Kevin B Moses

The official Hot take thread

Is kyle better for our defense and crowder better for our offense or did the nugs just have a bad shooting night? Or is it just a familiarity thing?

With kyle starting we held the nugs to under 100 points a game something haven't done to any team since December 26 last year, to okc.

But we also scored way under our average as well.

What gives? Does kyle slow us down, are we more easy to defend when he is on the floor with the starters?

Need a bigger sample size. On a side note, Dillon's sample size of hot shooting is getting bigger by the game. Despite his 3-5 stupid shots a game, he is winning me over.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Is kyle better for our defense and crowder better for our offense or did the nugs just have a bad shooting night? Or is it just a familiarity thing?

With kyle starting we held the nugs to under 100 points a game something haven't done to any team since December 26 last year, to okc.

What gives? Does kyle slow us down, are we more easy to defend when he is on the floor with the starters?

Kyle is typically a drag on the offense but is a tremendous bump to defense.  

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612763/lineups-advanced/

Ja+DB+Crowder+Jaren+Jonas      113.6 offrtg  110.5 defrtg   +3.1 netrtg

Ja+DB+SloMo+Jaren+Jonas      100. offrtg  86. defrtg    +14 netrtg

That is a low offensive rating no doubt due to SloMo lack of shooting ability and scoring period.    But his defense is legit and so is his passing.    However, that low offensive rating isn't gonna cut it long-term.   If he wants to be a starter then he needs to become a real offensive threat.    I think you are correct that we become easier to defend when Kyle is on the floor.   That's why Melton is a better option to start due to his scoring ability.   

In 2man lineup data; Kyle is a bad match with Crowder, Jonas, and Hill.   Which are guys that either aren't scorers/shooters or need spacing.     

Kyle isn't the ideal starter or player for Ja Jaren Jonas but what his positive impact does show is that his skillset is needed.      Find a defensive-versatile wing that can playmake and space the floor.      Luckily we have 2 guys on the roster that have potential to be that type of player in Melton and Josh Jackson.  

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Mentioned this in the game thread but Denver is not only in the middle of a tough stretch, they've been dealing with several injuries including guys just returning to lineup.  They played Houston twice and the Pelicans within the past week.

After Grizz game, they face Utah and Bucks.

Just last week the Grizzlies lost handily to Pelicans and look completely out of it from the beginning against the Celtics.  In the NBA, it just happens.  So I don't know how much you can take from one game.

My other hot take is that Taylor will now lean back onto playing Marko again to the detriment of our winning ways.   

IT is no coincidence that our record changed dramatically once Marko minutes were given to Melton.      We are still a very young team and our success still hinges on the fact that the last couple of months our rotation has included nothing but legit NBA players.     Marko is unfortunately NOT a NBA player.   He needs more time in G League to develop and acclimate. 

I will be super ticked if he gets lionshare of minutes tonight and Josh doesn't get a look.    Josh may not have lived up to his lottery status but in his 2 yrs in league he has shown that he IS an ACTUAL NBA player.     

It would be unfortunate that it consistently takes injuries for the proven better players to get minutes.     Melton had already shown in his time in PHO that he was a better player than both Grayson and Marko.   IT was only injury that got him in rotation.   Hopefully Taylor adjusts quicker this time. 

My hot take:

Ja Morant should be in All-Star game because team success should matter and he's a huge part of the Grizzlies sitting in 8th when all forecasted them to be last in West.  With Luka and Harden already making it, there are 4 more spots.

Chris Paul should make it before him and Donovan Mitchell.  If Dame makes it in, I'd have no issue, but one guard from a losing team is enough.  He should be in before Devin Booker or Russell Westbrook which are other names being thrown around.

(I would say no chance he ends up an All-Star, but I also would have said no chance to the team being in a playoff race).

51 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

My hot take:

Ja Morant should be in All-Star game because team success should matter and he's a huge part of the Grizzlies sitting in 8th when all forecasted them to be last in West.  With Luka and Harden already making it, there are 4 more spots.

