I❤️JV

Buy, Sell, Hold: What Should Your NBA Team Do at This Year's Trade Deadline?

4 hours ago, costarica2 said:

Trade Iggy for sure most get something.

I do like Jae but if the right deal comes you have to let him go.

We don't even need anyone back we could just bring up Josh Jackson.

The Josh Jackson thing is the most important part, we can just pretend we acquired him in a trade for Iggy.

12 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I get what you were saying. If good small forwards were on the trading block then we should try to trade for them.  

Nevertheless, CP3 and Kevin Love are the best free agents on the chopping block.

In non-Twin Towers lineups, Jaren is a 5 and Love is a 4.  In small ball lineups CP is a HOF veteran lead guard and Ja is an electric, scintillating sensational 2 guard.  

A guard rotation of Ja, Chris Paul, Dillon, Melton, and Grayson would be fantastic. A big man rotation of Jaren, Jonas, Love, and Clarke would be awesome.  Then you still have Slo Mo at the 3.  Brooks can play there as can Clarke (probably) at least in spurts. Then you call up Yuta or grab a guy off the buyout scrap heap.  Probably both.  

In this fantasy land of idiocy. Where exactly to we get the contracts that equal the over 60 million in cap space it would take to trade for a 34 year old pg and a 32? year old power forward (who would both come off the bench because our cornerstones that we are building around play those positions and none of those dudes has the size to play multiple positions). Especially since in your scenario we aren’t trading JV. 

Then once you can’t answer that question, tell me how that would be more productive than having cap space in a summer where no team in a major market has cap space in a year when we can throw a large bag at shooters like Joe Harris and Bertans?

Then tell me what you’re smoking, because you’ve obviously been high for days. 

I think the real decision is on Jae Crowder, and I don't mean just at trade deadline, but for next year. If he is potentially part of the future, which his playing time indicates that he may be, then the asking price needs to be high.

I don't see a lot of appealing SF's out there better than Jae that are realistic FA targets. Maybe Jerami Grant or Will Barton from Denver (trade/FA talk), but what will Jae's price be.

But then again, what is the plan with Josh Jackson?

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think the real decision is on Jae Crowder, and I don't mean just at trade deadline, but for next year. If he is potentially part of the future, which his playing time indicates that he may be, then the asking price needs to be high.

I don't see a lot of appealing SF's out there better than Jae that are realistic FA targets. Maybe Jerami Grant or Will Barton from Denver (trade/FA talk), but what will Jae's price be.

But then again, what is the plan with Josh Jackson?

Million dollar question on Jae.   I think we will be fine at SF if we don't bring him back tho.    Dillon can slide over then we start Melton at the 2.   Can resign Solo for cheap deal and we still have SloMo who can play the 3 as well.    

if we do bring him back - i just don't want him starting alongside DB.    Grant nor Barton are natural SF's and Barton seems to be entrenched in DEN.      

Crazy thing is that if we are truly aiming for Playoffs next season then Crowder is exactly the guy we need to match-up against the Kawhi's, Lebrons, and PGs of the world.  

So there is a legit argument to keep him. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Million dollar question on Jae.   I think we will be fine at SF if we don't bring him back tho.    Dillon can slide over then we start Melton at the 2.   Can resign Solo for cheap deal and we still have SloMo who can play the 3 as well.    

if we do bring him back - i just don't want him starting alongside DB.    Grant nor Barton are natural SF's and Barton seems to be entrenched in DEN.      

Crazy thing is that if we are truly aiming for Playoffs next season then Crowder is exactly the guy we need to match-up against the Kawhi's, Lebrons, and PGs of the world.  

So there is a legit argument to keep him. 

I don’t see why people are acting like Jae is 35 and about to be out of the league. He’s only 29 that means 4ish more years of production. He’s exactly the type of dude we need on the roster next year if we trade him we’ll be looking for another him this summer. 

The only real questions are what is going to be offered for him (I believe either a currently productive young guy or a first round pick is the price), and is he willing to re-sign which only the FO knows. If he is willing to, we keep him unless offered the above. If he’s not, we get whatever we can now. 

