I❤️JV

KEEPING DILLON AND MELTON

Dillon and Melton are RFA...so what does it mean? Very few team will have much cap space, no team will offer anything for Dillon and Melton as all the available cap will be spend within 6 hours after FA opening, no team will submit offers for  Dillon or Melton and wait 10 days with cap on hold without knowing if we match. So the most any team can offer for any of them is MLE and we would match that. If a team wants to steal Dillon or Melton they will need to pay in picks...Dillon and Melton are going nowhere unless we want them to go.

They also have super low cap holds so don't impact the space we have too much as long as Mr Pera is happy to spend his dollars, which he seems to be. Before they sign their contracts they count at about $4m combined I think.  

10 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Dillon and Melton are RFA...so what does it mean? Very few team will have much cap space, no team will offer anything for Dillon and Melton as all the available cap will be spend within 6 hours after FA opening, no team will submit offers for  Dillon or Melton and wait 10 days with cap on hold without knowing if we match. So the most any team can offer for any of them is MLE and we would match that. If a team wants to steal Dillon or Melton they will need to pay in picks...Dillon and Melton are going nowhere unless we want them to go.

Minor correction, in the new CBA the offer sheet cap is only held for two days, not ten.

Just now, fanboyslim said:

Minor correction, in the new CBA the offer sheet cap is only held for two days, not ten.

Free agency opens 30th June and you can submit  your offer to RFA. But moratorium dates does not count...so technically even you submitted your offer on the 30th our team has 2 days after moratorium to match  ...moratorium ends 7th of July and we need to match/let go on the 9th...so...your cap is on hold for 10 days without knowing if other team is going to match...and for 10 days you can't get anyone else as your cap is on hold...teams will not/have not do that.

8 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Free agency opens 30th June and you can submit  your offer to RFA. But moratorium dates does not count...so technically even you submitted your offer on the 30th our team has 2 days after moratorium to match  ...moratorium ends 7th of July and we need to match/let go on the 9th...so...your cap is on hold for 10 days without knowing if other team is going to match...and for 10 days you can't get anyone else as your cap is on hold...teams will not/have not do that.

Ah ok, I misunderstood you. Technically the cap wouldn’t be on hold until the offer sheet is signed but in practice the effect is the same.

Kind of a moot point anyway since nobody is anxiously saving their cap in order to make an offer to these guys on the 30th.

49 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

wait ... whut ? 😮

gotta admit - you kinda caught me off gaurd with actual facts !

guess I got used to you line crossing... 🤣

nice explaination there

I think we have a JaM situation brewing. We can be patient and let the market decide what their contract will look like. We can also just negotiate a favorable deal for both parties as well. Both guys are definitely in the future plans. Our best perimeter defender and perimeter scorer are definite keepers. 

48 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

I think we have a JaM situation brewing. We can be patient and let the market decide what their contract will look like. We can also just negotiate a favorable deal for both parties as well. Both guys are definitely in the future plans. Our best perimeter defender and perimeter scorer are definite keepers. 

That's exactly right. Using leverage in a negotiation doesn't mean screwing the player, and JaM's contract was a good example. He got more money than the market offered, we got a fantastic contract.

as long as dillion  keeps up his great play as of lately he going no where 

Brooks is a great for this team. I wish he went off all the time like he did last night 

1 hour ago, grizzgolf said:

Brooks is a great for this team. I wish he went off all the time like he did last night 

Him and Ja inject energy into the squad.

Dillion when a score first mentality is needed is always ready to squeeze more than a few off

Ja really does look to setup plays but will call his own number when it’s needed

Jae - You’re . Not. Gonna. Push. Us. Around - Crowder. Not a bully by any means but always ready to match that energy and kick it up a notch.

BC pogo sticks

JV - beast down low

they are learning to play together - ooohhh weeee ... once they figure it out ... Uh- ohhhh

I am not down on DB. He is great and having an awesome season. 

However.... did any of y'all watch Murry State? Ja made those dudes (complete scrubs) look decent. I honestly do think that Brooks is benefiting from two things playing the 2 for us next to Ja.

1. He is getting assists from Ja pretty much the entire time he is on the court.

2. Most of the times he has a size (height and weight) advantage over the guy he is matched up against on offense. I.e. he might guard a SF, but is usually guarded by an undersized SG.

So lets just say someone does make a crazy offer? How high would you go? 

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

However.... did any of y'all watch Murry State? Ja made those dudes (complete scrubs) look decent. I honestly do think that Brooks is benefiting from two things playing the 2 for us next to Ja.

1. He is getting assists from Ja pretty much the entire time he is on the court.

2. Most of the times he has a size (height and weight) advantage over the guy he is matched up against on offense. I.e. he might guard a SF, but is usually guarded by an undersized SG.

