I❤️JV

Buy, Sell, Hold: What Should Your NBA Team Do at This Year's Trade Deadline?

17 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Why on earth would the Pistons give up an asset to get rid of Drummond? It won't be hard to find a taker for him. 

Disagree. Nobody wants Drummon in today's NBA. Empty stats, can't shoot free throws. They would be happy just to get off his salary.

Turning it around, we don't want Drummond for 22 million. When you figure JJJ and Ja are going to be max or near max players, having Drummond as a third kills our roster flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Disagree. Nobody wants Drummon in today's NBA. Empty stats, can't shoot free throws. They would be happy just to get off his salary.

Turning it around, we don't want Drummond for 22 million. When you figure JJJ and Ja are going to be max or near max players, having Drummond as a third kills our roster flexibility.

He doesn't make sense for us, but Atlanta is going to go after him hard. We already have our center position figured out. Charlotte needs him badly as well. Being the league's leading rebounder like 4 years in a row isn't empty stats, while also giving you 17 points a game. That's a bad take. We don't need him, but doesn't mean he isn't valuable. 

26 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

It looks like he is only on the books for the rest of this season and next but I could be wrong.

IDEAL backup center type who can rebound and dunk, although a BIG overpay if it is a deal longer than next season.

Jonas isn't an ideal big in today's NBA either but we are making it work -- having Jaren (and also Clarke) in big man roles kinda makes the throw back guys work since he can space the floor, drive a bit, and defend/protect the rim.

Andre Drummond doesn't hit free throws but he is a better athlete and lob threat (hopefully) than Jonas.  

I also think that is PLAYOFFS OR BUST for us this year, as long as we don't take back any long-term contracts (I am also wary of taking on long-term contracts on free agents this summer).

iggy for lee

Jackson for Snell

Maybe we could turn some 2nds into 1st and use Bruno , Guduric as filler.

Nothing crazy but two guys that are not playing into two guys that can atleast suit up and maybe help .

A swing for the fences type deal, but Tyus Jones and Kyle Anderson (plus a first and possibly a 2nd) for Derrick Rose and Tony Snell. 

The Pistons need to blow it up badly. Trade Drummond, probably trade Griffin in the offseason. Either way, they need to dump vets for assets. Tyus could be a great backup PG for them, plus he's still young. They get to take a look at Anderson as well who is on a decent contract and relatively young. They also get a first rounder for Rose, and you get off Snell's contract for next year. 

We get a way more dynamic backup point guard, plus he can play with Melton or Ja. Imagine how exciting having Ja and Rose on the same court would be. The fit is a little questionable, but the talent is undeniable. Snell is an upgrade over Kyle or Hill. He's been a knockdown shooter this year from deep, and plays decent defense as well. Having him off the bench would make us legit. 

I think moving Jae to the bench and starting Allen or Melton wouldn't be a bad idea. Jae could split his time more evenly between the 3 and 4 positions, as compared to him mostly playing 3 right now. 

39 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why does everyone want to sacrifice defense for more offense.  We have a good offense.  We need better defense.

Tyus and Rose are essentially the same, Hill and Snell are pretty much the same, Hill is a little better. So it's not really sacrificing defense and increasing offense even more. I'd really just be happy to get Snell for Hill to be quite honest, that would be fine with me. Jones is playing his role pretty well right now.  

7 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Tyus and Rose are essentially the same, Hill and Snell are pretty much the same, Hill is a little better. So it's not really sacrificing defense and increasing offense even more. I'd really just be happy to get Snell for Hill to be quite honest, that would be fine with me. Jones is playing his role pretty well right now.  

I'm sure a lot of folks would disagree, but as long as we're winning at a good clip I wouldn't tinker.  We're probably not winning the championship this season, and in the off season we'll have salary room and open roster spots.  IF we happen to make the playoffs the team gets experience and the FO can better assess what the team truly needs to win and will have the operating room to accomplish the mission.

5 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm sure a lot of folks would disagree, but as long as we're winning at a good clip I wouldn't tinker.  We're probably not winning the championship this season, and in the off season we'll have salary room and open roster spots.  IF we happen to make the playoffs the team gets experience and the FO can better assess what the team truly needs to win and will have the operating room to accomplish the mission.

Don't fix it if its not broken. 

23 hours ago, russian grizzly said:

We should keep off the Pistons guys

Theres no deal we could make with them that would be beneficial to both parties.

But I'd like to see how we could get Luke Kennard

Here is Dillon talking about (at ~3:50) how the team would be "mad", if I heard him correctly, if Jae/Hill were to be traded. Keeping ths team happy and having fun is worth so much more than what either of those two guys could get us. A couple of very marginal 2nd round picks this/next year? No thanks. Not interested. Keep these guys happy and having fun. That's the value they have for this team, not measly second rounders. 