7 minutes ago, King Dork said:

I don’t see why people are acting like Jae is 35 and about to be out of the league. He’s only 29 that means 4ish more years of production. He’s exactly the type of dude we need on the roster next year if we trade him we’ll be looking for another him this summer. 

The only real questions are what is going to be offered for him (I believe either a currently productive young guy or a first round pick is the price), and is he willing to re-sign which only the FO knows. If he is willing to, we keep him unless offered the above. If he’s not, we get whatever we can now. 

That makes sense.    I hope they are already in discussions with him about his future.   If Jae is willing to come back on team friendly deal then no reason to trade him.   Especially since we already have Iggy trade in our backpocket.   

42 minutes ago, King Dork said:

He’s exactly the type of dude we need on the roster next year if we trade him we’ll be looking for another him this summer. 

this

I wouldn't fault Jae for chasing the $. Even including this year, he'll have "only" made about $37 million for his entire career. That's peanuts compared to some of the overpaid guys we've had to suffer with on this roster (*cough*Parsons*cough*). This will be his last major contract and he should be looking to get those checks.

On 1/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, I❤️JV said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...trade-deadline

very good article about every team

Memphis Grizzlies: Sell(ish)

• Congratulations to the Memphis Grizzlies for making this much tougher than it's supposed to be. 
    They should be sellers. This is the first year they don't have one of Grit-and-Grind's founding fathers on the roster since 2007. They have a nice core with Brandon Clarke, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Ja Morant, but they're in the infancy of a new era. That transition takes time.
    Try telling that to the baby Grizzlies.
    They're 10-6 over the past month with a top-four offensive rating and top-two effective field-goal percentage. Though still comfortably under .500, they've clawed their way up to ninth in the Western Conference, a mere heartbeat away from the eighth-place San Antonio Spurs.
    Steering into this unexpected rise remains taboo. The Grizzlies aren't trying to rebuild themselves into a first-round steppingstone. This most recent ascent could be a flash in the pan, or maybe it's a sign they're ahead of schedule. Either way, they need to be prioritizing next season and beyond over what's happening now.
    That doesn't mean they have to unload their asset clip. They're sellers in the most literal sense because they're trying to turn Andre Iguodala into a first-round pick. They're not obligated to move anyone else. 
    The laws of due diligence mandate they measure Jae Crowder's market value. He hits free agency this summer and is a lock to get mid-level money or more. And yet, if the offers aren't there, they don't have to force it. A surprise playoff push is worth more than a just-because return, and this isn't Tyreke Evans circa 2018. Memphis has Crowder's Bird rights.
    Nobody else on the roster poses the same half-dilemma. De'Anthony Melton is set for restricted free agency but unlikely to land a lucrative contract. Kyle Anderson (26) and Jonas Valanciunas (27) haven't aged out of the team's timeline. The Grizzlies don't have to worry about the implications of losing Solomon Hill or G Leaguer Josh Jackson in free agency.
    Theirs is an enviable position heading into the trade deadline. They can sell or (mostly) stand pat. The choice is theirs, and there's no wrong answer.

Still would love to see Jackson get some run with us. Maybe if Iggy is traded?

Having a Crowder type wing is good but it's not the end all be all there are other tough wings that can defend alot of people say Boston would be a good place to send Crowder so how about we take their young defensive wing that's in and out of their lineup. Of course I advocated for him when we wasted our pick on Rabb 

I 100% believe Josh gets called up after the deadline

I think a lot of people are undervaluing Crowder's impact in terms of leadership. We need to hold onto him this off-season as long as it's at a reasonable price. You can't just throw a bunch of young guys out there and expect them to win. You need a few solid vets. 

2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Having a Crowder type wing is good but it's not the end all be all there are other tough wings that can defend alot of people say Boston would be a good place to send Crowder so how about we take their young defensive wing that's in and out of their lineup. Of course I advocated for him when we wasted our pick on Rabb 

Semi Ojeleye can’t shoot at all. 

