I❤️JV

KEEPING DILLON AND MELTON

51 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Think about it this way. We can pretty much spend whatever we want as long as that salary goes away in 3 years. Jaren will have to be maxed in 2022 and we will be looking at a possible supermax extension for Ja kicking in in 2023. That's when you want financial flexibility, not now.

And frankly, if we have to overpay a bit now to keep both Dillon and Melton they'll still be small contracts by current NBA standards, let alone 3 years down the road. I mean, just for the sake of discussion, the max for Dillon would be $25M. We could max him out (not that I or anyone else would do it), give Melton an MLE-type contract and still have room to offer a max contract to a free agent.

Let these guys keep improving, we will always be able to retain them if we want to.

We can also structure their deals similar to Jonas where its descending too, correct?   That makes them more tradeable as the years go on if there is an issue.     We are just in uncharted territory now as Grizz fans because we actually have multiple players we want to retain and the money to do it.      

Resigning Melton and Dillon and keeping one of Jae or Solo is a must for me.   Then if no one in FA appeals use the capspace to get another bad contract (preferably a Center) and pick.  

Bonus points for FO for locking up Tyus too.   Looking at train wreck in Minny and i assure you they wish they would've kept him.  

57 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Think about it this way. We can pretty much spend whatever we want as long as that salary goes away in 3 years. Jaren will have to be maxed in 2022 and we will be looking at a possible supermax extension for Ja kicking in in 2023. That's when you want financial flexibility, not now.

And frankly, if we have to overpay a bit now to keep both Dillon and Melton they'll still be small contracts by current NBA standards, let alone 3 years down the road. I mean, just for the sake of discussion, the max for Dillon would be $25M. We could max him out (not that I or anyone else would do it), give Melton an MLE-type contract and still have room to offer a max contract to a free agent.

Let these guys keep improving, we will always be able to retain them if we want to.

MAX not supermax and rookie max at that....supermax you need 8 years of service...

6 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

MAX not supermax and rookie max at that....supermax you need 8 years of service...

Sorry, you’re right, I meant designated player extension. That would mean a max salary equivalent to that of a 7-9 year veteran.

19 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

I am not down on DB. He is great and having an awesome season. 

However.... did any of y'all watch Murry State? Ja made those dudes (complete scrubs) look decent. I honestly do think that Brooks is benefiting from two things playing the 2 for us next to Ja.

1. He is getting assists from Ja pretty much the entire time he is on the court.

2. Most of the times he has a size (height and weight) advantage over the guy he is matched up against on offense. I.e. he might guard a SF, but is usually guarded by an undersized SG.

So lets just say someone does make a crazy offer? How high would you go? 

Everyone on the team is benefiting from Ja's, and Tyus' assists.  Dillon creates his own shots more than anyone else on the roster not named Ja.  Well, Tyus and Melton do, but are both PGs and are lesser scorers.  It isn't as if he is just a catch and shoot player.  Guys like JV, Solomon Hill, Jae Crowder,  and Brandon Clarke (who doesn't create his own shot), are far more dependent on Ja and Tyus than Dillon.  He's also getting to be more consistent as the season progresses.  There really might be more to Fischer's Law than a lot of us realize. As has been pointed out, he regularly has the toughest backcourt defensive assignment, and while he isn't an elite defender I don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't make his opponent work hard, and he won't be bullied and he plays with fire in his belly.  He may not be easily replaceable. 

I can’t see a reason to move away from Ja/Jaren/Jonas/Clarke/Dillon and even Melton/Grayson/Tyus.

I also don’t see where another “piece” would get enough shots. I probably want Ja/Jaren/Clarke/Jonas/Dillon/Melton getting MORE shots.  

We could probably use another moderate usage guy (give him Crowder’s 9 shots per game) then some low usage role players (bigs, 3 and D wings). 

If we overpay for free agents then give ‘em 1 or 2 year deals.  Same with trades where we get ‘name guys’ on big contracts.  

I would still try to find an extra big man or a 3 and D small forward in the draft.  

7 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Everyone on the team is benefiting from Ja's, and Tyus' assists.  Dillon creates his own shots more than anyone else on the roster not named Ja.  Well, Tyus and Melton do, but are both PGs and are lesser scorers.  It isn't as if he is just a catch and shoot player.  Guys like JV, Solomon Hill, Jae Crowder,  and Brandon Clarke (who doesn't create his own shot), are far more dependent on Ja and Tyus than Dillon.  He's also getting to be more consistent as the season progresses.  There really might be more to Fischer's Law than a lot of us realize. As has been pointed out, he regularly has the toughest backcourt defensive assignment, and while he isn't an elite defender I don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't make his opponent work hard, and he won't be bullied and he plays with fire in his belly.  He may not be easily replaceable. 

Yup I agree..it is tough to know how much Ja creates space/opportunites for DB because he has such a scorers mentality already.

I guess I am just trying to figure out how irreplaceable he really is. I am loving this year's team and they still have so much room for growth. Just don't want to mess things up in Year 1. 

I hope we only have to overpay DB just a little 

24 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I'm hoping we don't overpay at all.  I'm hoping that it turns out he was worth every nickel we pay him, and then some.

59 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

His stock is rising definitely.

When we first started talking about this in Nov, I was saying around half of 15mil being proposed, unless he started to average 20ppg.