Dillon also mentions toward the end, when asked about who has the biggest voice in the locker room, that Jae/Hill talk the most. Are we really going to disrupt everything that's great about this team?

Not only Dillion but everyone around the team has said the same thing Jae and Hill are key vets.

However 

If the right deal comes in you have to take it.

Lets say the Grizz get another Melton (wing version) and and a second you have to take it.

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Dillon also mentions toward the end, when asked about who has the biggest voice in the locker room, that Jae/Hill talk the most. Are we really going to disrupt everything that's great about this team?

Yeah, I have to agree in view of their performance and record since end of Nov.

Iguodiva is the only one who should be moved.

I'd like to see how Josh would respond to this leadership, and the now established pecking order, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

There's two trades I'd be willing to do at this point. 

The first one, and one that definitely is possible is Iggy plus Bruno (I guess, he'd have to be waived in this deal anyway), for KCP, Cook, and Cousins. We'd have to waive Marko, but who cares. I like KCP, he's been very efficient this year after a shaky start, and is an above average to good defender. Plus he's signed for next year. 

Waiving Marko means dead cap for next year, but who cares, it wasn't that much. KCP can play SG or SF, and would split time pretty evenly there. It should allow Jae to come off the bench and Dillon to play more SF (which is his best position). Keep cook as a backup, waive cousins, maybe sign a bench big with the extra spot. 

The other deal is probably too much disruption, but Iggy, Hill, for Gordon Hayward. Hayward doesn't fit in well with Boston. Iggy gives them a great defender off the bench, Hill is better than semi by a large margin. Hayward is an upgrade over Jae as a starter, but we also get to keep Jae. Hayward's contract is large, and he could opt out, but even if he doesn't his contract wouldn't prevent us from resigning Dillon, Melton, or Jae. He's realistically the best free agent we could get anyway. He can shoot, he can create his own shot, he's actually a pretty decent defender, and he can play SF or PF. He's a perfect fit theoretically. His trade value isn't super high either given the contract situation and injury history.

I know a large portion of you guys are against any trades, but I'm worried about us when we inevitably go on a losing streak. I love that we're winning, but it's largely been against lesser teams and teams resting their 2nd best player. I think we can be really good, but are one more solid wing piece from getting over the hump. 

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

I'd like to see how Josh would respond to this leadership, and the now established pecking order, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

I agree. This team love to be together and that will be one the key for PO. Trade diva + Josh and bring one more guy.

2 hours ago, costarica2 said:

Not only Dillion but everyone around the team has said the same thing Jae and Hill are key vets.

However 

If the right deal comes in you have to take it.

Lets say the Grizz get another Melton (wing version) and and a second you have to take it.

I think this is the most reasonable approach. You don’t actively shop them, but you have to be open to possible deals. Almost everyone in the league is tradeable for the right package.

That said, it’s encouraging to see how quickly this group has meshed and Jae and Hill have been a mey part of that. I personally wouldn’t trade any of them unless it was needed for a major deal. Definitely not for 2nd rounders projected to be in the 50s.

4 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I dont understand why they dont call up Josh if Jae/Solo are having that much positive impact on the young guys. Josh could take SlowMo, Allen and even Solo playing time and be a piece moving forward. They might dont believe he could turn things around.

6 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Here is Dillon talking about (at ~3:50) how the team would be "mad", if I heard him correctly, if Jae/Hill were to be traded. Keeping ths team happy and having fun is worth so much more than what either of those two guys could get us. A couple of very marginal 2nd round picks this/next year? No thanks. Not interested. Keep these guys happy and having fun. That's the value they have for this team, not measly second rounders. 

6 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I like the impact of both of those guys but I would only keep Jae, Solo we can move to upgrade our team, or even to get a young prospect or a good pick, like I said on the other thread, I would go after Morris with Solo and Josh, I dont think both of those guys are in the long term plans, so we should upgrade then into a elite shooter/defender that could help us in this years Playoffs

3 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I dont understand why they dont call up Josh if Jae/Solo are having that much positive impact on the young guys. Josh could take SlowMo, Allen and even Solo playing time and be a piece moving forward. They might dont believe he could turn things around.

Josh boat has sailed and it appears to me that the intention was to use him as trade piece all along. FO apparently was truly only interested in Melton.     Just like the sent Iggy home to wait on a trade it appears they did the same thing with Josh with the Hustle.    They didn't want to have to potential disruptive personalities anywhere close to this team.   

It looks like only the vets with good reps were kept on Varsity squad and they banished anyone else who could be negative influence (Parsons trade, Josh, and Iggy).   Seems like that move has paid dividends. 

Could be possible they also kept Bruno to include him in a trade too if needed.  At this point it's highly unlikely Jae or Solo get flipped for anything less than a 1rst rd pick.