Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Grade the Trades & Provide Analysis

Grade the Trade  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade Would you Give the Grizz for the Miami Trade (Iggy, Crowder, Hill for Winslow, Waiters, Johnson) ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • I
  2. 2. What Grade Would you Give the Grizz for the Houston Trade (Caboclo for Jordan Bell)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • I
  3. 3. What Grade Would you Give the Grizz for the Minnesota Trade (Johnson for Gorgui Dieng)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • I

Bruno for Bell: I like Bell.  Blocks some shots, boards and dunks.  Should be able to play with Jaren or Jonas.  Actually Bruno isn’t a bad fit for Houston. I think Chip might be right — could be an ideal 5 for them.

I like getting Dieng as a backup center.  I like bigs. I might be old school like that.  Plus he’s shooting 38% on 3’s.  We can do a ton of mixing/matching on the inside.

We are 6-0 when Slo Mo starts at the 3. Don’t fix what ain’t broke.  When he gets healthy I would make Justise Winslow our super sub 6th man. Kind of a unicorn that he could go in for any of Ja/Dillon/Kyle/Jaren/Jonas.  Also gives us unicorn potential on both sides of the ball: small ball point center on offense and a 5 position defender on defense. 

We still need to add a 3 point shooter — or 3.  

Due to our cramped cap I think we might not do much damage in free agency (either good or bad) so we might need to acquire some shooters on draft night (all else being equal).  

Here's the deal, we are a significantly better team without Jae Crowder. In the 5 games he hasn't played for us, we are 5-0 with an average margin of victory of 11.4 (with wins over two playoff teams in there). Getting any useful asset for him and a washed up Iggy is a W in my book. Jae doesn't "help us make the playoffs" or any non-sense like that because of his play on the floor. He was a good leader for sure, but he wasn't helping win games. Hill was okay, but easily replaced with Kyle, Josh, or Winslow. Not worried at all about that. Dieng and Bell are nice additions as well. 

Bottomline is we got a potential core member in Winslow (if healthy the fit is insanely perfect with our guys) and a much needed backup C in Dieng, plus we put an end to the Iguodala situation. For that we gave away two important presences in the locker room and incredibly nice guys, but, although a part of it, none of them were a key part of our rotation, neither of our future, so it's a win there.

One could argue we should get some pick from Miami and I wouldn't go against that one, as we gave away three expirings and got two bad longer contracts in return, But we also got the best player in the deal and it's not like we were to find the solution to our problems in this summer free agency (or maybe any summer for that matter), so I can live with the hit.

The Bell trade is ok, the best part is the pick swap.

All in all, adding Dillon's extension, I think this will be seen as a very good day at the office looking back a couple of years from now, and that's the best we have to expect from our FO.

5 hours ago, misae said:

Bottomline is we got a potential core member in Winslow (if healthy the fit is insanely perfect with our guys) and a much needed backup C in Dieng, plus we put an end to the Iguodala situation. For that we gave away two important presences in the locker room and incredibly nice guys, but, although a part of it, none of them were a key part of our rotation, neither of our future, so it's a win there.

One could argue we should get some pick from Miami and I wouldn't go against that one, as we gave away three expirings and got two bad longer contracts in return, But we also got the best player in the deal and it's not like we were to find the solution to our problems in this summer free agency (or maybe any summer for that matter), so I can live with the hit.

The Bell trade is ok, the best part is the pick swap.

All in all, adding Dillon's extension, I think this will be seen as a very good day at the office looking back a couple of years from now, and that's the best we have to expect from our FO.

Fair assessment overall. I do think the FO has earned the right to roll the dice on a guy they really liked (Winslow), so whatever at this point.

At the end of the day, the poor FA market if 2020 put a lower price tag on expirings. It had already gotten lower over the years (except for teams fighting the tax) due to shorter contracts and teams being able to absorb deals in early July when the action starts. But the FA class probably killed the value of absorbing one year of bad money. 

53 minutes ago, Dwash said:

At the end of the day, the poor FA market if 2020 put a lower price tag on expirings. It had already gotten lower over the years (except for teams fighting the tax) due to shorter contracts and teams being able to absorb deals in early July when the action starts. But the FA class probably killed the value of absorbing one year of bad money. 

Good point there, and it’s not like we absorbed 3 years of bad contracts, it’s just one season, plus I think Dieng is going to be a serviceable player for us 

3 minutes ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:

I will just leave this here, in response to ESPN claiming we hurt our playoff chances this year

Makes sense to me because I cant believe crowder's offense helped us from a metric standpoint, nor did Solo's once he started cooling off in combination with his ? defense.

1 hour ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:

I will just leave this here, in response to ESPN claiming we hurt our playoff chances this year

ESPN's trade machine consistently took multiple wins from us in any scenario where we traded Iguodala for anyone, so I think I'll take their valuable projections with a grain of salt.

With the Houston Rockets taking down the Lakers last night and with Zion looking like one of the best centers of the future (well, if he AIN'T a center then I don't really like his potential all that much), a guy like Justise Winslow has a TON of upside as BOTH a (potential) small ball point center AND a (potential) 5 position defender who can also bring some secondary skills such as rebounding and non-abysmal 3 point shooting (on low volume) to the table.

