Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

Darrell Arthur /Quincy Pondexter both  former 1 rounder 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, TRE2K3 said:

If the 2016 Grizz can make it, it shouldn't be hard for these guys barring any major injury. 

That was a solid G League team 

11 hours ago, lions said:

I can.t remember when Darrell Arthur was ever  good at all . I believe he fell in the draft because of a hart problem .

You must have been asleep during the 2010-2011 season.  He was looking like a very promising, solid contributor and an exciting young player before he ruptured his Achilles.  I'll never forget that block of Tony Parker's shot and finish on the other end against SAS in the playoffs.  I think if he had not gotten injured he could have been very good for us.  Besides his high flying finishes he had a nice mid-range jumper near the top of the key and had become a favorite target of Greivis Vasquez when they came off the bench.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You must have been asleep during the 2010-2011 season.  He was looking like a very promising, solid contributor and an exciting young player before he ruptured his Achilles.  I'll never forget that block of Tony Parker's shot and finish on the other end against SAS in the playoffs.  I think if he had not gotten injured he could have been very good for us.  Besides his high flying finishes he had a nice mid-range jumper near the top of the key and had become a favorite target of Greivis Vasquez when they came off the bench.

Darrell had some good games, the only think I,m trying to say when the grizzlies drafted him he was the steal of the draft .he turn out to me a disaportment 

40 minutes ago, lions said:

Darrell had some good games, the only think I,m trying to say when the grizzlies drafted him he was the steal of the draft .he turn out to me a disaportment 

Come on, man, he was the Hornets' number 27 pick that we traded the 28th to get.  It isn't like he was a lottery pick.  What were you expecting?  Before his injury he was giving us solid bench production on both ends of the floor as well as an energy boost in 20 mpg.  Nothing wrong with that.  Maybe your expectations were just too high.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:53 AM, TRE2K3 said:

He doesnt have that homegrown player no more. 

He did. That guy essentially forced his way out and was dealt to Toronto.

That guy ended the Heat superteam.

That guy ended the Durant Warriors dynasty

I guess that guy also ended the Spurs as we knew them.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:17 PM, fanboyslim said:

We have a .667 record since Ja returned from injury. Just saying.

Hmmm That's a pretty pretty pretty good fact. The offense looks so much better with him and lost without him 

On 1/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, smit-tay griz said:

Good memories.  He was a solid energy guy off the bench.

DA's issues were injury related, but his career exceeded what a typical very late first rounders was.

I don't know if it was training related or just bad luck, but he constantly was getting injured some years, it seemed.

15 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

He did. That guy essentially forced his way out and was dealt to Toronto.

That guy ended the Heat superteam.

That guy ended the Durant Warriors dynasty

I guess that guy also ended the Spurs as we knew them.

He now has to build around Lonnie and Dejounte. Being a lottery team with 2 allstars is not good at all.

I think it's finally a good loss.  PO will be tough to go this year . We have to wait the trade deadline and see which move affect the team we fight with. Buti i'm afraid SA, NO, Phoenix and even Portland may be stronger than us when money time come.

It's not big deal, we have a fun year to watch and look the kids progress. Of course i will be happy if we move Iggy + another guy and get one good player for the second part.

I do hope we get another consistent wing player, preferably a SF, because Crowder ain't it. He's still a nice player to have, but he'd be better off the bench. Maybe Barnes or Hayward could be acquired for relatively cheap, but it's not with giving up an actual asset to get. Combination of expiring contracts, plus maybe a second is all I'm willing to give up. 

While I've enjoyed our run, I do think it'll be hard for us to maintain it over the second half of the season. It's still good experience (fighting for a playoff spot) that should help us for next year and beyond. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

While I've enjoyed our run, I do think it'll be hard for us to maintain it over the second half of the season. It's still good experience (fighting for a playoff spot) that should help us for next year and beyond. 

Maybe we catch another 7 game win streak soon and pull away.  Although it is doubtful that ANY team pulls away.  

This should go down to the final week.  Maybe the last game of the season.

I think it is a great narrative for the league -- especially since Ja/Zion are at the heart of the Race For 8th.  Now would be as good a time as any to Push/Market/Brand TEAMS.  The league lucked out that Luka/Ja/Zion's teams are either solid-ish playoff teams (Mavs), or in the hunt (Ja who would be in, and Zion on a plucky Pelicans team).

If the West reverts to normal then it might take 45 wins to get that 8th seed.  I think we will be in the hunt pretty much the whole way, but if we play .500 ball the rest of the way I wouldn't be too disappointed.  

The "ROY narrative" between Ja/Zion might go down to the wire too, but it might be more theoretical.  Ja just put up 16/9 in a BAD GAME (mostly cheap/fake stats though), and I don't really see Zion averaging more than 18/8 a night -- they load manage his minutes, and, honestly, he has never been some AWESOME rebounder (not in college, tourney play, summer league or preseason).  

Ja needs some BAD games (with no cheap fake garbage-time stats) COUPLED WITH several MONSTER games; a few 30/20 games, a couple of triple doubles, and a random 50 point game.  Then the Pels would have to surge into the playoffs while the Grizzlies fade down the stretch.

Perhaps the Race For 8th and the ROY " potential horse race" (media narrative mostly) are the main, compelling parallel narratives down the stretch.  The Freak Bucks look to run away with the East, with their ring leader looking to run away with the MVP hardware.

32 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Maybe we catch another 7 game win streak soon and pull away.  Although it is doubtful that ANY team pulls away.  

