Sign in to follow this  
I❤️JV

NBA Rumors: Anonymous GM Would've Drafted Ja Morant over Zion Williamson

So, I was NOT the only person who had Ja number one on a big board???

A bit disappointed.  BUT, I will not let the Internet Mock Draft Community down with my 2020 Mother of All Big Boards!

All part of the hype to build up for Zion's return.  

Build up Ja and diminish Zion now.  Zion returns and does great, they can do Zion glorification pieces on how he was doubted.

Here's what's great for the future, and terrible.

It's great that Ja, Luka and Zion are all in the Southwest division and are probably the 3 best young players, as of now.

It's not great when it means winning the West.

He might have had him #1 on his board but he wouldn’t have had the balls to pull the trigger and draft Ja over Zion

16 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's great that Ja, Luka and Zion are all in the Southwest division and are probably the 3 best young players, as of now.

It's not great when it means winning the West.

The NBA probably wishes that the future "big 3" (maybe) weren't all in the same conference, much less in the same DIVISION, and all on basically "smaller" market teams.

Our division has always been tough -- but now it is FUN.  We play Zion/Luka MAYBE two more games total because they are in our same division?  (not just in our same conference).  

It will probably turn into the Death Division but a Ja/Luka/Zion rivalry sounds great.  

Now... with our division's luck, watch the Spurs tank and then end up with James Wiseman.  That would REALLY throw fuel on the fire.

every mock daft had zion going number 1 . if zion  never got hurt this may never be bought up. 

Said the whole time every analyst or former player that spoke had less questions about Ja's game than Zion's. That said, Zion will be a statistical monster, atleast for a few years.

Its near impossible to draft Ja over Zion, but I can tell you Im so glad we got the 2nd pick of this draft, Ja is the perfect fit, and we also wouldn't have Clarke if we got Zion. 

If you look at their position the value is with JA at PG.

With that said we just don't know alot about Zion yet when it comes to NBA.

The knock with Zion always was the question of how durable he would be given his body frame and style of play. He might yet recover from this injury and go have a better career than Ja, but my personal feeling is that he’s going to have a Dwight Howard type career path.

i.m happy the grizzlies jump 6 spots in the lottery 

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

The knock with Zion always was the question of how durable he would be given his body frame and style of play. He might yet recover from this injury and go have a better career than Ja, but my personal feeling is that he’s going to have a Dwight Howard type career path.

Dwight was a monster for a period of time, could have won a ring or 2, but Magic did not put the best players around him, and Dwight did not have the killer instict 

2 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

Dwight was a monster for a period of time, could have won a ring or 2, but Magic did not put the best players around him, and Dwight did not have the killer instict 

Yeah but my point is injuries began to have a cumulative effect, and since so much of his game was dependent on athleticism he basically faded for the second half of his career. That’s what I think may happen to Zion since what makes him exceptional is precisely what puts him at risk for injuries.

11 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Yeah I love Ja but without hindsight its impossible to make that pick. I am glad that we didn't have to make those decisions, we just reaped the benefits.  

I said all along that if we move up, I wanted the second pick not the first. if we got the first we had to pick Zion. Zion is dang near 300 lbs with an awkward walk, he busted out of his shoe at Duke and was injured as a freshman while playing 30 something games. it's not hard to predict that he would struggle playing 82 games a season with the way he jumps (and lands with all of that weight). WIth that being said, there's not an NBA GM alive that would have taken anyone but Zion #1 because the pressure was too great with all of the hype and highlights. 

Ironic that Zion is debuting in 2020. He would have been the poster child prototype for the 2010’s decade.  Basically he should have been a pro 10 years earlier (instead of Anthony Bennett). And, Air Anthony Bennett is less of a valued archetype now.  

The ‘archetype big man’ of the current Brave New NBA (and projecting forward) might look more like Jaren Jackson Jr. (or even a Bol Bol).  

The prototype rim runner/rim protector looks more like Jaxson Hayes or Mitch Rob or (hopefully) James Wiseman.

’Zion’ is a pretty ‘meh’ archetype — not saying he won’t make it work though.  

Zion’s ‘floor’ might be shockingly low for a supposedly “no brainer” top pick. 

On the other hand, Ja has a neat prototype but I could have also lived with his floor — everything I loved about Elliott Perry spliced with everything I loved about White Chocolate. Baseline of a 6’3 Penny? You usually take that.  Upside?  He might even live up to my Mother of All Big Boards sobriquet of “Air Magic”.  Hints of Pistol Pete Maravich too.