GrizzTigerFan

New Starting Lineup

New Starting Lineup  

31 members have voted

  1. 1. What should be the new starting lineup with Jaren out?

    • Ja + Dillon + Kyle + Brandon + Jonas
    • Ja + Melton + Dillon + Brandon + Jonas
    • Ja + Melton + Dillon + Kyle + Jonas
    • Ja + Dillon + Josh + Brandon + Jonas
    • Other


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

What I am thinking is that the Front Office is stacking the grizzlies lineup to matchup with the Lakers and their bigs in a first round playoff series.

And if JJJ gets in to foul trouble -  early, then Anthony Tolliver could maybe substitute for him.     And Josh be the prime on the second unit.

 

Yep I'd believe they are too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joey Crawford said:

You know what.... I forgot about Josh Jackson.    Of course, he would be before Yuta.    The problem I am having is choosing between Josh, a longer term prospect, and Anthony Tolliver who apparently can shoot - and from a distance on my computer screen in game play looks like a twin to Dieng.

Dieng        

Brandon/Slomo

Josh Jackson/Anthony Tolliver/Yuta

Tyus/Grayson

Anthony Melton/Konchar/Marko

 

I agree Marko is weakest of the group...   so maybe.

Dieng        

Brandon/Slomo

Anthony Tolliver/Yuta

Tyus/Grayson

Anthony Melton/Josh Jackson/Konchar

 

 

 

Grayson is done for the year so no reason to have him in rotation plans.   Marko and Yuta shouldn't see floor unless its a 25pt blowout. 

 Konchar and Melton are almost interchangeable to me now that Konchar is willing to shoot 3s.   Both are tough defensively and rebound at a high level from guard position.   Josh is a slight step above them due to his ability to create his own shot and superior size.    But all 3 of them are "Mr Do Somethings" and create chaos for opposing teams.   Pretty cool that all 3 of them are lob targets too. 

Tolliver should eat into Kyles minutes because only position SloMo should play from now on is PF.    Josh, doesn't need to play PF he is a wing so Tolliver should never eat into his minutes. 

When healthy we have enough pieces to make a Laker series semi-competitive as long as the refs don't job us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Grayson is done for the year so no reason to have him in rotation plans.   Marko and Yuta shouldn't see floor unless its a 25pt blowout. 

That makes sense.    I didn't know Grayson was done for the year.

 

So what about this...

Dieng

Brandon/Slomo, Yuta

Anthony Toliver/Josh Jackson

Tyus

Anthony Melton, Konchar,  Marko

 

Who is the third point guard option?

What about the idea of using Marko's fouls to quickly hack-a-Dwight when D.H. gets the ball down low?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

That makes sense.    I didn't know Grayson was done for the year.

 

So what about this...

Dieng

Brandon/Slomo, Yuta

Anthony Toliver/Josh Jackson

Tyus

Anthony Melton, Konchar,  Marko

 

Who is the third point guard option?

 

Tolliver should be penciled in at 3rd PF.  He has been playing PF/C for years now @ 6'8' 240lbs.   Basically just a Stretch 4.  

Josh and Melton are the backup Wings with Konchar as 3rd string PG.   He is the least TO prone of the 3. 

SloMo can be 3rd backup SF behind Josh.     He has the size to defend both Lebron and AD in spurts. 

 

Just erase Yuta and Marko from any playoff rotation scenarios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, grizzdafuture said:

At full strength and full energy, if we get these lineups right this 1/8 playoff matchup is gonna be fun to watch.

As long as Taylor understands that Kyle and Marko should be end of rotation players - we should be fine.   Everybody else fit Taylors system much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

As long as Taylor understands that Kyle and Marko should be end of rotation players - we should be fine.   Everybody else fit Taylors system much better. 

