Sign in to follow this  
Ole Dirty Klondike

Ja Was A Nobody

From nobodies to somebodies. Hard work and dedication, a concept that has stood the test of time.

great story

With Curry out. It can be argued that Ja is the best point guard in the league at 20 years old. 

9 minutes ago, Allen said:

With Curry out. It can be argued that Ja is the best point guard in the league at 20 years old. 

I think I heard people saying Paul Pierce said that Ja needs to be in the All-Star game.

Also, as far as any Ja-Trae Young comparisons for best young G, Young puts up a bunch of stats, but he hasn't really helped his team win. I think the nod goes clearly to Ja. He takes over in the 4Q.

12 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I think I heard people saying Paul Pierce said that Ja needs to be in the All-Star game.

Also, as far as any Ja-Trae Young comparisons for best young G, Young puts up a bunch of stats, but he hasn't really helped his team win. I think the nod goes clearly to Ja. He takes over in the 4Q.

Trae Young is putting up big stats in a lot of blowouts and no pressure situations. When you watch the Hawks, when the other team turns the pressure up, they get outta control. You cant always play high risk high reward basketball. They lose because this is pretty much all they do.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/13/21062904/nba-rookie-player-comps-ja-morant

Ja Morant, Grizzlies

Top five comps: (1) Steve Francis, (2) Tyreke Evans, (3) Darren Collison, (4) Trae Young, (5) Brandon Roy

What it means: Morant is on pace to be the ninth rookie in NBA history to average 17 points and six assists per game. The previous eight such players form an elite bunch: Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Damon Stoudamire, Allen Iverson, Francis, Damian Lillard, and Young. So even a quick perusal of Morant’s most basic per-game numbers suggests his immense potential.

So do his broader advanced and underlying numbers, as reflected here. But these comps say more than just that Morant will be—or, in fact, already is—a great offensive guard. Note that four of his top five comps were rookies in 2009-10 or earlier. He’s a bit of a throwback guard to the pre-spacing era, a slasher who scores and creates by penetrating to the rim more than pulling up from 25 feet. (Young, the one exception here, appears on Morant’s comp list because his other statistics are incredibly similar, even if his 3PAr diverges considerably.) The sixth name on Morant’s comp list adds even more evidence: Dwyane Wade.

27 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/13/21062904/nba-rookie-player-comps-ja-morant

Ja Morant, Grizzlies

Top five comps: (1) Steve Francis, (2) Tyreke Evans, (3) Darren Collison, (4) Trae Young, (5) Brandon Roy

What it means: Morant is on pace to be the ninth rookie in NBA history to average 17 points and six assists per game. The previous eight such players form an elite bunch: Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Damon Stoudamire, Allen Iverson, Francis, Damian Lillard, and Young. So even a quick perusal of Morant’s most basic per-game numbers suggests his immense potential.

So do his broader advanced and underlying numbers, as reflected here. But these comps say more than just that Morant will be—or, in fact, already is—a great offensive guard. Note that four of his top five comps were rookies in 2009-10 or earlier. He’s a bit of a throwback guard to the pre-spacing era, a slasher who scores and creates by penetrating to the rim more than pulling up from 25 feet. (Young, the one exception here, appears on Morant’s comp list because his other statistics are incredibly similar, even if his 3PAr diverges considerably.) The sixth name on Morant’s comp list adds even more evidence: Dwyane Wade.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761104a0ed3e034ef3879b

Ja seems like he is close to averaging rookie Penny numbers. I think Hardaway went for 16-6-4.  

Ja was actually in the 1 spot in some of the mock drafts around this time last year when Zion was out with his busted knee/busted shoe/busted ego.  Ja probably shoulda stayed at 1. 

One guy at RealGM had Ja Morant as his “lotto sleeper” pick before last season.  But yeah he was under the radar.  I will have to go through those RealGM threads to see how he was armchair scouted.  

Hopefully Morant turns a strong start in Ja-nuary (with all apologies to Jarenuary and Jonasuary) into the dunk title/ROY/playoffs trio. Then he will be DEFINITIVELY on the map — globally.  

Teams at the top of the lotto are gonna try to find the next Luka/Ja/Jaren. I think they will be disappointed.  

It might be a “bad” draft or at least a weird one but I should have some fun piecing together my 2020 Draft Big Board.

I might even do a Ja-tential big board, a Lukatential big boat and a Jarentential big board but I am not liking the early returns. Better luck finding a Mitch Rob prototype or a Matisse Thybulle prototype.  And, of course, high volume shooters.  

On 1/11/2020 at 8:04 AM, lions said:

great story

from a no body to ROOKIE of the year

yes 2020 rookie of the year

Jenkins will received coach of the year votes 

19 hours ago, lions said:

yes 2020 rookie of the year

That's what it looks like.  Not that Ja isn't running away with this thing in his own right, but Zion is gonna be LOAD MANAGED for the rest of the year when he gets back and Nunn/Herro have maxed out (although I think they will finish strong), and PJ Washington is on a loser team.  RJ Barrett has picked it up a bit recently but he is too far behind.  My number 2 pick Sekou Doumbouya MIGHT make a run but he had a late start, and is on a bad/mediocre team, too.  

Next year's ROY might be Dylan Windler.  He is out for the year and was 3 on my last big board, but he can shoot/score and this is a shoot/score league.

Bol Bol might even be eligible for the ROY 2021 award.

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

That's what it looks like.  Not that Ja isn't running away with this thing in his own right, but Zion is gonna be LOAD MANAGED for the rest of the year when he gets back and Nunn/Herro have maxed out (although I think they will finish strong), and PJ Washington is on a loser team.  RJ Barrett has picked it up a bit recently but he is too far behind.  My number 2 pick Sekou Doumbouya MIGHT make a run but he had a late start, and is on a bad/mediocre team, too.  

Next year's ROY might be Dylan Windler.  He is out for the year and was 3 on my last big board, but he can shoot/score and this is a shoot/score league.

Bol Bol might even be eligible for the ROY 2021 award.

BOl BOl  I will think he might be of the league in3/4 years 

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Possibly.

However, he could peak early.

to thin like his father 

2 minutes ago, lions said:

to thin like his father 

His dad kinda played forever.  Solidly long career especially given his build.  Although I don't think he payed TONS of minutes (even though he was always a rotation type player).

34 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

His dad kinda played forever.  Solidly long career especially given his build.  Although I don't think he payed TONS of minutes (even though he was always a rotation type player).

you can.t teach height 

Is this love?

Kia MVP Ladder mailbag: Ja Morant may have a future someday in MVP mix

Fielding your questions on Donovan Mitchell, James Harden, LeBron James and more

Sekou Smith NBA.com

Jan 14, 2020 11:20 AM ET

(..)

Tonight’s game also provides viewers an interesting glimpse at the Kia MVP past (Westbrook won the award in 2017), present (James Harden won in 2018 and is in the thick of this chase) and perhaps its future (Morant leads the Kia Rookie Ladder and could be a Kia MVP candidate sooner than later).

On 1/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Correct

We all need to remember that Tony Wroten averaged 17 pts and 5 assists when playing for a 18 win Sixers team.

Although impressive, stats for players on bad teams are like G-League/ summer league stats, Yoga pants and push up bras....interesting to look at but potentially devastatingly deceptive.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ja Morant, Grizzlies

Ja's name should not be mentioned in the same country with that bum Francis.