Sign in to follow this  
King Dork

Dion Waiters appreciation thread

I hope he is wrong. Dion could be a huge scorer off the bench for Memphis. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

I don't know how excited I was about his on-court fit, but I still am surprised by this also. 

It'd be one thing if he was expiring, but we're gonna have his dead number on our books next year. Wouldn't he be more useful as a chip in trades for matching salary? 

Do we absolutely need the roster spot to not cut someone? 

I don't think it is the roster spot, and I wonder if the FO wants to get away from the perception that they banish players.

Would have liked to see him compete for time and minutes, and I'll be upset if he finds himself on a playoff roster, but I bet Riley/Spo gave a very honest perspective of DW to Zach/Jenkins.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Not worth the trouble. Dude has been a locker room cancer type player since the day he walked in the league. No need for that type of player at this point in the rebuilding process. 

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't think it is the roster spot, and I wonder if the FO wants to get away from the perception that they banish players.

Would have liked to see him compete for time and minutes, and I'll be upset if he finds himself on a playoff roster, but I bet Riley/Spo gave a very honest perspective of DW to Zach/Jenkins.

Like, we trade for players and then don't let them get on the court? Do we have a reputation for that? 

Only one i can think of right now is Iggy, who wanted that himself so doesn't really count. 

5 minutes ago, King Dork said:

Not worth the trouble. Dude has been a locker room cancer type player since the day he walked in the league. No need for that type of player at this point in the rebuilding process. 

Not a good fit for a young building team.

Dieng can be the expiring for next season.   No reason to keep a potential Cancer on the team.   Especially when Josh rehabilitation is going so well.     

I am sure FO did there due diligence on his character before making the trade.    I have zero problem with this move. 

2 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Like, we trade for players and then don't let them get on the court? Do we have a reputation for that? 

Only one i can think of right now is Iggy, who wanted that himself so doesn't really count. 

Well we did send Josh Jackson to the g-league for half a year

3 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Antoine Walker?  Aaron McKie?  Jerry Stackhouse?  Shaun Livingston?

One of the greatest Grizzlies of all time, he'll be missed 😂

I was actually intrigued about his on court fit after the trade, as we could definitely use a scorer off the bench. But I guess the off court issues outweighed his abilities...

Dion Waiters to Be Bought out or Released by Grizzlies After Heat Trade.....and we got NOTHING for it....why oh why?....we take dead money for NOTHING?....i am speechless

13 hours ago, Zappastache said:

I don't know how excited I was about his on-court fit, but I still am surprised by this also. 

It'd be one thing if he was expiring, but we're gonna have his dead number on our books next year. Wouldn't he be more useful as a chip in trades for matching salary? 

Do we absolutely need the roster spot to not cut someone? 

No one wants this dude. He was about to be released a few months ago. MIA made it a condition to take on Waiters and Johnson if anyone was interested in Winslow.They also said Herro is off limits. They stuck to their conviction and public bluffing. We didn't. We demanded a 1st for Iggy and 1st for Jae, we didn't get either. Instead, we got an oft injured player and 2 bad contracts that MIA was trying to dump cause no one would take them. Luckily, we turned one of those bad contracts into a kind of sort of less bad one for a real backup C. Otherwise, we got fleeced.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

No one wants this dude. He was about to be released a few months ago. MIA made it a condition to take on Waiters and Johnson if anyone was interested in Winslow.They also said Herro is off limits. They stuck to their conviction and public bluffing. We didn't. We demanded a 1st for Iggy and 1st for Jae, we didn't get either. Instead, we got an oft injured player and 2 bad contracts that MIA was trying to dump cause no one would take them. Luckily, we turned one of those bad contracts into a kind of sort of less bad one for a real backup C. Otherwise, we got fleeced.

We just took him in a trade to match money. I could see that happening again next year, regardless of his play. 

As an asset, we lose the ability to trade his contract if we buy him out, right? Seems like that should be a decision made more like next year, but I guess that might not be the best look if he wants to play and we hold him out. I think that is why they want to go this route, so that he isn't around the locker room or disgruntled away from the team. Someone will take a flier on him. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Unless Winslow becomes a key piece to a perennial playoff Grizz team, I tend to agree with this outlook.

I do like flipping JJ for Dieng.

And couldn't be more happy that they ditched Waiters.

But those media people trying to act like the Grizz hit a homerun yesterday are a bit much.

55 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Unless Winslow becomes a key piece to a perennial playoff Grizz team, I tend to agree with this outlook.

But those media people trying to act like the Grizz hit a homerun yesterday are a bit much.

Winslow is obviously the key to this becoming a good trade. 

But Waiters will br out of sight. Dieng will play here for a minute then be dealt next deadline or moved on from in 2021. They werent going to do anything with that space. 28 year old slow footed Joe Harris was the best free agent target. So whats really the risk here. You can sit around and hope that the cap room can be flipped into something like a bad deal and a pick. Or you can hope Winslow can become that player you need. They chose Winslow. 

1 hour ago, Grizz&Grind said:

It's definitely not a home run, it's a calcualted gamble. Big versatile wings who can defend several positions well and contribute to offense are the hardest players to find in the league and they carry a premium, it's doubtful that we could sign on in FA, so they've gone in for Winslow now.

Obviously the opportunity cost is FA/taking picks for bad money this year but I don't think there's anyone that could be realistically signed in free agency this year that could be in the best 5 of the next grizzlies deep playoff run, Winslow has the potential to be. The poor FA class also means it's unlikely there's going to be a high demand for salary dumping and there's plenty of other teams who would be able to take on those contracts too, so I don't think there's a huge chance they would have managed to get many assets for taking on the bad salary. I do think a pick from Miami would have made the deal much better but I get the logic.

24 minutes ago, Dwash said:

But Waiters will br out of sight. Dieng will play here for a minute then be dealt next deadline or moved on from in 2021. They werent going to do anything with that space. 28 year old slow footed Joe Harris was the best free agent target. So whats really the risk here. You can sit around and hope that the cap room can be flipped into something like a bad deal and a pick. Or you can hope Winslow can become that player you need. They chose Winslow. 

Yep Yep and Yep 

Id rather take the gamble that cheap inexpensive Grayson Allen can turn into Donte Divincenzo rather than overpaying Joe Harris.   Like Herrington says we need an athletic strong primary defender in starting lineup more than we need another shooter.    Jaren and Dillon are enough shooting in starting lineup for now and Ja is improving.   Justise also was a .38% three pt shooter during his healthy year.    Dude is worth the gamble during this upcoming trash FA market. 

31 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yes, I understand all of that. That wasn't my point. The point was that it's okay for fans to scratch their head a bit, especially at the constant coronation by the local media of the front office (some fans too) over this deal.

They've done a terrific job so far - terrific, but it's fine for fans to step back and look at this trade and shrug a bit. I've already said that the FO deserves to roll the dice on a player they have coveted anyway (Winslow).

All I'm saying is don't blow smoke (not you, obvs) and and proclaim clear victory either. That ain't it.

Time will tell on this deal, though by the time Ja and JJJ are rolling into the playoffs next year, it likely won't even matter to most whether Winslow is a stud or a bust.