseases), but some 30/40yo guys are sick too. I've already lost two people I knowed and  an aunt of mine is in the hospital in critical conditions.
I hope the rest of the world can stem this disaster. Stay home, stay safe, 
protect the elderly and the weak, grit and grind.

Ok first stay safe bro and I hope your family is ok.

Second how is the sports world over there when it comes to resuming play ??Especially with soccer I heard the european federation or whatever will try to resume play at all cost and I just don't see Italy recovering by that time.

34 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Ok first stay safe bro and I hope your family is ok.

Second how is the sports world over there when it comes to resuming play ??Especially with soccer I heard the european federation or whatever will try to resume play at all cost and I just don't see Italy recovering by that time.

About soccer: first of all Euro 2020 Championship has been postponed to 2021. This should (I hope) allow European leagues to end their championship in the summeralmost certainly playing without the crowd.

in Italy they hoped to resume in early May. I don't think it will be possible...  they will probably come up with a final four or something in July / August. Many foreign players are leaving Italy, afraid of the situation...

The European cups (Champions and Europa League) will all be hosted, I believe, in countries less affected by the virus (Turkey or Russia). Maybe with a kind of NCAA tournament, I don't know.

But any option is currently suspended, because the virus is spreading throughout old Europe, now also in the UK.

for me they should simply cancel any competition this year, as it was for the WWII. But I'm not in charge and businnes is always businnes, even in time like this...

I dont see the NBA starting back up till august at the earliest. That will also depend on how many other players show the virus.  

I just pulled this clip off an independent USA news service  (Gateway Pundit, March 20, 2020). A little hope in these dismal times:

Washington state which was the first state to be hit by the coronavirus is seeing their trendline starting to flatten.
The number of new cases and deaths is starting to see the curve flatten.

Washington state still leads the nation with 1,524 cases and 83 deaths including at least 30 from the Life Center senior home in Kirkland. 

Trace Gallagher: You’ll recall the first case was in Washington State. It also is where the death toll is highest. But the University of Washington virology department which is closely tracking Washington state numbers is now seeing the curve there flatten. So overall, US numbers are rising but the first state affected might be seeing a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Me again:  Now there is also talk about a drug called hydroxychloroquine (and some other drug that I can't even spell), that when used in combination have an effectiveness rate of 90% against the corona virus (based on results from some other countries that have tried this method). Both drugs are already FDA approved for human use, so this treatment could VERY quickly be used as the "go to" treatment option for people with serious life threatening symptoms due to the virus. Maybe we can get back to normal living again, sooner rather than later. And maybe we get back to basketball in May or June? Go Grizzlies. 

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

Me again:  Now there is also talk about a drug called hydroxychloroquine (and some other drug that I can't even spell), that when used in combination have an effectiveness rate of 90% against the corona virus (based on results from some other countries that have tried this method). Both drugs are already FDA approved for human use, so this treatment could VERY quickly be used as the "go to" treatment option for people with serious life threatening symptoms due to the virus. Maybe we can get back to normal living again, sooner rather than later. And maybe we get back to basketball in May or June? Go Grizzlies. 

The other drug is azithromycine, a common antibiotic.

Important note as this information has been circulating like wildfire: Those two drugs have major side effects when taken at the same time, so as GameOn says they may be used for very serious covid cases (if confirmed to be effective), but nobody should take them unless prescribed by a doctor. 

Azithromycine: (Major) Avoid coadministration of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. Hydroxychloroquine increases the QT interval and should not be administered with other drugs known to prolong the QT interval. Ventricular arrhythmias and torsade de pointes (TdP) have been reported with the use of hydroxychloroquine. There have been case reports of QT prolongation and TdP with the use of azithromycin in postmarketing reports.

In plain English that means higher risk of a heart attack. So not good unless you're already at high risk of dying.

In a hospital setting with 24/7 monitoring of your heart rhythm this risk can be acceptable so this could be definitely useful to lower the current death rates, especially for patients without access to ventilators.

From state of TN website that is updated more than daily:

There have been 694 people tested by TN Public Health Labs, with 52 of 694 turning up positive.

There have also been a reported 319 confirmed cases (tested by private labs), totaling 371 cases.

Davidson County (Nashville) has 140 of those.  Williamson County (Brentwood/Franklin, near Nashville) has 47. Shelby (Memphis) has 40. I think Memphis was just at 4 a couple days ago, but I'm writing this out to help my memory, because 4 to 40 is quite a jump.  The only other double digit county is Sumner at 11 (also near Nashville).

(Website also has "Out of TN" at 59 - not sure if that is non-TN residents that were found to be a confirmed case at a TN health clinic or what).