I really do wonder what makes coach scared to make moves like this. I'm sure he knows Kyle doesn't fit with this squad as great. I'm sure he sees like everyone else in the gym when Dillon goes on his spells of multiple missed layups and/or bad shots. When it comes to player development this should be easy fixes you would think. Its ok to sit a player when he doesn't have it going or doesn't quite fit. That has been my only knock on TJ all year. Other than that he has my support and approval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grizzdafuture said:

I really do wonder what makes coach scared to make moves like this. I'm sure he knows Kyle doesn't fit with this squad as great. I'm sure he sees like everyone else in the gym when Dillon goes on his spells of multiple missed layups and/or bad shots. When it comes to player development this should be easy fixes you would think. Its ok to sit a player when he doesn't have it going or doesn't quite fit. That has been my only knock on TJ all year. Other than that he has my support and approval.

It may be that coach is using Slomo when someone gets in foul trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, grizzdafuture said:

I really do wonder what makes coach scared to make moves like this. I'm sure he knows Kyle doesn't fit with this squad as great. I'm sure he sees like everyone else in the gym when Dillon goes on his spells of multiple missed layups and/or bad shots. When it comes to player development this should be easy fixes you would think. Its ok to sit a player when he doesn't have it going or doesn't quite fit. That has been my only knock on TJ all year. Other than that he has my support and approval.

I think it's hard to truly know when Dillon doesn't have it. Last game he missed his first five shots almost then hit several in a row, plus his defense is extremely valuable. Kyle isn't the ideal fit but he is a secondary ball handler and a good defender. Also a veteran presence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, grizzdafuture said:

I really do wonder what makes coach scared to make moves like this. I'm sure he knows Kyle doesn't fit with this squad as great. I'm sure he sees like everyone else in the gym when Dillon goes on his spells of multiple missed layups and/or bad shots. When it comes to player development this should be easy fixes you would think. Its ok to sit a player when he doesn't have it going or doesn't quite fit. That has been my only knock on TJ all year. Other than that he has my support and approval.

 

59 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

I think it's hard to truly know when Dillon doesn't have it. Last game he missed his first five shots almost then hit several in a row, plus his defense is extremely valuable. Kyle isn't the ideal fit but he is a secondary ball handler and a good defender. Also a veteran presence 

You have to live with Dillon’s ups and downs. He’s a key piece of making the offense go make or miss. And he’s the primary defender on the other teams best player. 
 

As far as Kyle goes, he’s a legit rotation player for a playoff team. Yeah he doesn’t fit but he deserves minutes if he’s on your roster. My biggest gripe isn’t if he’s playing but that he wasn’t moved at the deadline, because once Justice, JJJ and BC get back you are going to be forced to choose between him and Josh and if they don’t pick Josh I’m gonna be ******. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I think it's hard to truly know when Dillon doesn't have it. Last game he missed his first five shots almost then hit several in a row, plus his defense is extremely valuable. Kyle isn't the ideal fit but he is a secondary ball handler and a good defender. Also a veteran presence 

That's too logical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I think it's hard to truly know when Dillon doesn't have it. Last game he missed his first five shots almost then hit several in a row, plus his defense is extremely valuable. Kyle isn't the ideal fit but he is a secondary ball handler and a good defender. Also a veteran presence 

My issue is that he badly hurts floor spacing and we already have guys that can do secondary ball handling.    Because he is a starter he usually plays majority of his minutes alongside Ja and Jonas.  That is my problem.    They need spacing more than anybody but they are in the least spaced lineup.   However, moving Kyle to PF has alleviated it a little bit but ideally he should never play SF position again.   

DeAnthony Konchar and Josh are capable secondary ball handlers.   This isn't the GnG era this FO actually obtained multiple guys that can fill that role.   So i am not worried about losing Kyle for his defense or passing because that is already covered by better fitting players.    

Sure he is a NBA rotation player but he isn't a starter or necessary on our roster.    Backup PF is his best position if he stays in Memphis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

My issue is that he badly hurts floor spacing and we already have guys that can do secondary ball handling.    Because he is a starter he usually plays majority of his minutes alongside Ja and Jonas.  That is my problem.    They need spacing more than anybody but they are in the least spaced lineup.   However, moving Kyle to PF has alleviated it a little bit but ideally he should never play SF position again.   

