WVgrizz

Justise Winslow to MEMPHIS

It's apparently official.

Memphis gets Dion Waiters according to Shams Charania. No other details released yet but I suspect it will go down this way:

MEM: Winslow, Waiters and Olynyk/Johnson (one of the two)

MIA: Iguodala, Crowder and Hill

They could just be stacking expirings to flip next trade deadline. Thats what I think it could be. They decided it was no use having cap space in this weak offseason with no one making moves. Next February you got two deals with teams trying to clear space and a deep draft to get a pick attached. 

Waiters and Winslow could be great additions and James Johnson's best days were when he played for the Grizzlies. Personally I'd prefer Olynyk as I believe he fits the Grizzlies new offense better but I trust the FO. They have done a fantastic job so far. Who am I to question them? 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It's apparently official.

Memphis gets Dion Waiters according to Shams Charania. No other details released yet but I suspect it will go down this way:

MEM: Winslow, Waiters and Olynyk/Johnson (one of the two)

MIA: Iguodala, Crowder and Hill

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=w2qvtnv

Iggy + Crowder + Solo  for Winslow + Waiters + Olynk works in trade machine 

Send Waiters on the Parsons/Iggy vacation plan and Olynk gets PT when Jonas needs to rest. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=w2qvtnv

Iggy + Crowder + Solo  for Winslow + Waiters + Olynk works in trade machine 

Send Waiters on the Parsons/Iggy vacation plan and Olynk gets PT when Jonas needs to rest. 

I wouldn't ship Waiters just yet. He is capable of spreading the court better than anyone else on the roster with his range. 

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

They could just be stacking expirings to flip next trade deadline. Thats what I think it could be. They decided it was no use having cap space in this weak offseason with no one making moves. Next February you got two deals with teams trying to clear space and a deep draft to get a pick attached. 

That makes some sense to me.  If that's the case, would Olynyk or Johnson give us a better chance to land a future pick in a trade?  Just by age, I would guess Olynyk would be the better choice for Grizzlies.

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

eNDdgklW_bigger.jpg

Miami has agreed to trade Justise Winslow, Dion Waiters and James Johnson to Memphis for Andre Iguodala, Solomon Hill and Jae Crowder, league sources tell ESPN. No picks in the deal.

No picks? Ok, now I'm a bit baffled.

Hmmm.  Well ... I love it less than a straight up Iggy for Winslow, but I don't hate it.  Guess that's a pretty even trade.

19 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I saw his game log was like 3 games this year???

He's been in the doghouse in Miami. He should be rested and willing to contribute when he gets here. Memphis is reclamation city for a lot of players. 

5 minutes ago, pjs said:

That makes some sense to me.  If that's the case, would Olynyk or Johnson give us a better chance to land a future pick in a trade?  Just by age, I would guess Olynyk would be the better choice for Grizzlies.

They would just be expiring contracts in the eyes of whoever were to trade for them, so I don't think either one would have any more value than the other.

Much more meh about this trade now. Kind of dependent on what they're able to do with Waiters and Johnson before next year's trade deadline.

Just now, fanboyslim said:

No picks? Ok, now I'm a bit baffled.

Im not.   Iggy killed his trade value. 

DAL deal wasn't real once they started losing home court.   Houston getting out of race killed it.   Us becoming a legit 8th seed and facing Lakers or Clippers meant they were no longer viable trade partners.   Not to mention there assets aren't good.  Winslow is much better prospect over Kuzma, Harkless and Robinson.   

Also much better sending Iggy and JC, Solo to the East where we don't have to really face them.   Also pretty safe bet nobody wanted Solo and Crowder wasn't getting 1rst rd pick.   

Winslow at his salary is much better gamble than overpaying Harris.   We have Josh Jackson as insurance for Winslow - so can afford to bring him along slowly.  

Not to mention Dillon turning into a real scorer changed our needs bigtime.    No need to overpay for guys that has same potential as Dillon.  

This was probably the original trade. We got excited thinking the Heat were trading Winslow for Iggy but the whole time they were also requiring us to get rid of those bad deals.  Tried to flip the bad deals into Gallo but it didnt happen.

Oh well, we werent doing anything with the cap space anyway. Nothing shaking in 2020. Guess the only bad part is listening to a few irrational fans complain all year about James Johnson and Waiters "making all that money to do nothing" as if them being there or not really changes the outlook of this team. 

Just now, cdp said:

We're not keeping Johnson

Who told you that? 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Oh well, we werent doing anything with the cap space anyway. Nothing shaking in 2020. Guess the only bad part is listening to a few irrational fans complain all year about James Johnson and Waiters "making all that money to do nothing" as if them being there or not really changes the outlook of this team. 

and as if the fan is paying the salary personally.    We know James Johnson can be a useful player.    Waiters is the only issue.