If a told you there was a 24y old 6'7' wing that shoots 39% from 3, can shoot off the dribble, and defend his position.    What would you offer?

We gotta stop viewing him as Dillon Brooks (guy that got confused with Marshon) and actually acknowledge what he is doing.  

2 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

I think his success is a huge product of this let it fly, high motion moving offense. It feels like more of a regular season offense. I am really worried because those type of offenses and players that need them to thrive sometimes tend to be subdued in 7 game playoff series, particularly against good defenses/defenders. Thats my reservation on Dillon right now.

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If a told you there was a 24y old 6'7' wing that shoots 39% from 3, can shoot off the dribble, and defend his position.    What would you offer?

We gotta stop viewing him as Dillon Brooks (guy that got confused with Marshon) and actually acknowledge what he is doing.  

The thing that really strikes me about Dillon is the defense.  He is generally one of the main defenders in the other team's primary scorer. Kyle and Jae being the others. That is the part of his game I respect the most.  Bc it is night in night out - always plays good d.

Also I agree with Dwash about the way DB scores in our offense. 

His stats and the eye test this past month and a half make me think he is worth a sizable contract, but that is just the thing I am wondering about.

In a vacuum, yeh,  he looks great but we are in uncharted waters. Future superstar player on the roster. Heck Ja is a superstar player right now. Potential #2 option aka "unicorn" big in house (can't believe that unicorn big is now a phrase) with JJJ. Those two dudes are going to get maxed out.

Brandon Clarke is going to get paid. We are talking about keeping Melton.  Already paying JV.

You see where I am going here, right? IDK that Dillon is easily replaceable.  I am just thinking is there a guy or two who could get paid less and do the same? I don't think Dillon can realistically keep this pace up, but if he does he could price himself out of our future plans. 

Couple of the Grizzlies Pcast have me hooked on Brooks now. They talked about his percentages from the past month and they are some pretty good numbers.

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

We are keeping both...if we want Make Grizz Great Again....

the Grizz were never Great 

Melton will be easy retaining but Brooks will warrant some interest. I do think he's thriving in this system, but with his catch and shoot ability, and scrappy defense, he's serviceable in any system.  I hope that we can keep both

On 1/17/2020 at 7:43 AM, ACGrizz said:

I'm more excited for Melton. I think he has a better chance of outperforming his next contract than Dillon.

agreed and I’m not knocking db. love his attitude and fight but I think the organization has to be careful with his negotiations, especially if someone comes in with a big contract. the fo has done a great job as of late not being cw reactive. not saying I don’t want to keep db...I do but it needs to be on a griz friendly rate. it’d be a shame to lose him, but I’d walk away briskly if price was too high. 

slim. 

1 hour ago, memphis slim said:

agreed and I’m not knocking db. love his attitude and fight but I think the organization has to be careful with his negotiations, especially if someone comes in with a big contract. the fo has done a great job as of late not being cw reactive. not saying I don’t want to keep db...I do but it needs to be on a griz friendly rate. it’d be a shame to lose him, but I’d walk away briskly if price was too high. 

slim. 

Truthfully I'd walk away from anybody not named ja or jaren if the price was higher than anticipated 

Think about it this way. We can pretty much spend whatever we want as long as that salary goes away in 3 years. Jaren will have to be maxed in 2022 and we will be looking at a possible supermax extension for Ja kicking in in 2023. That's when you want financial flexibility, not now.

And frankly, if we have to overpay a bit now to keep both Dillon and Melton they'll still be small contracts by current NBA standards, let alone 3 years down the road. I mean, just for the sake of discussion, the max for Dillon would be $25M. We could max him out (not that I or anyone else would do it), give Melton an MLE-type contract and still have room to offer a max contract to a free agent.

Let these guys keep improving, we will always be able to retain them if we want to.

counter point to just throwing out whatever to db as long as gone within 3 years- these guys are humans, not robots. 

if db were to get big money, I think it could lead to issues off court and on. lots. just throwing it out there, something to ponder...

slim. 

Just now, memphis slim said:

counter point to just throwing out whatever to db as long as gone within 3 years- these guys are humans, not robots. 

if db were to get big money, I think it could lead to issues off court and on. lots. just throwing it out there, something to ponder...

slim. 

I get your point but keep in mind that players on the rookie scale simply cannot get big money, no matter how much they deserve it. It's unrealistic for them to expect other players not to be paid in the meantime. I mean, is JV's $16M contract "big money"? Solo is making more money this year than 6 other players in the roster combined. Those don't seem to be affecting the team's chemistry.

In DB's case I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. I keep saying he's going to get MLE or slightly above MLE offers simply because that's what the market will bear. I'm just saying we have a lot of leeway in the near term if we have to match a couple more millions than expected.