Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

On 2/24/2020 at 1:51 PM, ALT GRIND said:

I would think that our “future guys” are/include Ja/Melton/Josh/Clarke/Jonas. I want to see a lot of that lineup.  Not saying they should start games — or even finish games but I would like to see how much “potential” that lineup has.

this lineup still has ****** spacing, what's wrong with you guys?

4 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

cool ... those reports definitely note that Ja is not looking for his until the fourth.

this is the part where we hit them with the change-up:

Ja -> out of the gate pushing. 

It is clear that when he decides he won't be denied - he is right. 

Just gonna need that decision to be made at the tip.

It seems to me that Ja was a lot more aggressive earlier in the game earlier in the season. As the season has wound on he seems to be picking his opportunities more later in the game. It is possible that the grind of playing so many games is starting to take its toll on his body and that is why he isn't being a dynamic as he was earlier in the season. 

I don't know this for a fact but it seems to me he is hitting the rookie wall somewhat. 

I wish Ja would just start shooting way more at the start

2k dropped his mid range shots to a B+. He's better than that 

If Ja has a second wind, hopefully he gets it soon.

Zion is hulking up at the moment.

Not that is the narrative... but that is the narrative.

In other news, Steph Curry is back Saturday.  Or, Sunday.  One of these days....  Yeah, we will struggle against the Warriors WITH STEPH once he returns but so will the other teams.  As long as the Warriors help beat up some of the teams below us, Steph coming back could be a NET POSITIVE for us.  Or... NOT. Depends on the break down of games.  Do they play the Pelicans/Spurs/Blazers a lot?  Maybe even the Jazz, Rockets, Mavs, or/and Thunder hit an inopportune losing streak.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

If Ja has a second wind, hopefully he gets it soon.

Zion is hulking up at the moment.

Not that is the narrative... but that is the narrative.

In other news, Steph Curry is back Saturday.  Or, Sunday.  One of these days....  Yeah, we will struggle against the Warriors WITH STEPH once he returns but so will the other teams.  As long as the Warriors help beat up some of the teams below us, Steph coming back could be a NET POSITIVE for us.  Or... NOT. Depends on the break down of games.  Do they play the Pelicans/Spurs/Blazers a lot?  Maybe even the Jazz, Rockets, Mavs, or/and Thunder hit an inopportune losing streak.

I notice talk of Co-ROTY on undisputed today. I hope Ja gets it but I could see that happen 

34 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I notice talk of Co-ROTY on undisputed today. I hope Ja gets it but I could see that happen 

It’s Ja’s to lose.  He needs a few “statement games”.  

It might come down to the playoffs.  Can’t argue with that.  If so, co-ROY might be a better option than Ja winning it out right.  

Ja SHOULD be able to put it away but Zion is playing at an MVP level (at least within 5 feet of the bucket on offense) and the Grizzlies are in a minor funk.  

If Zion goes nuts in a game — something like 50/20 then he might be in full control of the ROY narrative going down the stretch.  

A triple double or 3 and a random 40 pointer would help Ja clinch it (assume we win 40 or 41 games but some other team like the Blazers or Spurs makes the playoffs).

I hope Zion wins the ROY outright. 

Ja can use that as even more motivation to work harder this off-season and come back even more impressive next season. The award means nothing to me. I want to see him become the best PG in the league wearing Memphis on the front of his jersey.

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Ja can use that as even more motivation to work harder this off-season and come back even more impressive next season. The award means nothing to me. I want to see him become the best PG in the league wearing Memphis on the front of his jersey.

I want Ja and the Grizzlies to finish strong. That would favor Ja for ROY.

Ja will find some chips on his shoulder. Real or imagined.

5 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

For the first time in my life, today  i support Boston and Fakers !!!

Just gonna post about the Lakers jumping out early on Gumbo Mamba and the boys.  

New Orleans playing Lakers tough. Gotta be honest, if Im the NBA I am doing everything I can to make this first round matchup happen. You not only got Zion, you got the AD vs. Ingram/Lonzo scenario. Then you have what looks like a somewhat competitive matchup. Could be one of the most watched 1-8 series in history.

