GrizzTigerFan

Jarrod Uthoff 10 day - can he shoot??

15 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Does this mean Dusty is gone?

It means he had a better chance of lasting if his name was Justy.

Let's welcome Jarrod.

45 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I just need to know if he can shoot or at least not scared to shoot?   Anybody watch Hustle games - what should i expect?

He's been a decent shooter and rebounder in the G League, for what it's worth.

29 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

He's been a decent shooter and rebounder in the G League, for what it's worth.

Cool.  I don't care if he can't defend.   As long as he isn't scared to shoot when open.    Ja needs space to operate and nobody but Tyus and Dillon can offer that. 

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Cool.  I don't care if he can't defend.   As long as he isn't scared to shoot when open.    Ja needs space to operate and nobody but Tyus and Dillon can offer that. 

Well, Yuta wasn't scared to shoot in the G League, so we'll have to wait and see how Uthoff does.

9 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

Well, Yuta wasn't scared to shoot in the G League, so we'll have to wait and see how Uthoff does.

Oh man don't remind me.   Yuta looks like he'd rather jam a pencil into his eye than take a jumpshot! 

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2020/2/27/21156242/grizzlies-to-sign-jarrod-uthoff-to-10-day-contract-per-shams-nba-news-memphis

Uthoff has averaged a double-double for the Hustle this season with 18.9 points per game to go along with 10.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists. Uthoff is a floor spacing big man who has shot over 36% from beyond the arc on the season on decent volume. Uthoff is also a sneaky good defender, averaging 1.4 steals and 1.1 blocks per game. It will be interesting to see how Uthoff handles the bigger bodies in the NBA but he at least figures to be solid offensive depth and should allow the Grizzlies to better space the floor with their other big men not being great three-point shooters.

QUICK!!! Somebody find some more slow guys who can't shoot to put next to Uthoff so we can keep killing spacing!

All right.  Looks like Ja just picked up a rec league guy.  Only needs THREE MORE and I think we can right this ship!

Uthoff can definitely shoot with 3 pt range, at least in the G-League. More of a traditional power forward. Not very agile but can score down low with hooks and post fade-aways. Whether or not Jenkins gives him that green light or forces him to support the other guys will affect his effectiveness. Like Yuta, who's a go to scorer for the Hustle but is relegated to a much smaller role whenever he's on the floor for the Grizzlies.

Oh great. GTF has a new scrub to love and complain about his lack of minutes...until they do actually play and he immediately decides he hates him and the team was stupid to play him.

He's a G League stud for the Hustle this season. Should be interesting to see if he gets in during the Kings game near the end depending on the score 

Flaming Hot Take*******

Uthoff is a Stretch 4, correct?   IF he can show that he is not a disaster on defense and actually hit a couple of 3s.   Then i want to sign him for rest of season.        Ja and Jonas need spacing like a whale needs water.    Kings have superior spacing for Fox with Barnes, Buddy, Bogdon surrounding Giles.    We saw how HOU creates spacing for Westbrook.   Bottomline we need more guys in rotation that are willing and respected shooters. 

Otherwise we are doomed till Jaren comes back.   Because the scouting report is out on Grizz and unironically its the exact same Scouting report from 2013.       "Clog the paint and make them beat you from the outside".       Kyle's role needs to be minimized as much as possible ASAP.    He def should no longer be starting.    He is getting full Tony Allen treatment on offense but he doesn't have nearly the amount of impact defensively to offset it.  

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Flaming Hot Take*******

Uthoff is a Stretch 4, correct?   IF he can show that he is not a disaster on defense and actually hit a couple of 3s.   Then i want to sign him for rest of season.        Ja and Jonas need spacing like a whale needs water.    Kings have superior spacing for Fox with Barnes, Buddy, Bogdon surrounding Giles.    We saw how HOU creates spacing for Westbrook.   Bottomline we need more guys in rotation that are willing and respected shooters. 

Otherwise we are doomed till Jaren comes back.   Because the scouting report is out on Grizz and unironically its the exact same Scouting report from 2013.       "Clog the paint and make them beat you from the outside".       Kyle's role needs to be minimized as much as possible ASAP.    He def should no longer be starting.    He is getting full Tony Allen treatment on offense but he doesn't have nearly the amount of impact defensively to offset it.  

If we are playing for the future, Kyle Anderson needs to start getting more comfortable shooting the corner 3, which I don't think he has been since his shoulder surgery.  He does a lot of things pretty well and he's going to be playing.  He is given the open 3 like Tony, but they aren't really the same player.  Kyle is a better rebounder and distributor of the ball.

Right now, he needs to be playing that Brandon Clarke role, because after Jonas and Dieng, he's the next best rebounder.

I don't care who starts, but he's not great to put out there with Jonas and Ja, so that's probably why he ran with the 2nd unit when the team was being successful.  The team just doesn't have a lot of great shooters right now.

