I❤️JV

Three trades that the Memphis Grizzlies could make before the deadline

I don't see any of those three trade scenario's happening.   The grizzlies trade piece is Iggy.   Iggy isn't going to want to play for a rebuild - situation, but a title contender.   

1 hour ago, Joey Crawford said:

I don't see any of those three trade scenario's happening.   The grizzlies trade piece is Iggy.   Iggy isn't going to want to play for a rebuild - situation, but a title contender.   

Screw what Iggy wants. Let some other team buy him out and let’s get what we can for him or let him waste an entire year sitting at home not playing for anyone.

30 minutes ago, Commadoor Sixty-four said:

Screw what Iggy wants. Let some other team buy him out and let’s get what we can for him or let him waste an entire year sitting at home not playing for anyone.

.....and don't forget getting healthy and what a blessing in disguise it would be because now he wakes up without any pain.

47 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

.....and don't forget getting healthy and what a blessing in disguise it would be because now he wakes up without any pain.

Lol. 

50 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

Lol

1 hour ago, Commadoor Sixty-four said:

I am not sure, but I think Iggy has a say in who he will play for; so he can say no to a trad that sends him to a rebuilding team.  

17 minutes ago, Joey Crawford said:

I am not sure, but I think Iggy has a say in who he will play for; so he can say no to a trad that sends him to a rebuilding team.  

Not likely.  If that were the case he would have nixed the trade that sent him to Memphis in the first place.

The only trade of these that is actually good for the Grizzlies is the Kelly Oubre deal, and that one is pushing it. These are bad.

The Oubre trade does make sense, but I doubt the Grizzlies will considered that deal. The only reason why it'll make sense is that Oubre is 24, but he'll be a free agent and I believe he'll get a lot of money when he becomes a free agent. I don't think the FA class will be strong that year.

The Grizzlies are 15th in team payroll across the league. Next year, the Grizzlies only owe players $57 million dollars, which is set for 29th in the league. 

The only two players that will be coming back next year that are currently free agents, are Dillon Brooks and DeAnthony Melton. 

If I am the Grizzlies, I'm not calling anyone at all. But if the phone rings, answer. Remember, we don't have to trade A.I., and even don't have to send him to Los Angeles. Could keep him and let him rot, or ship him to Milawukee or Toronto for picks. 

I'd skip all those trades except for the Oubre trade. I doubt they'd be willing to get rid of him though honestly. He's certainly as valuable as Brooks is to us. 

20 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

zing!

Those trades are trash.   Ive been reading the Suns fans take on Oubre and alot of them think he would be better as 6th man.   Its scary how similar they view Oubre to the way we view Dillon.     Honestly the SF i want from the Suns is Mikal Bridges.  He is the truest 3D player on their roster.  But no way we trade with Suns. 

I don't like any of those trades. Not even the Oubre trade, our primary backup at point plus a 1rst round pick is too much for a player like Oubre.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=u82hv6g

With Sacramento benching Buddy Hield, would they be willing to move off of him? In this scenario, Dallas would send a couple of seconds to Sacramento, and we could send the Utah first.

Dallas would get Iggy for 2 seconds and a players that doesn't really play.

Memphis would get another three point shooter to play SG and slide Dillon to SF. The shooting with Buddy, Dillon, and Jaren would be amazing. Not sure how good the defense would be, which would give me a little pause. It would cost us three guys who aren't even playing and taking on Dedmon's contract, which isn't as bad as it looks at first glance since the last year is only guaranteed for $1 million. Dedmon would essentially be an expiring going into next year, when a lot of teams would be trying to clear capspace for the 2021 free agent class.

Biggest questions are is Sacramento willing to move Buddy and could they get more than this? They'd be getting a first, two seconds, and cap relief. That would allow them to keep Bogdanovic. I'm not sure this is enough to excite them. But I would offer it and see what happens.

36 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=u82hv6g

With Sacramento benching Buddy Hield, would they be willing to move off of him? In this scenario, Dallas would send a couple of seconds to Sacramento, and we could send the Utah first.

Dallas would get Iggy for 2 seconds and a players that doesn't really play.

Memphis would get another three point shooter to play SG and slide Dillon to SF. The shooting with Buddy, Dillon, and Jaren would be amazing. Not sure how good the defense would be, which would give me a little pause. It would cost us three guys who aren't even playing and taking on Dedmon's contract, which isn't as bad as it looks at first glance since the last year is only guaranteed for $1 million. Dedmon would essentially be an expiring going into next year, when a lot of teams would be trying to clear capspace for the 2021 free agent class.

Biggest questions are is Sacramento willing to move Buddy and could they get more than this? They'd be getting a first, two seconds, and cap relief. That would allow them to keep Bogdanovic. I'm not sure this is enough to excite them. But I would offer it and see what happens.

I would love a Buddy Hield. First, is he really tradeable since he just signed am extension. I dont know the rules but I would imagine there is something in place that prevents you from extending him to a huge raise then using him in a trade at the much smaller rate of his last contract.

Secondly, Sac signed him to a beautiful declining contract. Dont see them moving him this soon.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I would love a Buddy Hield. First, is he really tradeable since he just signed am extension. I dont know the rules but I would imagine there is something in place that prevents you from extending him to a huge raise then using him in a trade at the much smaller rate of his last contract.

