The Stro Show

The Grizz have recalled Josh Jackson

I was slowly hoping Jackson would be our starting SF

3 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Don't you mean quit harassing "someone"?  :)

Image result for rolling on the floor laughing gif

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I was slowly hoping Jackson would be our starting SF

Now that we have Winslow i am totally good with him and  SloMo being our back ups.    I do want Josh to stick around on min as injury insurance tho. 

Winslow is basically the combination of them both.  Let's just hope his 3pt shooting comes along.  

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Now that we have Winslow i am totally good with him and  SloMo being our back ups.    I do want Josh to stick around on min as injury insurance tho. 

Winslow is basically the combination of them both.  Let's just hope his 3pt shooting comes along.  

We really just need his 3 point shooting to come back. He was shooting 37.5% on almost 4 attempts per game last year. If he can replicate that, we'll be in good shape. 

Just now, Rdk4121 said:

We really just need his 3 point shooting to come back. He was shooting 37.5% on almost 4 attempts per game last year. If he can replicate that, we'll be in good shape. 

Agreed.   I also think the fact that Ja can play off ball as a finisher/cutter will work great with Justise passing.    SloMo is just much better with the bench mob.   

I don't know where to post this but since we are talking about SFs anyone else impress with Yuta??He put on some weight(a little) and is a great defender who gets out and runs.

I think he deserve a look.

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

SloMo is just much better with the bench mob.   

Aren't we like 7-1 or something when he starts?

10 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Aren't we like 7-1 or something when he starts?

Yes but do you think they gave up all those assets for Justise Winslow to backup Kyle??    Besides look at the advanced stats and it shows he is much more productive with bench unit.   He isn't that great of a fit with starters offensively. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yes but do you think they gave up all those assets for Justise Winslow to backup Kyle??   

I would hope the team plays the players who produce wins together rather than being concerned about what was given up or where a person was drafted but that is not the way some people think. 

Besides look at the advanced stats and it shows he is much more productive with bench unit.   He isn't that great of a fit with starters offensively. 

Eight games is a pretty small set of numbers to make a judgement on. Kyle has played a majority of his games with the backups so it isn't that surprising that he performs better with the group he has the most chemistry with.  

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yes but do you think they gave up all those assets for Justise Winslow to backup Kyle??    Besides look at the advanced stats and it shows he is much more productive with bench unit.   He isn't that great of a fit with starters offensively. 

Of course he would be more productive with the bench unit, he isn't the 5th option with the bench unit like he is when playing with Ja, JJJ, JV, and Brooks on the floor. I think the fact that he can contribute without needing to get his makes him a perfect fit to play with those guys.

And Winslow plays better with the ball in his hands, which he has a better chance of with the second unit. You could make Winslow the number one option on the second unit.

@KyleB and @chipc3

We aren't talking about a small sample size tho.   The Ja DB SLoMo Jaren Jonas lineup is the second most used this season.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612763/lineups-advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=MIN&dir=1

It has Offrtg of 92.3 (putrid) and defense of 97.6(elite)  for netrtg of -5.3.       The Crowder lineup was a +6.4 netrtg.   

Tyus + Melton + SloMo + Brandon + Jaren  on a good sample size  has an Offrtg of 130.5  and defrtg of 92.5  for +38 netrtg.   Those are ridiculous numbers and the eyetest confirms it. 

Yes SloMo does nice winning things but he isn't a good match with starters.    His passing and defense are nice but his inability to space the floor hurts them.    Most of the time we see him  making positive plays he wasn't with the starters.    Reality is that SloMo isn't a great fit for Taylors system (Jonas isn't either) BUT in right lineups he can still be a positive (just like Jonas).  

Justise (when healthy) his floor is Jae Crowder so he will be a perfect fit with starters (team period).   Which is why FO took the gamble in the first place.   

The link isn't working so I can't follow your discussion. I thought we were talking about starting versus coming off the bench. I don't know how Justise will work with the starters. If I am not mistaken they have played very little together. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The link isn't working so I can't follow your discussion. I thought we were talking about starting versus coming off the bench. I don't know how Justise will work with the starters. If I am not mistaken they have played very little together. 

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612763/lineups-advanced/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=MIN&dir=1

I was posting stats from NBA.com you can go to Grizz lineup data and see my opinions are backed by the analytics. 

4 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Ideally, Winslow AND Slo Mo AND Josh EACH hit 1-3 from downtown every night.

We really only have 2 decent high-volume 3 point shooters at the moment (Jaren/Dillon) and we need our secondary wing players to step up.  Although Ja and Tyus should marginally increase their 3 point attempts.  

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I was posting stats from NBA.com you can go to Grizz lineup data and see my opinions are backed by the analytics. 

The most common lineup (Jonas, Crowder, Brooks, Jackson and Morant) has played together 413 minutes according to your statistics. The 2nd most common lineup (Jonas, Anderson, Brooks, Jackson and Morant) have played together for 96 minutes according to your stats. Do you not see a big difference in the two numbers? Do you think two 48 minute games (that's 96 minutes by the way) is comparable to 8.6 games played together? 