Dieng/Bell solidifies our big man bullpen which SHOULD bolster our chances of making the playoffs.  And, since it is basically PLAYOFFS OR BUST right now, then for that I think it is a good trade -- but longer-term, this trade's "UPSIDE" depends primarily on Mister Winslow.

Here's the take from The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/6/21127528/nba-trade-deadline-grades)

_________

Memphis Grizzlies

In: Justise Winslow, Gorgui Dieng, Dion Waiters, Jordan Bell, 2023 second-round pick (via Houston), 2023 second-round pick

Out: Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder, Solomon Hill, Bruno Caboclo

You could have Bobby Portis … or you could have a future first-round pick and a 23-year-old playmaking forward with defensive chops. Memphis chose the latter, putting on a master class in how a team can use cap space to bolster a rebuilding process by acquiring and flipping Iguodala. (Take notes, New York.) It helps that Winslow fits with Memphis’s up-and-down style perfectly and will have a big chip on his shoulder—a requirement to earn the love of Grizzlies fans. It’s hard to see any real downside here for Memphis; Winslow has struggled to stay healthy, but there isn’t much risk in taking a chance on a talented player’s health at this stage in the rebuilding process. The Grizzlies won the deadline, and it wasn’t particularly close. 

Grade: A

40 minutes ago, pjs said:

Here's the take from The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/6/21127528/nba-trade-deadline-grades)

_________

Memphis Grizzlies

In: Justise Winslow, Gorgui Dieng, Dion Waiters, Jordan Bell, 2023 second-round pick (via Houston), 2023 second-round pick

Out: Andre Iguodala, Jae Crowder, Solomon Hill, Bruno Caboclo

You could have Bobby Portis … or you could have a future first-round pick and a 23-year-old playmaking forward with defensive chops. Memphis chose the latter, putting on a master class in how a team can use cap space to bolster a rebuilding process by acquiring and flipping Iguodala. (Take notes, New York.) It helps that Winslow fits with Memphis’s up-and-down style perfectly and will have a big chip on his shoulder—a requirement to earn the love of Grizzlies fans. It’s hard to see any real downside here for Memphis; Winslow has struggled to stay healthy, but there isn’t much risk in taking a chance on a talented player’s health at this stage in the rebuilding process. The Grizzlies won the deadline, and it wasn’t particularly close. 

Grade: A

Wait, I'm confused. I thought we got a pick swap in the Jordan Bell trade, what are these two 2nd round picks?

1 minute ago, fanboyslim said:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought we got a pick swap in the Jordan Bell trade, what are these two 2nd round picks?

I thought we got a pick swap with Houston only. 

3 hours ago, Greater Memphis Grind said:

And FiveThirtyEight gives us a 10% chance of making the playoffs. I mean, it's all projections, no one has a clue:

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

And FiveThirtyEight gives us a 10% chance of making the playoffs. I mean, it's all projections, no one has a clue:

that's one of their forecast models. The other forecast model on that site has us with a 37% chance, finishing a game behind Portland in 9th. That's probably much more realistic right now.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:12 PM, fanboyslim said:

ESPN's trade machine consistently took multiple wins from us in any scenario where we traded Iguodala for anyone, so I think I'll take their valuable projections with a grain of salt.

:lol:  Earlier in the week I did Iggy and Marko for Rudy Gay and Jakob Poeltl for minus six wins.  Their formula is skewed weirdly to make such nonsense.

After letting it sit n marinate for a few days I give it B's across the board since it was actually a 3-team trade. Iggy/Crowder/Hill for Winslow/Waiters/Dieng looks good on paper as long as Winslow n Dieng play up to what they're capable of. Obviously Crowder and Iggy weren't worth a first and I don't know why anyone thought we'd get something better for Hill.

The biggest worry is that 12 mill it'll cost us for Waiters next year. Unless maybe they can buy him out this year for more money to offset for next year?

1 hour ago, Teddy.B said:

This entire trade is dependent on Justise Winslow. 

A - F is on his time with the Grizzlies. 

So if Dieng and Bell prove to be great additions and Winslow is injured or meh that makes it bad?

If Dieng/Bell help is make the playoffs this season then it is a B trade with C as the floor. Obviously it would take Winslow being a great fit and a good core player to push that up to an A. But #playoffs raises the floor, obviously.  

If we make the playoffs then we get a B — even if Winslow fails to play meaningful minutes.  After that, A, B, C are all possible options for next season.  Although I think it will take a bit longer to figure out if we hit a homer or not. #Summer2021 looks like target.  Can we hit the bull’s eye?

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

So if Dieng and Bell prove to be great additions and Winslow is injured or meh that makes it bad?

It's great if Dieng and Bell play above their career averages, but the real prized unknown here is Winslow. 

Dieng and Bell are what they are. Of course if they can duplicate Crowder and Hill leadership, chemistry and production on their own, it's a wash at B. 

What if Winslow ends up being some cross between Jordan Adams & Chandler Parsons?

Frequently injured, never fully able to integrate himself into the lineup, and taking PT away from someone else.