bhoyal

Solomon Hill

He's a veteran.  Seems like a good guy and a good teammate.  Looks like he stepped right out of the ABA movie "semi-pro" and that's cool.

Going into armchair coach 20-20 hindsight mode,  I notice he was the only one with a hideous +/- last night.    He had a -25.  JJJ missed all his threes and still had a tolerable -4.  By comparison, Crowder had a +20 even though he was fighting with that annoying Tristan Thompson all night.  If it was hockey they would have "dropped the gloves."

So here's my thought... why strand JJJ on the bench late in the game with only 3 fouls?  I know BC was playing great and deserved to be in, so there's that.  And JV had 18 boards and that's not shabby.  JJJ had that bewildered look of "why am I on the bench" or am I just imagining that?

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

and you do realize he had a +25 in the previous game against HOU right?

+/- is a horribly misleading stat. The team won. i'll take the win. it's on to the next one for me. No need to dwell on couldda wouldda shouldda's in a win. 

And all wins are good wins.  But blowing a 20 point lead to hang on for dear life is not the preferred way to get there.

I am enjoying the win streak, wearing my Grizz swag out and about here in middle TN the last few days, drawing bewildered looks from Titans fans who are holding their breath over the upcoming playoff game.  Most of them are bandwagon anyway.  I saw a lady in the dollar store yesterday wearing an old Titans sweatshirt that looked like it had been hanging in the closet drawing dust since Eddie George was starting at tailback 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

JJJ had that bewildered look of "why am I on the bench" or am I just imagining that?

nope - you are dead on with the whole why look...

When he gets tagged with an early quick foul - he gets upset he runs right into another quick whistle... it goes downhill fast from there.

last night - he got the 3rd tag ( may have been the 2nd - not sure) and went directly to the bench - dejected. Guys try to rally around him and get his spirits back up

I think thats more of a maturity issue. Learning how to reel in his emotions as he begins to understand the way reffs are officiating the game is the next hurdle for him to overcome. 

I think he's up to it... he is still learning

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

and you do realize he had a +25 in the previous game against HOU right?

+/- is a horribly misleading stat. The team won. i'll take the win. it's on to the next one for me. No need to dwell on couldda wouldda shouldda's in a win. 

completely agree with this statement

+/- is misleading. I like solomon for veteran leadership. He makes some good plays. He should probably be getting about 12 minutes/game though. Would rather his extra minutes get divided among BC, Melton, Grayson, Anderson.

Solo Man was plus 25 the other night and didn’t really play well.  

I think he was out there a lot when Ja wasn’t in. Maybe that explains it.

Maybe Clarke needs some minutes at the 3.  He and Jaren would give you some of everything at the forward spots.

Probably could have used Jaren’s spacing and defense as our offense unraveled a bit down the stretch.  Jonas/Clarke deserved minutes too, though.  

2 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

+/- is misleading. I like solomon for veteran leadership. He makes some good plays. He should probably be getting about 12 minutes/game though. Would rather his extra minutes get divided among BC, Melton, Grayson, Anderson.

I wonder if Solo Man would be as effective in the starting lineup as Jae. Could play fewer minutes and take fewer shots than Jae which would leave more minutes for Clarke, Grayson and those other guys.  

Some ugly wins are needed. They are not going to run away with every game winning by double digits. The youngsters will give up leads and have to learn how to 'grind' out close games. It's part of the process of becoming a great team. 

To me learning to win close games is a valuable lesson and part of the learning curve to greatness. 

26 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

Some ugly wins are needed. They are not going to run away with every game winning by double digits. The youngsters will give up leads and have to learn how to 'grind' out close games. It's part of the process of becoming a great team. 

To me learning to win close games is a valuable lesson and part of the learning curve to greatness. 

That’s a great point. Would like it to not be as big of a trend as the last iteration of the Grizz though 

I still say if you get a good trade offer for him you do it. 

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I still say if you get a good trade offer for him you do it. 

I hope your right but at 33 years old I don't think so 

Just now, lions said:

i.m wrong he only 28

On 1/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, bhoyal said:

He's a veteran.  Seems like a good guy and a good teammate.  Looks like he stepped right out of the ABA movie "semi-pro" and that's cool.

Going into armchair coach 20-20 hindsight mode,  I notice he was the only one with a hideous +/- last night.    He had a -25.  JJJ missed all his threes and still had a tolerable -4.  By comparison, Crowder had a +20 even though he was fighting with that annoying Tristan Thompson all night.  If it was hockey they would have "dropped the gloves."

So here's my thought... why strand JJJ on the bench late in the game with only 3 fouls?  I know BC was playing great and deserved to be in, so there's that.  And JV had 18 boards and that's not shabby.  JJJ had that bewildered look of "why am I on the bench" or am I just imagining that?

TJ must have been sending Jaren a message (i think TJ learned that tactic from the nuns).

On 1/18/2020 at 2:03 PM, bhoyal said:

And all wins are good wins.  But blowing a 20 point lead to hang on for dear life is not the preferred way to get there.

I am enjoying the win streak, wearing my Grizz swag out and about here in middle TN the last few days, drawing bewildered looks from Titans fans who are holding their breath over the upcoming playoff game.  Most of them are bandwagon anyway.  I saw a lady in the dollar store yesterday wearing an old Titans sweatshirt that looked like it had been hanging in the closet drawing dust since Eddie George was starting at tailback 20 years ago. 

Go Titans. One hour to game time.

21 hours ago, lions said:

Crap hes that old?

On 1/19/2020 at 7:18 AM, lions said:

i.m wrong he only 28

But he looks 38.

The only time a single game +/- is meaningful is with the team, not the player.

If the team has a + for the game, they won. If the team has a - for the game, they lost.

The stat is highly influenced by the other players on the floor, for both teams.

Solo is serving his purpose this year, should be available for trade if any unlikely offers come, and be considered for a near vet minimum deal next year if he a positive guy in locker room and on the floor. 

The benefit for a vet like him instead of some young guy is Hill has received his big paycheck and may be more content to doing what is needed to win instead of some young guy needing stats to get the next contract.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, GameOn said:

Go Titans. One hour to game time.

I missed the Titans-KC game.

How did that one turn out?

1 hour ago, bhoyal said:

I missed the Titans-KC game.

How did that one turn out?

Titans will play the Packers in the Jack Pirtle Liberty Bowl.

19 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Titans will play the Packers in the Jack Pirtle Liberty Bowl.

I think I am gonna pick the Tennessee Oilers in this one.

I was ticked he was gettin minutes over Bruno while being vastly overpaid, but he's been pretty decent lately. Better than Parsons that's not sayin much tho. Can't see any team offering anything for him unless we take on a longer contract.

i'd rather solo stay than jae.  jae has far too big a role on this team when younger guys should be getting his minutes/shots.

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Basically one of Jae should be gone next season.   Jae is better overall player but Solo may be more comfortable with smaller role. 

Thats the perfect fit for this team