Stay safe all of you guys !! Here we strat to stay home amd limit all move from  today... it's not funny but we have to do it. I see the general data per country and USA is expending fast. Having experience of the crisis since january data have to be taken cautiously. it depend only on testing number. Lot of country do not make any test . Thailand where i live for example start to make test in quantities only 4 days ago. And data explode here now too.

To follow up on GameOn's post, another trial is showing a lot of promise for a flu drug to treat the coronavirus. It doesn't seem to do as well on the most serious cases, but if it can be used to reduce the number of people with mild or no symptoms going spreading the virus it will be a major weapon against the pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

As I look at the timelines for vaccines and treatment, I'm not only less confident that we won't get a completion to this NBA season, I'm thinking there won't be a NCAA/NFL football season....maybe a shortened season, but I hope I'm not being too pessimistic, but possibly a delay on the start to next NBA season as well.

Still hopeful for NBA playoffs in some capacity, but trying to be realistic about how long this could really be.

HUGE NEWS:

Background

A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.

In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.

A therapeutic agent that prevents infection with novel coronavirus is highly desirable--especially for persons with high-risk exposure (e.g healthcare professionals) as well as persons with comorbidities (heart disease, diabetes, etc) and compromised immune systems. Ground-breaking in vitro studies demonstrate potential efficacy of hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic for novel coronavirus infection in primate cells.

Note: Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Source:  covidtrial.io

Me:  Could this be the "silver bullet"? NY state governor Cuomo said they they are going to begin using this treatment protocol IMMEDIATELY. If this treatment works as expected, that's the end of the covid-19 panic. And we can get back to normal and back to the NBA regular season. OK, you can breathe out now!

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

HUGE NEWS:

Background

A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.

In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.

A therapeutic agent that prevents infection with novel coronavirus is highly desirable--especially for persons with high-risk exposure (e.g healthcare professionals) as well as persons with comorbidities (heart disease, diabetes, etc) and compromised immune systems. Ground-breaking in vitro studies demonstrate potential efficacy of hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic for novel coronavirus infection in primate cells.

Note: Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Me:  Could this be the "silver bullet"? NY state governor Cuomo said they they are going to begin using this treatment protocol IMMEDIATELY. If this treatment works as expected, that's the end of the covid-19 panic. And we can get back to normal and back to the NBA regular season. OK, you can breathe out now!

Will we have to get a CHIP to access and post on these message boards though?

#MicroChip

3 hours ago, GameOn said:

HUGE NEWS:

Background

What’s the opposite of fear mongering? 🤔

10 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Not sure what you're implying with your comment. Care to explain?

21 minutes ago, Subliminal said:

Comfort mongering?

21 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The other drug is azithromycine, a common antibiotic.

Important note as this information has been circulating like wildfire: Those two drugs have major side effects when taken at the same time, so as GameOn says they may be used for very serious covid cases (if confirmed to be effective), but nobody should take them unless prescribed by a doctor. 

In plain English that means higher risk of a heart attack. So not good unless you're already at high risk of dying.

In a hospital setting with 24/7 monitoring of your heart rhythm this risk can be acceptable so this could be definitely useful to lower the current death rates, especially for patients without access to ventilators.

Azithromycin, commonly in the form of roxithromycin is used to treat bacterial respiratory infections or atypical pneumonia caused by organisms such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae. It has no antiviral action.

It maybe of use in treating secondary bacterial pneumonia from viral respiratory illness such as influenzae, but one should be very sceptical it having efficacy in the treatment of primary coronavirus infection.

A lot of medical misinformation is circulated on the net and in social media. Recently, here, there were people madly rushing out and bulk buying Ventolin because of their belief that it woul prevent coronavirus infection and mortality, leaving desperately depleted stock for the people who actually needed it such as asthma sufferers. There is no evidence this usage has any success.

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Azithromycin, commonly in the form of roxithromycin is used to treat bacterial respiratory infections or atypical pneumonia caused by organisms such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae. It has no antiviral action.

It maybe of use in treating secondary bacterial pneumonia from viral respiratory illness such as influenzae, but one should be very sceptical it having efficacy in the treatment of primary coronavirus infection.

A lot of medical misinformation is circulated on the net and in social media. Recently, here, there were people madly rushing out and bulk buying Ventolin because of their belief that it woul prevent coronavirus infection and mortality, leaving desperately depleted stock for the people who actually needed it such as asthma sufferers. There is no evidence this usage has any success.

It's probably the hydroxychloroquine that's effective in that study combining azithro and plaquenil (trade name, easier to type). I don't think the azithro does anything. Chinese and Europeans already quite heavily using the old malaria drugs, probably is a reasonable treatment. Remdesivir is the other medication that might be effective in really sick patients.

Shelby County numbers are way low compared to true cases because they're not testing and +/- may not have all access to private lab results.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:06 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

From state of TN website that is updated more than daily:

There have been 694 people tested by TN Public Health Labs, with 52 of 694 turning up positive.

