Grizz&Grind

Jordan Bell to Memphis

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Think about what this team looked like a little over a year ago. Gasol and Conley were the stars. Kyle Anderson was supposed to be a mainstay but was injured. Jaren Jackson was about to join Dillon on the injured list. It wasn't that long ago this franchise looked in total disarray. 

Today they are among the most talked about teams in the league and are competing for a playoff spot. What a wild trip it has been.  

So true. It's like the Good Witch of the East waved her Magic Wand over us.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He played Center for the Warriors championship run tho.   Great rebounder, finisher,  and defender - great fit for our athletic fast paced style.    

Have you heard about Draymond Green?

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Think about what this team looked like a little over a year ago. Gasol and Conley were the stars. Kyle Anderson was supposed to be a mainstay but was injured. Jaren Jackson was about to join Dillon on the injured list. It wasn't that long ago this franchise looked in total disarray. 

Today they are among the most talked about teams in the league and are competing for a playoff spot. What a wild trip it has been.  

Looked up what the 2/5/19 lineup was vs Spurs (pre Gasol trade)

Starters: Conley, Gasol, Kyle Anderson, Garrett Temple, JJJ

Reserves who played: JaM, Jevon, Justin Holiday, Dillon Brooks, Noah, Rabb

-Several players dealt that next day-

2/7/19 lineup was vs. OKC.

Starters: Conley, Julian Washburn, JJJ, Ivan Rabb, Justin Holiday

Reserves who played: Bruno, Yuta, Jevon.

Both those games were about 20 point losses.  I'm honestly surprised that that Spurs game was such a blowout, but I think a couple of those guys knew the results didn't matter to them.

5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Looked up what the 2/5/19 lineup was vs Spurs (pre Gasol trade)

Starters: Conley, Gasol, Kyle Anderson, Garrett Temple, JJJ

Reserves who played: JaM, Jevon, Justin Holiday, Dillon Brooks, Noah, Rabb

-Several players dealt that next day-

2/7/19 lineup was vs. OKC.

Starters: Conley, Julian Washburn, JJJ, Ivan Rabb, Justin Holiday

Reserves who played: Bruno, Yuta, Jevon.

Both those games were about 20 point losses.  I'm honestly surprised that that Spurs game was such a blowout, but I think a couple of those guys knew the results didn't matter to them.

That Spurs game was 1/5/19, not  2/5/19.  2/5/19 we played the T-Wolves with basically the same guys as the OKC game on 2/7/19.  The Knicks game in NYC on 2/3/19 was Marc's last game in a Grizzlies uniform.  Something seemed funny to me about that first lineup.

Will Bell see a lot of the floor or is he a project?

53 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

Will Bell see a lot of the floor or is he a project?

I’m not sure he’s going to get a lot of minutes. He projects as a career bench player so unless he shows some promise in practice or limited minutes I suspect he’ll just be an end of the rotation guy.

I double checked and he’s in his second contact, so UFA at the end of the season. Not sure the FO has long term plans for him.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:21 PM, TimBC said:

Bell   6'8"  224   vs  Caboclo  6'9" 218 .... hmm, I say, why bother? Oh, Goo-gle ... 

2017 Combine: ".. flying around on defense while also showing a budding offensive skill set.  He continued to stand out in the athletic testing, particularly in the lane agility and shuttle run drills, both of which are typically dominated by guards.  His shuttle run time of 2.83 was fourth overall, just six tenths of a second behind the top score held by Frank Jackson.  He also posted a lane agility time of 10.63 seconds, which would be the third best time per our database of any power forward drafted, trailing only Joel Bolomboy and Quincy Acy.  Bell's do it all defensive and rebounding style of play has definitely played well at the Combine - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Bell-70316/ ©DraftExpress

Okey-dokey, I'm liking this. 

But really - why did the two teams want to do this one? 

Maybe because Houston unloaded Capela and they are thinking about trying Bruno at C?

I was thinking back to where I had read a lot about Bell and it was actually the in-depth breakdown of Brandon Clarke as a prospect. Take a look at this article if you haven't (basically comes out grading Clarke as being able to become a rich man's Jordan Bell, which it seems like he's already accomplished/accomplishing):

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/18/draft-notes-easy-case-brandon-clarke/

10 hours ago, GameOn said:

Maybe because Houston unloaded Capela and they are thinking about trying Bruno at C?

That's what I think.

Capela has never struck me as a terribly high BBIQ guy.  Just athletic with length.  Bruno sort of fits that mold.

8 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

That's what I think.

Capela has never struck me as a terribly high BBIQ guy.  Just athletic with length.  Bruno sort of fits that mold.

Bruno has more shooting range.

Maybe a bit more agile to defend the perimeter, too.

I can definitely see why they took a shot at Bruno.  

The Rockets are going ALL IN on SUPER SMALL BALL -- but not really.

After watching some of Oregon and GS highlights I see a role for him. He could be a DA or Jam for us, I hope he works on his 3s and brings energy of the bench. He, Winslow, Dillon and Clarke will be really important defense on the forward position.