Elillo

Grizzlies sign Jontay Porter

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Fixed it for you.

Tolliver was picked up on a 10 day contract as a fill in for our injured players, I'm not sure they bring him back next season.

Dieng is on contract through 2021. So at the end of 2021 they will be deciding between Dieng and Porter, not Tolliver and Porter. If they can get the same production from Porter at a steep discount off of the 17-18 mil they are paying Dieng then this will have been a brilliant move.

I like what Jontay could potentially bring on paper but Deing will definitely help in rebounding and defense. I know he's not long term but he's a solid contributor at the moment. Let's see how this plays out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, oldmanGrizz said:

No need for me to question this FO until they give me reason to do so.

Yep this is my attitude too. 

5 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

He seems like a stretch big with s good IQ. Good 3 point stroke, good passer, decent midrange Tolivers replacement for sure, stay healthy and be ready to run and you're good 

Edmiston made a couple of points this morning on his show in regards to this.    He said Jontay is basically 6'10 True PF/C version of Kyle Anderson that is a better shooter and more athletic(low bar).   Mix of Al Horford Marc Gasol type.    Sounds like he is really worth a look in spite of injuries. 

Tolliver is definitely a goner after this season.   What if picking up Jontay makes Kyle expendable (IF he is healthy).    If we can bring back Josh and Justise pans out then Kyle really has no spot in main rotation.  As we clearly see he is really only effective in Taylor system as a PF.   When Jaren and Brandon come back there will be no minutes for him.  

If Porter pans out then i bet Kyle gets traded next season.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could also be a reaction to how terrible this draft is.   Grabbing a 20y Big now that needs development kinda tells me they aren't looking at Bigs in the draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dy_dy_dynomite said:

How many of us been on this page for 10 years or more?

I lurked for a few years first  but I’ve been posting since 2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

This could also be a reaction to how terrible this draft is.   Grabbing a 20y Big now that needs development kinda tells me they aren't looking at Bigs in the draft.  

I gotta give it to them. They really have a out-the-box mentality when it comes to team building. To the point where some moves your initial reaction is WTH, then slowly turns to "that was smart!"

No obtainable attractive free agents this summer? That's ok, they swing a trade for a guy that's on a reasonable 2 year remaining deal after this year and a legit backup center. Keeps future flexibility. Takes care of free agency before the season even ends for the most part outside of retaining our guys.

We out perform expectations and lose our first round pick this year? That's fine, we get a guy on a cheap "let me see" deal that most definitely would have been a lottery pick in this year's draft if he had stayed in college one more year and was healthy. And its a win for Jontay because he gets a NBA level training staff for 6 months for rehab and training while also getting integrated with the team.

"In Klein We Trust"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep this is my attitude too. 

Edmiston made a couple of points this morning on his show in regards to this.    He said Jontay is basically 6'10 True PF/C version of Kyle Anderson that is a better shooter and more athletic(low bar).   Mix of Al Horford Marc Gasol type.    Sounds like he is really worth a look in spite of injuries. 

Tolliver is definitely a goner after this season.   What if picking up Jontay makes Kyle expendable (IF he is healthy).    If we can bring back Josh and Justise pans out then Kyle really has no spot in main rotation.  As we clearly see he is really only effective in Taylor system as a PF.   When Jaren and Brandon come back there will be no minutes for him.  

If Porter pans out then i bet Kyle gets traded next season.  

 

I think so too, I like Kyle,  but his fit is just so off. Then again he may be hard to move and we may need him for health insurance due to so many injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, grizzdafuture said:

I gotta give it to them. They really have a out-the-box mentality when it comes to team building. To the point where some moves your initial reaction is WTH, then slowly turns to "that was smart!"

No obtainable attractive free agents this summer? That's ok, they swing a trade for a guy that's on a reasonable 2 year remaining deal after this year and a legit backup center. Keeps future flexibility. Takes care of free agency before the season even ends for the most part outside of retaining our guys.

We out perform expectations and lose our first round pick this year? That's fine, we get a guy on a cheap "let me see" deal that most definitely would have been a lottery pick in this year's draft if he had stayed in college one more year and was healthy. And its a win for Jontay because he gets a NBA level training staff for 6 months for rehab and training while also getting integrated with the team.

"In Klein We Trust"

Man a whole camp with everyone healthy, that's scary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets just make sure were on the same page....were in a rebuild, this year has gone exceptionally well, but we have drafts to build our depth, and FA signings...JJJ and JA will attract some interest to be part of this core going forward...  we don't need to get it all done this year...but yes i like the FO being active

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

I think so too, I like Kyle,  but his fit is just so off. Then again he may be hard to move and we may need him for health insurance due to so many injuries. 

Yea i think he would need a "sweetener" to move and we do have multiple picks going forward.   

5 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Man a whole camp with everyone healthy, that's scary!

Absolutely terrifying.     Imagine next season iwe are able to bring back Josh and Melton.   That gives us Dillon/Justise backed up by Melton/Josh.    That rotation will give opposing wings fits!   Opponents will not be able to catch a breather from the relentless defensive intensity we can throw at them.  