This should go down to the final week.  Maybe the last game of the season.

I think it is a great narrative for the league -- especially since Ja/Zion are at the heart of the Race For 8th.  Now would be as good a time as any to Push/Market/Brand TEAMS.  The league lucked out that Luka/Ja/Zion's teams are either solid-ish playoff teams (Mavs), or in the hunt (Ja who would be in, and Zion on a plucky Pelicans team).

If the West reverts to normal then it might take 45 wins to get that 8th seed.  I think we will be in the hunt pretty much the whole way, but if we play .500 ball the rest of the way I wouldn't be too disappointed.  

The "ROY narrative" between Ja/Zion might go down to the wire too, but it might be more theoretical.  Ja just put up 16/9 in a BAD GAME (mostly cheap/fake stats though), and I don't really see Zion averaging more than 18/8 a night -- they load manage his minutes, and, honestly, he has never been some AWESOME rebounder (not in college, tourney play, summer league or preseason).  

Ja needs some BAD games (with no cheap fake garbage-time stats) COUPLED WITH several MONSTER games; a few 30/20 games, a couple of triple doubles, and a random 50 point game.  Then the Pels would have to surge into the playoffs while the Grizzlies fade down the stretch.

Perhaps the Race For 8th and the ROY " potential horse race" (media narrative mostly) are the main, compelling parallel narratives down the stretch.  The Freak Bucks look to run away with the East, with their ring leader looking to run away with the MVP hardware.

I don't think there's anything that can make him win the ROY. If you remember Embiid's "rookie year" he averaged 20.2 points, 8 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks, but only played 31 games. He had the best numbers, but didn't play in enough games to deserve it. There's a little bit more games left for Zion, but there's going to be some load management as well so really only about 35 games left at most. 

Just now, Rdk4121 said:

I don't think there's anything that can make him win the ROY. If you remember Embiid's "rookie year" he averaged 20.2 points, 8 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks, but only played 31 games. He had the best numbers, but didn't play in enough games to deserve it. There's a little bit more games left for Zion, but there's going to be some load management as well so really only about 35 games left at most. 

True.

Embiid didn't have one-tenth of Zion's hype though (although he did have SOME hype, especially for him being a 3rd pick, or was it 4?).

That's a great stat line though -- don't see anything that shows me that even a HEALTHY Zion would average 20/8 or more than that.  8ish is what he is as a rebounder.  20 a night might be on the HIGH side if they regulate his minutes.  

But, Embiid's team was JUNK.  

Zion's team is ALREADY in the playoff hunt -- WITHOUT HIM.

Will Zion have to essentially RUN the table AND get lucky by having Ja and the Grizzlies FADE down the stretch?  Pretty much.  Even then I think they would be co-MVP's.  Although Zion has to fend off Michael Porter, Jr., Tyler Herro, Kendrick Nunn and probably one/a couple of Coby White, RJ Barrett, PJ Washington, Eric Paschall, Brandon Clarke, Darius Garland, and Sekou Doumbouya to even make ALL ROOKIE 1st Team.

So... Zion is closer to being behind the 8 ball of even making ALL ROOKIE 1st team, than he is in surpassing Ja Morant to be the ROY front-runner.

16/8/3/1/1 in 35ish games might be the MINIMUM needed for Zion Williamson to sneak into the All Rookie 1st team.  However I think he gets onto the All Rookie Second team just based off reputation, hype, and buzz.  For the 2nd team I think he only needs to play 30 or 31 games (the Embiid Line) with 14/7/2 (with a few highlights and steals/blocks) per night.  

Mavs running into some injury misfortune.

The announcement's around Kristaps Porzingis's knee remind me of the Parsons days. (Soreness, rest, soon ready, maybe next game, out a little longer as knee isn't responding), but the devastating injury is Powell's.

Powell’s injury is particularly bad as a big guy whose game is so reliant on athleticism. I’m sure he’ll come back from this but he may need to change his game significantly.

12 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Mavs running into some injury misfortune.

The announcement's around Kristaps Porzingis's knee remind me of the Parsons days. (Soreness, rest, soon ready, maybe next game, out a little longer as knee isn't responding), but the devastating injury is Powell's.

If Dallas wants JV, do we trade him for GSW 2nd?

4 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

If Dallas wants JV, do we trade him for GSW 2nd?

The only thing I want off the Mavs is LUKA.  Unless we are only trading a glorified accounting entry like Iggy.

SA beat NO ( Zion look very great...) and up at 8 at seed. Good for us, just show that we are still far from a PO contender. We play better than expected this year, so let's to kids continue to learn and let's see where we go. But definitly some team in our group are better than us (SA.NO, Portland)

53 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

SA beat NO ( Zion look very great...) and up at 8 at seed. Good for us, just show that we are still far from a PO contender. We play better than expected this year, so let's to kids continue to learn and let's see where we go. But definitly some team in our group are better than us (SA.NO, Portland)

How are we "far from a PO contender" when we're a half game out of 8th mid way through the year? Makes no sense. Who knows if we'll make it, but we aren't far from it. The hyperbole is real.

8 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

How are we "far from a PO contender" when we're a half game out of 8th mid way through the year? Makes no sense. Who knows if we'll make it, but we aren't far from it. The hyperbole is real.

Lol, this.

The team just went 8-3 in the last 11 games and y'all wanna be goofy because of a blowout loss to a playoff team on the road.

2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Lol, this.

The team just went 8-3 in the last 11 games and y'all wanna be goofy because of a blowout loss to a playoff team on the road.