Grizzled Vet

The overly optimistic, highly unlikely 19-20 playoff thread

Worried about not having JJJ. I'm giving us a 29% chance to make it.     Pels are coming on strong. 

It's over. JJJ being down for the next 2 weeks (where we have winnable games) and ending the season on a brutal 17-game stretch where we'll be lucky to win even 5 games means this one's going to Portland or New Orleans.

Maybe the ping pong balls give us another favorable outcome, otherwise let's regroup and hope for continued internal growth and improvement.

wait... whuhh?

run into a little adversity and ya'll tuckin' tail ?

oh well *something something something * next year?

we *words words stuff * overachieved ?

ALLHEART 

I'm out here !

Throw it up already !

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

wait... whuhh?

run into a little adversity and ya'll tuckin' tail ?

oh well *something something something * next year?

we *words words stuff * overachieved ?

ALLHEART 

I'm out here !

Throw it up already !

I've been saying this since before this month even started. This schedule is too much to overcome - it's not the losses against SAC and LAL, as those were somewhat expected, it's the culmination of young team + tough schedule + injury to Jaren. 

Still want them to win every game, but it's unrealistic to expect that we'll sneak into the playoffs. Actually look at our schedule, be honest and ask yourself how many of those last 17 games you think we'll actually win. I'm flagging this now because it's better to understand why we'll struggle than point to items that wouldn't have affected the outcome anyways (I can just see the threads now: "Dillon extension doomed this team" "Trading Jae and Solomon messed up our chemistry" "blah blah blah").

Just now, Rdk4121 said:

I wonder if Jordan bell will get some playing time with jaren out? We could also really use Winslow right now. 

It is an unfortunate situation but really fortunate that we just picked up another backup PF and C at the deadline.      If Jordan doesn't play now then he never will.    I hope he gets a look.    Wouldn't mind seeing he and BC get some minutes together.         Josh + Brandon + Bell would be an uber-athletic frontcourt. 

45 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

It is an unfortunate situation but really fortunate that we just picked up another backup PF and C at the deadline.      If Jordan doesn't play now then he never will.    I hope he gets a look.    Wouldn't mind seeing he and BC get some minutes together.         Josh + Brandon + Bell would be an uber-athletic frontcourt. 

Bell was one of BC's most discussed player comps when he was going through the draft process. BC has since developed a serviceable shot that has changed his outlook, but would be interesting to see us double down on the same type of rim-running, athletic, undersized type of player in the line-up.

Just now, ACGrizz said:

Bell was one of BC's most discussed player comps when he was going through the draft process. BC has since developed a serviceable shot that has changed his outlook, but would be interesting to see us double down on the same type of rim-running, athletic, undersized type of player in the line-up.

Well the HOU game would be the time to do it.   If we don't see it then prob never see it. 

Just looking at this last bit of this year's schedule. Should be able to get atleast 39 wins........only problem is it'll probably take 41-42ish to make it in.

I know it's cliche and a bit philosophical, but it's during the most trying times that the greatest growth occurs. 

Maybe someone on our team steps up their game because now they have to; Brandon?  Josh Jackson?

Maybe someone unexpected will step up and take a big leap forward; Yuta?  

Maybe Ja (who has surprised all of us with his maturity and growth) will take the next step in his development towards being the superstar he is destined to be.

I would think that our “future guys” are/include Ja/Melton/Josh/Clarke/Jonas. I want to see a lot of that lineup.  Not saying they should start games — or even finish games but I would like to see how much “potential” that lineup has.

26 minutes ago, cdp said:

Just looking at this last bit of this year's schedule. Should be able to get atleast 39 wins........only problem is it'll probably take 41-42ish to make it in.

We have to hope Zion hits the rookie wall.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Hulk-Bruce-Banner-Iconic-Marvel-Comics-r

Yea uhhhhmmmm about that wall. 

That’s pretty much what I thought too (not sure where I posted it).  Yeah, I might feel bad for the wall.  lol

Just now, ALT GRIND said:

That’s pretty much what I thought too (not sure where I posted it).  Yeah, I might feel bad for the wall.  lol

He is pretty much 6'6' Shaq.  He is basically thriving using Brute Strength and athleticism.   Only thing that will slow him down at this age is health.    He isn't good defensively nor is he really playmaking but there aren't many that can prevent him from attacking basket with force.    So from simple production standpoint Zion will always be a force.  Which is all that ESPN gonna pump up anyway.   Its like Blake Griffin Rookie season all over again. 

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

We have to hope Zion hits the rookie wall.

Speaking of rookie wall, Ja looks like he hit it headed into allstar weekend,  those flashy splash plays that happened multiple times every game are going to get fewer and far between 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Hulk-Bruce-Banner-Iconic-Marvel-Comics-r

Yea uhhhhmmmm about that wall. 

Maybe Zion will get suspended a few games for punching a hole through the rookie wall.

5 hours ago, cdp said:

I could see that. 

I 'm sure making bet on how many game we win is very accurate. Nobody predict the number of game we got in January so it's hard to tell.

The only things sure for me is that : We will have to play much better than last 3 or 4 games of we want to have a chance. It means dillon back to January stat, more defense, JV get his hands right, JA not sleeping 3 quarter before wake up and the bench contributing a lot. And if ( miracle do exist),  Marko can hit some shoot, it won't hurt either... 

Doubtful Zion hits any kind of wall as he's only playing in at most 38 games with an all star break in there somewhere. That's just a college season. 

6 hours ago, Dwash said:

Scouting reports have finally reached the entire NBA on this team. It was a nice run. 

Not good 

11 hours ago, Dwash said:

Scouting reports have finally reached the entire NBA on this team. It was a nice run. 

cool ... those reports definitely note that Ja is not looking for his until the fourth.

this is the part where we hit them with the change-up:

Ja -> out of the gate pushing. 

It is clear that when he decides he won't be denied - he is right. 

Just gonna need that decision to be made at the tip.

17 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

cool ... those reports definitely note that Ja is not looking for his until the fourth.

this is the part where we hit them with the change-up:

Ja -> out of the gate pushing. 

It is clear that when he decides he won't be denied - he is right. 

Just gonna need that decision to be made at the tip.

Also notice when he does go "Ja mode"  it typically isn't the starting lineup on the floor.      Its more attacking players with better spacing. 

Let's not forget that the real reason for optimism is that we have found our cornerstones (Ja and Jaren) and there is a blueprint for their future success.      

• Play at fast pace
  • surround them with 3dwings and spacing
  • back them up with Mobile bigs
  • Even better we already have some of those pieces already on roster.  Tyus, Melton, Justise, Brandon, Dillon  Gorgui, Grayson have shown ability to be those types.  

So Grizznation keep your heads up!    Future is still really bright.   Plus we will have our own pick next season in a much better draft.   Still avenues to add real talent and get us over the hump in the future.