Kevin B Moses

The official Hot take thread

Recommended Posts

Hot take #1: We need Jae’s leadership, but on the court we’re better off without him. 
 

Hot take #2: We’ve been feasting on an easy schedule and good conditions (no injuries, guys out for teams we’ve played) so we’re not a legitimate contender for a playoff spot. 
 

Hot take #3: Our ability to figure out Brandon’s role on this team will determine our team’s ceiling and define TJ’s legacy as a Grizzlies coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Hot take #1: We need Jae’s leadership, but on the court we’re better off without him. 
 

Hot take #2: We’ve been feasting on an easy schedule and good conditions (no injuries, guys out for teams we’ve played) so we’re not a legitimate contender for a playoff spot. 
 

Hot take #3: Our ability to figure out Brandon’s role on this team will determine our team’s ceiling and define TJ’s legacy as a Grizzlies coach. 

Good hot takes......

I especially like #3 because I feel as if Brandon is under-utilized.  However if you over use him in the wrong role, it would be ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Good hot takes......

I especially like #3 because I feel as if Brandon is under-utilized.  However if you over use him in the wrong role, it would be ugly.

It's not that hard. Just play him 30 minutes/game. He can play with JJJ and Jonas since BC and JJJ can both space the floor and he can play the 4 with JJJ in a small lineup. what's so hard here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

It's not that hard. Just play him 30 minutes/game. He can play with JJJ and Jonas since BC and JJJ can both space the floor and he can play the 4 with JJJ in a small lineup. what's so hard here?

Assuming we either trade Crowder or put him on the bench we would start our “big lineup” of Ja/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren/Jonas with our smaller bench lineup featuring Tyus/Melton/Josh on the perimeter with Jae at the 4. So assuming no new players either Bruno or Kyle at the 5 with the second unit.  

Ja/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren/Jonas would be a nice “fab five”.  Bench mob would need an upgrade at the 5 but Tyus with Melton, Josh, and Crowder would be solid.  

With those rotations you would just need an extra big (backup center) and an extra shooter (preferably at the 3).  IF we address those two needs at the deadline and in free agency then we would actually need to look at drafting a power forward.  So once Jaren or Jonas sits you can bring in a Big who can complement either guy (assuming you start Clarke at the 3).  ... Xavier Tillman might be the best prospect for us as a 4 or even a small ball 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 4:10 PM, srmjr23 said:

Dillon Brooks deserves consideration for MIP. Maybe Ingram should win, but Brooks is classic MIP candidate/

Dillion Brooks is proving me wrong , and I,m HAPPY to say that  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Assuming we either trade Crowder or put him on the bench we would start our “big lineup” of Ja/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren/Jonas with our smaller bench lineup featuring Tyus/Melton/Josh on the perimeter with Jae at the 4. So assuming no new players either Bruno or Kyle at the 5 with the second unit.  

Ja/Dillon/Clarke/Jaren/Jonas would be a nice “fab five”.  Bench mob would need an upgrade at the 5 but Tyus with Melton, Josh, and Crowder would be solid.  

With those rotations you would just need an extra big (backup center) and an extra shooter (preferably at the 3).  IF we address those two needs at the deadline and in free agency then we would actually need to look at drafting a power forward.  So once Jaren or Jonas sits you can bring in a Big who can complement either guy (assuming you start Clarke at the 3).  ... Xavier Tillman might be the best prospect for us as a 4 or even a small ball 5.

clarke at the SF (especially starting SF) is an absolutely terrible idea and weakens the bench.  he needs to be in the paint and rim running/defending at the 4 position.  the answer is to start ja/melton/dillon/jaren/JV with tyus/allen/josh/clarke off the bench.  melton/josh on the floor together at SG/SF is a terrible shooting combo.  melton/dillon and allen/josh are combos where at least one guy (dillon and allen) are shooting threats.  jae needs to play a very minimal role (absolutely no more than 10-12 min/game) in favor of the young guys if he is to stay on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo HOT TAKE  - BEST FRONT OFFICE IN GRIZZTORY???
 