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

New Orleans playing Lakers tough. Gotta be honest, if Im the NBA I am doing everything I can to make this first round matchup happen. You not only got Zion, you got the AD vs. Ingram/Lonzo scenario. Then you have what looks like a somewhat competitive matchup. Could be one of the most watched 1-8 series in history.

It certainly appears that is what they're trying to make happen given the fact that Zion had 19 free throw attempts tonight. lol... Twelve games into his NBA career and he's already getting superstar calls.  When was the last time any Grizzly had even half that number of FTA's in a game?  

11 hours ago, Dwash said:

100% agree, and not sure even if a healthy Portland has as any way to compete with Lakers, unless Dame is going 50+ each night.

11 hours ago, Joey Crawford said:

Lakers took care of business and beat the Pelicans.      So that helps the grizzlies.

Yeah it really did.

Zion was doing work at center.  Not sure why LeBron didn't play center.  That could very well be their path to a championship -- use LeBron at center and tell AD to stretch the floor all the way out to the 3 point line or GTFO.

Zion is sure fun to watch -- but the Pelicans have basically been mediocre since his regular season debut.  AND, I looked at their remaining schedule and it doesn't look THAT easy (not a bunch of "gimme games").

The Spurs actually have fewer losses than both the Blazers and the Pelicans.

Zion Ball and Rockets Ball is gonna lead to C's going small as well as the Lakers playing LeBron at the 5.  

Our path to the playoffs (and Ja's path to ROY) also goes through small ball.  We need Ja Morant doing Ja Morant things with one athletic rim runner/rim protector/primary rebounder starting (Jordan Bell?), along with solid athletic shooters/scorers defenders -- so a rotation of Melton/Dillon/Josh/Konchar/Yuta.

Tyus/Dusty get the backup point guard minutes, maybe even some 2 point guard sets with Tyus or Dusty playing along side Morant (or Melton).

I think Josh Pastner started this BS with his "four guard lineup" at the University of Memphis State University (or whatever they call it...).  I used to make snarky posts that they should go FULL THROTTLE (or did I say full-frontal???) and go with a FIVE GUARD LINEUP.  

IRONICALLY, we had teams that would have been PERFECT for a FIVE GUARD LINEUP.  Joe Jackson/Barton Boys/Chris Crawford with DJ Stephens at center.  Or, later, Geron Johnson playing the Russell Westbrook role once Antonio Barton left.

So, yeah, Pastner Ball is running the show now.

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Our path to the playoffs (and Ja's path to ROY) also goes through small ball.  We need Ja Morant doing Ja Morant things with one athletic rim runner/rim protector/primary rebounder starting (Jordan Bell?), along with solid athletic shooters/scorers defenders -- so a rotation of Melton/Dillon/Josh/Konchar/Yuta.

But see that's why Jaren is a Unicorn.  Because he is basically a 6'11' guard on offense anyway that can protect the rim on the other side.   Brandon also fits because he can guard all 5 positions while protecting rim and finishing lobs.     Add to that Justise who can guard 1-4 and play like a guard on offense too.     Ja + Dillon/Josh/Melton/Grayson + Justise +Brandon + Jaren are present and future-proof. 

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

But see that's why Jaren is a Unicorn.  Because he is basically a 6'11' guard on offense anyway that can protect the rim on the other side.   Brandon also fits because he can guard all 5 positions while protecting rim and finishing lobs.     Add to that Justise who can guard 1-4 and play like a guard on offense too.     Ja + Dillon/Josh/Melton/Grayson + Justise +Brandon + Jaren are present and future-proof. 

Yeah, Jaren looked like one of the FEW big men during All Star Weekend who looked like he actually belonged.  Excluding Zion who is either the center of the future or the BUST of the future, Luka (the power forward of the future), and Bam Adebayo who didn't do much on THE BIG STAGE but won the Skills Gimmick Side Show who looks like a legit big man.  Maybe THE legit big man of this new decade.

