Sign in to follow this  
GoGrizz!

Why the trade with Miami is a bad trade.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

This means that if a team signs Waiters, whatever his contract is with the new team will be deducted from what the Grizzlies owe Waiters. 

Then we have this viewpoint:

They make it sound like the Grizzlies would buy out Waiters and then, if he signed somewhere else, they wouldn't get any relief. I don't believe that is correct however. I believe whatever the Grizzlies still owe Waiters will be reduced by whatever amount the signing teams pay him. 

Yeah, the next team will help us out by paying Waiters.  We only pay the remainder.  

Short-term, I think the trade actually works in our favor just by seeing what we have inside with Dieng/Bell.  Then we freed up a ton of minutes/touches/shots for Kyle Anderson who seems to be a PERFECT-FIT for the Ja Stars Starting Lineup.  Other than that, you also get to see what we have (or don't have) with Josh.  Yuta gets minutes here and there, too.

41 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah, the next team will help us out by paying Waiters.  We only pay the remainder.  

Short-term, I think the trade actually works in our favor just by seeing what we have inside with Dieng/Bell.  Then we freed up a ton of minutes/touches/shots for Kyle Anderson who seems to be a PERFECT-FIT for the Ja Stars Starting Lineup.  Other than that, you also get to see what we have (or don't have) with Josh.  Yuta gets minutes here and there, too.

kyle doesn't need alot of touches/shots, his value is on defense and versatility posting up smaller players and passing the ball.  he's not a floor spacer.

28 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

kyle doesn't need alot of touches/shots, his value is on defense and versatility posting up smaller players and passing the ball.  he's not a floor spacer.

but he needs the ball in his hands to be most effective.   Thats why he is doing so much better in Taylor's offense than he was JB's.    JB had him standing in the corner to spot up shoot, which was insane.  

Quick Question No One Seems to be Asking:

Do you believe Coach Jenkins was involved in the trade for Winslow or was the a purely Front Office decision? 

In other words, do you think Jenkins wanted Winslow and was willing to sacrifice Jae and Solo to get him and Dieng or was this something the FO mandated and Jenkins is being forced to deal with it? 

There was a lot of pressure on the front office to get a deal done with Iggy after all. Some coaches are involved and others aren't. This is the first time Jenkins has had his team disrupted during the season. Do you think he was on board or does he have to deal with the team the FO gives him? 

I didn't want to start a new thread on something so objectively opinionated at this point but I am curious what people think.

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Do you believe Coach Jenkins was involved in the trade for Winslow or was the a purely Front Office decision? 

In other words, do you think Jenkins wanted Winslow and was willing to sacrifice Jae and Solo to get him and Dieng or was this something the FO mandated and Jenkins is being forced to deal with it? 

There was a lot of pressure on the front office to get a deal done with Iggy after all. Some coaches are involved and others aren't. This is the first time Jenkins has had his team disrupted during the season. Do you think he was on board or does he have to deal with the team the FO gives him? 

I didn't want to start a new thread on something so objectively opinionated at this point but I am curious what people think.

I think it is the FO.

They wanted a "splash" move.

Upside is that Kyle Anderson looks to be a great fit in the starting lineup -- even when he isn't knocking down 3 pointers.  IF we get back to shooting well from 3 then we are gonna be good to go.

The FO says that Winslow fits in with what we are doing -- I would think that we just need more 3 point shooting and more rim runners to "complement what we are trying to do".  But, whatever.

If it were me, I would bring Winslow off the bench as a 6th man.  

OR, maybe we keep Kyle as the starting 3, then go with a small ball bench mob of Tyus/Melton/Josh/Winslow/Clarke.  Not a lot (any?) shooting from the second string but the defense, length, and tenacity should be awesome.

As it stands, our team has enough NON-SHOOTERS (hints of Grit/Grind) so we need to start stockpiling guys who can either SHOOT -- or sky for alley-oop dunks (preferably BOTH).

At the moment, I DO NOT see how Winslow is some IDEAL FIT.  BUT, if he brings it on defense and on the back boards, AND hits a decent amount of jumpers and 3's then he WILL be at the very least a VERY GOOD FIT.  So... basically... the jury is still out.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I think coach Jenkins is tightly aligned with the FO. He may not have been consulted about every trade discussion there's been and he may not have been the final decision maker, but I'm sure he's been consulted before pulling the trigger.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Great to see coach Jenkins has input with the Front office 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

but he needs the ball in his hands to be most effective.   Thats why he is doing so much better in Taylor's offense than he was JB's.    JB had him standing in the corner to spot up shoot, which was insane.  

yea, i just don't think there's enough touches to go around.  justise is also most effective as a point forward.  the only wings on the team right now who can still be very effective without the ball regularly in their hands are dillon and grayson.  deanthony somewhat as well, but he's not really any off ball spot up shooter.

27 minutes ago, grizz09 said:

yea, i just don't think there's enough touches to go around.  justise is also most effective as a point forward.  the only wings on the team right now who can still be very effective without the ball regularly in their hands are dillon and grayson.  deanthony somewhat as well, but he's not really any off ball spot up shooter.

Jaren might be the only legit floor spacer on the team.  Lost Art of Alt Grind basketball and all.

Dillon can shoot and score too but he likes to massage the ball a bit.   

Oh and I guess Clarke can score without feeling up the rock.  Not a great shooter but a decent spot up guy, even from 3.  

So Jaren is a moderate usage guy and Clarke is low usage — neither is super ball dominant.  

Ja/Jonas/Winslow DO need the ball.  Kyle and Tyus to do but they can make plays and don’t take a ton of shots.  Melton can do some of everything but is mostly an energy guy. 

We should be going after low usage/low maintenance 3 point shooters and a rim runner or two.

57 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Jaren might be the only legit floor spacer on the team.  Lost Art of Alt Grind basketball and all.

Dillon can shoot and score too but he likes to massage the ball a bit.   

Oh and I guess Clarke can score without feeling up the rock.  Not a great shooter but a decent spot up guy, even from 3.  

So Jaren is a moderate usage guy and Clarke is low usage — neither is super ball dominant.  

Ja/Jonas/Winslow DO need the ball.  Kyle and Tyus to do but they can make plays and don’t take a ton of shots.  Melton can do some of everything but is mostly an energy guy. 

We should be going after low usage/low maintenance 3 point shooters and a rim runner or two.

jaren, dillon, and allen are all legit volume floor spacers.  ja and JV hit well on low volume.  winslow has shown potential as has brandon here and there.  but outside of those first 3, i don't trust in anyone else as volume shooters.  clarke and allen barely touch the ball on offense unless they are getting an immediate shot, so both can also score without dominating the ball in addition to jaren.  i agree with your last sentence (although allen already fills that low maintenance 3 pt shooter, but they definitely could use another one).  i feel that they need to consolidate melton, anderson, and jackson with my preference to keep a max of 2 out of those 3 (deanthony and kyle).  they are shooting a disgusting 27%, 20%, and 18% from 3 this year, respectively.  dillon and grayson are the only wings who are shooting >= 35% from 3 on the year.  tyus started off slow but both he and ja are at 38% on low but efficient volume.  PGs are doing just fine.