Sign in to follow this  
King Dork

Dion Waiters appreciation thread

Just now, Grizz&Grind said:

I 100% get the logic. 

I'm just saying, for me at least, the success of the deal rests purely on Winslow being a solid player, potential starter. 

That's it. Everything else is just fluff by the media and fans trying to rationalize the deal. 

IMO 

That's fair, for me a lot depends on Winslow but it also depends on what they can do next summer or if they trade for someone in the season, then you can judge if rolling the capspace on was the right call.

4 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Yes, I understand all of that. That wasn't my point. The point was that it's okay for fans to scratch their head a bit, especially at the constant coronation by the local media of the front office (some fans too) over this deal.

They've done a terrific job so far - terrific, but it's fine for fans to step back and look at this trade and shrug a bit. I've already said that the FO deserves to roll the dice on a player they have coveted anyway (Winslow).

All I'm saying is don't blow smoke (not you, obvs) and and proclaim clear victory either. That ain't it.

Time will tell on this deal, though by the time Ja and JJJ are rolling into the playoffs next year, it likely won't even matter to most whether Winslow is a stud or a bust.

Oh yeah, I agree. Dont blow smoke until its clearly a win. This isnt an obviously grear deal but it has potential. 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Oh yeah, I agree. Dont blow smoke until its clearly a win. This isnt an obviously grear deal but it has potential. 

True.

We got two young former lottery picks for basically nothing to try out - Josh and Justise.

Hopefully at least one pans out.

Irony is that if we made this same deal but replace Winslow with a 2020 first alot of critics would be lauding it. 

When in reality 23y former lottery pick Winslow is way better than any Miami pick we could get this year.    Heck he is in same age range of our current draft picks.   There is zero guarantee that any of these 2020 picks become NBA rotation players or have the floor he does.  

Ill say it again. The only risk with Winslow is his health.   He can be exactly the player he has been last few years and that fits perfectly with our CORE.  We dont need him to be something he isnt or grow into.   If he develops further that is just gravy and still very possible.   

Worthy risk. 

I have to agree with what I'm hearing here.  

Calculated risk?  Yes, but what other options did we have?

Homerun?  No, but that wasn't going to happen under the circumstances.  We had a disgruntled, overpaid idiot who was making noise and effectively handcuffed us by limiting the teams we could trade him to.  And remember, we did already get a 1st Round pick for taking the bum in the first place.

I don't know what other deals were available, but based on what I've seen from the front office over the past few months, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they have a plan and know what they're doing.  Even if that means making the best deal they can make under less than ideal circumstances.

6 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Good luck wherever you end up, Dion.

#dontpokethebear

ck_gummy_bears-2775_2048x.jpg?v=14780307

Don't give him that many. Good god. 

He gone.

So if someone picks him up they eat a little bit of his contract for us. Would the same thing apply next year? Say some moronic team signs him for $5 mill next year, would we only owe him 7.6 mill?

4 minutes ago, cdp said:

He gone.

So if someone picks him up they eat a little bit of his contract for us. Would the same thing apply next year? Say some moronic team signs him for $5 mill next year, would we only owe him 7.6 mill?

No, we owe him the entirety of his salary but his cap hit will be set-off by up to half the difference between the new contract and the veteran minimum applicable the year he was waived.

We’re going to have more than $25M worth of cap space even with Waiters’ salary and DB’s new contract, so someone please, please, explain me who we’re not going to be able to sign because of this.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

We’re going to have more than $25M worth of cap space even with Waiters’ salary and DB’s new contract, so someone please, please, explain me who we’re not going to be able to sign because of this.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....we don't like them facts round these parts.

Wahh cap space. Some of y’all probably  complain about the weather being too nice. Half y’all don’t even know the real details of what you’re complaining about

2 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Wahh cap space. Some of y’all probably  complain about the weather being too nice. Half y’all don’t even know the real details of what you’re complaining about

You just make it home safe, aight? We worry.

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Huh? You counting Winslow and Dieng too?  Cap has been reduced to 115 and I thought that additional 51 million (43 million for the new guys plus Dillon going from a 3.1 cap hold to a 11.4 contract) wiped out our cap space? 

54 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Huh? You counting Winslow and Dieng too?  Cap has been reduced to 115 and I thought that additional 51 million (43 million for the new guys plus Dillon going from a 3.1 cap hold to a 11.4 contract) wiped out our cap space? 

Actually you’re right (I guess I shouldn’t make back of the envelope calculations at 3am), we’ll have some cap space left but most likely we’ll operate over the cap using the available exceptions. However the point remains, we’ll be able to re-sign our own free agents (DB already in), we’re not going to be players in the 2020 FA market and we will have huge room below the tax allowing us to absorb salary in potential trades. All that dead salary will fall off in 2021 (like the $19M or so that falls off next summer from Plumlee/Howard/Bradley) so what’s the harm?

People acting like those $12M are crippling the franchise are not looking at the big picture. The moment we decided not to spend our cap in 2020 FAs the cap space became largely irrelevant.

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

You just make it home safe, aight? We worry.

Made it home safe. Thanks I know you guys worry about me

26 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Mostly not for travel reasons though.:ph34r:

That’s technically 3 demerits but I’ll let you off whit 2

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Actually you’re right (I guess I shouldn’t make back of the envelope calculations at 3am), we’ll have some cap space left but most likely we’ll operate over the cap using the available exceptions. However the point remains, we’ll be able to re-sign our own free agents (DB already in), we’re not going to be players in the 2020 FA market and we will have huge room below the tax allowing us to absorb salary in potential trades. All that dead salary will fall off in 2021 (like the $19M or so that falls off next summer from Plumlee/Howard/Bradley) so what’s the harm?

People acting like those $12M are crippling the franchise are not looking at the big picture. The moment we decided not to spend our cap in 2020 FAs the cap space became largely irrelevant.

Oh you are absolutely correct in my opinion. We would have had to pay 8-10 miion to get a backup center like Dieng who costs 17. I look at it like paying Winslow 32 million for one year so he can be on your team as a productive player for years to come hopefully.  

Dion Waiters was the cost of getting Dieng and Winslow. Only time will tell if this was a good purchase or a bad one. It is definitely a risky one. I hope Waiters didn't cost too much to buy out. 

Meh, I would have left him inactive on the roster and tried to move him as an expiring next year but its no biggie either way.