To Dillon's credit, he has done that since Dec, he is playing really well with more consistency, and the team is winning.

If this continues, he is gonna be around the 15mil mark

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

His stock is rising definitely.

When we first started talking about this in Nov, I was saying around half of 15mil being proposed, unless he started to average 20ppg.

To Dillon's credit, he has done that since Dec, he is playing really well with more consistency, and the team is winning.

If this continues, he is gonna be around the 15mil mark

If he is was UFA i can see someone offering like 15m....much harder for RFA....IMO his max is 3/45...i  expect around 4/50 deal.

10 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm hoping we don't overpay at all.  I'm hoping that it turns out he was worth every nickel we pay him, and then some.

That’s the attitude.

I think Dillon gets “3rd option” type money.  He can score and shoot plus he does some of the secondary things like scrappiness, defense, and rebounding to make him valuable as basically a combo wing.

Dillon is a legit scorer not an elite scorer but is a real NBA scorer.    I think our biggest needs now are better perimeter defense and more consistent 3pt shooters.  

Gotta keep Melton because he is the best perimeter defender we have - no contest.    If we wanna make the playoffs consistently then we need to make sure we have better balance of defense to our offense.   

I officially am no longer worried about do we have enough guys that can score.   We do - Ja Jaren Dillon Brandon and Jonas are more than  enough scorers to carry us even Grayson has potential to be 10ppg.   

We just need more guys that can "shut the water off" without hurting us offensively.    SloMo, Jae and Hill - two of them gotta go.  Dang i wish we could get a look at Josh Jackson.      We need guys that can fly up and down the court and hit open shots.   Give me a 6'7'+ athletic wing and 6'10+ mobile center.    

14 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We need guys that can fly up and down the court and hit open shots.   Give me a 6'7'+ athletic wing and 6'10+ mobile center.    

I'm with you on that!

Problem is, those guys are hard to come by.  Especially guys that aren't "over-priced".  This draft, too, might be relatively hard to find those dudes.

With the Suns' 2nd I can talk about taking the "BPA" but I kinda want a long/athletic/3 and D wing (more specifically a small forward) OR that bouncy big man dunker/shot blocker type.  

Maybe we draft a guy like that, and add two more players with those two skill-sets in free agency.

I LOVE our size at the 4/5 with our ALT GRIND twin towers (Jaren and Jonas), and I like how Dillon adds size and scoring punch to our back court with Ja.  I think we have a good approach now with a bigger power wing (enforcer small forward) with Jae Crowder -- we just need a guy like that but with more TALENT, youth, and upside.  Our bench really lacks size.  Clarke is built like a 3, and Bruno is hurt.  So... there ya go.  Tyus/Melton/Grayson is gritty, grindy, and scrappy but also not that long/big overall.  None of those 3 are knock down shooters either.  

We need a face lift at the 3 and a reloaded bench.

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

I'm with you on that!

Problem is, those guys are hard to come by.  Especially guys that aren't "over-priced".  This draft, too, might be relatively hard to find those dudes.

With the Suns' 2nd I can talk about taking the "BPA" but I kinda want a long/athletic/3 and D wing (more specifically a small forward) OR that bouncy big man dunker/shot blocker type.  

Maybe we draft a guy like that, and add two more players with those two skill-sets in free agency.

I LOVE our size at the 4/5 with our ALT GRIND twin towers (Jaren and Jonas), and I like how Dillon adds size and scoring punch to our back court with Ja.  I think we have a good approach now with a bigger power wing (enforcer small forward) with Jae Crowder -- we just need a guy like that but with more TALENT, youth, and upside.  Our bench really lacks size.  Clarke is built like a 3, and Bruno is hurt.  So... there ya go.  Tyus/Melton/Grayson is gritty, grindy, and scrappy but also not that long/big overall.  None of those 3 are knock down shooters either.  

We need a face lift at the 3 and a reloaded bench.

Technically we have the SF with Josh Jackson (6'8' athletic) we just need the Mobile Center.   On bright side if we strike out in draft we can still possibly get Derrick Jones Jr in Free Agency. 

21 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Technically we have the SF with Josh Jackson (6'8' athletic) we just need the Mobile Center.   On bright side if we strike out in draft we can still possibly get Derrick Jones Jr in Free Agency. 

Brandon Clarke isn't a dynamic offensive creator at this point and aside from some spot-up 3's here and there does most of his damage inside 10-12 feet, but I think he can slot into the starting small forward spot.  Then you have two really, really good options on BOTH sides of the ball at the forward spots (Clarke and Jaren) and each would seem to complement each other's games (on both sides of the ball).  We would basically be going "all in" with the starting lineup, as an over-loaded core 5, but that might be our best lineup going forward.

Clarke would then be our "fifth option" on offense behind Ja/Jaren as well as Dillon/Jonas -- sounds about right.  Our option 2 rebounder behind Jonas.  Sounds about right.  Our top athletic "roll guy".  Our third best spot-up 3 point shooter behind Jaren/Dillon.  Our second-best weak side shot blocker behind Jaren.  Our best fast break target for Ja.  A perfectly complementary wing defender next to Dillon Brooks as well as a complementary defender at the forward/front line spot to go with Jaren Jackson, Jr.  Sounds about right.