Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies @ LA Lakers - 2/21/20

4 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Really???

Seems like sort of a knee jerk reaction to me. I would not be too excited about the prospects of Josh Jackson being our starting SF moving forward.

I hope Winslow gets right quick.

I don't see anyone on this team with the athletic ability and the physical ability that Josh has because Ja  is much smaller.

10 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Our 3pt attempts have cratered lately too (only 16 for this game).   I dont think its a coincidence that swapping out Crowder for Kyle signaled the decline in attempts.    Crowder was a chucker but it did keep defenses honest. 

When you have a starting lineup with both Ja and Kyle being hesitant 3pt shooters that absolutely DESTROYS spacing and makes it hard on interior Big like Jonas.     FO gonna need to trade SloMo in the off season.  It should be clear as day that Josh is a better fit over him longterm.  

losing solo and crowder to trade and allen to injury has really screwed up the spacing.  all 3 (for better or worse as it regards to jae) have quick triggers from 3 and were able to keep the defense honest.  with allen also projecting as a 38-42% shooter potentially, i don't think people realize how much losing him and solo has hurt.  when dillon goes cold, there is no other wing on this team between kyle, josh, or deanthony who can shoot (they are all < 30% from 3).  it has clearly affected ja's effectiveness as well as JV's as people are doubling down and clogging the paint and daring those last 3 guys i mentioned to beat them from 3.

10 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Melton is dribbling too much and trying to be like DB.

i love melton's all-around game (mostly defensively), but he's not as good as people think he is offensively, especially in half court.  he can get out on the break and be very effective, but he's a bad ball-handler w/ what seems like a high turnover rate and an inconsistent shooter.

10 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

This is a big problem. Without Jaren we are in deep ****. Nobody else seems to be able to hit any 3s except maybe Tyus, and Dillon is back to playing like a scrub again. Without 3s we are zero chance of playoffs 

exactly, see my last statement quoting grizztigerfan.  it's a glaring problem.  solo and crowder gone, allen out, and now JJJ possibly out.  tyus has been great but he's not a volume shooter. no reliable offball floor spacers other than dillon potentially.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I don't see anyone on this team with the athletic ability and the physical ability that Josh has because Ja  is much smaller.

winslow and allen are similar athletes to JJ, allen is just the smaller of the 3 although bigger than ja

6 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

Really???

Seems like sort of a knee jerk reaction to me. I would not be too excited about the prospects of Josh Jackson being our starting SF moving forward.

I hope Winslow gets right quick.

Not knee jerk at all.  I am not saying Josh should be the starting SF.    That is without a doubt Winslow spot.   

Kyle should be coming off the bench, which is the role i see for Josh too.     I am saying Josh's skillset (quicker trigger, slashing, athleticism and passing) is a better fit in our fast pace system over SloMo, period.     Yes Kyle is a good rebounder, passer, and ballhandler but those are things Josh are solid at too.     So which would you rather have longterm at backup SF?    Josh is simply more talented player and is younger and positional better fit too.   SloMo is really a PF masquerading as a SF.  

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Melton/Grayson

Winslow/Josh/Marko

Jaren/Brandon/?

Jonas/DIeng

Id rather trade Kyle and keep Josh on team friendly deal.     

Those are you guys and allows us to play more attacking faster style.   

40 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

losing solo and crowder to trade and allen to injury has really screwed up the spacing.  all 3 (for better or worse as it regards to jae) have quick triggers from 3 and were able to keep the defense honest.  with allen also projecting as a 38-42% shooter potentially, i don't think people realize how much losing him and solo has hurt.  when dillon goes cold, there is no other wing on this team between kyle, josh, or deanthony who can shoot (they are all < 30% from 3).  it has clearly affected ja's effectiveness as well as JV's as people are doubling down and clogging the paint and daring those last 3 guys i mentioned to beat them from 3.

Yep +100 well said.   We don't actually miss Solo or Crowder for their leadership or vet savvy.   What we miss is the "respect" opponents gave them from 3.   I think thats why Taylor has been parading Marko out there.   But Marko sucks so bad and doesnt shoot so its pointless.  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not knee jerk at all.  I am not saying Josh should be the starting SF.    That is without a doubt Winslow spot.   

Kyle should be coming off the bench, which is the role i see for Josh too.     I am saying Josh's skillset (quicker trigger, slashing, athleticism and passing) is a better fit in our fast pace system over SloMo, period.     Yes Kyle is a good rebounder, passer, and ballhandler but those are things Josh are solid at too.     So which would you rather have longterm at backup SF?    Josh is simply more talented player and is younger and positional better fit too.   SloMo is really a PF masquerading as a SF.  

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Melton/Grayson

Winslow/Josh/Marko

Jaren/Brandon/?

Jonas/DIeng

Jeez even I would take Jackson over Anderson at SF. I respect Kyle or anyone who gets the most out of their abilities, but Anderson doesnt even meet the base level requirements of a SF. Too slow.... he is slower than even slow guys like Doug McDermott and terrified to shoot a jumper. Please hurry up Winslow. 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Melton/Grayson

Winslow/Josh/Marko

Jaren/Brandon/?