Not to mention the Bigs trying to keep up with Jaren and BC ( who are monsters defensively) AND getting beat up by Jonas.    Tyus and Ja will be feasting on assists. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

lets just make sure were on the same page....were in a rebuild, this year has gone exceptionally well, but we have drafts to build our depth, and FA signings...JJJ and JA will attract some interest to be part of this core going forward...  we don't need to get it all done this year...but yes i like the FO being active

I like it.  Why not go ahead and do all the heavy lifting now?   Give these guys more time to gain chemistry with each other by getting them in early.    Giving a bunch of talented youthful players more time to get in sync with each other is a good strategy towards championship.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea i think he would need a "sweetener" to move and we do have multiple picks going forward.   

Absolutely terrifying.     Imagine next season iwe are able to bring back Josh and Melton.   That gives us Dillon/Justise backed up by Melton/Josh.    That rotation will give opposing wings fits!   Opponents will not be able to catch a breather from the relentless defensive intensity we can throw at them.  

Not to mention the Bigs trying to keep up with Jaren and BC ( who are monsters defensively) AND getting beat up by Jonas.    Tyus and Ja will be feasting on assists. 

 

If Porter is healthy he can be a nice addition to the team as well. Gives us versatility at the 4 and 5. We have a 3 and big in JJJ and Deing to an extent,  a bruiser in JV, a workhorse high energy guy in Clarke. Four Bulldogs on the wings from the 2 and 3 spot. A magician in Ja and a smooth operator in Tyus. All we really need is to find a sharpshooter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, toocoolkellz said:

If Porter is healthy he can be a nice addition to the team as well. Gives us versatility at the 4 and 5. We have a 3 and big in JJJ and Deing to an extent,  a bruiser in JV, a workhorse high energy guy in Clarke. Four Bulldogs on the wings from the 2 and 3 spot. A magician in Ja and a smooth operator in Tyus. All we really need is to find a sharpshooter. 

I like BC a lot, as a 6th man...I dont see him as a workhorse high energy guy, just a really good, dependable smart player...and valuable to this core group.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lugan Village said:

I like BC a lot, as a 6th man...I dont see him as a workhorse high energy guy, just a really good, dependable smart player...and valuable to this core group.

 

Oh absolutely, his bbiq is off the charts, and his athleticism is crazy. Workhorse is no knock,  I say that in a sense that he doesn't have a set skill but has a great affect due to his IQ and athleticism.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Oh absolutely, his bbiq is off the charts, and his athleticism is crazy. Workhorse is no knock,  I say that in a sense that he doesn't have a set skill but has a great affect due to his IQ and athleticism.  

yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herrington mentioned that in essence, this might be a way to sign him into a future 2-way deal with a little bonus money early.

Also he thought Konchar could be on main roster next year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Herrington mentioned that in essence, this might be a way to sign him into a future 2-way deal with a little bonus money early.

Also he thought Konchar could be on main roster next year.

 

See Konchar on the roster for sure next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

See Konchar on the roster for sure next year. 

 

10 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Herrington mentioned that in essence, this might be a way to sign him into a future 2-way deal with a little bonus money early.

Also he thought Konchar could be on main roster next year.

 

Does Konchar make Melton redundant,  or is he Josh's replacement if he bolts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Herrington mentioned that in essence, this might be a way to sign him into a future 2-way deal with a little bonus money early.

Also he thought Konchar could be on main roster next year.

 

Smart - from what I understand, the Hustle roster is attractive b/c some of the players are almost guaranteed call-ups which means a little more dough than the standard G League contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plop Plop Griz Griz said:

I did a quick video about what Porter could bring to the team...background, strengths, weaknesses, Grizz plans for him, etc.

 

Nice video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

 

Does Konchar make Melton redundant,  or is he Josh's replacement if he bolts? 

Dont know whats up with yall and all this redundancy talk when it comes to guys who know how to play. They always fit in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Dont know whats up with yall and all this redundancy talk when it comes to guys who know how to play. They always fit in. 

But we have a need that'll have to be addressed. We need spacing, but we're already looking at minutes issues due to having too many quality players. If we have a guy similar to another but on a cheaper contract, or more easily obtainable then you have to consider those type of things. Singing one player over the other will have a ripple effect. Rudy Gay comes to mind off the top of my head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

But we have a need that'll have to be addressed. We need spacing, but we're already looking at minutes issues due to having too many quality players. If we have a guy similar to another but on a cheaper contract, or more easily obtainable then you have to consider those type of things. Singing one player over the other will have a ripple effect. Rudy Gay comes to mind off the top of my head

For starting full time players like a Rudy Gay, yes redundancy of too many shot takers or playmakers and not enough spacers is a good topic. For bench players, no.  Bench players just need to be guys who come in, can fit it and give quality minutes. The perimeter players off a bench dont have to be knock down shooters. Just guys who can make a respectable amount of open shots and can contribute when called upon. Konchar can do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now