So, in total for Mike Conley, the Grizzlies have received: Brandon Clarke De'Anthony Melton Josh Jackson Jae Crowder Grayson Allen Justise Winslow likely 2022 Utah 1st likely 2024 Golden State 1st 2 Phoenix 2nds still TBD with Crowder and Hill, but ****

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another hot take if the Oklahoma City thunder giveaway Danilo gallinari to the heat the grizzlies have a good chance of catching that team and I bet Chris Paul is just loving that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Another hot take if the Oklahoma City thunder giveaway Danilo gallinari to the heat the grizzlies have a good chance of catching that team and I bet Chris Paul is just loving that.

Jae and Hill might have something to say about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Another hot take if the Oklahoma City thunder giveaway Danilo gallinari to the heat the grizzlies have a good chance of catching that team and I bet Chris Paul is just loving that.

KP broke his nose tonight so we might have a chance to catch dallas and okc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot Takes UPDATE:

Ja-nuary went well!!!  Zionruary might be a thing... but I STILL think Ja has a few more gears. 

#GRIZZRUARY

The two LaLaLand teams are trying to avoid the Grizzlies and Pelicans like the plague.  Like, "Jaws" and "Jaws 2".  Trying to fend off King Kong and Godzilla at the same time.  

Zion and Ja might be the best 1 and 1a in a draft since at least Jordan/Hakeem in 1984.  When I was doing draft research the 1961 draft looked applicable.  Oscar Robertson at 1 and Jerry West at 2.  Two ICONS.  The BEST TWO GUARDS in league history up until Magic (then Jordan) showed up.  So... the Zion/Ja or Ja/Zion draft could end up like that -- and the '61 draft really tailed off.

I would probably put Ja/Zion over Trae/Luka at this point.  More upside, more athleticism, more electricity although all 4 hopefully turn into all-time studs.

The "win total prediction" race between me and KBM (and a few others) should be fun!!! What does the winner get?  A pony?  What does second place get? A set of steak knives?

... just like I said, Seth Greenberg called Ja Morant the "Patrick Mahomes" of pro basketball.  

College basketball is DOWN.  Maybe DOWN for the COUNT.  

Jalen Green or BUST for the Tigers...

The draft looks ... interesting...  tough draft.  One that FO and scout types have to do their HOMEWORK.  

We look to be in an IDEAL spot (40ish with the Suns pick).  Might be a draft where the "sleepers" picked late end up better than the guys at the top.

Did you guys see Matt Mitchell's dunk last night??? THAT was a DUNK!!!  Dunked and got the win -- San Diego State is running the table at the moment!!!

 

Here's my HOT hot take: Matt Mitchell is now NUMBER ONE on my Draft Board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan and Hakeem were 3 and 1 in the draft not 1 and 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Jordan and Hakeem were 3 and 1 in the draft not 1 and 2. 

Yeah.  

Shows how good Hakeem was that he was taken ahead of MJ and it wasn’t perceived as some major draft blunder.  

So, Jordan was 1 with Hakeem as 1a.  That is why Bowie is a famous all time bust — cuz he was taken ahead of Jordan. There has actually been a lot of top picks that had as bad or worse careers than Bowie but none were taken ahead of Jordan.

i think ‘61 was the only draft I saw where the BEST guy went one and the second best guy went TWO but you could easily flip Big O/West. I mean the two best non-bigs in NBA history until Bird/Magic/MJ showed up.  Then the fall off after those two studs was stark — Lenny Wilkens and Satch Sanders a few picks later then nothing.  

2020 might be a more normal draft. Not as bad as some think.... I actually think Wiseman at least is a solid/good or even great prospect.   But I am gonna go out on a limb here and put Matt Mitchell at 1.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Hot take......playoffs start tonight!

Basically!

Bracket Buster Wednesday!

#BubbleWatch

#StayTunedForMarchMadness

#GonnaDoMoreDraftResearchOnMattMitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Sam Bowie, didn't even have to look it up. Portland?

Bingo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now