Chris Paul should make it before him and Donovan Mitchell.  If Dame makes it in, I'd have no issue, but one guard from a losing team is enough.  He should be in before Devin Booker or Russell Westbrook which are other names being thrown around.

(I would say no chance he ends up an All-Star, but I also would have said no chance to the team being in a playoff race).

I've got those guards basically log-jammed together.  Based on All Star Game history I think you gotta go with CP3.  Helping a team win plus he is an established vet.

The other guys?  If you wanna go with a STAR yeah you could go with Ja.  Here are some juicy stats about our precocious prodigies:

Since Ja Morant returned from his back injury... Morant leads the entire NBA in 4th quarter FG% at 60.4%. He's also tied for 4th in scoring. Incredible. By the way, Jaren Jackson, Jr. is 3rd in 4th quarter FG% at 59.5% (since 12/9, min 10+ GP, >2.5 fga/4th)
11:51 PM · Jan 28, 2020·TweetDeck

... Hard to read but Ja is basically the OPPOSITE of an empty stats guy.  He gets HIS in money time.  Gets other guys going too.  If the media wants to make the ROY a horse race between Ja and Zion, then MY hot take is that there is more separation in the ROY Race -- Ja winning but guys like Herro/Nunn/MPJ hanging really tough, than there is among the secondary MVP names like Ben Simmons or Jimmy Butler or maybe even Jokic and OUR OWN Ja Morant.  ... I don't think there have been a ton more better players this year than Ja.  Quarterbacking a surging young squad into the thick of a playoff race should be worth something.  ... I think that you would have to have him rated higher than a Brad Beal or a Trae Young at this point in the season (although both guards are really good).  IMPACT STATS in "winning time" PLUS flash/sizzle/style to go with the steak and substance SHOULD be worth A LOT of All Star votes.  The West guard core is usually stacked, and it is stacked once again this year.  Still like Ja though maybe with only CP3 as a reserve guard ahead of him.  

Other hot takes:

JV/Jaren is a sneaky awesome twin towers duo -- and could be VERY hard to stop in the playoffs.  

This playoff chase with THIS squad is fascinating!  Must see TV.  A little bit (or a LOT) of SHOWTIME to go with our patented GRIT 'n GRIND.  

Still want to play the Lakers in the first round.  Can the franchise recover psychologically?  NBA's Camelot ended.  Our youngsters and our brand of ball is SURGING.  Is there gonna be a passing of the torch?  

Looks like Zion/Doncic/Ja looks to be the future "big 3" of the NBA -- of course, Adam Silver and Co. would be THRILLED if other young phenoms entered the chat, but, wow, for my money I would think that I could easily see JA as THE main guy at some point.

Our core is doing well, and at times looks unstoppable.  Would love to experiment with Brandon Clarke at the 3 (even if he doesn't start) to go along with our Four Horsemen (Ja/Jaren/Jonas/Dillon).  Looks like the making of an all-time core, or at least one of the MOST FUN NBA cores in years.

Iggy is worth THREE protected late second round picks.  No more.  No less. The Mavs, in my opinion, could use him.  If they don't make a trade for him they are stubborn.  I could ALSO see him helping the South Beach Vice -- I could ALSO see Iggy resigning there, maybe they put together an ALT HEATLES squad this summer.

Oh, and college ball ain't the same since Zion/Ja/Tacko left the building.  Will college basketball recover?  Not really holding my breath....

That Suns' second rounder doesn't look so hot as the Suns continue to contend.  Oh well, we will still probably get a good player.  Markus Howard, Saddiq Bey, Xavier Tillman, Tres Tinkle, Nick Richards, and Udoka Azubuike interest me as sleeper types (who actually have a skill set) but I am not counting on most of those guys -- or ANY of those guys being there in the mid/late second round.  Jay Huff, Jericho Sims, DJ Jeffries, and Jarron Cumberland might be my SNEAKY DOUBLE DEEP SLEEPERS at this point.  Or, hey, just roll the dice on a tall, lanky Euro import shooter like Borisa Simanic.  And John Fulkerson will probably out perform HALF the players drafted in the two rounds (although maybe that's not saying much in this draft).