DeAnthony Konchar and Josh are capable secondary ball handlers.   This isn't the GnG era this FO actually obtained multiple guys that can fill that role.   So i am not worried about losing Kyle for his defense or passing because that is already covered by better fitting players.    

Sure he is a NBA rotation player but he isn't a starter or necessary on our roster.    Backup PF is his best position if he stays in 

I'm 1000 % sure he's not the permanent answer for our starting sf. Of the three guys you named 2 are turnover prone and one has only played like 2 games. I don't disagree that Kyle isn't the best fit but with 2 key components out and 1 new guy who's likely to start out as well Kyle isn't a long term starting player. Currently in the situation we are in he's the best thing we got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dillon is a good defender. It’s not all about making shots 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I'm 1000 % sure he's not the permanent answer for our starting sf. Of the three guys you named 2 are turnover prone and one has only played like 2 games. I don't disagree that Kyle isn't the best fit but with 2 key components out and 1 new guy who's likely to start out as well Kyle isn't a long term starting player. Currently in the situation we are in he's the best thing we got. 

Great post.

I am pretty sure everyone is hoping that will be Justise Winslow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the guys we have now, if we want to max out spacing, then maybe we should look at Ja/Konchar/Dillon/Tolliver/Jonas.

Our second unit would be Tyus/Melton/Josh/Kyle/Dieng.  That lineup wouldn't score -- but neither would the other team's.

I like Konchar starting.  Good hustle, team play, smarts.  Good rebounder and he can also be a secondary ball handler.  The fact that he is taking a couple of 3's a game is a bonus.  

Dillon's shot jacking helps -- and hurts.  In the Mavs game I actually want him to concentrate on guarding Luka, having Luka chase him around the court, and then crash the boards.  

If we want to go faster with that second unit then bring Slo Mo in as the 6th man (he could fill in for any of those starting five players).  Slot in Yuta at the backup 4 to go along with the rest of our ALT GRIND bench mob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m loving tyus and ja getting minutes together. they are both highly intelligent on the court and have great chemistry together. 

 

slim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

I’m loving tyus and ja getting minutes together. they are both highly intelligent on the court and have great chemistry together. 

 

slim. 

My wife likes Josh because she thinks he has a funny expression on his face when he plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, memphis slim said:

I’m loving tyus and ja getting minutes together. they are both highly intelligent on the court and have great chemistry together. 

 

slim. 

I agree. They both play off each other well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 5:33 AM, toocoolkellz said:

I think it's hard to truly know when Dillon doesn't have it. Last game he missed his first five shots almost then hit several in a row, plus his defense is extremely valuable. Kyle isn't the ideal fit but he is a secondary ball handler and a good defender. Also a veteran presence 

 

I dont think its hard to see that usually if someone takes alot of shots at some point they will fall here and there (Harden, Westbrook, Lamarcus Aldridge etc.) My issue is that he is not the #1 or #2 guy when Jaren is healthy, and probably is the #4 guy when Justise returns. He should NOT be taking #1 guy amounts of shots especially when they are not good shots. Hope thats "lOgiCaL" enough. If he takes high percentage or open shots then I have no beef with him. I don't see how that's not understandable. I have watched or been to almost every game this year except for maybe 6 and alot of the close games we lost this year by 5 or less I have seen us come back from a deficit and Dillon checks in and kills the momentum with bad shots. I love his defense and energy, but all I'm saying is that he needs to be moved to 6th man or told to shape his game as a 3 and D guy and our team will be better for it. If we really want to go after a title at some point with him on this roster then it has to be addressed. If you look at the past 10 years of champions, I can't think of one player on those teams that was clearly a #3 or #4 option that took more shots than the #1 or #2 options OR took as many bonehead shots as Dillon takes. Its not winning basketball and yall know it.

 

On 3/4/2020 at 8:33 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

My issue is that he badly hurts floor spacing and we already have guys that can do secondary ball handling.    Because he is a starter he usually plays majority of his minutes alongside Ja and Jonas.  That is my problem.    They need spacing more than anybody but they are in the least spaced lineup.   However, moving Kyle to PF has alleviated it a little bit but ideally he should never play SF position again.   