There have also been a reported 319 confirmed cases (tested by private labs), totaling 371 cases.

Davidson County (Nashville) has 140 of those.  Williamson County (Brentwood/Franklin, near Nashville) has 47. Shelby (Memphis) has 40. I think Memphis was just at 4 a couple days ago, but I'm writing this out to help my memory, because 4 to 40 is quite a jump.  The only other double digit county is Sumner at 11 (also near Nashville).

(Website also has "Out of TN" at 59 - not sure if that is non-TN residents that were found to be a confirmed case at a TN health clinic or what).

Monday update:

On Sunday, Shelby County was at 60 or 66.   Shelby county (Memphis) is now at 93. Biggest jump of the counties since Saturday, more than doubling in reported new cases.

Other counties mentioned/quoted  above:

Davidson County (Nashville) has 164.  Williamson County (Brentwood/Franklin, near Nashville) has 53.

Sumner is at 34. Entering the double digit counties: Knox and Hamilton (Chattanooga) at 12, 

Out of TN - 89.

I'm concerned that Memphis is about to show some big time COVID-19 numbers. Hope I'm wrong.

When is the Tennessee state government going to issue a shelter in place order?  If they don't act soon this could get way out of hand in the state.  At this rate of spread Shelby County would be at or over 15,000 cases in two weeks.  

Regarding Raoult, his experience seems promising but  have been conduct with only few people, so it  seems difficult to go fast with this.

Raoult is a controversed professor in France. He is brillant but a bit outside the system, that is probably another reason why he do not have a lot of support from some of his collegues. But he is very clever and know well about virus.  I suspect also some lobbies  trying to block him as this medicine is a cheap one and do not generate a lot of profit for big pharmatical companies....hopefully it works and can save a lot of lifes. Stay safe and Go Grizz !!!

34 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Regarding Raoult, his experience seems promising but  have been conduct with only few people, so it  seems difficult to go fast with this.

Raoult is a controversed professor in France. He is brillant but a bit outside the system, that is probably another reason why he do not have a lot of support from some of his collegues. But he is very clever and know well about virus.  I suspect also some lobbies  trying to block him as this medicine is a cheap one and do not generate a lot of profit for big pharmatical companies....hopefully it works and can save a lot of lifes. Stay safe and Go Grizz !!!

I think 26 people participated in that study. 1 died, 3 or 4 couldn't tolerate the medicines and another just left the hospital leaving only 20 people in the study. I think the results were rushed out to give people hope. As others mentioned, taking those drugs together can have deadly site effects. People who have short QT intervals (or maybe long) are dangerously affected by these drugs. I heard some doctors discussing this saying these are not drugs that can be mass distributed out to everybody because some people will have serious, dangerous side effects, not to mention, they aren't sure that the drugs even work because they didn't think the study was longe nough or had enough people. 

OAN, Arizona man dies after self medicating with this stuff.

39 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think 26 people participated in that study. 1 died, 3 or 4 couldn't tolerate the medicines and another just left the hospital leaving only 20 people in the study. I think the results were rushed out to give people hope. As others mentioned, taking those drugs together can have deadly site effects. People who have short QT intervals (or maybe long) are dangerously affected by these drugs. I heard some doctors discussing this saying these are not drugs that can be mass distributed out to everybody because some people will have serious, dangerous side effects, not to mention, they aren't sure that the drugs even work because they didn't think the study was longe nough or had enough people. 

OAN, Arizona man dies after self medicating with this stuff.

Exactly, Raoult himself admit the tested them on 26 people and get good result on 20. But he tested on normal case, not severe one. And if we consider what several specialist say (80% of the people infected get only minor issue) without big treatment, then for sure his study is not something we can totally rely on. But this is one of the solution we have to explore with others...i think in this situation, we have to be pragmatic before everything else...

On 3/22/2020 at 4:53 PM, GameOn said:

Not sure what you're implying with your comment. Care to explain?

Fear “mongering” is like stoking or spreading fear. Your post seemed like the opposite. Like “hope mongering” perhaps. Not trying to make a dig at you, it just implies that the hope may be unfounded. Like hope propaganda or something. That being said, I hope things turn out ok. This is a new experience to pretty much any generation still alive

The President wants to go back to semi-business-as-usual where possible. So do the rest of us --- if we had a time machine and could go back and prepare the US for the required testing.

In about a week he will decide.

I am guessing (seriously) that the number of infections and deaths will weigh on his decision.

The stats have been starved from the beginning. Will reporting of test results be more representative of reality in a week?

The President seems to be making decisions based on testing starved data so I'll follow his lead.

I believe that negative test results come back in a couple days while positives take a week or more.

Reported stats are really bad.