Sign in to follow this  
Memphis Maverick

No dunk contest for Ja

I never much cared for the dunk contest.  There's really only a limited number of things you can do before you start having to use gimmicks, or you just start repeating what others have already pioneered.  Also the scoring is too subjective.

6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I never much cared for the dunk contest.  There's really only a limited number of things you can do before you start having to use gimmicks, or you just start repeating what others have already pioneered.  Also the scoring is too subjective.

every since spud webb won the Dunk contest. I lost the respect and the  integrity of the dunk contest

After the b.s. yesterday I don't think next year will be worth watching. Gordon got got twice, greatest dunker of our time straight up.

10 minutes ago, cdp said:

After the b.s. yesterday I don't think next year will be worth watching. Gordon got got twice, greatest dunker of our time straight up.

DJJ dunked out of his mind too.  

The voting system in the dunk contest has been a farce for a long time. What essentially are celebrity judges goofing around and playing favorites are no way to call a high visibility event like this.

Add to that the fact that every possible dunk has already been done and all that’s left to be original are gimmicks and I’m not even sure what the point of the event is any more.

36 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

The voting system in the dunk contest has been a farce for a long time. What essentially are celebrity judges goofing around and playing favorites are no way to call a high visibility event like this.

Add to that the fact that every possible dunk has already been done and all that’s left to be original are gimmicks and I’m not even sure what the point of the event is any more.

I agree.....with all of this.

I think they should keep the dunk "event", as an exhibition.  Take the "celebrity" judges out and just have fun with the whole thing.

The end of the rising Stars game was cool with the impromptu dunk exhibition before time ran out.

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Pretty much this - I think that's why Gordon losing felt like such robbery. That off-the-backboard 360 one-handed dunk was not only beautiful, but something I had truly never seen before.

I kinda wish that they'd find a way to reward the best All-Star weekend IN GAME dunk... Rising Stars get one and the actual All-Star game gets another.

The actual dunk contest has been run of the mill since the superstars decided they would'nt take part.

Even that suggestion is kind of iffy - I mean - even without defense, it seemed that wide open in game dunks were pretty hard to come by.

5 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

I agree.....with all of this.

I think they should keep the dunk "event", as an exhibition.  Take the "celebrity" judges out and just have fun with the whole thing.

The end of the rising Stars game was cool with the impromptu dunk exhibition before time ran out.

Don't you mean the impromptu choke exhibition?  There were far more missed than made.

6 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I've said this very same thing for years.  I had already quit watching before that year when they had players recreate dunks from the past greats.  My friend told me about it, and how they brought in the "wheel of death", as he called it.  They would spin the wheel and you would have to recreate a specific dunk by Dr. J, MJ, or Dominique, or someone, regardless of the fact that some players are two-footed jumpers, others are one.  Some players can palm the ball with one hand, others cannot.  He said it was a disaster.

I did tune in the year that they gave Nate Robinson 473 do-overs to beat Iggy.  One thing was guaranteed, that a jackass was going to win that year.

I think I decided that I didn't care for the contest much after the All-Star Weekend in Chicago when they robbed Dominique to make the hometown hero from the Bulls the champ.  It was apparent to me that Wilkins was just more original than Jordan.  But the judges gave it to Mike for copying Dr. J's old dunk.  I always wondered if the judges were afraid they wouldn't make it home if they didn't crown Jordan the champ.

I guess other than Nate's and Iggy's ridiculous showing, I pretty much quit watching after Brent Barry won, because I have no memory of any of them.  Maybe they were just snoozers?

22 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I've said this very same thing for years.  I had already quit watching before that year when they had players recreate dunks from the past greats.  My friend told me about it, and how they brought in the "wheel of death", as he called it.  They would spin the wheel and you would have to recreate a specific dunk by Dr. J, MJ, or Dominique, or someone, regardless of the fact that some players are two-footed jumpers, others are one.  Some players can palm the ball with one hand, others cannot.  He said it was a disaster.

I did tune in the year that they gave Nate Robinson 473 do-overs to beat Iggy.  One thing was guaranteed, that a jackass was going to win that year.

I think I decided that I didn't care for the contest much after the All-Star Weekend in Chicago when they robbed Dominique to make the hometown hero from the Bulls the champ.  It was apparent to me that Wilkins was just more original than Jordan.  But the judges gave it to Mike for copying Dr. J's old dunk.  I always wondered if the judges were afraid they wouldn't make it home if they didn't crown Jordan the champ.

I guess other than Nate's and Iggy's ridiculous showing, I pretty much quit watching after Brent Barry won, because I have no memory of any of them.  Maybe they were just snoozers?

Vince Carter's 2000 dunk contest was a thing to behold. But basically that was Vince Carter competing against himself.

AG was awesome Saturday.  His 360 one-handed alley oop dunk was one of the best dunks I've ever seen.  He should have won with that dunk.

DJJ was pretty awesome, but AG deserved the win.  The judges (Dwayne Wade) screwed it up, and I anticipate it'll have an effect on the competition for the next couple years.  I'll still watch, though

Why would anyone reward the NBA for how bad its officiating as been this year by tuning in to the ASG?

I know, because people will still watch regardless. Tweets, insta post, etc, etc. All about the money $ and the simpletons do not care. 

Imo, that is the whole of it. No, i didn’t watch, not even the skills challenge or 3-point contest which both I’ve thoroughly enjoyed in the past.  

6 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Vince Carter's 2000 dunk contest was a thing to behold. But basically that was Vince Carter competing against himself.

Of course, though I did not watch VC's win, I have seen the highlights over the years.  I would put him with Dominique as best dunk performers I've ever seen.

2 hours ago, MickyFrickyGrizzyFan said:

Why would anyone reward the NBA for how bad its officiating as been this year by tuning in to the ASG?

I know, because people will still watch regardless. Tweets, insta post, etc, etc. All about the money $ and the simpletons do not care. 

Imo, that is the whole of it. No, i didn’t watch, not even the skills challenge or 3-point contest which both I’ve thoroughly enjoyed in the past.  

It seemed to me like they're starting to get gimmicky with the 3-pt shootout this year adding those additional two "Mountain Dew" deep shots.  At least they haven't started judging style and form on shooting yet.

I wonder about the state of guards in the league when big men knock out all the wings/guards and a center wins the skills challenge.

9 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Steve was pretty good too

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I always thought it was biased after watching MJ beat Dom. MJ is the goat but no man on earth can tell me that he could beat Dom at dunking. Every now and then some great dunkers will come in, but overall its just too repetitive 

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Steve was pretty good too

And Mac

edit: Stevie franchise is my favorite magic of all time and still the most fun player I’ve ever seen live

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

It seemed to me like they're starting to get gimmicky with the 3-pt shootout this year adding those additional two "Mountain Dew" deep shots.  At least they haven't started judging style and form on shooting yet.

I wonder about the state of guards in the league when big men knock out all the wings/guards and a center wins the skills challenge.

What the fack, you mean from half-court? 

My dear God, what in the E.T is our world coming to???

2 hours ago, MickyFrickyGrizzyFan said:

What the fack, you mean from half-court? 

My dear God, what in the E.T is our world coming to???

I guess you missed the MTV celebrity’s game where they raised the goals and had 10 point shots like 25 years ago

9 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

And Mac

edit: Stevie franchise is my favorite magic of all time and still the most fun player I’ve ever seen live

Worst Grizzlies' draft pick ever!  Worse than Thabeet!  I can't stand him for the way he shafted this organization.