... we can probably start scouting for 2021 anyway....

Another Hot Take

This will be the most fun season of the new decade.   Simply because we had super low expectations and everything was an unknown.   That will no longer be the case going forward.   

19 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Another Hot Take

This will be the most fun season of the new decade.   Simply because we had super low expectations and everything was an unknown.   That will no longer be the case going forward.   

I think it might be the FOURTH most fun season of the new decade.

6 hours ago, Zappastache said:

🔥Brandon Clarke will be a hall of fame player🔥

Happy to say Brandon Clarke will be better then  Darrell Arthur

8 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Need a bigger sample size. On a side note, Dillon's sample size of hot shooting is getting bigger by the game. Despite his 3-5 stupid shots a game, he is winning me over.

Dillon is averaging 16.0 points per game (40.0% from 3) this season.

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

Dillon is averaging 16.0 points per game (40.0% from 3) this season.

Ummmm ok. 16 ppg is solid starter material. His January numbers are borderline all star numbers. That’s all I’m saying. 

When I heart JV showed up on the board as JV's hype man, I thought he was crazy.

Now I think he was right all along. JV is my favorite player on this team. Ja is incredible, JJJ is great, Melton, Clarke, and Brooks are way better than expected, but JV is my favorite. 

When KMB said Dillon Brooks could get 20mil next season I thought he was crazy (actually I've always thought KMB was crazy)

I may be coming around on that one too. If we can keep him for 18 or less I'll be happy, if it takes 20 I guess I'd be OK with it.

1 hour ago, grizz09 said:

dillon's got a hot streak going, but no way in hell am i paying dude 20 mil per.

I would try to front-load the contract.

Looks like Ja, Jaren, Dillon and Clarke plus resigning Jonas along with some secondary rotation guys like Melton is gonna take pretty much all of our cap space (long-term).  We also have to factor in us still having Kyle and Tyus on our books.  SO, any additional free agent signing is gonna make this thing a tight fit (long-term).  I would just go with MLE guys and minimum level contract guys from here on out.

#CapSpaceIsKing

1 hour ago, grizz09 said:

dillon's got a hot streak going, but no way in hell am i paying dude 20 mil per.

If I said I'd be ok with a reasonable contract, it wouldn't be a hot take then now would it?

On 1/30/2020 at 4:19 PM, KyleB said:

If I said I'd be ok with a reasonable contract, it wouldn't be a hot take then now would it?

lol fair enough.  that's beyond hot, that's a burnt take.  15-17 mil per max (and even saying 17 is hurting my soul b/c that may still be too much).  a crazier take to me is joe mullinax on twitter saying he'd be ok w/ melton getting 40 mil if the contract is frontloaded.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, lions said:

Happy to say Brandon Clarke will be better then  Darrell Arthur

and both were drafted late 1 round

HOT TAKE!! 

Josh Jackson will be a starter by the end of this season and going into next season. Dude’s legit. 

1 hour ago, King Dork said:

HOT TAKE!! 

Josh Jackson will be a starter by the end of this season and going into next season. Dude’s legit. 

Agreed,  it's only one game but his size, handles, solid passing,  athleticism,  and defense will definitely help

On 1/29/2020 at 9:34 AM, Zappastache said:

🔥Brandon Clarke will be a hall of fame player🔥

Compared to James Ennis III (who we were "gifted a potential super-star" in)... maybe.

My other hot take:  Gravity and Avatar were horrible space movies and I still want my money back.

My other other hot take: "Bad Guy" from Billy Eyelash (or whatever her name is) is the worst song since "99 red balloons" in the 80's