Well, Jaren ain't here now.  So... Bell can be our rim running/rim protector.  Solid rebounder and actually a decent passer too.  Start him at the 5 with Dieng as the backup center.

If you NEED a big man bull pen (one or two of each archetypes) then we have that with Jaren, Dieng, and Bell.  Is Jonas the big man nostalgia act of the future?  Maybe.  

We also have some guys who can switch and mix/match at the wing spots or and the forward spots BUT we need some legit SHOOTERS.

Turn some #GRIND types into shooters by consolidating or by hoping they get better at shooting.

LEGIT about to do a PastnerBall (four guard lineup innovator.  I actually INVENTED the concept of the FIVE GUARD LINEUP but don't hold that against me) Small Ball 100 Player Mother of all Big Boards.

Im just glad we made the trades because i cant' watch another game where Jonas is the only Big we have.     Bell and Dieng are at least serviceable if played correctly.    Josh Tyus and Melton are gonna really prove their worth.  If Ja wants to cement his ROY status him dropping multiple 30+ games will do the trick. 

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Im just glad we made the trades because i cant' watch another game where Jonas is the only Big we have.     Bell and Dieng are at least serviceable if played correctly.    Josh Tyus and Melton are gonna really prove their worth.  If Ja wants to cement his ROY status him dropping multiple 30+ games will do the trick. 

We pretty much have to go with small ball now.  Jaren is out. Clarke is out.  Jonas is playing sluggish and Slo Mo is just too slow and a non-shooter.  Yuta might be his replacement sooner rather than later.  FastMo Watanabe has gotta be a thing.

Start Bell.  Bring Dieng off the bench.  You CAN play both together sometimes but that would depend on the matchups.

Yeah, other than that, it is gonna be Ja along with a lone big man then a bunch of guards/wings.  Throw 'em all out there.  If Kyle plays maybe use him as a point center.

#SmallBallOrBust

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

We pretty much have to go with small ball now.  Jaren is out. Clarke is out.  Jonas is playing sluggish and Slo Mo is just too slow and a non-shooter.  Yuta might be his replacement sooner rather than later.  FastMo Watanabe has gotta be a thing.

Start Bell.  Bring Dieng off the bench.  You CAN play both together sometimes but that would depend on the matchups.

Yeah, other than that, it is gonna be Ja along with a lone big man then a bunch of guards/wings.  Throw 'em all out there.  If Kyle plays maybe use him as a point center.

#SmallBallOrBust

Wouldn't be the craziest thing u suggested.

Ja/Tyus

Melton/Konchar

Dillon/Yuta

Josh/Anderson

Bell/Dieng/Jonas

Yea we are done with both Jaren and Clarke out.

I think we should forget about the playoffs and develop our key guys especially JA he should take multiple shots especially from 3.

8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Wouldn't be the craziest thing u suggested.

Ja/Tyus

Melton/Konchar

Dillon/Yuta

Josh/Anderson

Bell/Dieng/Jonas

Yeah.

That's pretty much it.

You probably also play Dusty more.  Give Marko one more shot -- or three.

Kyle might need a few nights off.

Then the bench mob would be Tyus/Konchar/Marko/Yuta/Dieng.

Dusty is either the 12th man -- or the 6th man.  Instant offense.  Early. Or, often.

Watching the Lakers/Pelicans game last night... hopefully no one tells LeBron that his ONE PATH to the title this season is if he plays the FIVE basically full-time.

Zion  and the Gang needs to go Full Rockets Ball full-time basically, too.

Basically we need to turn Ja Morant into the Patrick Mahomes of the NBA.  Surround him with high octane shooters/scorers/athletes and AT LEAST one rim runner/rim protector on the court AT ALL TIMES.  You can still stockpile bigs, but bring most all of them off the bench.

MoreyBall blew up the league.

30 teams have less than 30 games to figure it out.

#MarchMadness

17 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Coming around to this train of thought. Ja seems to be very much fueled by being underrated throughout his time playing basketball. Wouldn't mind adding a little extra to that chip on his shoulder.