Ole Dirty Klondike

ESPN Love? No, Zion will win ROY

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

I haven't checked the All-Star voting lately, but how could Ja NOT be in the All-Star game???

It’s close. I looked at the guys and if half the team is guards it is gonna come down to Ja, CP3, and Westbrook for that last spot.  Although I think BOTH Ja and Chris Paul need to make it.  

If Morant closes out Ja-nuary strong then I think he gets in.  

I would  love to see morant get rookie of the year and most likely he will win it . but I feel the play-off are more important 

I,m happy  morant is pulling out of the slam dunk contest .we need to forces on the play-off 

18 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Facts: Patrick Ewing played 50 games his rookie season and won ROY. That is the record for fewest games played by a rookie who won the ROY. 

I believe Zion would have to be amazing to beat Patrick’s record by 15 games. Everyone needs to calm down.

Yeah, and he averaged 20-10 a night (pretty sure). Plus, he played on the Knicks and had a college championship on his resume.  Zion is a small market guy with no big hardware.  I also don’t think it’s a lock for him getting 10 boards a night.  He’s actually not a big-numbers rebounder.  Either in college or summer league.  

To average 20 a night... would he need 6 or 7 dunks per game?  

18/8 per night the rest of the way would be GREAT but it still wouldn’t be enough for The Big E-Z.

Morant might even have another level (more minutes/shot attempts) and might end up really running away with this thing after the Break.

the month of February will be the month grizzlies need to play over 500 ball 

13 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

I would be really upset if CP3 is in a ASG....10 times more angry if Russell Westbrook gets the nod.

I want to see cp3 and westbrook in the ASG ,they would help them keep there mind off the play -off run 

31 minutes ago, lions said:

I would  love to see morant get rookie of the year and most likely he will win it . but I feel the play-off are more important 

Playoffs would help him win ROY. 

53 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Dunno, Luka didn’t make it despite the votes.

Yea if he didn't make it i don't see how Ja does short of injury replacement. 

I feel like you guys are complaining about  nothing. 

Zion is the biggest box office star coming into the league LeBron.

20 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I feel like you guys are complaining about  nothing. 

Zion is the biggest box office star coming into the league LeBron.

I think Ja has more organic buzz/hype. Stylistically, I like his play-style/flair more too.

The NBA wants Luka/Zion/Ja as the “new”/future big 3 but I don’t think they care which of those guys is THE big dog.  With that trio being followed by guys like Trae, Jaren, and hopefully some guys from the next few draft classes.  I can see James Wiseman being a highlight reel although that might not perfectly translate into a winning brand of basketball. 

Once Giannis peaks, the new Big 3 (and the next tier of studs) will be well into their primes.  

3 hours ago, GameOn said:

Thanks for that info. So Ja should be a shoe in?

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Most of those guys are HoFers going way back.

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Dunno, Luka didn’t make it despite the votes.

Well, there's been 7 people to do it since 1990.All of those were unique situations. I have a hard time seeing Ja getting in especially since Luka didn't get in last year and he had better overall stats. If Ja does get in, it would be a miracle but a miracle that I wouldn't complain about. 

The voting for starters is 50% fans, 25% media and 25% players and then the coaches select the reserves.  I don't see coaches putting him in over established stars who may be nearing the end like say a Chris Paul. Their stats are kind of similar but I would assume coaches would give Paul one more to add to his legacy rather than giving it to a rookie who has 15 years ahead of him. it's not right but I figure coaches would do that. 

Zion probably needed a big showing in the MLK Game. With him sitting it out he needs not just great stats the rest of the way, but also some MONSTER games — a couple of 30/20 games, a triple double or two. Maybe even a 50 point game.  

BUT if Ja takes it personal look for him to put up some gaudy numbers too.  

Zion would also have to make the playoffs with the Grizz not getting in.  Z Man might also have to win the dunk title.

Ja can put this away with the playoffs, a few triple doubles and a 40 point game. 

Captain Obvious here.  Mark it down.  Ja will win Rookie Of The Year.  Just keep doing what you're doing Ja.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:15 PM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Ja doesn’t seem to use anger as fuel... that’s a Russ or Dame or Chris Paul move...

