Lugan Village

Disappointment in JV Play

To be clear, I think overall this season JV has played very well and fit into a lead rebounding role, and secondary scoring inside...and he sticks his nose and frame when setting picks.  But leading up to the All Star game and since, he is not playing good ball.  At first I thought he was hurt and playing through a foot injury or sore knee.  But his confidence and touch inside 10 feet is gone, his hands are more stone than typical, he is lacking aggressiveness on the the boards, and i don't seem him "visably on the floor" stepping up in leadership as a veteran.  I expect more from JV with JJJ and BC out.  And I call it like i see it.  Maybe/I hope it's just a bad run and he will work it out.  Maybe he needs to sit a couple of games to relight the fire.  Something is just not right with hem.

The sudden lack of competent outside shooting has allowed defenders to play one step closer to JV in the low block. That one step makes a huge difference in immediately getting swarmed whenever he gets the ball.   

He isnt more than a one or two dribble post player and he cant have anyone reaching in from the weak side. He must have spacing and deep position when he catches. 

Its not just JV. Our entire team, Ja included is playing crappy right now. DB is trash right now. Melton is giving us effort but we need him at 10-12ppg atleast while JJJ is out. Our most consistent players right now are Big G and Josh. However, I think we will pull it together on Friday back at home. Just tough for a young team to start post all star break on their toughest trip of the season down 3 of their top 4 players. BUT STILL....lol

18 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He isnt more than a one or two dribble post player and he cant have anyone reaching in from the weak side. He must have spacing and deep position when he catches. 

This, he is other guy that is on a slump, because we lost our spacing. Jae and Solo leaving and guys like Jaren and Dillon going back to their normal % from 3 take Ja and JV space to work on the paint.

The starting lineup is flawed. In the three games since the break, the team has started slow and faced double digit deficits in the 1st qtr. I think the issue is two fold:
      -threes have stopped falling (regressing back to the mean) so
    - defenses are packing the paint taking away driving lanes.

So the offense isn’t clicking, and since this is the analytics NBA, the post game is almost non-existent. And, since this is the age of analytics, the team can’t rely on D to stop the other team from scoring 35-40 pts a qtr.

They need someone in the starting lineup that can space the floor. Josh Jackson, Konchar, Yuta, anybody. The starting lineup can’t rely on Ja drives for primary scoring because he will get slaughtered and on the injury list in a week. The last thing this team needs now is an injured Ja.

I hope clark and JJJ don’t muss too much time, and please insert Josh Jackson in the starting lineup, and sit Kyle Anderson.

18 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Scoot over... I'm sitting by you.

This is not a critique of JV at all... its more him knowing where he needs to be when he catches it ( no more than two dribbles) and catch it high - keep it high. No pump faking.

I love the way he bullies his way toward the rim - and ones count as 3 points too.

I am not as confdident when he shoots a fade-away. I have seen him get hot and hit a few 3s ... but still prefer him one foot in the paint.

I have also noticed (definitely mentionedit before) that Ja seems to automatically look to get the big guy a few quick easy ones. 

When it works - its nice. When its not working - Dillon time.

Lately it's been NOT working.

33 minutes ago, UofMark said:

The sudden lack of competent outside shooting has allowed defenders to play one step closer to JV in the low block. That one step makes a huge difference in immediately getting swarmed whenever he gets the ball.   

+100

28 minutes ago, Dwash said:

+1000 Bingo!

Its no different than when Zbo was here and even more important In today's.       

19 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:
The starting lineup is flawed. In the three games since the break, the team has started slow and faced double digit deficits in the 1st qtr. I think the issue is two fold:
      -threes have stopped falling (regressing back to the mean) so
    - defenses are packing the paint taking away driving lanes.

So the offense isn’t clicking, and since this is the analytics NBA, the post game is almost non-existent. And, since this is the age of analytics, the team can’t rely on D to stop the other team from scoring 35-40 pts a qtr.

They need someone in the starting lineup that can space the floor. Josh Jackson, Konchar, Yuta, anybody. The starting lineup can’t rely on Ja drives for primary scoring because he will get slaughtered and on the injury list in a week. The last thing this team needs now is an injured Ja.

I hope clark and JJJ don’t muss too much time, and please insert Josh Jackson in the starting lineup, and sit Kyle Anderson.

