Sign in to follow this  
GoGrizz!

Why the trade with Miami is a bad trade.

The best ability is availability. Justise Winslow hasn't played in roughly 150 games since entering the league. I don't like that. The contract extension to Dillon Brooks is well deserved, I can't fault our front office for that at all. But I can fault our front office for the trade with Miami. First, Miami doesn't have a first round pick to offer, because Oklahoma City has that pick. With that being said, Miami fleeced Memphis by adding two expiring contracts, two additions (Crowder and Hill) for three subtractions (Johnson, Waiters, and Winslow) when it comes to Money.

Before the Dillon Brooks contract extension, the Grizzlies set at $57 Million in payroll for the 2020-2021 season, which would be 29th in the NBA. With his extension, the Grizzlies are sitting at $68 million with payroll for the 2020-2021 season, which is 29th in the NBA.

Assuming James Johnson (32) accepts his $16 Million dollar player option that he has, Justise Winslow has a $13 million dollar contract, and Dion Waiters has a $12.6 contracts for next season.

That's an additional $41 million dollars for a player that is not the same since he's been a Grizzly, an major injury prone player, and a guy with major off the court issues. That increases the payroll to $109 Million for the 2020-2021 season, which is tied for 15th in the NBA. There goes your free agent spending this offseason.

The Grizzlies did Miami a huge favor, while the Heat didn't return the favor back.

It’s not about the FA market next season. The FO obviously doesn’t intend to spend money in FA next season. Waiters and Johnson are expiring next season and will probably be used as trade chips in 2021.

When healthy, Winston will be a great fit at the SF. This FO has shown that they are pretty diligent and obviously doesn’t seem to think there’s long term concerns with his health. It’s not about this season but the future. I’m glad they are sticking with the long term outlook.

I think you're overthinking this.  Correct me if I'm missing something here, but by my understanding the Grizzlies are essentially trading having cap space this offseason (in a poor FA class) for having cap space in the next offseason (in a great FA class) in exchange for being able to swap an inactive 36 year old Iguodala for a promising 23 year old replacement.  What's not to like about that?

What were they gonna do with the caproom? They are taking a chance on Winslow. In 16 months Johnson/Waiters will be afterthoughts. They will be free agents and possibly out the league. If Winslow succeeds and is healthh, its a big win. If not you only gave up some vets that had no future. 

39 minutes ago, Dwash said:

What were they gonna do with the caproom? They are taking a chance on Winslow. In 16 months Johnson/Waiters will be afterthoughts. They will be free agents and possibly out the league. If Winslow succeeds and is healthh, its a big win. If not you only gave up some vets that had no future. 

Yeah, I think we were all getting a little greedy when we heard last night about the Iggy for Winslow deal.  Jae & Solo were great vets for the young guys, but their on the court contributions were not that great.

I really believe in Winslow he is a lot  like Jae but has more potential.Dieng could easily be flip at any moment .

The only problem I see is Waiters  which is just dead money

53 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

The best ability is availability. Justise Winslow hasn't played in roughly 150 games since entering the league. I don't like that. The contract extension to Dillon Brooks is well deserved, I can't fault our front office for that at all. But I can fault our front office for the trade with Miami. First, Miami doesn't have a first round pick to offer, because Oklahoma City has that pick. With that being said, Miami fleeced Memphis by adding two expiring contracts, two additions (Crowder and Hill) for three subtractions (Johnson, Waiters, and Winslow) when it comes to Money.

Before the Dillon Brooks contract extension, the Grizzlies set at $57 Million in payroll for the 2020-2021 season, which would be 29th in the NBA. With his extension, the Grizzlies are sitting at $68 million with payroll for the 2020-2021 season, which is 29th in the NBA.

Assuming James Johnson (32) accepts his $16 Million dollar player option that he has, Justise Winslow has a $13 million dollar contract, and Dion Waiters has a $12.6 contracts for next season.

That's an additional $41 million dollars for a player that is not the same since he's been a Grizzly, an major injury prone player, and a guy with major off the court issues. That increases the payroll to $109 Million for the 2020-2021 season, which is tied for 15th in the NBA. There goes your free agent spending this offseason.

The Grizzlies did Miami a huge favor, while the Heat didn't return the favor back.

The Johnson for Dieng trade made it better for me. I agree with some of your points but quite honestly, I don't think they saw anybody they would have spent money on this off-season. So they would have been sitting with a ton of money and nobody to spend it on other than overpaying mediocre players. i have no problem with this because we become players in the 2021 free agent class. 