48 minutes ago, King Dork said:

I thought he was an undersized 4.  Or just a stubby 4.  

Grant Williams is nice but he is also an undersized 4. But he’s toolsy.

I really want Tacko Fall from them but I actually don’t think that Boston will trade him.  

Ironically, Iggy’s trade value went UP last night. Other teams are wondering how much better our roster would be with Iggy. Even just an old, rusty Iggy.  He’s the perfect type of defender to throw at LeBron, Luka, and Kawhi/PG13. And, I am guessing he is a guy who can maybe slow down Giannis a bit.

#Grizzlies2020

Jae Crowder is just a stopgap. If you can turn him into something better for the long term, you do it.

Jae is having a quietly terrible season. He's putting up decent production, but at terrible efficiency. He's also just a role player. He's on an expiring deal, and I wouldn't want to really waste cap space on him next season. They need a more efficient, higher impact player at the SF spot. It could be someone exactly the same age as Jae, but just better. 

SF has to be the priority for this team in terms of filling in gaps. Crowder is not really a short or long term solution to anything. I like how people reference "leadership", as if there would be some vacuum if he was gone. Also, what point is leadership from a guy who plays bad a lot of time he's on the court? 

The ideal would be to have a pretty good player who gives shooting, playmaking and defense. Crowder really isn't doing any of those things all that well or consistently. Or you know, an all-star if somehow you could snag one.

Out of the current rotation, I'd try to keep Ja, JJJ, JV, Clarke, Brooks, Melton and maybe Anderson. Everyone else can be moved. Melton has been a nice surprise, doing a lot of things somewhat well. He makes Jones completely expendable. Jones is a reliably mediocre point guard. Does some things well but doesn't really move the needle. 

Now, I don't know if any deal will come along that makes sense. Grizzlies are probably best off standing pat and letting the season play out, making moves in the summer instead. Guys like Crowder, Jones and Allen aren't exactly prized assets teams will be drooling over. Maybe added to Iguodala's expiring deal and a draft pick, you could get a good piece, but not sure the Grizzlies should consider trading any picks. The player coming back would have to be an all-star.

9 minutes ago, Everett said:

Jae Crowder is just a stopgap. If you can turn him into something better for the long term, you do it.

Jae is having a quietly terrible season. He's putting up decent production, but at terrible efficiency. He's also just a role player. He's on an expiring deal, and I wouldn't want to really waste cap space on him next season. They need a more efficient, higher impact player at the SF spot. It could be someone exactly the same age as Jae, but just better. 

SF has to be the priority for this team in terms of filling in gaps. Crowder is not really a short or long term solution to anything. I like how people reference "leadership", as if there would be some vacuum if he was gone. Also, what point is leadership from a guy who plays bad a lot of time he's on the court? 

The ideal would be to have a pretty good player who gives shooting, playmaking and defense. Crowder really isn't doing any of those things all that well or consistently. Or you know, an all-star if somehow you could snag one.

Out of the current rotation, I'd try to keep Ja, JJJ, JV, Clarke, Brooks, Melton and maybe Anderson. Everyone else can be moved. Melton has been a nice surprise, doing a lot of things somewhat well. He makes Jones completely expendable. Jones is a reliably mediocre point guard. Does some things well but doesn't really move the needle. 

Now, I don't know if any deal will come along that makes sense. Grizzlies are probably best off standing pat and letting the season play out, making moves in the summer instead. Guys like Crowder, Jones and Allen aren't exactly prized assets teams will be drooling over. Maybe added to Iguodala's expiring deal and a draft pick, you could get a good piece, but not sure the Grizzlies should consider trading any picks. The player coming back would have to be an all-star.

So who fills the gap when he's gone?  The young guys look up to him and he adds a lot more than the stat page shows.