+100 

What we need to recognize is that we have TWO paint players in the starting lineup already with Ja and Jonas.     Dillon Jae and Jaren where integral to their success because they would SHOOT 3s.         Swapping out Jae for Kyle is a huge downgrade for the offense and even before the slump the data backed that assertion up.       

Adding Kyle puts us at having THREE players that are paint oriented .    Heck Kyle is even more confusing than that because he really isn't a scorer from anywhere.       But when he does score its gonna mostly be around the basket in Ja and Jonas area.    So defenses don't respect him at all.   Yes its nice that Kyle is a pass first low usage guy but we need the 5th player in starting lineup to be either a finisher or spot up shooter for the offense to flow.   Not a guy that is hesitant/slow to shoot and mostly just passes up shots.     

Yea we need to slap Josh or Melton or anybody else in his place.   No basketball reason for Taylor to be so devoted to keeping this starting lineup in place. 

28 minutes ago, KyleB said:

When is Winslow expected to play?

Sometime in march is the guess

Speaking of floor spacing, Jae Crowder is making threes at nearly 50% taking over 7 a game in MIAMI!  Where was that shooting for MEM?!

47 minutes ago, Karas said:

Speaking of floor spacing, Jae Crowder is making threes at nearly 50% taking over 7 a game in MIAMI!  Where was that shooting for MEM?!

I saw his raw stats that flashed on the ESPN ticket.

I love the way their team is built.  Some of everything led by a high level star and Jimmy Butler.  Wings, bigs, shooters, and dunkers.  They don’t have a ton of positional overlap either.

I can see Miami cleaning up in one of the upcoming free agent classes.  

1 hour ago, Karas said:

He's going off that well?

On 2/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Ja_Rules said:

This, he is other guy that is on a slump, because we lost our spacing. Jae and Solo leaving and guys like Jaren and Dillon going back to their normal % from 3 take Ja and JV space to work on the paint.

This. Lots going wrong for the whole team. Jaren out for at least another week and a half. Now BC out for at least 2 weeks with a right quadriceps injury. Dillon's scoring has fallen off a cliff. Ja is in the doldrums (lack of spacing, maybe also he's somewhat hitting a rookie wall). Other guys, like Melton, Josh, Dieng, Marko, Bell, Konchar, must step up their game. I think Dillon has to be sent a message - bring him off the bench for now and let Josh take his place in the starting lineup. If we cannot open up the paint so that Ja and JV can get their points, then we are screwed.

21 hours ago, Karas said:

On the flipside of guys we’ve traded, Conley is now being moved out of the starting lineup in Utah. That deal looks better and better for this FO. 

9 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

On the flipside of guys we’ve traded, Conley is now being moved out of the starting lineup in Utah. That deal looks better and better for this FO. 

He is back starting but very mediocre. 

Is it time yet to start discussing if Mike was protected by the Grizzlies system instead of held back? 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Is it time yet to start discussing if Mike was protected by the Grizzlies system instead of held back? 

snyder's system in utah doesn't necessarily need a traditional PG although that's what rubio is.  the problem for conley is that he seems to be someone who has to dominate the ball to be effective, and snyder's offense is more about ball/body movement.  it's not like he sucks, but the grizzlies clearly won that trade.  outside of clarkson, allen is better than any guard on their bench.  crowder would've helped the culture/defense, korver would've provided more spacing, and they would've had picks.  they gave up waaaay to much just for mike.

53 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This is more recent than that - he's back to bench:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. But apparently he's now BACK to the starting line-up and it's Ingles going to bench. Regardless, Conley hasn't been what I imagine they were expecting.

27 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I dont think its necessarily he was protected but I have seen this with older players, especially on bad teams. Such as Gasol. If you are on a bad team, the opposition generally takes it light on you most nights and just beats you when they have to.  The best player benefits stastically because so many plays are run for them. Then that player gets shipped to another team that is played a little tougher on a nightly basis and that team isnt doing as much to keep the player in rhythm or get his shots in his comfort zone. 

Just now, ACGrizz said:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. But apparently he's now BACK to the starting line-up and it's Ingles going to bench. Regardless, Conley hasn't been what I imagine they were expecting.

Thats dumb, Ingles was terrible off the bench. 

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This is more recent than that - he's back to bench:

I think he makes around 30 million per year [thank you] chris Wallace , I don,t think he hurting to much