Depending on what Melton gets paid we should have around $30m in cap space in 2021, that has to be more useful than having it this year, or the expirings may be worth more in next years market. I didn't love taking on so much money but I think it was the right call.

OK, serious question.  How long has Winslow been out with his back injury, and what is his timetable to return to action?  Does anyone know?

9 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

OK, serious question.  How long has Winslow been out with his back injury, and what is his timetable to return to action?  Does anyone know?

My brother is a Heat fan and he saw reports that Pat and Spo said he was ready to play now but Winslow and his trainers said otherwise.

Part of that is why they traded him the injury's have been very frustrating for both the Heat and Justice.

We got Dieng for Johnson, which fixes our distinct lack of depth at C. An injury or suspension to JV or Jaren meant we only had one big. Now we have two. 

Waiters is significantly better then Marko. Winslow could be what Iggy would've been for us, or just a better version of Jae. We got bell as well (not in that trade, but oh well) for an injured Caboclo. And we didn't give up a single pick, other than a swap of picks. 

Just now, costarica2 said:

My brother is a Heat fan and he told Pat and Spo said he was ready to play now but Winslow and his trainers said otherwise.

I'm having a bit of a hard time with this sentence.

6 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

I really believe in Winslow he is a lot  like Jae but has more potential.Dieng could easily be flip at any moment .

The only problem I see is Waiters  which is just dead money

We get a lot of salary back and didnt get a pick? I dont understand why they did that, they must value Winslow a lot. I like Dieng as a 4th big, and with one year in the contract it is not bad at all. Giving Bell another chance its ok, but Waiters is a terrible player to get in this deal. He is not that bad, but we probably wont keep Melton and Josh now that we got him.

7 minutes ago, cdp said:

Name one free agent we could get better than Winslow for 13 mill. Go head.

One that plays in games. Winslow's career high, not career total, career high PER is 12.8. Stop acting like we got a future all star.

Everyone keeps saying we weren't going to sign anyone. It is more than that. How did we get Iggy to begin with? By having cap room when another team needed to desperately create some. That's the missed opportunity, even if you think  we could never sign anyone.

1 minute ago, KyleB said:

I'm having a bit of a hard time with this sentence.

Basically the Heat team doctors said he was ready to play .....and Winslow doctors said  he was not.

1 minute ago, lsugrizzfan said:

One that plays in games. Winslow's career high, not career total, career high PER is 12.8. Stop acting like we got a future all star.

Everyone keeps saying we weren't going to sign anyone. It is more than that. How did we get Iggy to begin with? By having cap room when another team needed to desperately create some. That's the missed opportunity, even if you think  we could never sign anyone.

But there's not really anyone that teams are going to desperately clear money to sign this year, next year there is.

5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

We got Dieng for Johnson, which fixes our distinct lack of depth at C. An injury or suspension to JV or Jaren meant we only had one big. Now we have two. 

Waiters is significantly better then Marko. Winslow could be what Iggy would've been for us, or just a better version of Jae. We got bell as well (not in that trade, but oh well) for an injured Caboclo. And we didn't give up a single pick, other than a swap of picks. 

I like Dieng/Waiters/Bell more than the Winslow part of the deal. All 3 are good fits at least until the end of the year.

#BeatLA

4 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

All the big names are expected to stay put, there really isn't anyone out there that a team would give up picks to make room for.

I'm good with it, it might set us back a little, but hopefully better in the long run. Miami did get better today, and I have no problem with that.

Winslow is a championship level role player and a perfect fit with this group in every way. We’re building this thing piece by piece and this is another move made where the vision is clearly set on a title. 

We came out of this with a young elite level role player and the bad contracts we took on won’t affect our 2021 cap space, which is clearly when we want it.

Can't make it through the trade deadline without someone completely misinterpreting the deal and judging as bad because of it

2 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Can't make it through the trade deadline without someone completely misinterpreting the deal and judging as bad because of it

I think it was a fair opinion, lets hope he is wrong.

I think people are framing this as *this trade is bad if Winslow isn't great*. I don't even think that's true. We weren't going to use our cap room next season anyway and we have as much depth as we've ever had. We still maintain 2 expiring for next year. The only meaningful value loss is crowder/Hill, which is significant. But on paper we have better players.