Secondly, Sac signed him to a beautiful declining contract. Dont see them moving him this soon.

There is the poison pill rule with extensions. That was the reason for making it a larger deal and including Dallas. Because Dallas with the Courtney Lee contract can take Iggy's bigger contract but give Sacramento the smaller Lee deal.

I'm with you that I am not sure Sac trades him. Only reason I think it's possible is because they benched him. You don't normally bench $20 million dollar guys. Also if they don't move off of some money, they are unlikely to be able to keep Bogdanovic. If they are starting Bogdanovic over Hield, it would seem they would prefer to keep Bogdanovic over Hield. This would let them move off Dedmon and Hield and actually receive assets. They'd always get assets for Hield. But they are going to have to pay someone to take Dedmon.

19 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

There is the poison pill rule with extensions. That was the reason for making it a larger deal and including Dallas. Because Dallas with the Courtney Lee contract can take Iggy's bigger contract but give Sacramento the smaller Lee deal.

I'm with you that I am not sure Sac trades him. Only reason I think it's possible is because they benched him. You don't normally bench $20 million dollar guys. Also if they don't move off of some money, they are unlikely to be able to keep Bogdanovic. If they are starting Bogdanovic over Hield, it would seem they would prefer to keep Bogdanovic over Hield. This would let them move off Dedmon and Hield and actually receive assets. They'd always get assets for Hield. But they are going to have to pay someone to take Dedmon.

I think he counts as his new salary for incoming teams but at his old salary for Sacramento which makes it really tough to trade before the summer, I don't know if the trade you proposed works though.

1 hour ago, UkGrizz said:

I think he counts as his new salary for incoming teams but at his old salary for Sacramento which makes it really tough to trade before the summer, I don't know if the trade you proposed works though.

It does. ESPN trade machine wouldn't approve it when it was just Sac and Memphis because of the poison pill. Once I expanded it out and got Sacramento taking back a whole lot less money, it worked.

44 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

It does. ESPN trade machine wouldn't approve it when it was just Sac and Memphis because of the poison pill. Once I expanded it out and got Sacramento taking back a whole lot less money, it worked.

That's clever. If we're confident Dedmon can turn it round then I kinda like the trade.

9 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

That's clever. If we're confident Dedmon can turn it round then I kinda like the trade.

I'm not. But his deal isn't as bad as I thought. It's $13.3m next year and the third year. However, that third year is only $1 million guaranteed. So essentially it would be an expiring next year. With many teams trying to clear cap space for 2021 offseason, it might actually be a value trade chip.

I think we need to wait before going after legit starters if it's going to cost us nice picks or tie-up salary . brooks, crowder, melton and maybe hill and Jackson should all be resigned . In a perfect world Iggy and Jackson suit up and that's or "big" trade maybe we could just move Bruno & gaduric, cash ,protected 2nds for an upgrade .maybe Kyle could be dealt if iggy and Jackson show up and perform.

We really have a lot of options and I hope the FO makes moves for the long term without moving anyone viewed as a long term piece or taking on salary and we have to let someone walk. One good thing is this FO sure doesn't mind buying guys out or making trades to get a l little flexibility like we did with Parsons and Miles.

Another point (because i am bored)  looks at these lineup data

Ja + Jaren + Brooks + Melton + Clarke      151.2 offrtg    97.6 defrtg  +53.7 netrtg     Mins: 19

Ja + Jaren + Brooks + SloMo + Jonas      105.2 offrtg    89.8 defrtg   +15.4 netrtg     Mins: 45

Ja + Jaren + Brooks + SloMo + Clarke      116.7 offrtg   96.3 defrtg   +20.4 netrtg     Mins:10 

This data shows me that the best match with  Dillon is a low usage defensive-minded secondary ballhandler.    As the data shows with either Melton or SloMO paired alongside Dillon is the missing ingredient.     Crowder is bad in that role because of how he and Dillon chuck too much and neither are playmakers.    Melton and Kyle basically have same skillsets except Melton is an offensive threat.  

Resigning Dillon is a no-brainer (so is Melton).  What this data shows me (and eye test) is that we don't really need to add another high-usage scorer to this mix.    If we make a trade it should be for a playmaking defensive-minded wing.    Hence why i think the best trade candidate is Justise Winslow.     We have enough scorers what we need is glue guys to bring it together.  IMHO that's what Melton and SloMo are High Level Glue Guys.   They keep the ball moving and don't step on the toes of the real stars (Ja Jaren to lesser extent Dillon).  

55 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

I think we need to wait before going after legit starters if it's going to cost us nice picks or tie-up salary . brooks, crowder, melton and maybe hill and Jackson should all be resigned . In a perfect world Iggy and Jackson suit up and that's or "big" trade maybe we could just move Bruno & gaduric, cash ,protected 2nds for an upgrade .maybe Kyle could be dealt if iggy and Jackson show up and perform.

We really have a lot of options and I hope the FO makes moves for the long term without moving anyone viewed as a long term piece or taking on salary and we have to let someone walk. One good thing is this FO sure doesn't mind buying guys out or making trades to get a l little flexibility like we did with Parsons and Miles.

FIFY