Elillo

Grizzlies sign Jontay Porter

46 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Herrington mentioned that in essence, this might be a way to sign him into a future 2-way deal with a little bonus money early.

Also he thought Konchar could be on main roster next year.

Hmm that's interesting and id definitely prefer giving the spot to Konchar and switching Porter to 2way.   I like Konchar's no nonsense game.  He and Tyus are a good counterbalance to the wilder playmaking/passing from Ja Josh and Melton.  

Porter was going to be playing alot for the Hustle anyway.   Better for him to be on the 2way and save the roster spot for call up later on. 

Just now, Dwash said:

For starting full time players like a Rudy Gay, yes redundancy of too many shot takers or playmakers and not enough spacers is a good topic. For bench players, no.  Bench players just need to be guys who come in, can fit it and give quality minutes. The perimeter players off a bench dont have to be knock down shooters. Just guys who can make a respectable amount of open shots and can contribute when called upon. Konchar can do that. 

I don't doubt that he can, I'm just saying its already a struggle finding everyone minutes and we're down 3 guys. So when they comeback where do you find minutes for the spacer? Is Konchar cheaper than Melton? If so how much, if you can get a cheaper player with the same production or skillset why not save money to hopefully sign other guys?

Another thing to note: Jontay is the youngest player on the team now.

If he turns out how he was suppose to turn out this is a homerun. This is pretty much our 2020 first round pick.

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This could also be a reaction to how terrible this draft is.   Grabbing a 20y Big now that needs development kinda tells me they aren't looking at Bigs in the draft.  

There aren’t any bigs that look better than Jaren or Clarke.  Wiseman looks like a classic big man from the 60’s to early 90’s.  

If Jontay is a guy we have been looking at for awhile then good for them for giving it a shot.  

A four big man rotation of Jonas, Jaren, Clarke, and Jontay would give us some of everything.  I think big man passing would really help unlock our offense.  

The draft doesn’t look good or bad. It looks tricky.  Although it is deep with point guards and combo guards and we already have Ja.  No reason to draft worse guys than what we have now.  

Maybe we didn’t like the big men in the 40ish range: what is it, Xavier Tillman? Mamadi Diakite? John Fullerkerson?  Although Amar Sylla and Borisa Simanic have cool highlights.  N’faly Dante might be a good trade down target.  

Lucky for us, this draft has a decent amount of combo wings and combo forwards who might fit the bill.  

I even think that 1-45 might be flat in terms of talent.  Tier 1.5/Tier 2.5 guys.  More upside in the right roll.  High bust potential in the wrong system.  For big point guards would I go LaMelo Ball or Tyrese Haliburton? Maybe I keep trading down and convince Antwann Jones to declare for the draft.  Better size, better defense, better athleticism.  Good highlights too.  

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Hmm that's interesting and id definitely prefer giving the spot to Konchar and switching Porter to 2way.   I like Konchar's no nonsense game.  He and Tyus are a good counterbalance to the wilder playmaking/passing from Ja Josh and Melton.  

Porter was going to be playing alot for the Hustle anyway.   Better for him to be on the 2way and save the roster spot for call up later on. 

Porter wont be ready for Summer League will he?

Having Konchar is perfect because he'd great insurance if either Melton or Josh leave in free agency. I'd prefer to keep those two, but Konchar is definitely a solid piece as well. We'll have Grayson back next year as well to be fair. 

14 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Its very possible he will be.   Them getting him in now allows him to work with their training staff and gets him familiar with the system.  If he sticks to the regiment no reason to believe he won't. 

18 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Wiseman looks like a classic big man from the 60’s to early 90’s.  

Wait ... whut?

Wiseman plays like a tall point guard with range from the three point line straight to finishing at the rim. Nice footwork and super quick.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, dy_dy_dynomite said:

How many of us been on this page for 10 years or more?

👋

7 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Why do we care about Wiseman? is he going to drop to 40ish?...we are not getting Wiseman period.

Because we are from Memphis where he played college (however short it was)

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Wait ... whut?

Wiseman plays like a tall point guard with range from the three point line straight to finishing at the rim. Nice footwork and super quick.

i Was gonna say shaq with a jumper but whatever

19 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Having Konchar is perfect because he'd great insurance if either Melton or Josh leave in free agency. I'd prefer to keep those two, but Konchar is definitely a solid piece as well. We'll have Grayson back next year as well to be fair. 

Grayson Allen has played 68 total NBA games his first two years.  Even young Chandler Parsons scoffs at those numbers.

He's a cheap contract with good potential and should be kept around, but roster spots shouldn't be determined based on Allen being available.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Dwash said:

Dont know whats up with yall and all this redundancy talk when it comes to guys who know how to play. They always fit in. 

it's a legit problem when you have justise, dillon, DA, grayson, josh, and john when only 2 of these guys are volume 3 pt shooters at a good %clip.  josh, DA, and konchar are all redudant.  justise's game is also like josh but much more proven with a good 3 pt% last year.  grayson is probably the best shooter (and possibly the best overall athlete) out of all of them but along with konchar the worst defender.  something's gotta give and they need to be consolidated.  if they can swing a trade for a great shooter in the summer, then grayson could become redundant/expendable, otherwise melton, josh, and konchar are overkill.  not to mention that marko is still on the team as well.

17 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Its very possible he will be.   Them getting him in now allows him to work with their training staff and gets him familiar with the system.  If he sticks to the regiment no reason to believe he won't. 

Thats some good news!

dont much care how he pans out , this is an awesome pickup imo and he's 100% worth a look  , pretty highly skilled and talented reallly liked him before the injuries and stuff started adding up . with luck on his side he could have been a top big to get drafted .

he's in the mold of a Frye , olynyk  or even kyle anderson .

he's a guy with High IQ can pass the ball and move without the ball , passable on D  but unless he's put in the work in the gym and becomes a better athlete he's not really switchable , he's an ok help defender , he's also going to have to hustle on the court more than he did in college . he has great form on his shot so he should be stretchy 

On 3/9/2020 at 6:24 PM, grizzgolf said:

I wonder what the summer league plans will be.  Unless they cancel the season, they have to move everything back.