Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

New Orleans Pelicans vs Memphis Grizzlies 1/20/20

Recommended Posts

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Date/Time: Monday, January 20, 4:00 PM

Memphis Grizzlies vs New Orleans Pelicans

Location: FedEx Forum, Memphis TN

Television: NBALP | Fox Sports South

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: Martin Luther King Jr. Day Game presented by Mid-South Ford Dealers

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn


Grizzlies Starting 5

Ja Morant Dillon Brooks Jae Crowder Jaren Jackson Jonas Valanciunas
1629630.png 1628415.png 203109.png 1628991.png 202685.png
 

Pelicans Starting 5

Lonzo Ball Jrue Holiday J J Reddick Brandon Ingram Derick Favors
1628366.png 201950.png 200755.png 1627742.png 202324.png

Benches

Memphis Grizzlies: Grayson Allen, Kyle Anderson, Brandon Clarke, Bruno Caboclo, Marco Guduric, Solomon Hill, Tyus Jones, John Kuchar (2), De'Anthony Melton, Yuta Watanabe (2)

New Orleans: Nickiel Alexander-Walker, Zylan Cheatham, Josh Gray, Josh Hart, Jaxson Hayes, Frank Jackson, Nicolo Melli, Darius Miller, E'Twaun Moore, Jahlil Okafor, Kenrich Williams, Zion Williamson

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Pelicans: Preview | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | 

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly Zion's debut will be january 22nd. I don't see why they would put him on full display on a national holiday game. So many people will be off for work plus so many will be tuning in for Ja, if Zion played, it could have been the most eyes on a Grizz game in several years. 

I hate that NOP are holding him out until 1/22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I see the meds have kicked in Chip.  Nice.

Yes, nice work.

I had to look at Casspi for about 3 minutes before remembering his name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sadly Zion's debut will be january 22nd. I don't see why they would put him on full display on a national holiday game. So many people will be off for work plus so many will be tuning in for Ja, if Zion played, it could have been the most eyes on a Grizz game in several years. 

I hate that NOP are holding him out until 1/22.

Mad that Zion isn't gonna play, but could end up being a full game swing over the Spurs.  We can beat a non-Zion Pels team then maybe they come back WITH ZION to beat the Spurs.

New Orleans would still be 4ish games behind us but we would at least be a full game up on the Spurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sadly Zion's debut will be january 22nd. I don't see why they would put him on full display on a national holiday game. So many people will be off for work plus so many will be tuning in for Ja, if Zion played, it could have been the most eyes on a Grizz game in several years. 

I hate that NOP are holding him out until 1/22.

Have been thinking the same thing for weeks. Was certain he would debut on Beale St....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Have been thinking the same thing for weeks. Was certain he would debut on Beale St....

I thought so too, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.  Zion isn't going to walk onto the court and suddenly dominate.  And I think New Orleans doesn't want his first game back to be against Ja, aka the rookie of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CarloJ63 said:

I thought so too, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.  Zion isn't going to walk onto the court and suddenly dominate.  And I think New Orleans doesn't want his first game back to be against Ja, aka the rookie of the year.

They want his first game back to be in New Orleans which is the next day.     Its understandable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

keep it going. new orleans is a good young team this will down to the wire 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

They want his first game back to be in New Orleans which is the next day.     Its understandable. 

Let's be honest, he's ducking the work from Ja.

No disrespect but it's the facts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Let's be honest, he's ducking the work from Ja.

No disrespect but it's the facts

:lol:  Let's hope it's always that way.  No ill will towards Zion intended, but he's on a division rival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will make it more tough for PO. Zion is really good and NO will probably win lots of games after he is on track. + SA+ Portland, still long road but whatever happen it's fun to watch. Go Grizzzz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

I like their rookie Jaxon Hayes.  I think that kid has the potential to be really good.

I like rim runners, and he is your typical rim runner.  