I disagree about Melton making Tyus expendable.  Maybe at some point in the future, but not now.  In case you haven't been watching Melton (and Ja) can go through some bad turnover stretches.  Tyus is among the league leader in assist-to-turnover ratio again this season after leading the league last year.  He gives us stability at the PG position and assists at the highest rate per minute of any Grizzlies player.  I'm perfectly fine with him as backup PG leaving Mr. Do Something as a combo guard who can defend, facilitate, and score.

34 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

So who fills the gap when he's gone?  The young guys look up to him and he adds a lot more than the stat page shows.

I disagree about Melton making Tyus expendable.  Maybe at some point in the future, but not now.  In case you haven't been watching Melton (and Ja) can go through some bad turnover stretches.  Tyus is among the league leader in assist-to-turnover ratio again this season after leading the league last year.  He gives us stability at the PG position and assists at the highest rate per minute of any Grizzlies player.  I'm perfectly fine with him as backup PG leaving Mr. Do Something as a combo guard who can defend, facilitate, and score.

Low turnovers but also relatively low impact for Tyus. He isn't enough of a threat as a shooter or scorer to help open up your offense. He makes good decisions, but his options are limited. Melton, at least so far, looks like he has more areas he can be a threat in, including defense and that's a big one. Good perimeter D is critical in today's league. So yes, I'd say Tyus is expendable. I wouldn't look to trade him, but he's available in the right deal. I'd trade him without hesitating if he could net you an improvement somewhere else on the roster.

I don't know where that impression comes from for Crowder. I'm not saying he's low character, but you can get leadership from all kinds of places, and it also matters if your leaders contribute on the court. Is he singlehandedly propping up the collective psyche of the team? Don't think so. I think the character of guys on the team is more than good enough to absorb losing Crowder's "leadership". Not just vets like JV, Anderson and Hill, but even the young guys all look like they have good heads on their shoulders. I mean, you also can't assume that if they traded him/replaced him with a free agent in the summer, that the new player would be low character. So yeah, I think getting a guy who isn't a terrible shooter and inconsistent performer would be a priority, and keeping Crowder around should not be. 

There are gonna be 29 teams who are gonna be scared to death at the trade deadline wondering if we have figured out that our window is “wide open”.  

Love is gettable. And he’s 31 not FORTY ONE. Plus we would get a honeymoon period where K Love plays like he got a get-out-of-jail-free card.

CP3 might be obtainable but the Thunder rolls and Paul/Schroeder/Shai/Gallo/Adams is the best five man unit in the league (net rg or something).  

The free agent class don’t inspire me.  Neither does the 2021 draft (but deep in terms of fringe core and rotation guys).  

We can make our moves at this year’s trade deadline and in the summer of 2021.  

If we can’t move Iggy to Dallas or Miami I would see if the Lakers want him or Jae.  Gimme Jared Dudley, Troy Daniels, Kostas Freak and a future 2nd rounder for Jae and Marko and I’m good.  

Also, if we make that smaller move first it might scare the Mavs to trade for Iggy.  

We can do Iggy, cash and the Suns 2nd rounder for Courtney Lee, plus the Warriors 2nd and the Mavs 2nd (late 40’s???).  

If the Knicks go after Andre Drummond then I am throwing expiring contracts and the Suns 2nd at Mitchell Robinson.

Some other youngsters that I like but probably can’t get: Donte Inferno, Mikal Bridges, Duncan Robinson, and Mo Bamba.  

If the Warriors are gonna reload — especially if they can make a legit run at the Greek Freek — then they could use our expiring contracts.  Eric Paschall would be a perfect fit on our team....

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

There are gonna be 29 teams who are gonna be scared to death at the trade deadline wondering if we have figured out that our window is “wide open”.  

Love is gettable. And he’s 31 not FORTY ONE. Plus we would get a honeymoon period where K Love plays like he got a get-out-of-jail-free card.

CP3 might be obtainable but the Thunder rolls and Paul/Schroeder/Shai/Gallo/Adams is the best five man unit in the league (net rg or something).  

The free agent class don’t inspire me.  Neither does the 2021 draft (but deep in terms of fringe core and rotation guys).  

