Sign in to follow this  
Blackwatch

"Three is better than two"

On NBA radio yesterday, there was a big uproar over an article about the Chicago Bulls player Lauri Markkanen and how his potential has been stunted by their analytics department. The argument is that Markkanen was a great all around player with multi-faceted offense. But, the analytics department with the Chicago Bulls have told him that they only good shot he should take is a three pointer, that the other types of shots he would take not "efficient" enough, so stop taking them, because "3 is better than 2". Markkanen is 7' 240lbs. with athleticism, hi BBall IQ, and great shooting touch. Why in the world would you want to tell someone that big and with so many tools and attributes to only take 3 point shots? 

I post that here to note that I believe this is similarly happening with the Grizz. The young players are being told that the new NBA is all about 3's or drives to the lane. No post ups, no mid-range game (except if you can master the lane-floater shot the Griz lead the league in). And defense is an afterthought with analytics. Basically, what the "Next Gen Grizz" are becoming is a young, fast, and athletic team that can play with anyone if their shots are falling and the other team has been lulled into not playing D by analytics. But, as  Boston showed, if the Grizz encounter any team that actually plays D, they are a very mediocre team. They cannot counter a good half court D.  This is not about a youthful inexperience or a rebuild, but a fundamental flaw with building a team characterized by analytics. I like the young pieces they have, I like the Offense when the shots fall. But when they don't, there seems to be no plan B and the they can't stop the bleeding because they can't play any other way.

Where's the plan B?  

P.S., perhaps the reason why ratings are down in the NBA this season is because too many teams are trying to play like the Dubs without the Dubs shooters. Watching these games is like watching rec-league ball, two team bricking 3's half the nite and playing matador D so that they can take the ball out the net and run down and jack up another brick 3. Its boring and a sad waste of talent and athleticism. 

5 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

On NBA radio yesterday, there was a big uproar over an article about the Chicago Bulls player Lauri Markkanen and how his potential has been stunted by their analytics department. The argument is that Markkanen was a great all around player with multi-faceted offense. But, the analytics department with the Chicago Bulls have told him that they only good shot he should take is a three pointer, that the other types of shots he would take not "efficient" enough, so stop taking them, because "3 is better than 2". Markkanen is 7' 240lbs. with athleticism, hi BBall IQ, and great shooting touch. Why in the world would you want to tell someone that big and with so many tools and attributes to only take 3 point shots? 

I post that here to note that I believe this is similarly happening with the Grizz. The young players are being told that the new NBA is all about 3's or drives to the lane. No post ups, no mid-range game (except if you can master the lane-floater shot the Griz lead the league in). And defense is an afterthought with analytics. Basically, what the "Next Gen Grizz" are becoming is a young, fast, and athletic team that can play with anyone if their shots are falling and the other team has been lulled into not playing D by analytics. But, as  Boston showed, if the Grizz encounter any team that actually plays D, they are a very mediocre team. They cannot counter a good half court D.  This is not about a youthful inexperience or a rebuild, but a fundamental flaw with building a team characterized by analytics. I like the young pieces they have, I like the Offense when the shots fall. But when they don't, there seems to be no plan B and the they can't stop the bleeding because they can't play any other way.

Where's the plan B?  

P.S., perhaps the reason why ratings are down in the NBA this season is because too many teams are trying to play like the Dubs without the Dubs shooters. Watching these games is like watching rec-league ball, two team bricking 3's half the nite and playing matador D so that they can take the ball out the net and run down and jack up another brick 3. Its boring and a sad waste of talent and athleticism. 

The only dude not taking mid range jumpers is JJJ, and dude’s shooting 40% from 3 on high volume. I think they’re good. 

3 hours ago, King Dork said:

The only dude not taking mid range jumpers is JJJ, and dude’s shooting 40% from 3 on high volume. I think they’re good. 

Plus Jonas still gets to do post ups.   Our Defense is biggest issue and we don't have enough perimeter guys that can get their own shot (Ja and Dillon are it).    Jaren sorta qualifies because he is basically a Center with guard skills.      

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Plus Jonas still gets to do post ups.   Our Defense is biggest issue and we don't have enough perimeter guys that can get their own shot (Ja and Dillon are it).    Jaren sorta qualifies because he is basically a Center with guard skills.      

eh, allen can create offense/get a shot (as can melton), but he rarely is in plays where he's asked to handle the ball.

For years I’ve been saying that basketball would be better if you were awarded with more points for scoring closer to the basket 

17 hours ago, King Dork said:

When they are hitting shots, they are great. But my biggest concern is a lack of D. There doesn't seem to be a defensive gameplan or philosophy game in and out with this team. It just seems like they try to stay with their man and if they don't, oh well, get the ball out of the net and hope to match the other team bucket for bucket. No pattern of switching, doubling, hedging on PnR; what is the philosophy? Good NBA teams will exploit the undeveloped defense and make the game harder for them than it should be, considering the young talent, athleticism, and size they have.