DeAnthony Konchar and Josh are capable secondary ball handlers.   This isn't the GnG era this FO actually obtained multiple guys that can fill that role.   So i am not worried about losing Kyle for his defense or passing because that is already covered by better fitting players.    -Agreed.

Sure he is a NBA rotation player but he isn't a starter or necessary on our roster.    Backup PF is his best position if he stays in Memphis. 

As far as Kyle goes, if his only value is ball handling and defense then we have 3 to 4 guys that fit that mold that are better floor spacers than he is. Melton Tyus Grayson and Justise will suffice as far as backup ball handlers, and Melton, Josh, Grayson and Justise will suffice as defenders. Jaren and BC have the 4 spot sewed up and I would love a Tollier-esq type of stretch 4 to bring on next year just as insurance. So that kills the need for Kyle. I do think his Slo Mo Euro's come in the clutch. I just believe our offense is more fluid without him at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grizzdafuture said:

 

I dont think its hard to see that usually if someone takes alot of shots at some point they will fall here and there (Harden, Westbrook, Lamarcus Aldridge etc.) My issue is that he is not the #1 or #2 guy when Jaren is healthy, and probably is the #4 guy when Justise returns. He should NOT be taking #1 guy amounts of shots especially when they are not good shots. Hope thats "lOgiCaL" enough. If he takes high percentage or open shots then I have no beef with him. I don't see how that's not understandable. I have watched or been to almost every game this year except for maybe 6 and alot of the close games we lost this year by 5 or less I have seen us come back from a deficit and Dillon checks in and kills the momentum with bad shots. I love his defense and energy, but all I'm saying is that he needs to be moved to 6th man or told to shape his game as a 3 and D guy and our team will be better for it. If we really want to go after a title at some point with him on this roster then it has to be addressed. If you look at the past 10 years of champions, I can't think of one player on those teams that was clearly a #3 or #4 option that took more shots than the #1 or #2 options OR took as many bonehead shots as Dillon takes. Its not winning basketball and yall know it.

 

As far as Kyle goes, if his only value is ball handling and defense then we have 3 to 4 guys that fit that mold that are better floor spacers than he is. Melton Tyus Grayson and Justise will suffice as far as backup ball handlers, and Melton, Josh, Grayson and Justise will suffice as defenders. Jaren and BC have the 4 spot sewed up and I would love a Tollier-esq type of stretch 4 to bring on next year just as insurance. So that kills the need for Kyle. I do think his Slo Mo Euro's come in the clutch. I just believe our offense is more fluid without him at this point.

Never said anything about logical so miss me with all that. I'm not saying he cant have a off night, I'm saying it's hard to tell when that night is. He generally misses a few shots before he gets it going so it's hard to say he'll have a off night until he's fully in the thick of it. Defense is winning basketball and he is the best defender we have for the most part. I don't get how you don't understand that he has the greenlight.  Agree or not he has it, so live with or not it's not changing anytime soon.  Jenkins doesn't pull him because he wants him to shot. Nothing I say is changing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, grizzdafuture said:

As far as Kyle goes, if his only value is ball handling and defense then we have 3 to 4 guys that fit that mold that are better floor spacers than he is. Melton Tyus Grayson and Justise will suffice as far as backup ball handlers, and Melton, Josh, Grayson and Justise will suffice as defenders. Jaren and BC have the 4 spot sewed up and I would love a Tollier-esq type of stretch 4 to bring on next year just as insurance. So that kills the need for Kyle. I do think his Slo Mo Euro's come in the clutch. I just believe our offense is more fluid without him at this point.

Yea when everyone is healthy i don't see a reason for Kyle to get minutes even over Tolliver.    Jaren and BC are unquestionably superior options at the 4.    Justise Josh and Dillon are superior options at the 3.    I'd rather see Konchar get the secondary ball-handler minutes over him too.    

Trade him and Gudruic this summer to make room for Josh and Konchar on roster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now