Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

Mike Conley came in pretty clutch for us yesterday. Can't believe he and Gobert haven't figured out some kind of rhythm yet... Conley is one of the best pick n roll guards around and he just can't seem to make plays w Gobert. 

13 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Mike Conley came in pretty clutch for us yesterday. Can't believe he and Gobert haven't figured out some kind of rhythm yet... Conley is one of the best pick n roll guards around and he just can't seem to make plays w Gobert. 

Gasol was popping out and Gobert was rolling. Honestly when the big is rolling it requires a little more passing skill and a little more on the fly decision making because more weak side defenders get involved in the play when the big is rolling.  When it's pick and pop its usually just 2 on 2 and if help comes the big is the one who makes the next decision after he catches. 

I still can't believe the NBA chose to do this stupid potential play-in rule for the 8th seed. People have already talked about how it's obviously to try and get Zion in the playoffs for marketing. 

But it's such a stupid idea, especially with the 4 games back cutoff. If the logic is that the season is shortened and a 9th place team may have overtaken the 8th place team with more games, 4 games is still far too big a gap. When the season ends, every team will have played about 72 games, meaning 10 games would be cut. How many times has a team that was 4 games behind with 10 games left gone on to overtake the 8th team? If it was 1 or 2 games back, I might have less beef with this, but it's ludicrous. 

It's not like Ja is not marketable. He's already one of the most exciting PGs in the game, if not just one of the most exciting players in general. They also run the risk of someone like Sacramento or San Antonio making it, and I don't think fans will tune in to see those teams get destroyed by Lebron. 

It basically means that Memphis has to outplay the next 4 teams chasing them to make sure they don't need a play-in situation, which is ridiculous. Memphis could go 6-2, and if one other team behind them matches that, Memphis still has to go through a play-in? Wtf NBA....? Just Wtf...?

4 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

JV's feast ...JV's feast ...; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language....
13's fouls are bad, but they are accidental ...one day (hopefully) he's gonna fix it...on the other hand Dillon is selfish on purpose and he will never change...it's just who he is...he's NOT a starter....
i know it's stupid and best we probably get for our assets (it's too early to spend them) is someone like Buddy...but my dream future SG is someone like young Oladipo....at 40 i would take a flyer on Leandro Bolmaro from Argentina.

So Dillon can't change his spots but Jaren can? I don't know if that isn't as much wishful thinking as reality. 

With 3ish minutes left this Blazers game might go down to the wire.  Win this one and we are in the driver's seat.  Especially with Zion on a minutes restriction for the next two tilts (which includes our game I think).  

We need that 4 game lead so we go straight to 8.  5-3 could do it.  Bring on the Lake Lake Show!

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Portland and Memphis are gonna go to the play in game, all these other teams are garbage

we will see

Pelicans got destroyed tonight, puts them at 4.5 back. Obviously we've got the Spurs, who are 3 back of us currently. That is the biggest must win, cause a win against them pretty much eliminates them. Portland gets Boston tomorrow as well. 

10 hours ago, Dwash said:

Zion has stats but he isn't much of a winner right now.  Teams be going hard at him. 

I didn’t watch the NOP-LAC game. Why did Zion play so few minutes? Still being held back for medical reasons or was it related to his play?

3 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I didn’t watch the NOP-LAC game. Why did Zion play so few minutes? Still being held back for medical reasons or was it related to his play?

They were bombing threes on his head and he didnt do much on offense, stripped a few times.  Could have been medical too however. 

7 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Minutes restriction.  And if he's on a 15-minute minutes restriction, the coach is going to get blasted for not playing him at the proper time.  Play him early, he's criticized for not saving him for late.  Save him for later, and he would be criticized for either playing in a game when it is already a blowout or playing him after he's been sitting out for so long (if there was a reinjury).

I believe he is off the restriction against the Grizzlies.

For those scoreboard watching today 4 of 5 teams behind Grizz playing today. While battling the Spurs, Celtics taking on Portland and start before the Spurs game.

Other games of note is Kings v Magic and Mavs v Suns.

Portland is 2.5 games back

Spurs sit 3 behind Grizz.

Kings sit 3.5 behind Kings

(Pelicans 4 games back)

Suns sit 5 games back

I'm trying to convince myself that the Pelicans actually don't benefit as much from their schedule as we previously thought. While we play teams with better records, the Pelicans will be playing teams the remainder of the way that are all playing for their playoff lives.

Kings will be going all-out in their 2 games, Spurs will as well (don't see a Pop-led team mailing it in), obviously we're going to be completely dialed in, and the Nets are so brutally bad that even the Wizards could be fighting to make it within 6 games of the Nets when they play against the Pelicans.

Who would we realistically prefer to play in the play-in games?

If Wizards win against Brooklyn in the game that's going on right now, they'd be within 5 games of the Nets. The Nets roster is so awful I don't see them winning any of their remainder games in the bubble.

Wizards' best shot at winning another game would be against the Pelicans. Basically, I'll be rooting for the Wizards to win today and for the Nets to continue losing - maybe Wizards can shock the Pels and lend us a hand.

Obviously a big day with Grizz v Pelicans.

A little unexpectedly, could use some Sixers help as they play Spurs today in only other game that matters to Grizzlies. 

Spurs sit 2 behind Grizz

Portland is 2.5 games back

Kings/Pelicans sit 3.5 behind back

Suns sit 4 games back

Bucks have started resting players (Matthews and Brook Lopez) , I won't be surprised if we don't see Giannis, Middleton, etc that last game before the playoffs. 

The Jazz are certainly our best chance for win coming up. They haven't been the same with Bojan. OKC is another team we've had some success against this year. Raptors might kill us, but I think we match up pretty well against them. Boston might very well rest players if they are locked into the 3 seed by that point. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Bucks have started resting players (Matthews and Brook Lopez) , I won't be surprised if we don't see Giannis, Middleton, etc that last game before the playoffs. 

The Jazz are certainly our best chance for win coming up. They haven't been the same with Bojan. OKC is another team we've had some success against this year. Raptors might kill us, but I think we match up pretty well against them. Boston might very well rest players if they are locked into the 3 seed by that point. 

Thunder won't have Shroeder either, and he's been a key player for them (6th man of the year candidate). Would be such a Grizzlies move to lose our 3 easiest games and win some of our tougher games.

Update: Bucks only played Giannis and Middleton 16 minutes each tonight (and none of the starters played more than 20 minutes). And that was in a very close game (Nets won by 3). 

If the Nets can beat the Bucks, we can beat the Bucks.

D Booker just made a ridiculous game winner.  Had no idea that the Suns were now only one game out of 9th!?  Looking like they found something by going smaller with Cam Johnson/Bridges at forward.  Add in Warriors return and T Wolves with Russell/Kat and West could have 15 potential 30+win teams.