Your analytic analysis is flawed by the most common error when people use statistics. They and you are ignoring the law of large numbers. Statistics only make sense when the numbers are large. Small sets of numbers give out false readings. We have discussed this numerous times. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

The most common lineup (Jonas, Crowder, Brooks, Jackson and Morant) has played together 413 minutes according to your statistics. The 2nd most common lineup (Jonas, Anderson, Brooks, Jackson and Morant) have played together for 96 minutes according to your stats. Do you not see a big difference in the two numbers? Do you think two 48 minute games (that's 96 minutes by the way) is comparable to 8.6 games played together? 

Your analytic analysis is flawed by the most common error when people use statistics. They and you are ignoring the law of large numbers. Statistics only make sense when the numbers are large. Small sets of numbers give out false readings. We have discussed this numerous times. 

So let me get this straight you are arguing that the SECOND most used lineup of the season is too small of a sample-size to extrapolate any information from. 

Yep not gonna dive into this one with the person on medication.     

11 minutes ago, KyleB said:

The only stat I care about is wins and losses.

Don't disagree with this take.  I am just not ready to give SloMo "starting" majority of the credit for that.    Justise will be the starter when he is healthy.    Right now Kyle is better option to start over Josh Jackson for sure. 

Not sure if "Slo Mo starting" punches our ticket to the playoffs, but our closing lineup the other night of Ja/Dillon/Kyle/Clarke/Jaren played great, especially since Ja was in attack mode, Clarke hit a big 3, Jaren was active on the boards, and Kyle made plays and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Regarding Winslow, I would bring him along slowly, first as a key cog with our bench mob, and probably as our super-sub 6th man to end the regular season.  

If he is "better than Slo Mo" towards the end of the year.  If not, we should bring him off the bench.  No reason to mess with a good thing.

Our top bench mob then would be Tyus/Melton/Winslow/Carke/Dieng with Josh being the odd man out.  OR, maybe we have Dieng as our 6th man and first big off the bench.  Then you go with a small ball second string of Tyus/Melton/Josh/Winslow/Clarke.  That lineup may be lacking in size (and also perimeter shooting) but that should be a killer DEFENSIVE lineup with enough rebounding, and solid play making at 3 positions (at least).

... I could also see Yuta cutting into Josh's minutes, too.

Perhaps SloMo's numbers look so good using advanced stats is that the majority of the most efficient players are coming off the bench right now. Looking at a five man rotation can be deceiving. Look at how each individual player is performing using advanced statistics such as Win Score

Box Score Geeks has Brandon Clarke as the best WP48 player (.290) followed by Kyle Anderson (.224), Jonas Valanciunas (.198), De'Anthony Melton (.191) and Tyus Jones (.181). The bottom three players are Dillon Brooks (-.34), Jaren Jackson (-.92) and Josh Jackson (-1.11).

Anderson has played the majority of his minutes with the bench who are outproducing the starters so it only makes sense he would look better with the bench players and suffer when he is sacrificing his game for the less efficient players like Dillon and JJJ. 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Perhaps SloMo's numbers look so good using advanced stats is that the majority of the most efficient players are coming off the bench right now. Looking at a five man rotation can be deceiving. Look at how each individual player is performing using advanced statistics such as Win Score

Box Score Geeks has Brandon Clarke as the best WP48 player (.290) followed by Kyle Anderson (.224), Jonas Valanciunas (.198), De'Anthony Melton (.191) and Tyus Jones (.181). The bottom three players are Dillon Brooks (-.34), Jaren Jackson (-.92) and Josh Jackson (-1.11).

Anderson has played the majority of his minutes with the bench who are outproducing the starters so it only makes sense he would look better with the bench players and suffer when he is sacrificing his game for the less efficient players like Dillon and JJJ. 

Kyle was 6-0 as a starter before we lost with him in the opening lineup. Then he has been our starter since Jae got traded.  

I don’t think it is random.

Especially since we played very well (at least on defense, sharing the rock, and hauling in rebounds) with our Ja/Dillon/Kyle/Clarke/Jaren close-out lineup.  Would have been an even MORE deadly lineup if we had hit our fair share of 3’s (aside or a couple of clutch bombs from Ja and Clarke).  

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Kyle was 6-0 as a starter before we lost with him in the opening lineup. Then he has been our starter since Jae got traded.  

I don’t think it is random.

Especially since we played very well (at least on defense, sharing the rock, and hauling in rebounds) with our Ja/Dillon/Kyle/Clarke/Jaren close-out lineup.  Would have been an even MORE deadly lineup if we had hit our fair share of 3’s (aside or a couple of clutch bombs from Ja and Clarke).  

Well just remember the easy part of the schedule is behind the Grizzlies now. The road home is much more difficult. Things can look worse against tougher competition and not tell the whole story. I am sure some people will jump on a small set of outcomes and make dramatic proclamations but then turn around and once the numbers get larger have to change their opinions...again. 

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

Josh Jackson playing really well tonight. Hope I was wrong ab this guy.

He is getting better and better. He might be here to stay, as a 4th or 5th option on the wing, he can be pretty good for us.

Yep, he had a couple of nice scores and assists.  The first assist to BC in the paint was beautiful.  That second one in transition was nice too, though risky.  He was also active around the boards.

He is getting more comfortable and being aggressive. He knows he’s got consistent minutes if plays right especially on defense.