Ja reminds me more of AI - gonna do his thing - to whoever- anyway

Maybe not but he sure seemed pretty hot about Harden slighting him in that post conference :D

2 hours ago, Gradey said:

Maybe not but he sure seemed pretty hot about Harden slighting him in that post conference :D

No lie detected

🤣💨💫

Honestly, ESPN been giving Ja tons of love.   It just makes business sense to lift up both Ja and Zion especially with all the other stars out injured.    

On 1/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, chipc3 said:

Facts: Patrick Ewing played 50 games his rookie season and won ROY. That is the record for fewest games played by a rookie who won the ROY. 

I believe Zion would have to be amazing to beat Patrick’s record by 15 games. Everyone needs to calm down.

Yeah, just don’t see it happening for Zion. Good recent example is Brogdon winning RotY over Embiid and that was with Brogdon having far less impressive numbers than Embiid. Embiid played 31 games that year, which is probably around where Zion will end up even if he stays healthy (load management/B2Bs). Maybe Ja won’t win the award, but it won’t be because Zion won it. 

Didn't watch our game (was cleaning up) but Ja didn't do much.

In limited minutes, Zion looked sluggish at the start of the Pels/Spurs game, then got going then really put on a show towards the end.

He had 22/7 last night?

I think he can average that.... I think he might be on MASSIVE load management even if he plays every game the rest of the way.

Ja puts up great stats so as long as his averages stay the same and as long as the Grizzlies stay in the playoff hunt, Zion is gonna pretty much be mathematically eliminated at some point.

BUT, the Sports Ball Media is gonna try to make this a "horse race".

Even then, if Zion "catches" Ja then I still think they probably tie and get co-ROY.

BUT, Zion would probably have to average 27 and 12 the rest of the way.

The "rookie big four" might be Ja then Herro/Nunn/Zion.  Yeah, Zion's 1st team All Rookie narrative has entered the chat.  Doumbouya, Coby White, Michael Porter, Jr., PJ Washington, Eric Paschall, RJ Barrett, and probably a couple of others are all in contention for that last All Rookie 1st team spot.

Ja needs to hold his own until the All Star Break then try to get the narrative back after that -- so he can run away with this ROY thing.

Zion is not as exciting to see as I thought he would be.  He hit 4 threes but they basically let him set and shoot. Not great handles.  Just an athletic freak.

10 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Zion is not as exciting to see as I thought he would be.  He hit 4 threes but they basically let him set and shoot. Not great handles.  Just an athletic freak.

You are just spoiled from watchin Ja.  It was always the freak show element that made him popular in the first place.   If he was 6'5' 220lbs  with same skillset he woulda been just another lottery pick. 

13 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He did what I thought he would do.

He may not be a "force" on defense, which is what I was worried about (I like Zion), and that may lower his ceiling.  Needs to get in better shape, more disciplined and get more skilled overall as a 2 way player.

High motor video game fat Vincent Askew on steroids seems to be what we are getting.  But, that's not necessarily a BAD thing.

He's also a small ball 5 OR a bigger nominal point guard.  So, some hints of Charles Barkley and Karl Malone and Moses Malone but also Wes Unseld and Oscar Robertson.

Zion is fun to watch, and he wasn't particularly in game shape.  BUT, is he gonna help the Pelicans win at a high rate?  That remains to be seen.  

IF his play style/force of nature brand of basketball yields itself to winning then ZIONMANIA is gonna be something to behold.  

ALT GRIND

The golden age of the ABA is truly upon us.

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

You are just spoiled from watchin Ja.  It was always the freak show element that made him popular in the first place.   If he was 6'5' 220lbs  with same skillset he woulda been just another lottery pick. 

Maybe true. Because Ja is just so spectacular with the ball. Zion looked better in college against average athletes that were only 2 or 3 inches taller.  One on one I see these guys just backing off a few feet, close enough to play his slow jumper and far back enough to stop the drive. Most of his spectacular plays will be off lobs and fastbreaks.