Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

ESPN accused of fat-shaming Zion Williamson during electric NBA debut

He's a public figure. If people want to say that he looks overweight, then that's fine with me. I'm surprised you read The Guardian, knowing your political persuasion.

41 minutes ago, GameOn said:

He's a public figure. If people want to say that he looks overweight, then that's fine with me. I'm surprised you read The Guardian, knowing your political persuasion.

The Guardian, ...is as left as the great AOC...

This is ridiculous. His weight is extremely relevant to his athletic ability/career. it's not like they're telling him trim down to look better. He's already had injuries and walks awkwardly. Dude could stand to lose some weight, for the betterment of his career.

BTW: Watching Zion the other night was some extremely entertaining basketball. Though the Pelicans fans chanted MVP for him when he scored he went on that run in the 4th. That's outrageous. They also booed when he was taken out. Gotta take the long view with Zion, especially if you ahve the opportunity to get a really great draft pick, with such a low possibility of making the playoffs this year.

25 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

The Guardian, ...is as left as the great AOC...

Haha, I was going to say it's a left of centre paper in the UK and our 'centre' is a long way left of the US.

12 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

This is ridiculous. His weight is extremely relevant to his athletic ability/career. it's not like they're telling him trim down to look better. He's already had injuries and walks awkwardly. Dude could stand to lose some weight, for the betterment of his career.

Somebody send the writer his participation trophy.  Or maybe a pacifier.

I'm so tired of the victimhood that is so prevalent nowadays.

This is ridiculous. Zion’s weight to body frame ratio has always been a point of contention. It doesn’t matter if he’s pure muscle, if his weight is too much for his ligaments and joints he’s going to have problems in the long run, and considering that he’s just come out of his second major injury it’s a very appropriate discussion to have.

A different question would be the tone used by JVG and Mark Jackson. I suspect the snark level was high.

By the way, if all the Guardian has to back  the alleged scandal is a few tweets from random guys (I love the guy who complains about “posting Zion’s weight as if it was a stat” - NBA players’ weight is routinely stated, you moron) maaaaybe this isn’t really a thing.