And unfortunately, Justise Winslow doesn't shoot 3s much differently than Kyle Anderson, and now between Clarke, JV, Kyle and Winslow, there are a bunch of non shooters that will be eating up minutes playing with JJJ and Ja.

Dusty never really got a chance in the big show. He appeared to be able to shoot threes. What was his weakness? 

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

If we are playing for the future, Kyle Anderson needs to start getting more comfortable shooting the corner 3, which I don't think he has been since his shoulder surgery.  He does a lot of things pretty well and he's going to be playing.  He is given the open 3 like Tony, but they aren't really the same player.  Kyle is a better rebounder and distributor of the ball.

Right now, he needs to be playing that Brandon Clarke role, because after Jonas and Dieng, he's the next best rebounder.

I don't care who starts, but he's not great to put out there with Jonas and Ja, so that's probably why he ran with the 2nd unit when the team was being successful.  The team just doesn't have a lot of great shooters right now.

And unfortunately, Justise Winslow doesn't shoot 3s much differently than Kyle Anderson, and now between Clarke, JV, Kyle and Winslow, there are a bunch of non shooters that will be eating up minutes playing with JJJ and Ja.

Yep Kyle and Tony aint same player because Tony is better for offense and defense.  His offensive rating was never as bad as Kyles.  That's because Tony was an awesome cutter and his defense was more tangibly elite.   Kyle isn't a better rebounder over Tony but he is a much better playmaker.   Plus Tony can play fast paced.  

Kyle can shoot 100 3pts and still won't affect spacing positively.    Problem isn't just his lack of shooting - its the fact that defenses don't respect him.      Just like Tony.      Kyles wind up is so freaking slow that they can easily recover whenever he does decide to shoot.        That's why playing him at SF is boderline malpractice.     Wings can easily recover if they want to whenever he is taking his slow jumpshot.       BIgger PFs and Cs are less likely to recover that quickly but it doesn't matter cuz he won't shoot or hit them anyway.   I agree the only position he should play on this roster is as PF.  

Winslow was actually a good standstill 3pt shooter last 2 yrs (around .38%).   Plus his release isn't as slow and he will take them if open.     Josh and Melton also get more respect than Kyle too because they will actually launch it.     Right now Tyus + Josh + Dillon + Melton need to be only wings around Ja for next couple of weeks.  

Send a lil prayer out to Grasyson because i am sure he is fuming he can't play right now.   Dude would be getting 35mpg if he was available.  

12 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Chip, who should we start at center, Uthoff or Jordan Bell?😁

Jonas or Dieng. 

17 hours ago, RedeemTeam said:

Like Yuta, who's a go to scorer for the Hustle but is relegated to a much smaller role whenever he's on the floor for the Grizzlies.

Thank you ... thank you very much!

Yuta can’t call his own number like he could in the g league ... he’s doing exact what coach has told him to do.

3 hours ago, TimBC said:

Dusty never really got a chance in the big show. He appeared to be able to shoot threes. What was his weakness? 

I'm guessing his Defense. I like Dusty. I think hes a decent shooter. 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep Kyle and Tony aint same player because Tony is better for offense and defense.  His offensive rating was never as bad as Kyles.  That's because Tony was an awesome cutter and his defense was more tangibly elite.   Kyle isn't a better rebounder over Tony but he is a much better playmaker.   Plus Tony can play fast paced.  

Kyle can shoot 100 3pts and still won't affect spacing positively.    Problem isn't just his lack of shooting - its the fact that defenses don't respect him.      Just like Tony.      Kyles wind up is so freaking slow that they can easily recover whenever he does decide to shoot.        That's why playing him at SF is boderline malpractice.     Wings can easily recover if they want to whenever he is taking his slow jumpshot.       BIgger PFs and Cs are less likely to recover that quickly but it doesn't matter cuz he won't shoot or hit them anyway.   I agree the only position he should play on this roster is as PF.  

Winslow was actually a good standstill 3pt shooter last 2 yrs (around .38%).   Plus his release isn't as slow and he will take them if open.     Josh and Melton also get more respect than Kyle too because they will actually launch it.     Right now Tyus + Josh + Dillon + Melton need to be only wings around Ja for next couple of weeks.  

Send a lil prayer out to Grasyson because i am sure he is fuming he can't play right now.   Dude would be getting 35mpg if he was available.  

Kyle shot 38% from 3 as a Spur his 3rd year, and 32 and 34% the years around that. 

He has to develop confidence from 3 in order to get teams to respect him because he does create open shots for others once he gets into the lane.  Once he gets confidence again, he can be a catch and shoot.

Now, I don't know if he ever will get to that stage, and I was hoping Tony would have because it would have extended his career and value, but he didn't.  I want to see Kyle this year because if he doesn't, his usefulness is extremely limited.  He needs to develop that shot like Giannis did, not like Ben Simmons hasn't.