Needs to get stronger, but he should be good for them.  I think the Pelicans actually played better WITHOUT Zion in summer league, just using Hayes more.

Don't see how Zion and Hayes are a good fit... I don't see enough shooting with that combo, AND if I get a big man I want one who can dunk and block shots (longer guys over stubby dudes).

Well, the Pelicans will be at "full strength" -- that just means we have to keep winning.

Some of those other West teams will start to tank and whatever... just have to do our thing.  

There would be worse things than having a nearly 40 game playoff push, going down to the last day of the season, where we either get in OR we still have a ton of buzz, miss out, and keep a 1%ish shot at the top draft pick.

Winning beats losing -- if only for bragging rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Will make it more tough for PO. Zion is really good and NO will probably win lots of games after he is on track. + SA+ Portland, still long road but whatever happen it's fun to watch. Go Grizzzz!

The race for 8th is gonna be like of those old classic pennant races in baseball.

Probably the upcoming "best" story lines for the NBA aside from LA Teams/Zion/The Ja Show/Giannis/Luka/Heat's "Miami Vice" jerseys.

The NBA should probably milk the "8th Place Chase" for all its worth.  Market/brand teams again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 4:06 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Sadly Zion's debut will be january 22nd. I don't see why they would put him on full display on a national holiday game. So many people will be off for work plus so many will be tuning in for Ja, if Zion played, it could have been the most eyes on a Grizz game in several years. 

I hate that NOP are holding him out until 1/22.

I wanted the Ja x Zion so much, when the released the schedule and I saw MLK game was that I already got pumped now that I see what our team is capable of, I wanted it. We better crush those guys to get the streak. I want 3 Ws on those next 3 games, after that we can go over .500 and we make the All Star break at 6th or 7th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TRE2K3 said:

Ingram just dropped 49 in a win against Utah

If we could add Ingram - I would predict championship in 4 years.    he is 100% the piece we are missing now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If we could add Ingram - I would predict championship in 4 years.    he is 100% the piece we are missing now.  

....If we could add Ingram...then Pels GM gets fired next day....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

I wanted the Ja x Zion so much, when the released the schedule and I saw MLK game was that I already got pumped now that I see what our team is capable of, I wanted it. We better crush those guys to get the streak. I want 3 Ws on those next 3 games, after that we can go over .500 and we make the All Star break at 6th or 7th.

We play 'em again here in March.  Odds of BOTH Ja and Zion playing in that game are less than 100% (obviously).

Not that Ja and Zion would guard each other, but if there are switches and those two end up on each other then that hopefully ends up with an internet-breaking.

Jaren/Zion is the match-up to watch.  They probably guard each other.  If Jaren owns that match-up then that would be HUGE for us (and a red flag for ZioNation).

Zion probably has too much bulk for Clarke.  Might even be more athletic than Clarke (although at this point I bet Clarke jumps faster).  If Crowder is still here, then I actually really like Jae Crowder on Zion Williamson.  Crowder seems like a sneaky 'Zion stopper' or at least the potential is there.

With us being in the division of death, I think we should go after guys (free agency/trade/draft) who can theoretically guard the wonder trio of Zion/Luka/Harden.  A strong, defensive-minded combo forward probably has relatively more value on our team (or a team in our division), although that should still be an emerging archetype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see anyone stopping Zion, short of LeBron. No, he would overpower him too. They may have to change the rules for him a la Kareem. Jonas?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wells said:

Clarke guarded Zion when Gonzaga beat Duke last year.

I agree Clarke is the guy to guard him.  Zion is too quick for Jonas, and too strong for Jaren.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I agree Clarke is the guy to guard him.  Zion is too quick for Jonas, and too strong for Jaren.  

He's not going to be too strong for Clarke?  I love Brandon but he doesn't seem that strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Wells said:

Clarke guarded Zion when Gonzaga beat Duke last year.

How did he do against him? I mean I guess I could just google it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this