If we can’t move Iggy to Dallas or Miami I would see if the Lakers want him or Jae.  Gimme Jared Dudley, Troy Daniels, Kostas Freak and a future 2nd rounder for Jae and Marko and I’m good.  

Also, if we make that smaller move first it might scare the Mavs to trade for Iggy.  

We can do Iggy, cash and the Suns 2nd rounder for Courtney Lee, plus the Warriors 2nd and the Mavs 2nd (late 40’s???).  

If the Knicks go after Andre Drummond then I am throwing expiring contracts and the Suns 2nd at Mitchell Robinson.

Some other youngsters that I like but probably can’t get: Donte Inferno, Mikal Bridges, Duncan Robinson, and Mo Bamba.  

If the Warriors are gonna reload — especially if they can make a legit run at the Greek Freek — then they could use our expiring contracts.  Eric Paschall would be a perfect fit on our team....

Bro no one wants Chris nor love bro

12 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I don't know why you seem so obsessed with getting KL. Are you suggesting we start Love or bring him off the bench? Is he playing 4 or 5? I just don't see the point of bringing him on this year. He would be a vast improvement over Hill off the bench, but otherwise it would disrupt all of our rotations and remove our flexibility financially. It just makes no sense IMO. If you want to make a trade, find a scoring 2 or 3, otherwise do nothing but trade Iggy for whatever you can get. 

12 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

I don't know why you seem so obsessed with getting KL. Are you suggesting we start Love or bring him off the bench? Is he playing 4 or 5? I just don't see the point of bringing him on this year. He would be a vast improvement over Hill off the bench, but otherwise it would disrupt all of our rotations and remove our flexibility financially. It just makes no sense IMO. If you want to make a trade, find a scoring 2 or 3, otherwise do nothing but trade Iggy for whatever you can get. 

I would bring Love off the bench.  Then you bring him in for either Jaren or Jonas.  

Love allows you to play Jaren at the 4. Imagine a 4 out offense with Ja and CP3 in the backcourt with Dillon/Love/Jaren on the front line.  

CP3 is a part of the best lineup in basketball with the other four guys being Shai, Dennis Schroeder, Gallo, and Adams. He’s still really, really good. And he would be our toughest guard our best defensive point guard AND our best mid-range threat.  

Our starters could be most of our same guys and actually the starting lineup that we had when Jae was out of action a couple of weeks ago: Ja, Dillon, Slo Mo, Jaren and Jonas.  Clarke can still be our super sub.  Then our bench mob would be Chris Paul, Grayson Allen, Yuta, Kevin Love and Bruno.  Amongst that bench mob, CP3, Love and Grayson are the shooters/scorers, Yuta is the defensive intangibles guy who can also make some plays with Bruno being the long, athletic rim runner and rim protector.  I can also imagine us picking up a cheap small forward in the buy out scrap heap.  

I could see us closing out games with Ja, Paul, and Jaren as our Big 3 with some combo of Dillon, Clarke, Jonas, Grayson Allen or Slo Mo. 

I looked at the list of 2020 free agents. I don’t really like any of them. Not even Ingram, Joe Harris, or Bogdonovic.

Should we go after Marc Gasol?  Would love for him to retire here.  Especially if he can help us win a title.

Who’s a free agent in 2020?

Oh, we could use AD.  Anybody wanna show him around town this summer?

5 hours ago, King Dork said:

So......Brandon Clarke couldn't shoot either it's hard being apart of a fan group slash message board when there is so much polluted group think....  

14 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I looked at the list of 2020 free agents. I don’t really like any of them. Not even Ingram, Joe Harris, or Bogdonovic.

Should we go after Marc Gasol?  Would love for him to retire here.  Especially if he can help us win a title.

Who’s a free agent in 2020?

Oh, we could use AD.  Anybody wanna show him around town this summer?

I'm thinking maybe we should hold off until 2021. Ja and Jaren are legit stars and this will be a much hotter destination than it's ever been. Everyone will be trying to get in on Giannis, Lebron, & Paul George so we could try to sneakily nab someone in the tier below like Beal or Oladipo.