Jonas/DIeng

Winslow hasn't exactly been setting the woods on fire this year, 38.85 and 22.2 from 3, I don't see him being given the starting role.

Josh can take it to the hole or dish pretty easily and he does pass willingly..

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So which would you rather have longterm at backup SF?    Josh is simply more talented player and is younger and positional better fit too.   SloMo is really a PF masquerading as a SF.  

Ja/Tyus

Dillon/Melton/Grayson

Winslow/Josh/Marko

Jaren/Brandon/?

Jonas/DIeng

Honestly I would take Josh in the role you have envisioned for him, but I am not sold on him succeeding in that role. I guess the jury is still out for me.

We know that we will ride with Anderson until at least the trade deadline next year due to contract so I just don't think it is a matter of personnel as much as telling SloMo he needs to shoot the ball. I seem to recall he was at least average from the corner 3 at some point in the past few years.

I guess the answer is neither for me. I think/hope Justise is our SF of the future. Josh could definitely be the back up SF of the future though.  

53 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Honestly I would take Josh in the role you have envisioned for him, but I am not sold on him succeeding in that role. I guess the jury is still out for me.

We know that we will ride with Anderson until at least the trade deadline next year due to contract so I just don't think it is a matter of personnel as much as telling SloMo he needs to shoot the ball. I seem to recall he was at least average from the corner 3 at some point in the past few years.

I guess the answer is neither for me. I think/hope Justise is our SF of the future. Josh could definitely be the back up SF of the future though.  

I dont think the role i want Josh to play is really that difficult.   He is already doing it.   Just be a scoring and transition threat,  keep the ball moving and play solid defense.    That is literally his floor as a player.     

SloMo just isn't capable of being the type of offensive player we need in that spot.   He would have to overhaul his entire playstyle and that really isn't possible.      His wind up when he catches is so slow that guys can recover back to him from the paint anyway.    His presence will never open up the paint and that is a bad fit with Ja and Jonas.     

#Grizzlies starting lineup of J. Morant D. Brooks K. Anderson J. Jackson Jr J. Valanciunas

before trade deadline: 100.6 Off rating, +8.3 net rating 54.9 eFG%

after trade deadline: 76.5 Off rating, -37.0 net rating 38.6 eFG%

That tells me once teams had time to adjust and scout - it got exposed.  

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

Jeez even I would take Jackson over Anderson at SF. I respect Kyle or anyone who gets the most out of their abilities, but Anderson doesnt even meet the base level requirements of a SF. Too slow.... he is slower than even slow guys like Doug McDermott and terrified to shoot a jumper. Please hurry up Winslow. 

That alone says volumes  LOL 

5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

#Grizzlies starting lineup of J. Morant D. Brooks K. Anderson J. Jackson Jr J. Valanciunas

It doesn't say that to me, DB has gone cold, in the last 5 games he has taken 73 shots and made 19, that's over 14 shots a game and 3J has taken 46 and made 16. That's what is killing the Grizz. DB hasn't made over 4 shots in any of those 5 games. DB is shooting under 30% in all those games and 3J is shooting less 35%. 

18 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Or it is simply that they have played far better teams since the trade deadline and you are using too small of a set of numbers to make a serious statement.

58 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Or it is simply that they have played far better teams since the trade deadline and you are using too small of a set of numbers to make a serious statement.

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Nah that's not it at all.   Pretty easy to see that SloMo hurts the pace and spacing.   Ja and Jonas need the spacing to operate.     Dillon and Jaren may be missing shots but opponents still respect them from the 3 so they still create space.    But having 3 nonshooters is a bridge too far in Taylor's system.      

Not understanding why anyone would have a  problem with removing SloMo from startling lineup.      It isn't like he is entrenched in the position.   He is nothing but a placeholder anyway till Justise is healthy. 

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nah that's not it at all.   Pretty easy to see that SloMo hurts the pace and spacing.   Ja and Jonas need the spacing to operate.     Dillon and Jaren may be missing shots but opponents still respect them from the 3 so they still create space.    But having 3 nonshooters is a bridge too far in Taylor's system.      

Not understanding why anyone would have a  problem with removing SloMo from startling lineup.      It isn't like he is entrenched in the position.   He is nothing but a placeholder anyway till Justise is healthy. 

I agree about taking Kyle out of the starting lineup.  How a guy can rise to the level of NBA player and not be able to shoot is beyond me.  Poor Ja will hit him with a perfect pass for a wide open three and he will either hesitate and do nothing but take a couple of dribbles and pass it back, or brick the shot.  Ja needs to be surrounded with mostly shooters.  

Plus I think Kyle fits better with the bench mob.

And I'm still mad about him letting Alex Caruso get an offensive rebound, put back dunk over him on a missed free throw.  Alex Caruso!!!  Not Lebum, or AD, or Javale, or Dwight Howard, or even Kyle Kuzma; Alex Caruso!!!  I hope Coach Jenkins shows that in the film session over and over and over again.